Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,567

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98371 Apr 3, 2013
You are simply wrong wrote:
<quoted text>You have translated the Bible? You are literate in Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic , Ancient Greek and Classical Latin?
WRONG terminology translation on your part, but thank you for eing a classic example of WHY a broader ranged reading comprehension is far more desirable when discussing some subject.
Try applying the third referenced descriptive, THEN reread the paragraph again.
translate
&#8194; Use Translate in a sentence
trans·late
[trans-leyt, tranz-, trans-leyt, tranz-] Show IPA verb, trans·lat·ed, trans·lat·ing.
verb (used with object)
to turn from one language into another or from a foreign language into one's own: to translate Spanish.
to change the form, condition, nature, etc., of; transform; convert: to translate wishes into deeds.
to explain in terms that can be more easily understood; interpret.
to bear, carry, or move from one place, position, etc., to another; transfer.
Mechanics . to cause (a body) to move without rotation or angular displacement; subject to translation.
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98372 Apr 3, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
Is that enough contridictions in the bible or shall I keep copying and pasting?
Most critics of the Bible assume that because something is unexplained it is unexplainable. When a scientist comes across an anomaly in nature he doesn’t give up on science. How many NASA scientists resigned when they found rings around Jupiter which was contrary to all scientific explanations?

When the Bible has been proven to be accurate over and over again in hundreds of details the burden of proof is on the critics, not on the Bible.

Most skeptics do not bring to the Bible the powers of comprehension and interpretation, that they would bring to a reading of the average newspaper. Perhaps this uneven treatment should not be surprising. After all, the skeptic has much to lose if the Bible is right

I have taken several of your so called contridictions and proven them NOT TO BE A CONTRIDICTION AT ALL.....Now as I stated above THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS IN YOU SIR... All I see you doing is posting verses, then merely stating it is a contridiction...PROVE IT~
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98373 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text> You are literate in Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic , Ancient Greek and Classical Latin?
and NO, NO, NO and NO.

Nor do I feel some socio-illogical need to even pretend to be.:-).
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98374 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>You are the one ignoring science and logic and therefore ignoring intellect. The fossil record you alluded to predates human history by about 65 million years. You can not use it to say anything about humans.
Wrong. The one I reference to was about 543 million years ago until 490 million years ago.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#98376 Apr 3, 2013
A religie posted,

"when God ordered Joshua and his people to kill every man, woman and child in Canaan?[13] What crime could be so great that entire populations of cities were designated for destruction? God told Moses that the nations that the Hebrew were replacing were wicked.[14] How "wicked" were these people? The text tells us that they were burning their own sons and daughters in sacrifices to their gods.[15] So we see that these people were not really innocent. For these reasons (and others 16), God ordered the destruction of the peoples whom the Israelites dispossessed.
Do you need further explanation on this subject?"

I just picture Lt. columbo saying,

"Ok, theres's just one more thing. Did the sacrifice of every man, women and child in canaan satisfy your god?"

And I really never liked columbo, weird.
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98377 Apr 3, 2013
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
Most critics of the Bible assume that because something is unexplained it is unexplainable. When a scientist comes across an anomaly in nature he doesn’t give up on science. How many NASA scientists resigned when they found rings around Jupiter which was contrary to all scientific explanations?
When the Bible has been proven to be accurate over and over again in hundreds of details the burden of proof is on the critics, not on the Bible.
Most skeptics do not bring to the Bible the powers of comprehension and interpretation, that they would bring to a reading of the average newspaper. Perhaps this uneven treatment should not be surprising. After all, the skeptic has much to lose if the Bible is right
I have taken several of your so called contridictions and proven them NOT TO BE A CONTRIDICTION AT ALL.....Now as I stated above THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS IN YOU SIR... All I see you doing is posting verses, then merely stating it is a contridiction...PROVE IT~
contradiction**

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#98382 Apr 3, 2013
contradiction.........question ........

Who first came to the tomb on Sunday morning?
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98385 Apr 3, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
A religie posted,
"when God ordered Joshua and his people to kill every man, woman and child in Canaan?[13] What crime could be so great that entire populations of cities were designated for destruction? God told Moses that the nations that the Hebrew were replacing were wicked.[14] How "wicked" were these people? The text tells us that they were burning their own sons and daughters in sacrifices to their gods.[15] So we see that these people were not really innocent. For these reasons (and others 16), God ordered the destruction of the peoples whom the Israelites dispossessed.
"Ok, theres's just one more thing. Did the sacrifice of every man, women and child in canaan satisfy your god?"
That just goes beyond Scripture and I am not going to speculate!
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#98390 Apr 3, 2013
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
That just goes beyond Scripture and I am not going to speculate!
ARE YOU A GENUINE CHRISTIAN?
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
2. How do you define Christian love?—1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#98391 Apr 3, 2013
Jeremiah 25:32,33
Dead bodies from one end of the earth to the other end

“This is what Jehovah of armies has said,‘Look! A calamity is going forth from nation to nation, and a great tempest itself will be roused up from the remotest parts of the earth. 33 And those slain by Jehovah will certainly come to be in that day from one end of the earth clear to the other end of the earth. They will not be bewailed, neither will they be gathered up or be buried. As manure on the surface of the ground they will become.’
34 “Howl, YOU shepherds (false religious leaders), and cry out! And wallow about, YOU majestic ones of the flock, because YOUR days for slaughtering and for YOUR scatterings have been fulfilled, and YOU must fall like a desirable vessel! 35 And a place to flee to has perished from the shepherds, and a means of escape from the majestic ones of the flock. 36 Listen! The outcry of the shepherds, and the howling of the majestic ones of the flock, for Jehovah is despoiling their pasturage. 37 And the peaceful abiding places have been rendered lifeless because of the burning anger of Jehovah. 38 He has left his covert just like a maned young lion, for their land has become an object of astonishment because of the maltreating sword and because of his burning anger.”
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#98392 Apr 3, 2013
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org
that guy

Mount Ida, AR

#98397 Apr 3, 2013
Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived
that guy

Mount Ida, AR

#98398 Apr 3, 2013
One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously; but to take it seriously one must be already mad
that guy

Mount Ida, AR

#98401 Apr 3, 2013
Scientists do not join hands every Sunday and sing "Yes gravity is real! I know gravity is real! I will have faith! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about the concept
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98404 Apr 3, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
A religie posted,
God, being the Author of life, has the absolute right to take life away whenever He wants to. Simply put, He gives life, He takes it away. Life is His to do with what He wants. He can give it, as the Author, and as the Author, He can take it away again.
In the same way, life is God's possession so God may do with life as He pleases. Now it may sound like I'm simply reducing God's morality to His power. He can do what He wants because He is God. That's not what I am saying because I don't think taking innocent life is patently, on the face of it, immoral. It is immoral when it is done by certain people, and not immoral when it is done by others--or Another.

I am merely stating that there are certain things which are clearly God's prerogative. Can God create something and then destroy what He's created? Yes, He can do as He wishes, though His wishes are constrained by His character so He can't wish something that is immoral or inconsistent with His character. And there is nothing patently immoral about the Creator of life taking away life. It's immoral for us because when we take life, usually we are exercising a prerogative reserved for God alone.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98405 Apr 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You're asking a Mormon if there is beer in heaven? Haha
The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. The Pyramids were built on beer.. Damned upstart uptight religions like Muslims and Mormons...friggin' contrary to progress and productivity.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98407 Apr 3, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
www.jw.org
STOP FRUGGING SPAMMING, SPHINCTER.
You worship satan

Morehead, KY

#98408 Apr 3, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Now you are backpeddling. I was not talking about the IMPOSSIBLE flood. But you think that your god has the right to kill people, and that comes from some man that claims god talks to him? Empty the insane asylums! Your god is evil and the people that worship evil are evil. ACTIONS say evil so your words mean nothing
You worship satan (who tells people to kill) and you have the gull to criticize those who worship Jesus.The old bible had a lot of things that happened and was not of God. Jesus said because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed divorce . And Jesus told them do not kill.Thus the REVELATION of JESUS ,His purpose to come to earth was to change the people's hearts and minds ,and not believe every thing their forefathers said. Jesus is gentle ,kind good. He came to stop the stoning and killing . Read the new testament. Ahh,right ,you worship satan, so you pick out old bible scriptures on wars and ignore all the good things that are in it.JESUS IS LORD.Question-why do you costantly post if you do not believe the bible,does the evil inside of you will not rest until you make sure everyone stops believing? i notice most people post 2 or 3 times,but you never give up? WHY???
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98409 Apr 3, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
contradiction.........question ........
Who first came to the tomb on Sunday morning?
Again I state: a mere difference does not a contradiction make! Truth is not negotiable. Historical statements of fact are not open to question. When we read, for example, that George Washington and his men spent the winter of 1777 enduring wretched conditions at Valley Forge, we are obligated to believe it. Although none of us observed their long, deadly winter, what we know about it is supported by the written testimony of those who were there and by the scholarship of later inquirers who studied the Revolutionary War. The written accounts may differ on a few minor details, but we know that we can trust the record of the historians.
In a historical sense, the resurrection stands on ground that is just as solid as the story of George Washington's winter at Valley Forge. Reliable witnesses wrote about meeting and talking with Jesus after His death. Skeptical enemies noticed His disappearance from the tomb. Extrabiblical, historical reports were given of His resurrection. Eyewitnesses of Jesus' post-death appearances died defending their belief in it.
In order for an honest historian to be convinced that something actually happened, he needs to see two specific criteria met:(1) The event in question must be supported by the testimony of believable, trustworthy witnesses. And (2) the circumstantial evidence must be authentic. When both of these demands are clearly supported by the evidence at hand, the inquirer is compelled by logic to believe that the event actually took place. We will see that each of these criteria is met by the things we know about the resurrection.
Even so, some still don't believe. To make that refusal, a person must not only reject the eyewitness accounts and the circumstantial evidence, but he must make an even greater leap. The person who thinks that the resurrection is a fraud or a hoax must reject the entire New Testament. There can be no picking and choosing. If the resurrection is a hoax, then so is the New Testament and everything Jesus said or did. Claiming that Christ was a great teacher or a prophet--as even most unbelievers attest--while rejecting His resurrection is an impossible position. Consider what Jesus said during His ministry--before the crucifixion:
The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day (Lk. 9:22).
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Mt. 12:40).
Remarkably, Matthew, Mark, and Luke each recorded a simultaneous event that occurred some distance from Calvary. They wrote that as Jesus died, "the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom" (Mk. 15:38). This miraculous event signaled the end of the Old Testament era of animal sacrifice and limited access to God. But that's not all it meant. It also verified Jesus' death, because it demonstrated that His complete sacrifice had satisfied God's demands. For centuries, God had required the death of an unblemished lamb as an atonement for sin. Now Jesus, the sinless Lamb of God, had become the new sacrifice. The veil was no longer needed, for access to God had been opened to all who would believe in Christ.
The following events at the site of the crucifixion help verify that Jesus was dead:
The Roman soldiers did not break Jesus' legs, because they "saw that He was already dead" (Jn. 19:33).
The soldiers plunged a spear into Jesus' side, and from it came both water and blood (Jn. 19:34). Medical experts say that if He were not already dead, this in itself would have killed Him. Others have concluded that the pouring out of water and blood from His side was proof that Jesus was no longer alive.
high question

Morehead, KY

#98410 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Reading the Bible in it’s entirety does not make someone an atheist. It’s listening to the preachers who do the piecemeal ala carte religion to you in your youth and then you eventually learning enough about life and science and math and logic to realize that the preacher was a liar.
The key to it all is that God isn’t the preacher. God isn’t religion. God isn’t the Bible.
The Bible was starting to be written probably about 6000 years ago. It was written for those people who had no science, little math and no leisure time to contemplate God and the Universe. Life was so hard that they needed easy to follow simple rules. They didn’t have the time, the resources or probably the mental acuity to handle more. They were infants. Their job was merely to survive.
2000 years ago came the second, a new testament to replace the old so as to reflect humanity’s better understanding. People had progressed to toddler. The old rules were good for infants, but toddlers have more abilities and can handle greater responsibility. Survival was no longer adequate, now we were expected to care about and respect others.
Our knowledge now has attained the point that we are at the cusp of a Third Testament. Merely playing nice with our siblings isn’t enough. Now we have to clean our room, stop polluting the planet. We are children, and soon, once we can demonstrate that, then we can meet the neighbors’ kids, those other children of God whom we call extraterrestrials.
We are evolving, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. The rules for the infant, were good for the infant, but God expects us to mature and just as children grow they get more responsibility, so do we. Don’t wallow in an infantile religion. Grow, Evolve, Mature. The rules are changing, not because God has, but because we are.
What kind of drug are you on ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darren k west please pick up political signs 1 hr Knox 6
Darren k west come to catron ave get your signs 1 hr Today please 2
Jenny Mills 2 hr Really 3
John w bays 2 hr lol 4
Amanda Jordan 2 hr guy in a truck 17
threesomes (May '11) 7 hr Anonymous 34
Quantummist real name is Paul Mays 7 hr Lmao 2
Devin Eubanks in Jail 8 hr Well 8
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Fri Anonymous 48
Barbourville Dating