Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,696)

Showing posts 93,901 - 93,920 of128,054
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>So you have never read the whole bible, just a verse here and a verse there, skipping around to make the bible say something that it does not say?
Read the whole bible
I have already.

Just because I translate it in a different way (FAR from "literal") does NOT mean I have not read it.

So actually, in my opinion (and actually in FACT) You could not be more WRONG (yup- plunking in that word just to poke right back at ya)
in your assumptions, because I've read it cover to cover.
I just see no need to obsess and froth and make more of the ugly parts than what they're actually intended to represent.

MY opinion.

You're certainly welcome to your negative fixations though, just don't expect everyone to share them likeminded, because they won't. Ever.
That's just reality.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

You are simply wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Donít even try to use paleontology to say anything at all about human history and donít even try archeology prior to about ten thousand years ago.

Sheebus! Read some science will you!
Where TF did you go to school?
Oh bother- talk about FICKLE in a coulple of sentences!!!!!!!!!!

What do you have against using intellect, logic and rationality?

Shame on you!!!!!

lol

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>You not understanding differential calculus does not disprove it. There is nothing logically wrong with it. You just don't get it.
Differential calculus? From a logical standpoint, everything is wrong with it.

You sir, are an idiot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Reading the Bible in itís entirety does not make someone an atheist. Itís listening to the preachers who do the piecemeal ala carte religion to you in your youth and then you eventually learning enough about life and science and math and logic to realize that the preacher was a liar.
The key to it all is that God isnít the preacher. God isnít religion. God isnít the Bible.
The Bible was starting to be written probably about 6000 years ago. It was written for those people who had no science, little math and no leisure time to contemplate God and the Universe. Life was so hard that they needed easy to follow simple rules. They didnít have the time, the resources or probably the mental acuity to handle more. They were infants. Their job was merely to survive.
2000 years ago came the second, a new testament to replace the old so as to reflect humanityís better understanding. People had progressed to toddler. The old rules were good for infants, but toddlers have more abilities and can handle greater responsibility. Survival was no longer adequate, now we were expected to care about and respect others.
Our knowledge now has attained the point that we are at the cusp of a Third Testament. Merely playing nice with our siblings isnít enough. Now we have to clean our room, stop polluting the planet. We are children, and soon, once we can demonstrate that, then we can meet the neighborsí kids, those other children of God whom we call extraterrestrials.
We are evolving, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. The rules for the infant, were good for the infant, but God expects us to mature and just as children grow they get more responsibility, so do we. Donít wallow in an infantile religion. Grow, Evolve, Mature. The rules are changing, not because God has, but because we are.
And all this time I was under the impression that you people thought the bible was the word of your god (divinely guided). It's nice to hear someone from your ilk admit it's just a bunch of stories written by ordinary men.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
In response to post #98210.
I apologize, I haven't been in this conversation, but I'd like to comment on this post and give my understanding of how it happened.
The mountains that were named didn't exist in the pre-flood era.
The water was mostly under the crust of the earth originally and we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things.
The fountains of the great deep broke up and high pressure water from underneath the crust flooded the surface while the water canopy above collapsed and fell to earth as rain.
I think the wording is "all the high hills" and not mountain tops because mountains didn't exist as they do now. The earth was smoother.
After the duration of the flood the unpressurized voids left in the earth began to be filled. The crust that was once above the waters was now collapsing into the voids where the water had been.
As the smoother mass of the earth's crust collapsed in closer to the center there was less space to contain the mass. So the effect, as with anything that you try to cram into a smaller space than it can fit, was for the mountains to push out. In the case of the flood, out of the water. That is why we find aquatic fossils on Everest. It was land that was once underwater, but was pushed up as the earths crust collapsed in closer to the center of the planet.
I heard one time that if the earth's crust was leveled the water would cover it in a depth of about a mile. I'm not sure of the estimated depth, it's been a while since I heard that.
Also, I personnally believe that all radioactive isotopes were probably contained deep in the earth's crust prior to the flood (probably serving some purpose). When the crust was disheveled from the flood and the minerals were re-ordered and stratified the isotopes were mixed in.
Humans today are now constantly exposed to radiation as well as UV which would account for our rapid aging due to the destruction of our cells from the exposure.
There is a verse in the New Testament, one of Peter's books I think, that states that people would scoff at the Bible because they would be ignorant of the fact that the earth was created both in the water and out of the water. In the water, being the water layer of atmosphere. Out of the water, being the water that was once under the crust that now fills the oceans while the crust that was above the water now lies on the ocean's floor.
Thank you.
Astonishing.
See, now there's that point again. Is it "nice" to do this to peoples' minds?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have got to be joking, no one can this in this much denial of reality.
Why do you have an iPhone? Because Apple wanted to make something better than Microsoft.
Why do you have Windows? Because Microsoft wanted to make a better operating system for computer illiterates so even you uneducated morons could use them.
Why do you have food on your table? Because someone wanted a profit so they could buy other things.
It's all envy, all of it, every innovation.
http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfi...

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings!
Just want you to open your eyes to the truth!
If sperm hits an egg, and goes un-interrupted... it
becomes a Baby!
Killing one before it comes out... it's still a baby...
A Dead Baby!
What do you believe?
I believe there are people who value zygotes more than they do children.
I believe there are people who value political and religious control more than they do women's lives.
I believe I will never get pregnant.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings!
Just want you to open your eyes to the truth!
If sperm hits an egg, and goes un-interrupted... it
becomes a Baby!
Killing one before it comes out... it's still a baby...
A Dead Baby!
What do you believe?
You believe that that life begins at conception, right?
You also (I'm assuming) believe that these new life-forms have a "soul", right?
Since these unborn "babies" haven't had a chance to "sin" yet, wouldn't they go straight to "Heaven" if they are terminated?

Seems to me that you people would actually be for abortions.
that guy

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike

You keep believing, I'll keep evolving

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you think people learned to establish nice from not so nice?
Ah think some of it would be from referencing examples of, from stuff like ...books.
What do yew think?
I already told you what I think in post #97988. I would guess that since my writing doesn't have a chapter and verse in front of them, it might be a little difficult for religies to actually read and retain them. Perhaps this will help.

Chrom. 4:1 "I think that the Deuteronomic and Mosaic Laws - along with their predecessors and counterparts in other cultures - were indispensable in promoting civilization among the tribes of the "wilderness". I do not contend that any of them are the works and words of Gods. I think that a longing to fill an emotional hole is what drives religion and "dark age" ignorance. There is nothing wrong with perpetuating a code of ethics and moral laws as long as they are not adhered to simply for the sake of dogma, authoritarianism and tradition. That (and NOT the eternal life fairy tale) might well be the most important lesson of Jesus."

It is clear that there is a mutual benefit and self preservation in being "nice," and it is also clear that the attribute is not confined to the human species.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>That IS why He sent us Jesus!!!
Amen!
"So you say but cann..... nevermind.... You know, you know....
happy

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
God Bless you, and yours!
LOVE THIS POST. True
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>No it's NOT!
We the People want it... even if you few do not!
It's an elective, it's history, it's our heritage!
Take God out of everything and we have the insanity that we have now. Not the answer. Put God back in.. That's the only answer :-)
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I love how good Christians will say that gays are disgusting. I bet when you are pinned down on the issue you fall back to "love the sinner, hate the sin". I think that line of thinking is disgusting and amoral.

Now, regarding your dodge of the raped and murdered children...

You say that we cannot know the mind of God, therefore you are saying there was a good reason for these little girls to be raped and murdered. Otherwise your God allowed an evil thing to happen for a bad reason, correct?

But by claiming to know anything at all about God's motivations or plans then you have some kind of special knowledge of God's mind. How did you come to that knowledge? Did you make a decision to accept the Bible as true? If so, then aren't you just using your own brain to make decisions about God's mind?

Also, I find your line of reasoning quite repugnant to begin with. I don't know about you but when I hear about little kids being raped and murdered it angers me. It makes me sad. I want to reach out and help them. I don't start making justifications for the evil just so I can continue to have my magic beliefs.

You realize you are defending rape and murder, right? Under your rules, I can kill and rape and torture all day long. And if it happens, then it must be a *good* thing because God allowed it to happen. Otherwise God's Top Secret Plan¬ô is not that good, is it?
No reasoning with these type of closed minds. They know it all..
God certainly does not approve of "ANYONE being RAPED". That shows how ignorant you are. But ignorance can change, stupidity.. Well, you're stuck with it...
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
arctic
Love your posts
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Hold on a second...If God sometimes says no, sometimes says wait, and sometimes says yes...how is that different from no God at all?

And did God ever LITERALLY say "wait", or is that a figure of speech? Do you *literally* hear a voice? Who does he sound like? Donald Trump? Ben Kingsly? Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite?

"Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pr...

"Meta-studies of the literature in the field have been performed showing evidence only for no effect or a potentially small effect. For instance, a 2006 meta analysis on 14 studies concluded that there is "no discernable effect" while a 2007 systemic review of intercessory prayer reported inconclusive results, noting that 7 of 17 studies had "small, but significant, effect sizes" but the review noted that the most methodologically rigorous studies failed to produce significant findings"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studies_on_inter...
U ALWAYS CRACK ME UP!
Are u a parent? Did you have a parent? Did they say YES NO MAYBE WAIT! I bet they did!
YES... I have heard audibly ..but wait ... Lol. Why should I tell U how He speaks to me? You always say its not true ...
Have a great day. God bless you
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Hold on a second...If God sometimes says no, sometimes says wait, and sometimes says yes...how is that different from no God at all?

And did God ever LITERALLY say "wait", or is that a figure of speech? Do you *literally* hear a voice? Who does he sound like? Donald Trump? Ben Kingsly? Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite?

"Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pr...

"Meta-studies of the literature in the field have been performed showing evidence only for no effect or a potentially small effect. For instance, a 2006 meta analysis on 14 studies concluded that there is "no discernable effect" while a 2007 systemic review of intercessory prayer reported inconclusive results, noting that 7 of 17 studies had "small, but significant, effect sizes" but the review noted that the most methodologically rigorous studies failed to produce significant findings"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studies_on_inter...
Old data...people have proven PRAYER works but u will never accept the proof..many articles and books on prayer. Even people who HAVE EXPERIENCED DEATH... What abt what they have seen and the warnings they come back with. They have seen the light or the evil side... what abt those ppl?
GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL.. I pray for people like you all the time. I was once lost...so yes I am burdened for your kind. Do you know what that feels like?
You still cannot see the WIND, but its there. Gravity...
The HUMAN BODY alone is PROOF enough that there is a GOD.. But of course you have a better idea...
Hiccup lol
hotdog

Science Hill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
LA LA
You know what

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I will try not to be too snarky. I find Creationism to be intellectually empty so it is not going to be easy.
Ok, so you are proposing that this HUGE layer of water vapor existed in Noah's time, right? What is your reason for coming to this conclusion? The evidence is not there. Citing large plants is not nearly enough evidence to justify this water vapor layer. It would be like trying to explain immense dinosaurs by claiming that all plant life on Earth used to contain special magical nutrients that made things get really huge. There's just no reason to introduce such a weird, outlandish idea.
Here is what Talk Origins says about the water vapor idea:
" Now the "vapor canopy" would form a part of the atmosphere, being a body of gas (water vapor) gravitationally held to the earth. It would in fact be most of the pre-flood atmosphere. There would have to be enough vapor to form 9km of liquid, when condensed, and, therefore the vapor would weigh as much as 9km of water. The pressure at the earth's surface, where Noah and family lived, would be equal to one atmosphere PLUS the weight of a 9km column of water of unit area. This is equivalent to the pressure 9km deep in the ocean. What is this pressure? Well, each 10m of water is roughly equivalent to one atmosphere, so the pressure would be 900 atmospheres. The atmosphere would also have a composition of about 900 parts water vapor to one part of what we call air today.
How could an atmosphere almost 100% water vapor not condense? The temperature would have to be raised to the point where the partial pressure of water equals 900 atmospheres, i.e. the boiling point at that pressure. So we find Noah et al. living in a 13,000psi boiler. Is this credible?"
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/canopy.html
Maybe it was as simple as a high altitude cloud cover. Or maybe it was an ice sphere that separated our sky from space.
It did take 40 days and 40 nights for it to come down. if it was an ice sphere it may have deteriorated from one spot and gradually fell in the form of rain.
that guy

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 93,901 - 93,920 of128,054
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

111 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Beth Sanders 7 min Perhaps 3
Becky Abner. N Richard hicks 40 min Back off 18
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 53 min Hilljack 386
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 55 min me 144,983
Where can I buy Pumpkins seeds to eat? (Oct '12) 1 hr Just Looking 14
michelle P waiver program 1 hr Dannie 27
Barbourville topix 1 hr Just Looking 10
KC Basketball Coach 4 hr Panther 68
•••