Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
93,881 - 93,900 of 128,952 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>No it's NOT!
Yes, I'm afraid it is. Don't blame me, I didn't write the 1st Amendment (although I'm glad Madison had the brilliance to do so).
<quoted text>
We the People want it... even if you few do not!
It's an elective, it's history, it's our heritage!
"We the People want it"... Ahhhh, there it is. George H.W. Bush couldn't have said it better. You Christian Americans think you're the only "real" Americans. Nauseates me at times.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
God has answered prayers for me but He has also said "WAIT" , "not now", or "no"...
Not sure whose God u r talking abt.. How can you even talk abt a God you do not know? That's right! You cannot! I know Him personally. He is wonderful. My God is not the same God you speak of.
THANK YOU GOD for sending Your Son to the cross for MY sins. I don't deserve your Love but I need it and am so grateful. Thank You that you love us anyway, that You desire to spend time with me. Thank you for taking such great care of me!
Yes we all know you hear voices in your head. You've told us repeatedly about it.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

openyoureyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote ďIn a public school it would be unconstitutionalĒ Where in the U.S. Constitution do you find that Lie, or are you referring to Russia, North Korea, China, Iran, Cuba, Iraq, Syria.
Freedom of religion. In order for people to be free to choose their beliefs they must be free from having some one elses beliefs forced on them.
If you choose to teach YOUR children the bible do not expect ME to pay for it

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Wrong!
You lie with every post...
Proving the Bible to be true, and correct!
You think you have morals? NO!
You are one of the nastiest posters on here, and prove it daily!
You make your religion look as ignorant as you, and it is!
God is real, and you will rue the days of your ignorance!
Good day!
I posted the bible verses so they can be read from your bible. So you admit that the bible is a lie?
I am a nasty poster because I posted straight from the bible?

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with YOUR interpretation.
My translation of Bible for modern day world living (versus the wickedness of ways as found within the OT) says we are to LOVE and respect, and be kind one to another. NOT hate, maim, torture, taunt, bully, push, shove, connive, manipulate and whatever other negative dredges of negative negatives.
I feel sorry for you, if you think life should be lived so negatively, because it shouldn't.
So you have never read the whole bible, just a verse here and a verse there, skipping around to make the bible say something that it does not say?
Read the whole bible

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

<quoted text>No it's NOT!
We the People want it... even if you few do not!
It's an elective, it's history, it's our heritage!
You do not understand how a democracy works do you? When 5% of the people want something and 95% of the people say Hell no than it is not going to happen.
Send your kids to private school but hope that they do not read the whole bible or they will become Atheist
You are simply wrong

Clay City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what many theologians call the "mystery" of Christ. By mystery they mean contradiction.
You are suggesting that something can know everything that is going to happen but people within that construct still have free will. This is not logically possible. It is like saying 2+2=3.
You not understanding differential calculus does not disprove it. There is nothing logically wrong with it. You just don't get it.
You are simply wrong

Clay City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what state of matter the water canopy was. The earth was in the water and out of the water so the climate was much milder and consistent. Almost like a large climate controlled biosphere. The evidence is in the fossil record. Tropical type plants of extraordinary size found all over the planet, including the artic regions. Higher percentages of oxygen are found in the lower rock layers also.
Dinosaurs nostrils are too small to allow them to live on earth today because of the lack of atmospheric pressure that was present when the water canopy was in place. Many other things, but I have to go to work. Have a good day.
Tropical Arctic was last in the Jurassic period, about 65 million years before people. Noah could not have existed then. Donít even try to use paleontology to say anything at all about human history and donít even try archeology prior to about ten thousand years ago.

Nostrils are cartilaginous and ectodermal, not bony. NOBODY knows how big their nostrils were. They can guess about the bony portions of cranial sinuses, but not the soft tissues.

If there was a lack of atmospheric pressure, your so called water canopy would collapse.

Sheebus! Read some science will you!
Where TF did you go to school?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
Yes, the christian cult does not want children to read the whole bible, just small parts of it and a lot of christian propaganda
No, bible study is an important part of education. The left wants to teach propaganda about religion, so people even will lose the ability to distinguish the difference between a cult and a religion.
You are simply wrong

Clay City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
Send your kids to private school but hope that they do not read the whole bible or they will become Atheist
Reading the Bible in itís entirety does not make someone an atheist. Itís listening to the preachers who do the piecemeal ala carte religion to you in your youth and then you eventually learning enough about life and science and math and logic to realize that the preacher was a liar.

The key to it all is that God isnít the preacher. God isnít religion. God isnít the Bible.

The Bible was starting to be written probably about 6000 years ago. It was written for those people who had no science, little math and no leisure time to contemplate God and the Universe. Life was so hard that they needed easy to follow simple rules. They didnít have the time, the resources or probably the mental acuity to handle more. They were infants. Their job was merely to survive.

2000 years ago came the second, a new testament to replace the old so as to reflect humanityís better understanding. People had progressed to toddler. The old rules were good for infants, but toddlers have more abilities and can handle greater responsibility. Survival was no longer adequate, now we were expected to care about and respect others.

Our knowledge now has attained the point that we are at the cusp of a Third Testament. Merely playing nice with our siblings isnít enough. Now we have to clean our room, stop polluting the planet. We are children, and soon, once we can demonstrate that, then we can meet the neighborsí kids, those other children of God whom we call extraterrestrials.

We are evolving, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. The rules for the infant, were good for the infant, but God expects us to mature and just as children grow they get more responsibility, so do we. Donít wallow in an infantile religion. Grow, Evolve, Mature. The rules are changing, not because God has, but because we are.
You are simply wrong

Clay City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, bible study is an important part of education. The left wants to teach propaganda about religion, so people even will lose the ability to distinguish the difference between a cult and a religion.
I think that the point that Satanic Priest was trying to make is that there is no good from claiming to follow the whole Bible if you donít follow the whole thing. If you are going to use it piecemeal for your religion, then simply admit it up front.
If you are claiming to follow the whole Bible, then do it. Donít eat catfish, or shrimp, or pork. Follow Kosher food laws.
If you are going to quote the Bible about things you donít like, like say homosexuality, then you have to also follow the food laws, since both are called,ďabominations.Ē
Donít call the Bible sacred, and then contort it to fit your whims.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yer a idjit.

Meanwhile 6 humans to tend, feed and muck out the stalls of 2 of every kind of animal for months - then a landing on a mountain side that has been washed clean of any food sources - if there had been any to begin with. 6 humans to perpetuate the human race amid the cataclysmic aftermath - and in just a couple of generations they are populous and prosperous enough to construct the Tower of Babel...
Yew get a gowlduh staw fer spellink :-). Ah wonder...I bet the residents of New Orleans "felt" the same way...like their whole world had been flooded, destroyed by a major catastrophic event event. As did the people of Fukishima, Sumutra ( 9.3-magnitude undersea quake off the coast of Sumatra island triggers a tsunami that kills 220,000 people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in Indonesia), people in Haiti, Pompei, Atlantis, etc.
You don't think if there had been livestock of any kind amongst all those types of earth catastrophies, people wouldn't have tried to gather some up to save them....along with some food supplies?
Monsoon season in the mid-east- "The basic climate of the Middle East can be characterized in two words: hot and dry, although winters are mild with some rain. The exception is the mountains, where desert turns to steppe in northern Iraq, northern Iran and eastern Turkey. "

One time, ah saw a this huge plane, flying low in the heavens. It was So huge, and flying So low, it looked as if ah could just reach up and touch it's underbelly. Ah'd've almost sworn ah could've, except I wondered if ah did, if perhaps it wouldn't have fell out of the sky, for having it's aereodynamic equalibrium disturbed, and ah did not want to do that, so I did not try. Mostly because I knew there must've been humans on board, piloting it, and ah certainly did not wish try and poke at something when I knew it was cause harm.

It were louduh too...I were gladuh when it finally lumbered OUT of my ear space, being the rather forboding and menacing looking sight that it was!

And that's the truth!
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of things are nice. It's nice to be civil. Rainbows, strawberry cupcakes, daisy necklaces and butterflies are nice. Helping with homework, playing ball or tea party with your kids is nice. Pitching in to help reroof your neighbor's house is nice.
I find nothing kind, polite and tactful in groups collectively perpetuating lies and fairy tales to the next generations as "truth" without any rationality or logic.
Where do you think people learned to establish nice from not so nice?

Ah think some of it would be from referencing examples of, from stuff like ...books.

What do yew think?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

You are simply wrong wrote:
<quoted text>You not understanding differential calculus does not disprove it. There is nothing logically wrong with it. You just don't get it.
Are you saying that God both knows the future and gives us free will because of *differential calculus*?

Prove it.

But start by proving God.
Ummm

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

I think this is a great idea!!! There is a reason kids are hurting each other and why crazy people are hurting our children! They are in a building that hasn't let god in it's doors for too long. On the back of your/our money it says in god we trust.., why can't we trust him with our kids? The class should be about all forms of religions and it shouldn't be the parents choice at high school age it should be the children's choice!!! Also while we are at it... In grade school lets teach our children that not everyone wins... Yea it is sad that we don't, but it isn't such a hard lesson to learn when you are 5 like it is at 20 in the real world!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Reading the Bible in itís entirety does not make someone an atheist. Itís listening to the preachers who do the piecemeal ala carte religion to you in your youth and then you eventually learning enough about life and science and math and logic to realize that the preacher was a liar.
The key to it all is that God isnít the preacher. God isnít religion. God isnít the Bible.
The Bible was starting to be written probably about 6000 years ago. It was written for those people who had no science, little math and no leisure time to contemplate God and the Universe. Life was so hard that they needed easy to follow simple rules. They didnít have the time, the resources or probably the mental acuity to handle more. They were infants. Their job was merely to survive.
2000 years ago came the second, a new testament to replace the old so as to reflect humanityís better understanding. People had progressed to toddler. The old rules were good for infants, but toddlers have more abilities and can handle greater responsibility. Survival was no longer adequate, now we were expected to care about and respect others.
Our knowledge now has attained the point that we are at the cusp of a Third Testament. Merely playing nice with our siblings isnít enough. Now we have to clean our room, stop polluting the planet. We are children, and soon, once we can demonstrate that, then we can meet the neighborsí kids, those other children of God whom we call extraterrestrials.
We are evolving, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. The rules for the infant, were good for the infant, but God expects us to mature and just as children grow they get more responsibility, so do we. Donít wallow in an infantile religion. Grow, Evolve, Mature. The rules are changing, not because God has, but because we are.
Evolution is not a trajectory of better and better, it is just change over time. You are putting a narrative over it.

I am all for religions changing and encouraging into more tolerant, progressive, educated people. But I think that if you follow *that* trajectory eventually come around to atheism. It is a natural affect of being rational.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it will all make sense once the veil is lifted.
Um, yeeahh... they said that about WMDs and Obamacare, too.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I will try not to be too snarky. I find Creationism to be intellectually empty so it is not going to be easy.
Ok, so you are proposing that this HUGE layer of water vapor existed in Noah's time, right? What is your reason for coming to this conclusion? The evidence is not there. Citing large plants is not nearly enough evidence to justify this water vapor layer. It would be like trying to explain immense dinosaurs by claiming that all plant life on Earth used to contain special magical nutrients that made things get really huge. There's just no reason to introduce such a weird, outlandish idea.
Here is what Talk Origins says about the water vapor idea:
" Now the "vapor canopy" would form a part of the atmosphere, being a body of gas (water vapor) gravitationally held to the earth. It would in fact be most of the pre-flood atmosphere. There would have to be enough vapor to form 9km of liquid, when condensed, and, therefore the vapor would weigh as much as 9km of water. The pressure at the earth's surface, where Noah and family lived, would be equal to one atmosphere PLUS the weight of a 9km column of water of unit area. This is equivalent to the pressure 9km deep in the ocean. What is this pressure? Well, each 10m of water is roughly equivalent to one atmosphere, so the pressure would be 900 atmospheres. The atmosphere would also have a composition of about 900 parts water vapor to one part of what we call air today.
How could an atmosphere almost 100% water vapor not condense? The temperature would have to be raised to the point where the partial pressure of water equals 900 atmospheres, i.e. the boiling point at that pressure. So we find Noah et al. living in a 13,000psi boiler. Is this credible?"
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/canopy.html
In the mountains? Think flood equations, not volcanic erruptions (although.....atmospheric affects from such can be intersting ponderings too!!)

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Our teens don't really understand some of the decisions we make as parents, even if it's in their best interests. Then one day when they become parents, things start making more sense.
Rationalize and justify... It's still hokum.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I think that the point that Satanic Priest was trying to make is that there is no good from claiming to follow the whole Bible if you donít follow the whole thing. If you are going to use it piecemeal for your religion, then simply admit it up front.
If you are claiming to follow the whole Bible, then do it. Donít eat catfish, or shrimp, or pork. Follow Kosher food laws.
If you are going to quote the Bible about things you donít like, like say homosexuality, then you have to also follow the food laws, since both are called,ďabominations.Ē
Donít call the Bible sacred, and then contort it to fit your whims.
I agree. It's weird since on another post you blasted me for a comment about the irrationality of simultaneously believing that God knows the future and free will is true.

But bravo on this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

65 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min DITCH MITCH 146,980
Looking for place to rent! 2 hr guy 2
Corn for Sale 3 hr gator 7
i miss my amy 4 hr Amy 8
GRUBB TRUCKING NEW Post 6 hr Hand Unloads 3
Dentist AJ Smith 6 hr Been there 3
Is James Brown single? (Apr '13) 6 hr Wildcat99 10
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters