Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,106

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98205 Apr 2, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
I am going to coin a new term. "Lie like a christian" for people who lie a lot. Because christians just can not be honest and tell the truth. They must lie. So "lie like a christian" is my new term for liars
and sometimes PEOPLE in general say things with good intention and meaning well, but since people re just HUMAN, we are ALL subject to the imperfections of just being IMPERFECT humans as well, and that includes "christians" AND whatever other group anyone could paint a broad brush stroke on.

It's really hard to fathom labeling any group of anything human, as "all the same". That just doesn't even begin to read on any scale of rational.
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98206 Apr 2, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, you agree the biblical flood was a myth. I will take that as a concession.
Yew don't know what the water levels, in the proverbial area of, of the times were...(nor do yew know how many species of critters there were, or were NOT) at the time either.
Yew weren't there, and neither was ANYONE else around to talk about it these days...so that is at best, still questable and debatable!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98207 Apr 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
Genesis is choked with errors, contradictions and outright fabrications. Only one with the faith of a mustard seed and a brain to match would deny it.

The omniscient and omnipresent God did not know Adam and Eve had eaten the fruit of knowledge until they 1) came out of hiding and 2) were wearing fig leaves - then he got angry. The story goes that he cursed Eve with the pain of childbearing, removed immortality and cast humans out of the Garden. Is that how you would (mis)treat your children for eating the ice cream you purposefully left in front of them?
If that was the plan all along as I have proposed, then yes. The consequences must follow the action.
Again, death means we have the ability to return to live with Him.
conclusion

Morehead, KY

#98208 Apr 2, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, you agree the biblical flood was a myth. I will take that as a concession.
Just as you and I will die,all people will die,but God gave them the chance to be saved not only from death,but from the flood itself. God gave the message through Noah that the world was going to be flooded but the people laughed and mocked him,and did not build an ark like Noah did for they did not believe. They chose to die rather than believe God and be rescued . Just as you chose death and hell rather than believe .I'll take that as a "yes " .

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98209 Apr 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was the plan all along as I have proposed, then yes. The consequences must follow the action.
Again, death means we have the ability to return to live with Him.
I see... so you would tease and bait your children, then beat them for being children and ostracize them until they grow up because that was your plan all along. Cuckoo...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98210 Apr 2, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yew don't know what the water levels, in the proverbial area of, of the times were...(nor do yew know how many species of critters there were, or were NOT) at the time either.
Yew weren't there, and neither was ANYONE else around to talk about it these days...so that is at best, still questable and debatable!!
Yer a idjit.
15 cubits over the mountain tops.. covering all the lands under the entire heavens.
I understand that numbers and facts just aren't the religies' balliwick, but do at least TRY to wrap your atrophied little minds around what your book proposes.
Previously I've been kind enough to use 10,000 feet as a standard just for the Persian area - not of the Rockies, Alps, Andes, Himalayas, etc. but your Book is specific. Water seeks it's own level, so to cover Mt. Everest the global coverage would be nearly 30,000 feet. 2,000 atmospheric pressures at sea level. An accumulation rate of nearly 10 meters an hour for a thousand hours. OVER A BILLION CUBIC MILES of water. Certain death for every surface marine creature and a complete collapse of the oxygenation systems of the atmosphere. No forests or plains, no plankton, no algae. The massive rapid compression and release of the Earth's crust would result in earthquakes and volcanoes the likes of which have not been seen since the bombardment. Lahars and cataracts from every plateau and mountain range, whole glaciers floating free of their beds, ocean currents and atmospheric patterns completely disrupted for centuries. Alluvials and canyons from the runoff would dwarf every natural wonder. All this for Noah to look forward to AFTER the ark landed - and all this a mere 4500 years ago.
Meanwhile 6 humans to tend, feed and muck out the stalls of 2 of every kind of animal for months - then a landing on a mountain side that has been washed clean of any food sources - if there had been any to begin with. 6 humans to perpetuate the human race amid the cataclysmic aftermath - and in just a couple of generations they are populous and prosperous enough to construct the Tower of Babel...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98211 Apr 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I see... so you would tease and bait your children, then beat them for being children and ostracize them until they grow up because that was your plan all along. Cuckoo...
Come on now. Does that sound like anything I have said here? Don't skew my words to try to misrepresent my words.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98212 Apr 2, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
PEOPLE in general, no matter the race, creed or color. have times when they all "lie."
Because sometimes, it is better to be KIND, polite ad tactful, rather than hateful, spiteful and mean.
Condemnation is an ugly, rather dark age trait, especially when applied collectively to a whole group, with out rationality or logic.
Lots of things are nice. It's nice to be civil. Rainbows, strawberry cupcakes, daisy necklaces and butterflies are nice. Helping with homework, playing ball or tea party with your kids is nice. Pitching in to help reroof your neighbor's house is nice.
I find nothing kind, polite and tactful in groups collectively perpetuating lies and fairy tales to the next generations as "truth" without any rationality or logic.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98213 Apr 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on now. Does that sound like anything I have said here? Don't skew my words to try to misrepresent my words.
I'm not saying you are a child abuser. I'm saying that running the same scenario indicates the flaws of thinking God was/is a good parent.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#98214 Apr 2, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Why were all angels in the beginning males or Sons and no women mention as angels Heaven. Why only males mentioned and not women in heaven if they are both equal?
men and women are not equal in gods eyes. look up the value of men and the value of women in the bible and u will find that women are only half as valuable as men. so in other words he just made them to be slaves to man period, made gentiles to be slaves for jews period, and made jews out of love for his own race but also says if they screw up to slave them too but becuz they are the right color they can work it out and be free again where as the rest cant. that is the true love of your god.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98215 Apr 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not saying you are a child abuser. I'm saying that running the same scenario indicates the flaws of thinking God was/is a good parent.
I think it will all make sense once the veil is lifted.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98216 Apr 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not saying you are a child abuser. I'm saying that running the same scenario indicates the flaws of thinking God was/is a good parent.
Our teens don't really understand some of the decisions we make as parents, even if it's in their best interests. Then one day when they become parents, things start making more sense.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#98217 Apr 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure He could. And none of us understand why He does not intervene on a tragedy such as that. All we know is that the punishment for doing so is among the worst imaginable.
it wont be to bad of a punishment if they only repent and ask to be forgiven. they will get to sit right next to the rest of the saved when god is rounded all of u all up i guess. with your god no matter what u do to ppl, u can still go unpunished thru eternity as long as u realize u were wrong and u are sorry no, matter what u caused to happen to someone else.
Hello

Butler, KY

#98218 Apr 3, 2013
In response to post #98210.

I apologize, I haven't been in this conversation, but I'd like to comment on this post and give my understanding of how it happened.

The mountains that were named didn't exist in the pre-flood era.
The water was mostly under the crust of the earth originally and we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things.
The fountains of the great deep broke up and high pressure water from underneath the crust flooded the surface while the water canopy above collapsed and fell to earth as rain.
I think the wording is "all the high hills" and not mountain tops because mountains didn't exist as they do now. The earth was smoother.
After the duration of the flood the unpressurized voids left in the earth began to be filled. The crust that was once above the waters was now collapsing into the voids where the water had been.
As the smoother mass of the earth's crust collapsed in closer to the center there was less space to contain the mass. So the effect, as with anything that you try to cram into a smaller space than it can fit, was for the mountains to push out. In the case of the flood, out of the water. That is why we find aquatic fossils on Everest. It was land that was once underwater, but was pushed up as the earths crust collapsed in closer to the center of the planet.
I heard one time that if the earth's crust was leveled the water would cover it in a depth of about a mile. I'm not sure of the estimated depth, it's been a while since I heard that.

Also, I personnally believe that all radioactive isotopes were probably contained deep in the earth's crust prior to the flood (probably serving some purpose). When the crust was disheveled from the flood and the minerals were re-ordered and stratified the isotopes were mixed in.
Humans today are now constantly exposed to radiation as well as UV which would account for our rapid aging due to the destruction of our cells from the exposure.

There is a verse in the New Testament, one of Peter's books I think, that states that people would scoff at the Bible because they would be ignorant of the fact that the earth was created both in the water and out of the water. In the water, being the water layer of atmosphere. Out of the water, being the water that was once under the crust that now fills the oceans while the crust that was above the water now lies on the ocean's floor.
Thank you.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#98219 Apr 3, 2013
Hello wrote:
In response to post #98210.
I apologize, I haven't been in this conversation, but I'd like to comment on this post and give my understanding of how it happened.
The mountains that were named didn't exist in the pre-flood era.
The water was mostly under the crust of the earth originally and we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things.
The fountains of the great deep broke up and high pressure water from underneath the crust flooded the surface while the water canopy above collapsed and fell to earth as rain.
I think the wording is "all the high hills" and not mountain tops because mountains didn't exist as they do now. The earth was smoother.
After the duration of the flood the unpressurized voids left in the earth began to be filled. The crust that was once above the waters was now collapsing into the voids where the water had been.
As the smoother mass of the earth's crust collapsed in closer to the center there was less space to contain the mass. So the effect, as with anything that you try to cram into a smaller space than it can fit, was for the mountains to push out. In the case of the flood, out of the water. That is why we find aquatic fossils on Everest. It was land that was once underwater, but was pushed up as the earths crust collapsed in closer to the center of the planet.
I heard one time that if the earth's crust was leveled the water would cover it in a depth of about a mile. I'm not sure of the estimated depth, it's been a while since I heard that.
Also, I personnally believe that all radioactive isotopes were probably contained deep in the earth's crust prior to the flood (probably serving some purpose). When the crust was disheveled from the flood and the minerals were re-ordered and stratified the isotopes were mixed in.
Humans today are now constantly exposed to radiation as well as UV which would account for our rapid aging due to the destruction of our cells from the exposure.
There is a verse in the New Testament, one of Peter's books I think, that states that people would scoff at the Bible because they would be ignorant of the fact that the earth was created both in the water and out of the water. In the water, being the water layer of atmosphere. Out of the water, being the water that was once under the crust that now fills the oceans while the crust that was above the water now lies on the ocean's floor.
Thank you.
http://youtu.be/ohC3Cta3qEo

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#98220 Apr 3, 2013
Leaving the Light On wrote:
Proverbs 14
King James Version (KJV)
30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
Envy is what drives motivation, without it, we would have no technology at all.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#98221 Apr 3, 2013

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#98222 Apr 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He is the Alpha and Omega as far as we are concerned.(And this is just me thinking) We are subject to Him. That's all that matters to us right now. The rest is irrelevant. I'm just asking what if?
I believe He did know they would choose to eat of the fruit, but He still left it up to them to choose. I think it's a fine line between omniscience and predestination. I don't understand it fully but I can distinguish between the two.
Like if I give my kids the choice between broccoli and ice cream, I know which ones will choose which food because I have learned what they desire, because I have spent time with them and learned their behaviors. It doesn't mean I'm omniscient, nor that I have predestined what they will choose.
We lived with Him before we came here. He knows us. He watched us learn talents and skills and develop personalities.
In your ice cream example it is still possible for a child to choose broccoli. Highly unlikely, but possible. Your ability to predict which they will choose rests upon your experience with the kids and with your ability to understand probabilities.

God is not human. According to every Christian tradition I've ever encountered God is perfect. He knows *everything*. So it is not a matter of God using probability to deduce what Adam and Eve would do. He simply already knew it.

From any logical perspective that rules out the possibility of free will. You cannot be simultaneously free to choose while the knowledge of your choice is already established somewhere else. It breaks every law of physics.

And once you go down the road of claiming that God can do these magical things you are in the realm of 100% faith and 0% reason. That's fine if you want to believe it, but it is not a rational position nor can it be defended in a reasonable debate.

You are putting your own personal theories into the mind of God. I'm not sure how you can justify that other than you're trying to rationalize an irrational position.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#98223 Apr 3, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe in demon possession today?
I do!
I've cast them out!
They are real...
God is real!
Hello

Butler, KY

#98224 Apr 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Envy is what drives motivation, without it, we would have no technology at all.
Motivation and ambition can be completely free of envy.
One can be motivated by the desire to provide for ones family or from curiosity and a willingness to build or create things that make peoples lives better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min The Apostle 7,000
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min Tom in town 155,257
Chamges to Topix? 12 min Not interested 3
I hate 19 kids and counting (Mar '10) 16 min D_Brews95 44
knox board of ed raising taxes 30 min Mad Tax Payer 108
Lost Dog 32 min Answer 1
campbell vs smith for sheriff 34 min lol 21

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]