Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,617

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
You are simply wrong

Beattyville, KY

#98252 Apr 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, bible study is an important part of education. The left wants to teach propaganda about religion, so people even will lose the ability to distinguish the difference between a cult and a religion.
I think that the point that Satanic Priest was trying to make is that there is no good from claiming to follow the whole Bible if you donít follow the whole thing. If you are going to use it piecemeal for your religion, then simply admit it up front.
If you are claiming to follow the whole Bible, then do it. Donít eat catfish, or shrimp, or pork. Follow Kosher food laws.
If you are going to quote the Bible about things you donít like, like say homosexuality, then you have to also follow the food laws, since both are called,ďabominations.Ē
Donít call the Bible sacred, and then contort it to fit your whims.
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98253 Apr 3, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yer a idjit.

Meanwhile 6 humans to tend, feed and muck out the stalls of 2 of every kind of animal for months - then a landing on a mountain side that has been washed clean of any food sources - if there had been any to begin with. 6 humans to perpetuate the human race amid the cataclysmic aftermath - and in just a couple of generations they are populous and prosperous enough to construct the Tower of Babel...
Yew get a gowlduh staw fer spellink :-). Ah wonder...I bet the residents of New Orleans "felt" the same way...like their whole world had been flooded, destroyed by a major catastrophic event event. As did the people of Fukishima, Sumutra ( 9.3-magnitude undersea quake off the coast of Sumatra island triggers a tsunami that kills 220,000 people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in Indonesia), people in Haiti, Pompei, Atlantis, etc.
You don't think if there had been livestock of any kind amongst all those types of earth catastrophies, people wouldn't have tried to gather some up to save them....along with some food supplies?
Monsoon season in the mid-east- "The basic climate of the Middle East can be characterized in two words: hot and dry, although winters are mild with some rain. The exception is the mountains, where desert turns to steppe in northern Iraq, northern Iran and eastern Turkey. "

One time, ah saw a this huge plane, flying low in the heavens. It was So huge, and flying So low, it looked as if ah could just reach up and touch it's underbelly. Ah'd've almost sworn ah could've, except I wondered if ah did, if perhaps it wouldn't have fell out of the sky, for having it's aereodynamic equalibrium disturbed, and ah did not want to do that, so I did not try. Mostly because I knew there must've been humans on board, piloting it, and ah certainly did not wish try and poke at something when I knew it was cause harm.

It were louduh too...I were gladuh when it finally lumbered OUT of my ear space, being the rather forboding and menacing looking sight that it was!

And that's the truth!
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98254 Apr 3, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of things are nice. It's nice to be civil. Rainbows, strawberry cupcakes, daisy necklaces and butterflies are nice. Helping with homework, playing ball or tea party with your kids is nice. Pitching in to help reroof your neighbor's house is nice.
I find nothing kind, polite and tactful in groups collectively perpetuating lies and fairy tales to the next generations as "truth" without any rationality or logic.
Where do you think people learned to establish nice from not so nice?

Ah think some of it would be from referencing examples of, from stuff like ...books.

What do yew think?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#98255 Apr 3, 2013
You are simply wrong wrote:
<quoted text>You not understanding differential calculus does not disprove it. There is nothing logically wrong with it. You just don't get it.
Are you saying that God both knows the future and gives us free will because of *differential calculus*?

Prove it.

But start by proving God.
Ummm

Georgetown, KY

#98256 Apr 3, 2013
I think this is a great idea!!! There is a reason kids are hurting each other and why crazy people are hurting our children! They are in a building that hasn't let god in it's doors for too long. On the back of your/our money it says in god we trust.., why can't we trust him with our kids? The class should be about all forms of religions and it shouldn't be the parents choice at high school age it should be the children's choice!!! Also while we are at it... In grade school lets teach our children that not everyone wins... Yea it is sad that we don't, but it isn't such a hard lesson to learn when you are 5 like it is at 20 in the real world!!!!

Location hidden

#98257 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Reading the Bible in itís entirety does not make someone an atheist. Itís listening to the preachers who do the piecemeal ala carte religion to you in your youth and then you eventually learning enough about life and science and math and logic to realize that the preacher was a liar.
The key to it all is that God isnít the preacher. God isnít religion. God isnít the Bible.
The Bible was starting to be written probably about 6000 years ago. It was written for those people who had no science, little math and no leisure time to contemplate God and the Universe. Life was so hard that they needed easy to follow simple rules. They didnít have the time, the resources or probably the mental acuity to handle more. They were infants. Their job was merely to survive.
2000 years ago came the second, a new testament to replace the old so as to reflect humanityís better understanding. People had progressed to toddler. The old rules were good for infants, but toddlers have more abilities and can handle greater responsibility. Survival was no longer adequate, now we were expected to care about and respect others.
Our knowledge now has attained the point that we are at the cusp of a Third Testament. Merely playing nice with our siblings isnít enough. Now we have to clean our room, stop polluting the planet. We are children, and soon, once we can demonstrate that, then we can meet the neighborsí kids, those other children of God whom we call extraterrestrials.
We are evolving, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. The rules for the infant, were good for the infant, but God expects us to mature and just as children grow they get more responsibility, so do we. Donít wallow in an infantile religion. Grow, Evolve, Mature. The rules are changing, not because God has, but because we are.
Evolution is not a trajectory of better and better, it is just change over time. You are putting a narrative over it.

I am all for religions changing and encouraging into more tolerant, progressive, educated people. But I think that if you follow *that* trajectory eventually come around to atheism. It is a natural affect of being rational.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98258 Apr 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it will all make sense once the veil is lifted.
Um, yeeahh... they said that about WMDs and Obamacare, too.
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98259 Apr 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I will try not to be too snarky. I find Creationism to be intellectually empty so it is not going to be easy.
Ok, so you are proposing that this HUGE layer of water vapor existed in Noah's time, right? What is your reason for coming to this conclusion? The evidence is not there. Citing large plants is not nearly enough evidence to justify this water vapor layer. It would be like trying to explain immense dinosaurs by claiming that all plant life on Earth used to contain special magical nutrients that made things get really huge. There's just no reason to introduce such a weird, outlandish idea.
Here is what Talk Origins says about the water vapor idea:
" Now the "vapor canopy" would form a part of the atmosphere, being a body of gas (water vapor) gravitationally held to the earth. It would in fact be most of the pre-flood atmosphere. There would have to be enough vapor to form 9km of liquid, when condensed, and, therefore the vapor would weigh as much as 9km of water. The pressure at the earth's surface, where Noah and family lived, would be equal to one atmosphere PLUS the weight of a 9km column of water of unit area. This is equivalent to the pressure 9km deep in the ocean. What is this pressure? Well, each 10m of water is roughly equivalent to one atmosphere, so the pressure would be 900 atmospheres. The atmosphere would also have a composition of about 900 parts water vapor to one part of what we call air today.
How could an atmosphere almost 100% water vapor not condense? The temperature would have to be raised to the point where the partial pressure of water equals 900 atmospheres, i.e. the boiling point at that pressure. So we find Noah et al. living in a 13,000psi boiler. Is this credible?"
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/canopy.html
In the mountains? Think flood equations, not volcanic erruptions (although.....atmospheric affects from such can be intersting ponderings too!!)

“See how you are?”

Earth

#98260 Apr 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Our teens don't really understand some of the decisions we make as parents, even if it's in their best interests. Then one day when they become parents, things start making more sense.
Rationalize and justify... It's still hokum.

Location hidden

#98261 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I think that the point that Satanic Priest was trying to make is that there is no good from claiming to follow the whole Bible if you donít follow the whole thing. If you are going to use it piecemeal for your religion, then simply admit it up front.
If you are claiming to follow the whole Bible, then do it. Donít eat catfish, or shrimp, or pork. Follow Kosher food laws.
If you are going to quote the Bible about things you donít like, like say homosexuality, then you have to also follow the food laws, since both are called,ďabominations.Ē
Donít call the Bible sacred, and then contort it to fit your whims.
I agree. It's weird since on another post you blasted me for a comment about the irrationality of simultaneously believing that God knows the future and free will is true.

But bravo on this one.
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98262 Apr 3, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>So you have never read the whole bible, just a verse here and a verse there, skipping around to make the bible say something that it does not say?
Read the whole bible
I have already.

Just because I translate it in a different way (FAR from "literal") does NOT mean I have not read it.

So actually, in my opinion (and actually in FACT) You could not be more WRONG (yup- plunking in that word just to poke right back at ya)
in your assumptions, because I've read it cover to cover.
I just see no need to obsess and froth and make more of the ugly parts than what they're actually intended to represent.

MY opinion.

You're certainly welcome to your negative fixations though, just don't expect everyone to share them likeminded, because they won't. Ever.
That's just reality.
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

#98263 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Donít even try to use paleontology to say anything at all about human history and donít even try archeology prior to about ten thousand years ago.

Sheebus! Read some science will you!
Where TF did you go to school?
Oh bother- talk about FICKLE in a coulple of sentences!!!!!!!!!!

What do you have against using intellect, logic and rationality?

Shame on you!!!!!

lol

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98264 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>You not understanding differential calculus does not disprove it. There is nothing logically wrong with it. You just don't get it.
Differential calculus? From a logical standpoint, everything is wrong with it.

You sir, are an idiot.

Location hidden

#98265 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Reading the Bible in itís entirety does not make someone an atheist. Itís listening to the preachers who do the piecemeal ala carte religion to you in your youth and then you eventually learning enough about life and science and math and logic to realize that the preacher was a liar.
The key to it all is that God isnít the preacher. God isnít religion. God isnít the Bible.
The Bible was starting to be written probably about 6000 years ago. It was written for those people who had no science, little math and no leisure time to contemplate God and the Universe. Life was so hard that they needed easy to follow simple rules. They didnít have the time, the resources or probably the mental acuity to handle more. They were infants. Their job was merely to survive.
2000 years ago came the second, a new testament to replace the old so as to reflect humanityís better understanding. People had progressed to toddler. The old rules were good for infants, but toddlers have more abilities and can handle greater responsibility. Survival was no longer adequate, now we were expected to care about and respect others.
Our knowledge now has attained the point that we are at the cusp of a Third Testament. Merely playing nice with our siblings isnít enough. Now we have to clean our room, stop polluting the planet. We are children, and soon, once we can demonstrate that, then we can meet the neighborsí kids, those other children of God whom we call extraterrestrials.
We are evolving, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. The rules for the infant, were good for the infant, but God expects us to mature and just as children grow they get more responsibility, so do we. Donít wallow in an infantile religion. Grow, Evolve, Mature. The rules are changing, not because God has, but because we are.
And all this time I was under the impression that you people thought the bible was the word of your god (divinely guided). It's nice to hear someone from your ilk admit it's just a bunch of stories written by ordinary men.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#98266 Apr 3, 2013
Hello wrote:
In response to post #98210.
I apologize, I haven't been in this conversation, but I'd like to comment on this post and give my understanding of how it happened.
The mountains that were named didn't exist in the pre-flood era.
The water was mostly under the crust of the earth originally and we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things.
The fountains of the great deep broke up and high pressure water from underneath the crust flooded the surface while the water canopy above collapsed and fell to earth as rain.
I think the wording is "all the high hills" and not mountain tops because mountains didn't exist as they do now. The earth was smoother.
After the duration of the flood the unpressurized voids left in the earth began to be filled. The crust that was once above the waters was now collapsing into the voids where the water had been.
As the smoother mass of the earth's crust collapsed in closer to the center there was less space to contain the mass. So the effect, as with anything that you try to cram into a smaller space than it can fit, was for the mountains to push out. In the case of the flood, out of the water. That is why we find aquatic fossils on Everest. It was land that was once underwater, but was pushed up as the earths crust collapsed in closer to the center of the planet.
I heard one time that if the earth's crust was leveled the water would cover it in a depth of about a mile. I'm not sure of the estimated depth, it's been a while since I heard that.
Also, I personnally believe that all radioactive isotopes were probably contained deep in the earth's crust prior to the flood (probably serving some purpose). When the crust was disheveled from the flood and the minerals were re-ordered and stratified the isotopes were mixed in.
Humans today are now constantly exposed to radiation as well as UV which would account for our rapid aging due to the destruction of our cells from the exposure.
There is a verse in the New Testament, one of Peter's books I think, that states that people would scoff at the Bible because they would be ignorant of the fact that the earth was created both in the water and out of the water. In the water, being the water layer of atmosphere. Out of the water, being the water that was once under the crust that now fills the oceans while the crust that was above the water now lies on the ocean's floor.
Thank you.
Astonishing.
See, now there's that point again. Is it "nice" to do this to peoples' minds?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#98267 Apr 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have got to be joking, no one can this in this much denial of reality.
Why do you have an iPhone? Because Apple wanted to make something better than Microsoft.
Why do you have Windows? Because Microsoft wanted to make a better operating system for computer illiterates so even you uneducated morons could use them.
Why do you have food on your table? Because someone wanted a profit so they could buy other things.
It's all envy, all of it, every innovation.
http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfi...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#98268 Apr 3, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings!
Just want you to open your eyes to the truth!
If sperm hits an egg, and goes un-interrupted... it
becomes a Baby!
Killing one before it comes out... it's still a baby...
A Dead Baby!
What do you believe?
I believe there are people who value zygotes more than they do children.
I believe there are people who value political and religious control more than they do women's lives.
I believe I will never get pregnant.

Location hidden

#98269 Apr 3, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings!
Just want you to open your eyes to the truth!
If sperm hits an egg, and goes un-interrupted... it
becomes a Baby!
Killing one before it comes out... it's still a baby...
A Dead Baby!
What do you believe?
You believe that that life begins at conception, right?
You also (I'm assuming) believe that these new life-forms have a "soul", right?
Since these unborn "babies" haven't had a chance to "sin" yet, wouldn't they go straight to "Heaven" if they are terminated?

Seems to me that you people would actually be for abortions.
that guy

Mount Ida, AR

#98270 Apr 3, 2013
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike

You keep believing, I'll keep evolving

“See how you are?”

Earth

#98271 Apr 3, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you think people learned to establish nice from not so nice?
Ah think some of it would be from referencing examples of, from stuff like ...books.
What do yew think?
I already told you what I think in post #97988. I would guess that since my writing doesn't have a chapter and verse in front of them, it might be a little difficult for religies to actually read and retain them. Perhaps this will help.

Chrom. 4:1 "I think that the Deuteronomic and Mosaic Laws - along with their predecessors and counterparts in other cultures - were indispensable in promoting civilization among the tribes of the "wilderness". I do not contend that any of them are the works and words of Gods. I think that a longing to fill an emotional hole is what drives religion and "dark age" ignorance. There is nothing wrong with perpetuating a code of ethics and moral laws as long as they are not adhered to simply for the sake of dogma, authoritarianism and tradition. That (and NOT the eternal life fairy tale) might well be the most important lesson of Jesus."

It is clear that there is a mutual benefit and self preservation in being "nice," and it is also clear that the attribute is not confined to the human species.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fire station or not 2 hr Citizen 3
HAppy Thanksgiving Everyone! 6 hr gator 2
how can a murderer walk the streets!!!! 13 hr john 16
Phillip Vaughn (Oct '10) 18 hr Loving 9
Separate 18 hr Loving 3
OMG!!! Ben Mason in jail (May '13) 20 hr curious 6
moma screwer 22 hr gator 9
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Nov 24 beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:37 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:37PM
Zach Mettenberger sends himself to selfie rehab