Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156596 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

im still looking

Methuen, MA

#98188 Apr 2, 2013
Ooo
TruthIs

London, KY

#98189 Apr 2, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Killing babies is a sin? Than why does your god command for you to kill babies and be joyful as you kill babies?
Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children.(Isaiah 13:15-18
Psalms 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones
Is it a sin to kill babies when your god tells you to?
Thou shalt NOT harm anyone else.
----------

"These excesses were common in all barbarous nations, and are only prophetically declared here."

From Homers description, in words almost similar to those of the psalmist."

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#98190 Apr 2, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Thou shalt NOT harm anyone else.
----------
"."
The bible does not say that. In fact just the opposite. The bible says to kill every one else; men, women, and children

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#98191 Apr 2, 2013
Old wrote:
<quoted text>
No because God made Time, therefore God and Heaven exist outside of time. God knows what you will do simply because from his perspective it has already happened. You still make your decisions. You still take responsibility for your actions. God didn't force you to do anything. No predetermination and yes on free will.
This is what many theologians call the "mystery" of Christ. By mystery they mean contradiction.

You are suggesting that something can know everything that is going to happen but people within that construct still have free will. This is not logically possible. It is like saying 2+2=3.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#98192 Apr 2, 2013
While god is not real, lets say that he is. Than what you worship is hate, violence, blood lust, rape, slavery, selling women as property, killing children, sacrificing animals, basically pure evil. That is what you worship. Those are the actions and commands of your god.
Sugar coat it, say "but god changed, he is not like that now blah blah blah" but actions speak the truth while your words lie so it still remains that you worship evil and hate

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#98193 Apr 2, 2013
I am going to coin a new term. "Lie like a christian" for people who lie a lot. Because christians just can not be honest and tell the truth. They must lie. So "lie like a christian" is my new term for liars

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98194 Apr 2, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You have had prayers answered? Your god can not answer the prayers of a child that prays that her father stops beating her because of free will but he answers your prayers? Bullshit. You make excuses when praying does nothing than claim praying does something. Do you ever listen to the pre programed responses you give?
How is it that god helps one football team beat another when they both pray to win (and ignores the child being raped by her baptist preacher)? How is it that you can pray for financial rewards but a starving person can not pray for food?
And yes, mormons do worship wealth
How do I worship wealth?

Yes I have had prayers answered. No, not all prayers are answered.
No I can't explain why some are not answered.
I have seen both happen to others as well. We do not know the will of God. We do not know why children suffer or die. I don't pretend to have the answers for those questions. I can only tell you what I think. No, it isn't pre-programmed. I am a recent convert to the church. I have studied a lot over the years and learned different things from different churches and religions along the way. I aligned myself with the LDS church because it was closest to what I had concluded on my own and it taught me more than I knew (filled in some major gaps that others could only respond that we weren't supposed to know yet).
One thing that makes tragedies more bearable is knowing that we are eternal. Once you think on eternal timelines, you can see that we are being prepared for something more.
conclusion

Flemingsburg, KY

#98195 Apr 2, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
God step down and put Satan in charge of this world, review the new testament again to refresh your memory.
Body count: God kills billions
Body count: Satan kills ten
God let Satan do some killing (only ten with permission by God) review your bible and you will see.
In a reward for obeying God and killing 10 people,(Satan is really a lap dog for Yahweh), Satan is promoted to the God of the earthly ones.
Now the whole world is in the power of the wicked one.(God did it)
That's about it.
God never killed anyone, people kill,sickness kills.Read the bible.
God came to give life , satan came to kill and destroy. But if you do not know God ,you will not read with understanding because your very mind is filled with hate and evil. So best advice believe whatever you want,you have that right. Just as i have the right to believe in Jesus and I do!:)

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98196 Apr 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what many theologians call the "mystery" of Christ. By mystery they mean contradiction.
You are suggesting that something can know everything that is going to happen but people within that construct still have free will. This is not logically possible. It is like saying 2+2=3.
Do you mean that 2+2 can = 3 if it exercises its God Given free will or do you mean that 2+2 thinks it can = 3 if it has faith? Having read religies' posts, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98197 Apr 2, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>You say this as if your god didn't know what they would choose. This would imply your god is not omniscient. If, on the other hand, he knew what they would choose and created them and the environment that would lead to their inevitable decision then free will is an illusion.

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
I don't know if God is omnipotent. I think He has to abide by some eternal laws or He loses His status as God. So to us He is, but what if God is subject to His Father? Something to think about"

So you don't believe your god is the "Alpha and the Omega"? If you concede that your god must have come from something, then it is reasonable to infer that his creator must have also had a creator...and you should logically repeat this ad infinitum.
He is the Alpha and Omega as far as we are concerned.(And this is just me thinking) We are subject to Him. That's all that matters to us right now. The rest is irrelevant. I'm just asking what if?

I believe He did know they would choose to eat of the fruit, but He still left it up to them to choose. I think it's a fine line between omniscience and predestination. I don't understand it fully but I can distinguish between the two.
Like if I give my kids the choice between broccoli and ice cream, I know which ones will choose which food because I have learned what they desire, because I have spent time with them and learned their behaviors. It doesn't mean I'm omniscient, nor that I have predestined what they will choose.

We lived with Him before we came here. He knows us. He watched us learn talents and skills and develop personalities.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98198 Apr 2, 2013
Education wrote:
I apologize upfront for upsetting some of you for what I am about to say, but I can't help but to speak the truth. If you want to teach religion in schools, fine, but do it as history or literature. However, Evolution and scientific reasoing has and needs to be taught like the Big Bang. Science is important and children need to know and understand how the world works. I teach it at home, but also include religious stories. If you refuse to teach these children science, then these children will be ignorant. I always said religion is a lot like drugs:
Distorts Reality and gives you false hope.
The Big Bang is a theory. Most everyone is fine with that being taught as a theory.
Most religious folk are not opposed to science being taught. Science doesn't replace God. They aren't in competition.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#98199 Apr 2, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>The bible does not say that. In fact just the opposite. The bible says to kill every one else; men, women, and children
I disagree with YOUR interpretation.

My translation of Bible for modern day world living (versus the wickedness of ways as found within the OT) says we are to LOVE and respect, and be kind one to another. NOT hate, maim, torture, taunt, bully, push, shove, connive, manipulate and whatever other negative dredges of negative negatives.

I feel sorry for you, if you think life should be lived so negatively, because it shouldn't.
TruthIs

London, KY

#98200 Apr 2, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
While god is not real, lets say that he is. Than what you worship is hate, violence, blood lust, rape, slavery, selling women as property, killing children, sacrificing animals, basically pure evil. That is what you worship. Those are the actions and commands of your god.
Sugar coat it, say "but god changed, he is not like that now blah blah blah" but actions speak the truth while your words lie so it still remains that you worship evil and hate
What if "God" is all of humanity encompassed? Is that how you think humanity should exist, rather than GOODNESS, kindness, respect and enlightenment (best if done by being personal examples of when ever possible) for the betterment of?
Would you not rather be a bearer of light, than of darkness?
TruthIs

London, KY

#98201 Apr 2, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
I am going to coin a new term. "Lie like a christian" for people who lie a lot. Because christians just can not be honest and tell the truth. They must lie. So "lie like a christian" is my new term for liars
PEOPLE in general, no matter the race, creed or color. have times when they all "lie."

Because sometimes, it is better to be KIND, polite ad tactful, rather than hateful, spiteful and mean.

Condemnation is an ugly, rather dark age trait, especially when applied collectively to a whole group, with out rationality or logic.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98202 Apr 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He is the Alpha and Omega as far as we are concerned.(And this is just me thinking) We are subject to Him. That's all that matters to us right now. The rest is irrelevant. I'm just asking what if?
I believe He did know they would choose to eat of the fruit, but He still left it up to them to choose. I think it's a fine line between omniscience and predestination. I don't understand it fully but I can distinguish between the two.
Like if I give my kids the choice between broccoli and ice cream, I know which ones will choose which food because I have learned what they desire, because I have spent time with them and learned their behaviors. It doesn't mean I'm omniscient, nor that I have predestined what they will choose.
We lived with Him before we came here. He knows us. He watched us learn talents and skills and develop personalities.
Genesis is choked with errors, contradictions and outright fabrications. Only one with the faith of a mustard seed and a brain to match would deny it.

The omniscient and omnipresent God did not know Adam and Eve had eaten the fruit of knowledge until they 1) came out of hiding and 2) were wearing fig leaves - then he got angry. The story goes that he cursed Eve with the pain of childbearing, removed immortality and cast humans out of the Garden. Is that how you would (mis)treat your children for eating the ice cream you purposefully left in front of them?
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#98203 Apr 2, 2013
conclusion wrote:
<quoted text>
God never killed anyone, people kill,sickness kills.Read the bible.
God came to give life , satan came to kill and destroy. But if you do not know God ,you will not read with understanding because your very mind is filled with hate and evil. So best advice believe whatever you want,you have that right. Just as i have the right to believe in Jesus and I do!:)
So then, you agree the biblical flood was a myth. I will take that as a concession.
openyoureyes

Jamestown, KY

#98204 Apr 2, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in a public school. In a public school it would be unconstitutional...and that's just bad.
Quote “In a public school it would be unconstitutional” Where in the U.S. Constitution do you find that Lie, or are you referring to Russia, North Korea, China, Iran, Cuba, Iraq, Syria.
TruthIs

London, KY

#98205 Apr 2, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
I am going to coin a new term. "Lie like a christian" for people who lie a lot. Because christians just can not be honest and tell the truth. They must lie. So "lie like a christian" is my new term for liars
and sometimes PEOPLE in general say things with good intention and meaning well, but since people re just HUMAN, we are ALL subject to the imperfections of just being IMPERFECT humans as well, and that includes "christians" AND whatever other group anyone could paint a broad brush stroke on.

It's really hard to fathom labeling any group of anything human, as "all the same". That just doesn't even begin to read on any scale of rational.
TruthIs

London, KY

#98206 Apr 2, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, you agree the biblical flood was a myth. I will take that as a concession.
Yew don't know what the water levels, in the proverbial area of, of the times were...(nor do yew know how many species of critters there were, or were NOT) at the time either.
Yew weren't there, and neither was ANYONE else around to talk about it these days...so that is at best, still questable and debatable!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98207 Apr 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
Genesis is choked with errors, contradictions and outright fabrications. Only one with the faith of a mustard seed and a brain to match would deny it.

The omniscient and omnipresent God did not know Adam and Eve had eaten the fruit of knowledge until they 1) came out of hiding and 2) were wearing fig leaves - then he got angry. The story goes that he cursed Eve with the pain of childbearing, removed immortality and cast humans out of the Garden. Is that how you would (mis)treat your children for eating the ice cream you purposefully left in front of them?
If that was the plan all along as I have proposed, then yes. The consequences must follow the action.
Again, death means we have the ability to return to live with Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
carlot 2 hr Willis 3
Grace way metals 10 hr Smh 2
C&J auto sales (Jul '09) 12 hr leary 15
Listen up people 14 hr crazy talk 3
How is Godfathers Pizza at Shell ? 15 hr Titty Sprinkles 11
Just curious Old Datsun 280Z 16 hr Santa 6
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 16 hr Excited 174

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages