Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,677)

Showing posts 93,521 - 93,540 of122,857
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many who advocate validating and protecting what you might deem "harmless" disorders. Including ignorance and in some cases, ESPECIALLY ignorance.
Obviously.

Just look at all the hateful posts on this thread directed at others, who simply see things differently.

There IS a difference between disagreeing and having differences in opinion from others, and merely attacking others with out having justifiable, rational or ethical cause.
One is logical, the other is just Wrong.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion. Sorry you feel it's a "disorder".
Consider the word "fun". It's a word that's hard to explain to someone that has never experienced it. It doesn't mean that the one observing someone having fun is correct by saying they must have a mental disorder.
Charles Manson's idea of "fun" is probably alien to you and me both.
My wife has no idea why I find Topix entertaining, and I don't share her appreciation and enthusiasm for scrapbooking.
It isn't unlikely that an outside observer might evaluate that both of us displays a little OCD. That's fair - the psyche is a spaghetti bowl of subtle quirks and eccentricities only discerned from "disorders" by amounts and direction.
But then there is religion - a construct that in many cases actually encourages breaks from reality. A case in point.
Would you feel some form of positive emotion in observing a bris? I wouldn't. To some degree, one might argue that those experiencing pride, fulfillment or happiness at a mutilation ceremony might be irrational at best and deranged at worst. Oh, but what is a foreskin, anyway - right? Some doctors even dismiss it as a hygienic preemptive strike - one of God's little mistakes?. Then what about female circumcisions as performed in some Muslim cultures?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously.
Just look at all the hateful posts on this thread directed at others, who simply see things differently.
There IS a difference between disagreeing and having differences in opinion from others, and merely attacking others with out having justifiable, rational or ethical cause.
One is logical, the other is just Wrong.
Simply not comprehending others' opinions do not make them unjustified. Denying ignorance of a subject does not make one learned. Basing decisions exclusively on emotional investments and religious vestments does not indicate one is either rational or ethical.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Charles Manson's idea of "fun" is probably alien to you and me both.
My wife has no idea why I find Topix entertaining, and I don't share her appreciation and enthusiasm for scrapbooking.
It isn't unlikely that an outside observer might evaluate that both of us displays a little OCD. That's fair - the psyche is a spaghetti bowl of subtle quirks and eccentricities only discerned from "disorders" by amounts and direction.
But then there is religion - a construct that in many cases actually encourages breaks from reality. A case in point.
Would you feel some form of positive emotion in observing a bris? I wouldn't. To some degree, one might argue that those experiencing pride, fulfillment or happiness at a mutilation ceremony might be irrational at best and deranged at worst. Oh, but what is a foreskin, anyway - right? Some doctors even dismiss it as a hygienic preemptive strike - one of God's little mistakes?. Then what about female circumcisions as performed in some Muslim cultures?
I'm not talking about ordinances or cultures, or even traditions. I mean communication with God

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Simply not comprehending others' opinions do not make them unjustified. Denying ignorance of a subject does not make one learned. Basing decisions exclusively on emotional investments and religious vestments does not indicate one is either rational or ethical.
Haha. The exact same could be said of the religious opinions shared on here that you completely dismiss as impossible. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it's unjustified.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
WOuld if someone picked a peck of them, put them in a bowl with water, and placed them in a church, where others could enjoy the fragrance as well.
Just saying :-).
And kill the flower? No, I would rather let nature take its course than kill for people who would not appreciate the beauty

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

The EaterBunny wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not ever try to sort books in a public library. Based upon your nothing-of your own interpretation, you'd FAIL miserably trying to do so, as it's obviously OUT of your realm of comprehension and tolerance.
I have volunteered at the local library. I can Dewey just fine.
You might have noticed I said *MY* bookshelves if you got your head out of your a$$ once in a while.

You are so amusing. You love to critisize people that you percieve to be critisizing others.
If critisizing offends you, why are you doing it?
Why aren't you being understanding and tolerant like you keep yammering about?

You are just another troll begging for attention.

Yep, I just critisized YOU.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
The Dallas Morning News reported that many were angry about how little was done.
Gilyard's next stop was Victory Baptist Church in Richardson, Texas, where “at least 4 women” made accusations against him. As reported in the Dallas Morning News, one woman said she was “raped.”
Gilyard was allowed to resign from Victory Baptist after confessing to “several adulterous relationships.” That was the description Paige Patterson gave to Gilyard’s conduct, as quoted in the Dallas Morning News. It was "the fourth time in four years" that Gilyard had been "forced to walk away from a congregation."
The morning after Gilyard’s resignation, Paige Patterson also described Gilyard as one of the “most brilliant men in the pulpit.”
Just two weeks later, Darrell Gilyard was preaching in the pulpit of another church.
In 1993, Darrell Gilyard became pastor of Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida. Gilyard was encouraged by former Southern Baptist president Jerry Vines, who “agreed to forgive” Gilyard for his “out-of-state troubles.” Reportedly, Vines also gave credence to Gilyard by speaking from the pulpit of Gilyard’s church.
Now, finally, Gilyard faces trial in Florida on criminal charges of child molestation and lewd conduct.
Consider how many have likely been hurt. Based on published news accounts, 42 women made accusations against Gilyard. Some of them were mere college students.Now 2 underage teen girls have reported Gilyard. That’s a total of 44.
And that’s just the ones we know about. How many more were so traumatized that they stayed silent?
Yet, even in the face of so many published accusations,“Gilyard is said to be preaching and teaching at another church in Jacksonville.”
So where are the voices of Paige Patterson and Jerry Vines now? These two former Southern Baptist presidents were plenty willing to use their powerful voices to promoteGilyard. Why aren’t they now willing to use their powerful voices to get Gilyard out of the pulpit?
Why aren’t there other Southern Baptist leaders who are speaking up?
Why isn’t anyone in Southern Baptist leadership willing to take a stand and say how wrong it is to allow Gilyard in the pulpit?
Why isn’t anyone in Southern Baptist leadership willing to take a stand on behalf of the 44 known wounded women and girls? Aren’t 44 enough?
How many does it take?
Come on, SP. You know the answer to that one.
"Christians aren't perfect. They are forgiven."

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Here is the bottom line, christians do not want to let others be free in their religion. They condemn other religions and try to deny others the same rights they have.
Then when people fight back they cry about how we are treating them even though it is the same way they treat others.
So you believe you have to tell others about jesus? Well when they tell you they are not interested or do not believe DROP IT and RESPECT their right to not belong to your cult.
So many christians are crying that their cult is being attacked when people are just fighting fire with fire, how about how you freaks attack every one else? HUH?
Stop crying about being treated as you have treated others. What is the golden rule? HUH? WHAT IS THE GOLDEN RULE!

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, SP. You know the answer to that one.
"Christians aren't perfect. They are forgiven."
Wait, isn't that what gay people are? Not perfect, they are forgiven? I thought that gay people are not under the old law, they are under "grace".
Oh, that is only for the special christians right? They have special fu ck ing rules for themselves.
Pisses me off, makes me want to start a big bon fire and toss a few of them in it (or feed them to the lions)
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Wait, isn't that what gay people are? Not perfect, they are forgiven? I thought that gay people are not under the old law, they are under "grace".
Oh, that is only for the special christians right? They have special fu ck ing rules for themselves.
Pisses me off, makes me want to start a big bon fire and toss a few of them in it (or feed them to the lions)
Religion seems to morph to appease the followers, JW's were told that they would be not marrying or having sex after Armageddon, now to please the followers watchtower said new light from God and now they can hump for the next thousand years after Armageddon.

It is a paradox in religion they teach you will be like angels with no gender then change as time goes by when expectations of the end of time has not come as once believed. I think you can find in historical data that it has been so with most religious beliefs.
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
Many people have pointed out that I am a religious nut, some even call my religion a cult.
True, but my religion does not pry in to others personal life, does not violate others rights,(unless you are violating my rights) we do not harm anything for any reason other than survival and we are kind and good.
The christian cult is the opposite of us, they are evil, judging others, condemning others, prying where they have no business, killing and raping evil
The people you speak of are def not followers of Jesus
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
The Dallas Morning News reported that many were angry about how little was done.

Gilyard's next stop was Victory Baptist Church in Richardson, Texas, where “at least 4 women” made accusations against him. As reported in the Dallas Morning News, one woman said she was “raped.”

Gilyard was allowed to resign from Victory Baptist after confessing to “several adulterous relationships.” That was the description Paige Patterson gave to Gilyard’s conduct, as quoted in the Dallas Morning News. It was "the fourth time in four years" that Gilyard had been "forced to walk away from a congregation."

The morning after Gilyard’s resignation, Paige Patterson also described Gilyard as one of the “most brilliant men in the pulpit.”

Just two weeks later, Darrell Gilyard was preaching in the pulpit of another church.

In 1993, Darrell Gilyard became pastor of Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida. Gilyard was encouraged by former Southern Baptist president Jerry Vines, who “agreed to forgive” Gilyard for his “out-of-state troubles.” Reportedly, Vines also gave credence to Gilyard by speaking from the pulpit of Gilyard’s church.

Now, finally, Gilyard faces trial in Florida on criminal charges of child molestation and lewd conduct.

Consider how many have likely been hurt. Based on published news accounts, 42 women made accusations against Gilyard. Some of them were mere college students.Now 2 underage teen girls have reported Gilyard. ThatÂ’s a total of 44.

And thatÂ’s just the ones we know about. How many more were so traumatized that they stayed silent?

Yet, even in the face of so many published accusations,“Gilyard is said to be preaching and teaching at another church in Jacksonville.”

So where are the voices of Paige Patterson and Jerry Vines now? These two former Southern Baptist presidents were plenty willing to use their powerful voices to promoteGilyard. Why arenÂ’t they now willing to use their powerful voices to get Gilyard out of the pulpit?

Why arenÂ’t there other Southern Baptist leaders who are speaking up?

Why isnÂ’t anyone in Southern Baptist leadership willing to take a stand and say how wrong it is to allow Gilyard in the pulpit?

Why isnÂ’t anyone in Southern Baptist leadership willing to take a stand on behalf of the 44 known wounded women and girls? ArenÂ’t 44 enough?

How many does it take?
Wrong for sure. Sick. Using God as a cover . Satan knows Gods words.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

"The people you speak of are def not followers of Jesus,"
says happy.
----------

Remember that line, SP. You can use it the next time Yaa starts ranting about how "Satanists" kill animals and hurt children.
You can just tell Yaa, "The people you speak of are def not followers of Satan."

**And that makes it a fact!"
Amazingly simple, isn't it?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. Sometimes He does. Sometimes He does not. We all have different challenges. Sometimes we or a loved one go through things so we learn something, or to prepare us for something in the future. As I said, God doesn't get involved in every human act. We all wish bad things didn't happen, such as accidents, but rapes and murders are not God's fault. The only fault here are the monsters that orchestrate the act.
This sounds to me like a world in which no God exists. How is this picture of reality different from the reality of an atheist?

Also, why does God get the glory for creating everything but he gets off the hook for bad things that happen?

Let's move away from the realm of free will. Let's not use rape as an example. Instead, let's use a tsunami.

In the 2004 Thailand tsunami over 227,000 people were killed. That number certainly included all kinds of people from infancy to old age. Here's a snippet from the Wiki article on the subject:

“Relief agencies report that one-third of the dead appear to be children. This is a result of the high proportion of children in the populations of many of the affected regions and because children were the least able to resist being overcome by the surging waters.”

If you think about the horror of tens of thousands of children being washed away it is impossible to then imagine a loving, omnipotent god. I mean, sure, you can imagine some kind of deity watching his handiwork unfold, but not the kind of deity any decent human being should be paying homage to.

Anyway, this is an impossible question to answer. I realize. I'm just pointing out the absurdidty of belief in a loving Christian deity in a world where we have murder, rape, and natural disasters on a daily basis. Instead, this is the exactly the kind of world you should expect to see if there was no god in it.

And that is why I don't have a belief in any gods.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds to me like a world in which no God exists. How is this picture of reality different from the reality of an atheist?
Also, why does God get the glory for creating everything but he gets off the hook for bad things that happen?
Let's move away from the realm of free will. Let's not use rape as an example. Instead, let's use a tsunami.
In the 2004 Thailand tsunami over 227,000 people were killed. That number certainly included all kinds of people from infancy to old age. Here's a snippet from the Wiki article on the subject:
“Relief agencies report that one-third of the dead appear to be children. This is a result of the high proportion of children in the populations of many of the affected regions and because children were the least able to resist being overcome by the surging waters.”
If you think about the horror of tens of thousands of children being washed away it is impossible to then imagine a loving, omnipotent god. I mean, sure, you can imagine some kind of deity watching his handiwork unfold, but not the kind of deity any decent human being should be paying homage to.
Anyway, this is an impossible question to answer. I realize. I'm just pointing out the absurdidty of belief in a loving Christian deity in a world where we have murder, rape, and natural disasters on a daily basis. Instead, this is the exactly the kind of world you should expect to see if there was no god in it.
This is my questions about their beliefs. How can you claim that there is an all powerful god that you can pray to for a better job and more wealth but he just sits by and lets the innocent suffer? BULL
Really

Big Clifty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Leaving the Light On wrote:
Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
May God hold you in the palm HIS HAND.
HAPPY EASTER!
Same to you..
Happy Easter....
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
"The people you speak of are def not followers of Jesus,"
says happy.
----------

Remember that line, SP. You can use it the next time Yaa starts ranting about how "Satanists" kill animals and hurt children.
You can just tell Yaa, "The people you speak of are def not followers of Satan."

**And that makes it a fact!"
Amazingly simple, isn't it?
It is "amazingly simple" even a child understands. God bless you! HAPPY EASTER! PRAISE GOD! The grave couldn't hold Him!
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>This sounds to me like a world in which no God exists. How is this picture of reality different from the reality of an atheist?

Repeat repeat repeat. STUDY GODS WORD... Ask for God to reveal the TRUTH to You.. Are you afraid of the truth? He is alive honey. He is real. Don't b afraid. ASK. Then you will have YOUR proof. Simple. The God we speak of is very much ALIVE!
ASK SEEK
God bless
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>This is my questions about their beliefs. How can you claim that there is an all powerful god that you can pray to for a better job and more wealth but he just sits by and lets the innocent suffer? BULL
Repeat repeat repeat
God is awesome All the time.
Praise God. HAPPY EASTER..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 93,521 - 93,540 of122,857
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

59 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Thompson Park Boat Ramp 7 min City 3
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 25 min Tollesboro Guy 81,212
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 42 min RayOne 138,747
Troy Marcey 48 min Tracy 1
New Family Court Judge NEEDED!!! 50 min Curious Georgia 39
new restaurant in downtown shopping center 3 hr Curious Georgia 31
Corey vs. Collins 3 hr jim 58
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••