Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,390

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#97828 Mar 30, 2013
GWB wrote:
Cancer Drug Kills Every Kind of Tumor: Study
Stanford University scientists have discovered a single drug that has killed or shrunk every kind of cancer tumor it has been used against — a new anti-cancer weapon that some have described as a kind of medical Holy Grail.
http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/newswidget/Cance...
Man I hope that pans out to something useful!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#97829 Mar 30, 2013
Proverbs 14

King James Version (KJV)

30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#97830 Mar 30, 2013
In Florida, hundreds of pages of documents detail the sexually explicit text messages allegedly sent by pastor Darrell Gilyard to 14 and 15 year-old girls. A news account provides details of the molestation allegations against Gilyard.

So this is the Florida news, but look at the history of this pastor. Why didn't Baptist leaders stop him sooner?

As reported in the Dallas Morning News, Gilyard left Concord Missionary Baptist Church in Dallas in 1987 after about 25 women complained of his “sexual misconduct.” The senior pastor, Rev. E.K. Bailey,“assumed that would be the end of Darrell Gilyard’s bright evangelistic career.” How tragically wrong he was.

At that time, the First Baptist Church of Dallas and Criswell College president Paige Patterson were promoting Gilyard in Southern Baptist churches. He was considered a rising star. Despite the many allegations against Gilyard, First Baptist officials “decided there was not enough evidence” to further investigate Gilyard, and, according to Rev. Bailey, Paige Patterson wrote him “an unkind letter” saying that “he would have come out to my church and solved the problem for me if I had told him first.”

Apparently, 25 accusations weren’t enough for Paige Patterson. In fact, according to the Dallas Morning News, Patterson painted “Gilyard as a victim” and suggested the accusers were motivated by “jealousy, frustration and racism.”

Patterson wanted “demonstrable evidence” such as “photographs, videotapes or laboratory tests.” Despite 25 women’s accusations, Patterson and First Baptist “continued to recommend” Gilyard.

Hilltop Baptist Church in Norman, Oklahoma, was Gilyard’s next stop. Senior pastor Dan Maxwell said he “had heard rumors” about Gilyard, but “Paige Patterson said he had been out there and talked to the women and there had been nothing to substantiate the allegations.”

At Hilltop, 3 more women reported Gilyard’s sexual advances and sexual misconduct. Reverend Maxwell took the information to Paige Patterson, who said “he did not believe” the stories.

In 1989, Gilyard became an assistant pastor at Shiloh Baptist in Garland, and “allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced again.” Some women met with Paige Patterson in person to discuss their allegations. Counselor Don Simpkins, who was at those meetings, told the Dallas Morning News that, rather than focusing on the allegations against Gilyard, those meetings delved into the women’s own pasts, looking to see whether they were divorced or had psychological problems. More recently, Simpkins gave a stark video interview in which he said that 6 to 8 women met with Patterson at that time and reported everything from rapes to sexual assaults.

During that same time period, another woman reported that she requested a meeting with Paige Patterson to talk about Gilyard, but that her phone calls were not returned.

Still another woman said that Gilyard “pulled me down onto the floor right there in the church” and that, when she tried to report it, Paige Patterson “would not take her calls.” She wrote Patterson a detailed, 10-page letter, but Patterson still “wouldn’t agree to meet” with her.

Multiple Criswell College students said they reported Gilyard to Patterson, but according to news accounts, Patterson said “to refrain from speaking about it."

“There is no god”

War, WV

#97831 Mar 30, 2013
The Dallas Morning News reported that many were angry about how little was done.

Gilyard's next stop was Victory Baptist Church in Richardson, Texas, where “at least 4 women” made accusations against him. As reported in the Dallas Morning News, one woman said she was “raped.”

Gilyard was allowed to resign from Victory Baptist after confessing to “several adulterous relationships.” That was the description Paige Patterson gave to Gilyard’s conduct, as quoted in the Dallas Morning News. It was "the fourth time in four years" that Gilyard had been "forced to walk away from a congregation."

The morning after Gilyard’s resignation, Paige Patterson also described Gilyard as one of the “most brilliant men in the pulpit.”

Just two weeks later, Darrell Gilyard was preaching in the pulpit of another church.

In 1993, Darrell Gilyard became pastor of Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida. Gilyard was encouraged by former Southern Baptist president Jerry Vines, who “agreed to forgive” Gilyard for his “out-of-state troubles.” Reportedly, Vines also gave credence to Gilyard by speaking from the pulpit of Gilyard’s church.

Now, finally, Gilyard faces trial in Florida on criminal charges of child molestation and lewd conduct.

Consider how many have likely been hurt. Based on published news accounts, 42 women made accusations against Gilyard. Some of them were mere college students.Now 2 underage teen girls have reported Gilyard. That’s a total of 44.

And that’s just the ones we know about. How many more were so traumatized that they stayed silent?

Yet, even in the face of so many published accusations,“Gilyard is said to be preaching and teaching at another church in Jacksonville.”

So where are the voices of Paige Patterson and Jerry Vines now? These two former Southern Baptist presidents were plenty willing to use their powerful voices to promoteGilyard. Why aren’t they now willing to use their powerful voices to get Gilyard out of the pulpit?

Why aren’t there other Southern Baptist leaders who are speaking up?

Why isn’t anyone in Southern Baptist leadership willing to take a stand and say how wrong it is to allow Gilyard in the pulpit?

Why isn’t anyone in Southern Baptist leadership willing to take a stand on behalf of the 44 known wounded women and girls? Aren’t 44 enough?

How many does it take?
The EaterBunny

London, KY

#97832 Mar 30, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure I would use the term "christian version" to describe Wicca, but I know what you are getting at.
I was a practicing Wiccan witch for a while but eventually realized that the foolishness I saw in Christianity was exactly the same as in Wicca.
Many Wiccans that I know sound just like Christians. "Oh, I prayed to the Goddess for this or that," or "I thanked the Goddess for giving me whatever it was that I wanted."
They are anthropomorphizing an invisible deity. Lots of that kind of thinking going around, sadly.
I am a happy atheist now. Reality matters to me.
I can enjoy a mystery without having to label it or having to makeup an explanation.
Don't get me wrong...I love mythology. My copy of the bible joins Bullfinch's Mythology, the Iliad, the Odessey, the Elder and Younger Eddas, Grimm's Fairy tales, and the Lord of the Rings on my bookshelves.(All of which are better reading than it is.)
Fantasy is entertaining, and, at its best, educational.
It just shouldn't be confused with reality.
Please do not ever try to sort books in a public library. Based upon your nothing-of your own interpretation, you'd FAIL miserably trying to do so, as it's obviously OUT of your realm of comprehension and tolerance.
The EaterBunny

London, KY

#97833 Mar 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Leprechauns ... some people had even swore to catching them. There is more evidence supporting leprechauns than any of the proposed gods, any of them. There's more evidence of Zeus than the christian god even. Just consider your sources for a moment, then consider who has the greater incentive to lie ...
Religious leaders:
1. Money comes from the followers.
2. Their influence over the followers garners them political power.
3. They have more rights in the area with the same religious belief.
Atheist/Agnostic:
1. No followers, therefore no money.
2. Must stand on your own demonstrated value and worth for opinions.
3. Act right without the threat of punishment or reward.
4. Risk not only losing rights but also risk bodily harm by admitting to it.
Who has the reasons to lie?
big·ot
noun \&#712;bi-g&#601;t\
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
The EaterBunny

London, KY

#97834 Mar 30, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? If one of my kids was about to be...oh....I don't know...raped and murdered and tossed down a well, and I had the power to stop it, guess what I would do?
I'd stop it.
The god-as-parent argument is, to me, ridiculous. Unless god is just as fallible and weak as a human parent. But that's not the God you believe in. Your God can create universes and orchestrate the entire human condition.
He could stop a rape and murder.
Why doesn't he?
That's why people are just people, NOT any sort of "God(s)".
TruthIs

London, KY

#97835 Mar 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Many times there is no difference between "peoples harmless personal beliefs and psycho-socioIllogical behaviors." I do not advocate validating and protecting disorders beneath the robes of religion.
I don't advocate validating or protecting disorders that are harmful to others beneath the robes/rubes/guises of ANYTHING.
Including IGNORANCE.
TruthIs

London, KY

#97836 Mar 30, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>One of our gardenias just bloomed and it is beautiful and smells so good, will not find that in a "church"
WOuld if someone picked a peck of them, put them in a bowl with water, and placed them in a church, where others could enjoy the fragrance as well.
Just saying :-).
GWB

Roseville, CA

#97837 Mar 30, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Man I hope that pans out to something useful!
I second that thought. Here is another interesting one of a girl that does not age.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/girl-age-br...
GWB

Roseville, CA

#97838 Mar 30, 2013
I wonder what atheist and Christians think about this group?

Army of God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God_%28U...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#97839 Mar 30, 2013
Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
May God hold you in the palm HIS HAND.

HAPPY EASTER!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#97840 Mar 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Leprechauns ... some people had even swore to catching them. There is more evidence supporting leprechauns than any of the proposed gods, any of them. There's more evidence of Zeus than the christian god even. Just consider your sources for a moment, then consider who has the greater incentive to lie ...

Religious leaders:
1. Money comes from the followers.
2. Their influence over the followers garners them political power.
3. They have more rights in the area with the same religious belief.

Atheist/Agnostic:
1. No followers, therefore no money.
2. Must stand on your own demonstrated value and worth for opinions.
3. Act right without the threat of punishment or reward.
4. Risk not only losing rights but also risk bodily harm by admitting to it.

Who has the reasons to lie?
Not every Christian church. Our church leaders do not get paid. None of them. Sorry to debunk you.
One of the reasons I left the Protestant church I grew up in.

What evidence is there for Zeus?

Location hidden

#97841 Mar 30, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>I think the Mormons bring in over 7 billion a year in tax free tithing, I'm sure others religions do even better.
Yes , and isn't it nice that this money doesn't go in someone's pocket? It goes to building buildings and assistance for natural disasters, etc

Location hidden

#97842 Mar 30, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Really? If one of my kids was about to be...oh....I don't know...raped and murdered and tossed down a well, and I had the power to stop it, guess what I would do?

I'd stop it.

The god-as-parent argument is, to me, ridiculous. Unless god is just as fallible and weak as a human parent. But that's not the God you believe in. Your God can create universes and orchestrate the entire human condition.

He could stop a rape and murder.

Why doesn't he?
I don't know. Sometimes He does. Sometimes He does not. We all have different challenges. Sometimes we or a loved one go through things so we learn something, or to prepare us for something in the future. As I said, God doesn't get involved in every human act. We all wish bad things didn't happen, such as accidents, but rapes and murders are not God's fault. The only fault here are the monsters that orchestrate the act.

Location hidden

#97843 Mar 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>TruthIs wrote, "<quoted text>
See now that is where there seems to be a problem for some (including those that wish to lump and label ANY sector of society with same ignorant broad brush strokes) in differentiating between peoples harmless personal beliefs, and psycho-socioIllogical behaviors.
That type of brandishing is either
A. Outright Ignorance (willful or otherwise)
or
B. Psycho-Socio ILLogical.
Because, many times, there IS a difference."

Many times there is no difference between "peoples harmless personal beliefs and psycho-socioIllogical behaviors." I do not advocate validating and protecting disorders beneath the robes of religion.
Your opinion. Sorry you feel it's a "disorder".
Consider the word "fun". It's a word that's hard to explain to someone that has never experienced it. It doesn't mean that the one observing someone having fun is correct by saying they must have a mental disorder.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97844 Mar 30, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't advocate validating or protecting disorders that are harmful to others beneath the robes/rubes/guises of ANYTHING.
Including IGNORANCE.
There are many who advocate validating and protecting what you might deem "harmless" disorders. Including ignorance and in some cases, ESPECIALLY ignorance.
TruthIs

London, KY

#97845 Mar 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many who advocate validating and protecting what you might deem "harmless" disorders. Including ignorance and in some cases, ESPECIALLY ignorance.
Obviously.

Just look at all the hateful posts on this thread directed at others, who simply see things differently.

There IS a difference between disagreeing and having differences in opinion from others, and merely attacking others with out having justifiable, rational or ethical cause.
One is logical, the other is just Wrong.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97846 Mar 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion. Sorry you feel it's a "disorder".
Consider the word "fun". It's a word that's hard to explain to someone that has never experienced it. It doesn't mean that the one observing someone having fun is correct by saying they must have a mental disorder.
Charles Manson's idea of "fun" is probably alien to you and me both.
My wife has no idea why I find Topix entertaining, and I don't share her appreciation and enthusiasm for scrapbooking.
It isn't unlikely that an outside observer might evaluate that both of us displays a little OCD. That's fair - the psyche is a spaghetti bowl of subtle quirks and eccentricities only discerned from "disorders" by amounts and direction.
But then there is religion - a construct that in many cases actually encourages breaks from reality. A case in point.
Would you feel some form of positive emotion in observing a bris? I wouldn't. To some degree, one might argue that those experiencing pride, fulfillment or happiness at a mutilation ceremony might be irrational at best and deranged at worst. Oh, but what is a foreskin, anyway - right? Some doctors even dismiss it as a hygienic preemptive strike - one of God's little mistakes?. Then what about female circumcisions as performed in some Muslim cultures?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97847 Mar 30, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously.
Just look at all the hateful posts on this thread directed at others, who simply see things differently.
There IS a difference between disagreeing and having differences in opinion from others, and merely attacking others with out having justifiable, rational or ethical cause.
One is logical, the other is just Wrong.
Simply not comprehending others' opinions do not make them unjustified. Denying ignorance of a subject does not make one learned. Basing decisions exclusively on emotional investments and religious vestments does not indicate one is either rational or ethical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If McGhee is this dirty in Campaign, Imagine on... 3 min BBP 13
Peace/Brown-A 20 min Hoax liers 5
Indictments 21 min Hey 63
Mike Warren embezzled money? 46 min Kenitha 14
election drawing near 50 min hmm 3
S tilhaus Kitchens Warrington 1 hr tongsampah106 1
City council approves mowing illegal private pr... 2 hr Mayors lies 26
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 3 hr Door knob 72
Letter in mail from Sheriff candidate 15 hr observing 28
Barbourville Dating