Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,665)

Showing posts 93,281 - 93,300 of122,604
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Laura

Lynn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Country Bumpkin2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what did God have to say about the Amish school shootings?
I was on the table, legs spread, anticipating with feline delight the duck bill (as call de speculum), and I heard the doctor flipping through the labias of my pusssy. Then, out of nowhere, he mention that he'd noticed I'd gain weight. Really?! could you have said that before I was seated umcomfortably at the edge of the table, naked, Mothher ffucker. Really?! I told him I was there for him to examine my vagina, not my waistline I never went back to him again.
pat

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys can't even agree on basic bible teachings and you love to brag about your God's killing and torturing powers.
...I always enjoy how after a natural disaster occurs, such as a tornado/hurrican...half the town (that surives) goes public with their, "thanks to god" for sparing them...but yet they never bother to consider a "thankx to god" for bringing the damn disaster.....talk about brain washed, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !@#%

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

pat wrote:
<quoted text>
...I always enjoy how after a natural disaster occurs, such as a tornado/hurrican...half the town (that surives) goes public with their, "thanks to god" for sparing them...but yet they never bother to consider a "thankx to god" for bringing the damn disaster.....talk about brain washed, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !@#%
That reminds me of a time in Detroit where a guy tried to commit suicide by driving his car down a side street (Trinity) toward I-696 at 100mp... He crossed the service drive and jumped the freeway which is in a trench about 15 foot deep and landed 4 lanes over and landed on top of a Church Van full of follower.... On the New the preacher was in front of the hospital as they were performing surgeries on 7 people to save their lives and he Praised God that he had protected the followers and none had dies in the horrific crash... First thing I thought was If God was their protector why didn't the guy Miss....

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Technically no. The chances would be that over half the people you know would at one time be incarcerated, but the distribution is actually less diverse, there are areas with high concentrations of criminal activity, they will have a 90% of knowing someone who was incarcerated while you would have about a 30% chance of it, simply because of that distribution.

Statistics are a messy business, and the devil is in the details, thus why just rattling off such numbers is always ... well ... fallacious, you need to see entire reports to understand them. However, the lump total is about 60% of all the people in the US have been incarcerated, that also includes illegal immigrants and other various activities. Not everyone incarcerated stays long either, an hour and you get counted, drunk tank to sober up ... then you're counted, taken in under suspicion of anything, and you're counted.

But at the same time, you demonstrated that you are lacking perspective. The world, even our country, is massive, huge. We could hear about mass killings in the news every day for a year and still not be directly effected by one, and the chances of a loved one being a victim would still be miniscule.
My point exactly. That statistic was irrelevant.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>1) I don't expect video footage. But at the same time I am not going to reduce my requirement for evidence to the point of accepting wild claims based on eye witness testimonials. In this case, we have a crazy story that cannot have happened the way it was told based on the evidence we have available. Something did in fact happen, but it was not a man being led by Angels to find a hidden gospel of Jesus Christ or pre-Jesus peoples. It was a known fraud creating a new cult. Happens all the time. The fact that 19th century people believed him is not shocking.

2) Joseph Smith was a brilliant man. He was an exceptional con artist. And 6th grade was pretty advanced for the time. Neither of my own parents went past 5th grade. Smith was far more capable intellectually than the LDS wants to admit. It makes for a better narrative if they paint him as a yokel who was led by God. And really, if you have an inspiration and a good mind, it does not take very long to crank out a book. The BoM does not strike me as a particularly difficult book either.

3) There were wild horses in the Americas ten thousand years ago. I think, based on what I remember of this topic, they might have been hunted and killed off around the same time that we killed off the mega-fauna. That does not line up at all with BoM timelines. The idea you are referring to is championed by Mormon apologists but not accepted by mainstream science. If you can show me how this evidence is part of the scientific canon I will change my opinion on this part of the topic. Otherwise, it is a case of Smith assuming horses had just always been part of the human culture.
1. And 2. Are completely your opinion. What evidence would you like to see other than the witnesses?

3. You are asking me for apologist responses. I've already told you I don't believe we are supposed to have proof, so expect more things that seem to line up but could still be considered coincidence.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>1) If you already believe something to be true, then you search for evidence to back it up you are embracing a strong bias. Science, or critical thinking, is designed to eliminate as much bias as possible. However, scientists do seek evidence to support their hypothesis, which is similar to what you describe here. But there is a powerful difference. When a hypothesis is presented to a crowd of peers and those peers do not find the evidence compelling it is rejected. A good scientist then modifies the idea or abandons it. They do not cling to it out of faith. Faith is what you have when you lack a reason. It hangs on nothing but a feeling.

2) If you accept science (particles and junk) then why tack on the added complication of a Designer? Back in Joseph Smith's day he would not have had any idea about particles. No mention of them in the BoM. No mention of quantum physics. Then along comes science and discovers these properties of the universe. Suddenly God takes on the role of being behind those properties. In fact, each time we discover some deeper fact about how the universe works you have to move God one step backward in the process. In Smith's day it would have been acceptable for an educated man to say that God keeps the planets moving and has a hand in every day life. Today we know so much more about that stuff that it makes no sense to say that. God has been pushed back to an even more remote position, always occupying that space of knowledge where humans have not yet penetrated.

The term for that is God of the Gaps. You put God into the unknown spaces. Those areas of the map that say "here be monsters".
I don't think God has to play a hand in day to day physics. I think God put these things in place and set laws that they obey, like instinct for example, or gravitational pull.

I see your point of view, I just can't agree that the complexities that we now are able to find prove that God doesn't exist. I see it the opposite. I don't think it could have happened by chance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>It sounded awfully high to me, too. I'd typed 'How many Americans have been in prison' in Google. WikiAnswers short description came back 63%. When I just now went back and clicked the link, it comes back 3%. That answer doesn't sound correct, either - not for the percentage of living people in the country who are or have ever been incarcerated.

Reuters, 2006:
A U.S. Justice Department report released on November 30 showed that a record 7 million people -- or one in every 32 American adults -- were behind bars, on probation or on parole at the end of last year. Of the total, 2.2 million were in prison or jail.

According to the International Centre for Prison Studies at King's College in London, more people are behind bars in the United States than in any other country. China ranks second with 1.5 million prisoners, followed by Russia with 870,000.

The U.S. incarceration rate of 737 per 100,000 people in the highest, followed by 611 in Russia and 547 for St. Kitts and Nevis. In contrast, the incarceration rates in many Western industrial nations range around 100 per 100,000 people.

Groups advocating reform of U.S. sentencing laws seized on the latest U.S. prison population figures showing admissions of inmates have been rising even faster than the numbers of prisoners who have been released.

"The United States has 5 percent of the world's population and 25 percent of the world's incarcerated population. We rank first in the world in locking up our fellow citizens," said Ethan Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance, which supports alternatives in the war on drugs.
It's just sad that it's that high. Geez

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>I have one child but that sure doesn't mean I had sex one time with on woman. I'm not gay, it was never a choice for me either but I am a big fan of oral and anal so even tho they can't create a child, they are capable of satisfying each other sexually. Gratification to me is way more important than procreating.

I think not letting gays get married makes it seem like those that can are better people than those that aren't allowed. That's my opinion on it anyways. Since most religions think gay is a choice, was it a choice for you? Could you be gay for a month to try it out and see if you liked it? I couldn't so I believe they were born that way, or on the religious side, God made them that way.
I don't think it's choice. I think it has a lot to do with what you are exposed to. A product of experiences and surroundings. These things shape how we think and we don't notice it.

Gratification like you suggest could be had with animals, vacuum cleaners, apple pie, the list goes on. Just because it fits doesn't mean you should stick it in there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>I think this is a perfect example of picking and choosing what people want to out of the bible. If the OT says taking more than one wife is ok then you should stone children and own slaves as well. Do you guys still practice the old law or do you believe it was done away with when Jesus popped into the scene?

I've always felt sorry for the Mormon kids that knocked on my door. I knew what it was like to get doors slammed in my face so they were always welcomed in, offered anything in the kitchen and could sit around and cool off/warm up or whatever. I found it interesting how they thought they would end up in one of the higher levels of heaven. They would explain it like taking an exam at school. If I didn't study and they did then they deserve a better grade than me.

How long is their door to door work required, is it two years and then they're done with the bike rides? Whats up with the red ties, is that a requirement as well?
The harsher laws you speak of in the OT were because the people at the time had proved that they could not live the higher laws. Jesus fulfilled the laws of Moses.

Red ties are not required. Just common. White shirt and dress pants are required. Clean haircut and no facial hair is required as well. It's all about being presentable and respectable. 2 years for males, 18 months for females. Usually between the ages of 18 and 25, and couples can serve missions once older. And bikes are only required in certain areas. Cars are common in many places, but they limit miles.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
It can't be a idiot thing if there are 6billion followers and only 900million atheists.
You just make numbers up? The largest religion is Islam, then there is Hindu, Buddha, Pagans, Atheist, and christians along with a few other religions.
In the world christians rank number 3 but the number of people who go to church regularly is around 100,000,000.(in the USA)

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Actual Numbers, not that made up crap he posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religiou...
Thanks Quantummist, religies have to be full of crap with no brains their skull would collapse.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's choice. I think it has a lot to do with what you are exposed to. A product of experiences and surroundings. These things shape how we think and we don't notice it.
Gratification like you suggest could be had with animals, vacuum cleaners, apple pie, the list goes on. Just because it fits doesn't mean you should stick it in there.
"Just because it fits doesn't mean you should stick it in there."

Words religies should live by, but of course they don't.

Are you having fun yet chester, I am.
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
Riddle me this, Batman:
If free will (as you Christians believe in it) exists then what does that mean for your god's power or morality?
If your god is omniscient then he is aware of everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen...right? If he is omnipotent he has the ability to do anything anywhere at any time...right? You propose that people choose to do bad things (evil) and free will allows this.
So, if free will exists, then either:
A) your god is powerless to stop evil from happening which means hes not omnipotent, or
B) he isn't aware of it happening which means hes not omniscient (or omnipotent I contest, I dont think you can be omnipotent without having omniscience), or
C) he simply chooses not to stop it... which means hes immoral.
How is this not true?
(1) He said, Choose life, and live.
(2) You think this life is the end... It's not!
(3) When He shows up to clean this world of sin...
Do you think you will stand, or be swept away?
What about tomorrow?
God is real, and He gives everyone a chance!
Thank you Lord for giving me another chance!
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see any "..." in this post, YaA.
You said ALL of your posts have "..." in them.
Is this one of your less obedient personalities posting? You should stone it for being dishonest and disrespectful of it's master.
It was too short to put this ......in!

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think God has to play a hand in day to day physics. I think God put these things in place and set laws that they obey, like instinct for example, or gravitational pull.
I see your point of view, I just can't agree that the complexities that we now are able to find prove that God doesn't exist. I see it the opposite. I don't think it could have happened by chance.
"I think God put these things in place and set laws that they obey, like instinct for example, or gravitational pull."

Duuhhh, I don't know so "god did it".
You're right you don't think. Are you a creationist as well as a pervert?

haha

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>(1) He said, Choose life, and live.
What about tomorrow?
Overdramatic and baseless assertions.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>(1) He said, Choose life, and live.
What about tomorrow?
What Sin? Since you ignore what your bible says even you do not believe in sin

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
My point exactly. That statistic was irrelevant.
Unless it supports your view? I see you had no comments for mister 6 million religies point of view, lol, religie hypocrite. Fun yet?
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be non-Caucasian and non-European, of course.'Cause everybody knows Jesus was a white guy - just like every president should be.
Gawd bless ya, cause no one else would. Yer a real piece of work, YaA.
Hahaha!
Everyone knows Jesus was olive skinned, but as in yer reply...
It's not you looks, but what you do!
Funny thing is...
You Osama lovers....
Cannot see the evil in what he does, and the lies he's told!
Maybe because yer the same???

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Why would any Sane person want a book in public schools that makes people so ignorant like the holyhatebible does.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 93,281 - 93,300 of122,604
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
crrreeep 9 min guss 2
Eight arrested in Knox drug roundup... 2 hr holland 16
1304 country village hill 2 hr who knows 3
timmy joe from jack's wheel allignment (Nov '12) 3 hr fb guy 14
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 4 hr blahblah123 917
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 4 hr blahblah123 25,960
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 4 hr blahblah123 16,060
•••

Freeze Warning for Knox County was issued at April 17 at 6:13AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE