Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
93,201 - 93,220 of 128,883 Comments Last updated 40 min ago

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97533
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said evidence wasn't important. I said there will never be proof, and that the plan was for us to have to rely on faith. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy searching for evidences of the things I believe. It's cool for me to run across something that affirms my faith.
Just because I believe in a creator, a higher power that had a hand in the intricate details of how particles work together, to the amazing human body, to the wonders if the universe, doesn't mean it's magic. It's just admitting that we aren't the smartest creatures in existence.
1) If you already believe something to be true, then you search for evidence to back it up you are embracing a strong bias. Science, or critical thinking, is designed to eliminate as much bias as possible. However, scientists do seek evidence to support their hypothesis, which is similar to what you describe here. But there is a powerful difference. When a hypothesis is presented to a crowd of peers and those peers do not find the evidence compelling it is rejected. A good scientist then modifies the idea or abandons it. They do not cling to it out of faith. Faith is what you have when you lack a reason. It hangs on nothing but a feeling.

2) If you accept science (particles and junk) then why tack on the added complication of a Designer? Back in Joseph Smith's day he would not have had any idea about particles. No mention of them in the BoM. No mention of quantum physics. Then along comes science and discovers these properties of the universe. Suddenly God takes on the role of being behind those properties. In fact, each time we discover some deeper fact about how the universe works you have to move God one step backward in the process. In Smith's day it would have been acceptable for an educated man to say that God keeps the planets moving and has a hand in every day life. Today we know so much more about that stuff that it makes no sense to say that. God has been pushed back to an even more remote position, always occupying that space of knowledge where humans have not yet penetrated.

The term for that is God of the Gaps. You put God into the unknown spaces. Those areas of the map that say "here be monsters".

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97534
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Merlin the Wizard wrote:
The globalists are pushing through their agenda.
No doubt! Consider this video as evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97536
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
How to waste time redundantly, daily.
HA.
So you're admitting that your posts are bullshit? That's a first.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97537
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, the Catholic Church was the leading institution of education during the Middle Ages in the Western world. If you wanted to learn, you could become a monk and spend most of your time learning. There were monks going into the East and introducing people to Western ideas and advances.
But that does not mean God did it. Nor does it mean religion makes you smart. It means the Catholic Church was the only power great enough to be able to offer that kind of space for learning. And at the time they had no reason to think that learning about reality via early quasi-science would damage faith. It wasn't until the 16 or 17th centuries when science started to really get going that the Church kinda figured out what was happening. Unrestricted critical thinking leads almost inevitably to the erosion of faith.
Because faith is antithetical to critical thinking. They do not go together very well. They can exist in the same mind, but they don't function simultaneously. To have faith, you cannot be critical. To be critical means to not have faith.
And by the way, the only people on the planet who denounce evolution are Creationists. And they are, to the man, stupid.
I've seen a lot of good, accurate info on SOME of dem dare uh "creationist" sites. Current even! Where you specifically referring to general creationists, young earth creationist, traditional creationists, Methodology creationists (uhoh LOL) or elsewise.
And who duh man in your literal instance? Plato, Derwood, St Augustine, Origen? I'll guess Derwood for you, mostly because man folk like he always get a little razzed when anyone doesn't agree with what might briefly beheld in ten second lapses of actual thought.
I can however acknowledge the statement of faith and critical thinking, NOT existing harmoniously in the same arena at times, being as one does require a more meditative state, rather than an active thought state, and based upon that, the statement does make logical sense.
Much more sense than blaming some God for everything wrong in the worlduh, OR thinking religion (especially minduhless spews of selected that are about as relevently applicable to anything as a household iron would be to a slab of marble) text makes anyone smert.
To some duh women, that kind of illogical nonsense is just stupid,

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97538
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

I think that every one should go to a church, how else can they burn them down?
Gay people are not under the old law, they are under grace. Gay people are not perfect they are just forgiven.
Is that a pork chop you are eating?
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97539
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

pat wrote:
<quoted text>
...if there was a hell, and I did go, I bet I'd see alot of people with bibles next to me. LOLOLOLOLOL.
...so you wish your fire filled hell on me do you???
...well, I hope you get hit by a mack truck tomorrow, and possibly decapitated...and your head rolls far away, body left unrecognizable, burned to a crisp!...because you don't belive what I believe...
...did I beat your fire filled torture for eternity threat?...do I sound evil???
...I'm an atheist, suck my balls...fuck your god/gods...please send your threats my way, just so I know I wasted a little of your time.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL ....suck it!
That's not very nice, you COULD just say thank you, glad to see you reserving a seat to be joining me!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97540
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Christian don't want gays, but they would never discriminate against them.
Suuuuure, and you have some great land you'd like to sell me in Florida right?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97541
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Known Fact wrote:
THE ENCERDABLE CELL
There are 100 trillion cells in the human body and each cell has the DNA for the make up. That is SCIENTIFIC! Explain how that could come about through evolution.
OH AND BY THE WAY THE SCIENTIFIC WORLD IS EXPOSING AND DISPROVING YOUR EVOLUTION THEORY!
So you do not understand biology? You must have gone to school in Florida
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97542
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. I understand. After all people with faith in a creator aren't even human. They don't deserve respect, or even life. How dare anyone think differently than you. Wouldn't the world be better off if everyone believed and acted like you? Yeah, I can see that utopia right now. Religies are so intolerant of others beliefs. Not like you ... Or something like that.
The clues of the ignorance within...

Who in the hell would use a termn like "religie" to start with.

Instant "bigot stamp on forehead" lol.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97543
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
1) If you already believe something to be true, then you search for evidence to back it up you are embracing a strong bias. Science, or critical thinking, is designed to eliminate as much bias as possible. However, scientists do seek evidence to support their hypothesis, which is similar to what you describe here. But there is a powerful difference. When a hypothesis is presented to a crowd of peers and those peers do not find the evidence compelling it is rejected. A good scientist then modifies the idea or abandons it. They do not cling to it out of faith. Faith is what you have when you lack a reason. It hangs on nothing but a feeling.
2) If you accept science (particles and junk) then why tack on the added complication of a Designer? Back in Joseph Smith's day he would not have had any idea about particles. No mention of them in the BoM. No mention of quantum physics. Then along comes science and discovers these properties of the universe. Suddenly God takes on the role of being behind those properties. In fact, each time we discover some deeper fact about how the universe works you have to move God one step backward in the process. In Smith's day it would have been acceptable for an educated man to say that God keeps the planets moving and has a hand in every day life. Today we know so much more about that stuff that it makes no sense to say that. God has been pushed back to an even more remote position, always occupying that space of knowledge where humans have not yet penetrated.
The term for that is God of the Gaps. You put God into the unknown spaces. Those areas of the map that say "here be monsters".
You have brought up some interesting points,great debate.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97544
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said evidence wasn't important. I said there will never be proof, and that the plan was for us to have to rely on faith. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy searching for evidences of the things I believe. It's cool for me to run across something that affirms my faith.
Just because I believe in a creator, a higher power that had a hand in the intricate details of how particles work together, to the amazing human body, to the wonders if the universe, doesn't mean it's magic. It's just admitting that we aren't the smartest creatures in existence.
But yet, what other species can read, process and rationalize opinion.

On this planet anyway.

Things that can make people go hmmm...to have such innate ability and then for so many to STILL opt to act like much lower level of intelligence, near brainless animals, with out any modicom of ethical excuse.....why even Science warns Against the ignorance of such!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97545
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
But yet, what other species can read, process and rationalize opinion.
On this planet anyway.
Things that can make people go hmmm...to have such innate ability and then for so many to STILL opt to act like much lower level of intelligence, near brainless animals, with out any modicom of ethical excuse.....why even Science warns Against the ignorance of such!
Other apes, and some chimps. Try this "thought experiment," come up with one trait humans have which no other animal has, dare you to.

Oh, and it has to be a real one, "soul" is not supported by evidence, nor is "spirit."
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97546
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"All I can do is explain it to you, I cannot understand it for you"
Oh and by the way, no it isn't...
Couldn't you've have just referenced quantumn PHYSICS. Theoretically, it does classify in it's own realms, rather than that of the continual evolutionary process based upon stuff that was already there (the key words being already there)...

tsk

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97547
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

James Holmes, the Co. shooter has accepted jesus as his savior and asked god for forgiveness so he is now your brother (if you are a christian) ad will be in heaven with you i love
Bwahahahaha
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97548
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're admitting that your posts are bullshit? That's a first.
In the field of many piles of it!!!!!!

Wanna see it out the left corner of mouthage?
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97549
Mar 28, 2013
 
Merlin the Wizard wrote:
The globalists are pushing through their agenda.
Like imposing tax on emails and each gigabyte used.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97550
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen a lot of good, accurate info on SOME of dem dare uh "creationist" sites. Current even! Where you specifically referring to general creationists, young earth creationist, traditional creationists, Methodology creationists (uhoh LOL) or elsewise.
They're all idiots. They all start with a proposition (god created everything) and then try to find data to support it. Which leads to cherry picking, fabrication, and ignoring contradictory data. It's the exact opposite of the scientific method.
I had a hard time making sense of the rest of your post. Either I haven't had enough coffee yet, or you haven't had enough meds yet. Not sure which...
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97551
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Satanic Priest wrote:
I think that every one should go to a church, how else can they burn them down?
Gay people are not under the old law, they are under grace. Gay people are not perfect they are just forgiven.
Is that a pork chop you are eating?
Do yew like the Geico lizard or the piglet better?

We won't hate yew for your own personal preference lol.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97552
Mar 28, 2013
 
Byy
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97553
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Satanic Priest wrote:
James Holmes, the Co. shooter has accepted jesus as his savior and asked god for forgiveness so he is now your brother (if you are a christian) ad will be in heaven with you i love
Bwahahahaha
Ah Don't think that guy is really sane enough to conceptualize the concepts of.
For obvious reasons.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

64 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Elmer at Creek mart 9 min Lol 9
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 13 min YAS 26,206
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 17 min chaos 1,022
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 24 min pissypoofer 16,124
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 42 min scirocco 146,756
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr poofylover 81,560
Anthony Smith 1 hr funny 11
Marlena cox 1 hr Right 41
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 23 hr sheila 420
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••