Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
93,061 - 93,080 of 129,039 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Here's the thing. He presented you with a classic Christian dilemma called The Problem of Evil. Philosophers and theologians have wrestled this one for thousands of years with no satisfying answer. So there is no way you can possibly give him a satisfying answer.

But you didn't even give him an answer. You dodged the question.

Let's put the question into some context:

You already said God is basically love. Do you also believe that God is all powerful?

If so, consider this story from India:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/03/i...

"But it was two more days before a farmer found their bodies floating in the dark water at the bottom of a deep well in a corner of a paddyfield one mile from their home.

Even then, police initially treated the deaths as an accident. It was not until villagers started blocking the highway in protest that they started to pay attention. Two days later, the results of the postmortem examination came through and the story exploded. The girls had been raped and murdered, the report said."

So here is a case where three little girls were raped, murdered, and tossed down a well.

Do you think God knew this was happening? If so, what reason can you think of for God to allow it to happen?

You already said God is all loving. Is rape and murder a sign of love?

If it is a matter of free will and the murderers were exercising their free will to rape and kill, then how did the free will of the children come into play? They were free to be terrified, in pain, and finally succumb to the dark, cold waters of a deep well?

You can believe in God all day long but this bullsh*t about God being a "loving" deity is just offensive in the face of crimes like this.
There is PAIN and EVIL in all the world. No where in the bible does it state differently. We.. People..began the sin problem.. We live with it now daily in many forms. It will not go away until Jesus returns. It rains on the just and unjust. Blessings and cursings. It's what we do with our life after the bad horrible situations/conditions that matters. If they change. We r a super blessed people just living in the states.
GOD does not cause evil. If you KNOW GOD again, you will know these answers. Again it's a mystery to those who don't. These people (you included) I am certain are much more intelligent than myself... But God did use a donkey...He also uses me. I could go on and on but on here ... Nope... It would only be debunked by people who have a BETTER answer. You seek God, then you will have their answer and so will they...it's not my job to prove anything. I already have my proof..
God bless you

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
I'm tired of playing tonight. My heart is burdened for the lost souls represented here. I pray that their eyes and ears be opened to the truth so that they all may come to know Your love, peace and the pure joy that comes from knowing You Jesus. In Jesus name. Amen.
While I find this to be utter boloney, I do appreciate the sentiment. I always smile and thank people who say they pray for me because I think they really mean well.

It is ok if you can't address the questions asked here. Rape and murder of children in the full knowledge of your God is probably a pretty hard pill to swallow. And if you think about how many babies are killed every single day across the world by everything from disease to starvation to natural disaster to murder is makes your heart very heavy. Especially when Jesus is supposed to be the one looking out for us.

Night.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
I do not understand how any rational modern person who can read would believe in a god some desert goat herders in the middle east made up a few thousand years ago.
The fundies here act like the christian cult is an American religion. News flash, you are a part of a religion made up in the middle east, just like musims
Do you think it was because people were getting tired of poking out eyes, cutting off hands and all that other dark age, control freakish stuff-and started preferring better ways-like peace goodwill and kindness towards other instead?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is PAIN and EVIL in all the world. No where in the bible does it state differently. We.. People..began the sin problem.. We live with it now daily in many forms. It will not go away until Jesus returns. It rains on the just and unjust. Blessings and cursings. It's what we do with our life after the bad horrible situations/conditions that matters. If they change. We r a super blessed people just living in the states.
GOD does not cause evil. If you KNOW GOD again, you will know these answers. Again it's a mystery to those who don't. These people (you included) I am certain are much more intelligent than myself... But God did use a donkey...He also uses me. I could go on and on but on here ... Nope... It would only be debunked by people who have a BETTER answer. You seek God, then you will have their answer and so will they...it's not my job to prove anything. I already have my proof..
God bless you
So we are born with sin (out of our hands) and God is the cure for that disease? Yet it was God who constructed the world in which that disease came into being.

That's the problem, you see. If God really is everything you think he is then he is ultimately responsible for every nasty, horrifying thing that has ever happened.

And there have been a lot of those things over the years.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
As aptly as the Constitutional was written, don't you think that if they (the Founding Fathers) intended to write "in the year of our potus 17 hundred blablahblah"...they would've?
But NO, that is NOT what they wrote-they wrote and signed names to-
..."done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,....."
Geez, pull your fingers out yer ears and from your nose will ya please.
You think that writing "In the Year of Our Lord" means anything more than 1787 AD? Nah. Hasn't anybody told you that if you keep fiddlin' with yer brain like that you'll go blind?
If you find "In God We Trust" in the Constitution you've got some kind of bootleg edition probably published by someone like the Tea Party Baptist Church and Internet Sweepstakes Parlor For Jesus, Inc.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a personal "Constitutional freedom OF" thing... NOT an ego tripping, power questing "control-freakish" thing, no matter which denominational rail post, or fence side, anyone sits upon.
'Cause I don't believe ALL "Christians" are "evil" either...because in MY opinion, to think such would be representative of T-total ignorance.
Kinda like nothing more than low level, animalisTic "herd pack" MENTALity.
That's the kind of stuff that a lot of the darker moments of many of the "histronics and hysteria" times of history are comprised of.
Did you know...before Science correctly identified tuberculosis, people used to think that people afflicted with it were possessed by vampires?
Unbelievable what (non) remedies were practiced in efforts to "cure" the afflicted of such,(non)cures that often just made the spread of the disease even worse.
Classic example of "ignorance 101"...tuberculosis (aka "consumption")in the 1700's.
and for whomever "judged"...

Tuberculosis, also known as “consumption,”“phthisis,” or the “white plague,” was the cause of more deaths in industrialized countries than any other disease during the 19th and early 20th centuries. By the late 19th century, 70 to 90% of the urban populations of Europe and North America were infected with the TB bacillus, and about 80% of those individuals who developed active tuberculosis ...

Tuberculosis in Europe and North America, 1800–1922.

Harvard University Open Library Collection:Contagions; Historical views of Diseases and epidemics.

History & Archaeology

The Great New England Vampire Panic
Two hundred years after the Salem witch trials, farmers became convinced that their relatives were returning from the grave to feed on the living

Though scholars today still struggle to explain the vampire panics, a key detail unites them: The public hysteria almost invariably occurred in the midst of savage tuberculosis outbreaks. Indeed, the medical museum’s tests ultimately revealed that J.B. had suffered from tuberculosis, or a lung disease very like it. Typically, a rural family contracted the wasting illness, and—even though they often received the standard medical diagnosis—the survivors blamed early victims as “vampires,” responsible for preying upon family members who subsequently fell sick. Often an exhumation was called for, to stop the vampire’s predations.

Tucker, A. The-Great-New-England-Vampire- Panic. The Smithsonian. October 2012.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You think that writing "In the Year of Our Lord" means anything more than 1787 AD? Nah. Hasn't anybody told you that if you keep fiddlin' with yer brain like that you'll go blind?
If you find "In God We Trust" in the Constitution you've got some kind of bootleg edition probably published by someone like the Tea Party Baptist Church and Internet Sweepstakes Parlor For Jesus, Inc.
I didn't write-I just READ it.

(and don't try and sell me any snake oil either-there's too much recorded documentation attesting to even the specifically reserved SEATS, some of them sat upon, in years of the houses of their "Lord", Amen.
(TPBC..stay on your own side of the middle of the fence post- rail, fisher worm lol)
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Both 1 and 2 involve faith. I fully admit that. I have said before I believe that's one of the main reasons we are on this earth, to have our faith tested. With proof, there is no room for faith.
How about this: for those that have faith in God, and believe the Bible to be the word of God, why can't there be other records from other groups of people that Jesus visited when He told us he was leaving to tend to other sheep?
And as for 1. That was the purpose of the witnesses of the Book of Mormon. If you read the testimonies of the people that wrote what they saw, they did so to say that they saw and handled the gold plates and witnessed the angel Moroni that brought it forth.
Again I realize faith is required because one could argue that these men were all in cahoots. Though it isn't plausible to me that these men would risk their lives to do all of this, lose everything they had and still die poor.
Some of them even got mad at Joseph at some point and turned away from him but never denounced the BOM and what they said they witnessed.
I think that is correct about religion, that it is based on faith and not proof. Some read the bible and have faith not fully understanding anything or really caring except to be a good person and practicing what they think the bible requires of them. A hope of seeing their loves ones after they have died or just doing it because of the fear of eternal torment by God.

Christians in African countries have faith in God and still burn humans alive for what they think are those practicing witchcraft. Is that pleasing to God because of doing so, somehow I feel that would be wrong if I was a God. Yet their faith will somehow give them a pass to heaven they believe. It makes one wonder how this could be?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lol, good one, religies never let ya down.
You looking for an alter boy? Lmao, that was a good one also.
Wrong religion.
And I think my question was relevant based on the level of maturity you are showing. You're out to show how stupid "religies" are? Hmmm, how's that backfiring, I mean working out for you?
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

WTF wrote:
<quoted text> what the heck is wrong with people these days? this country was built on IN GOD WE TRUST. hello? are u all nuts, or what? seriously, wtf. without the knowledge of the power of GOD we will not prosper. thanks for being one of those who suck and will send this country straight to hell. yes, hell's a real place, as so is heaven.
in god we trust wasnt part of this country until the 1950's. do some research about the motto and the pledge of allegiance while u are at it. this country was not founded for the christians, it was made to get away from the christian idiots in europe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, not the best with compliments. I think it comes from years of being taught that I was better than everyone and God was going to kill everyone that didn't believe my way.
I'm going to do some more research on the Mormon/ JW connection. Their beliefs are just to close to not be linked together somehow. So far it seems Rutherford might be the copy cat and I'm cool with that. My beef is with those idiots anyway.
Do you guys not do Christmas or is that just a JW thing?
Yes we celebrate Christmas, and birthdays (I know JW don't). We do celebrate on Dec 25, but we believe Him to be born on April 6.

Makes sense since Joseph was returning to pay his taxes. Taxes were in April then too as far as Biblical scholars say.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I only accept truth claims based on evidence and reason. I have no interest in faith.
I'm sorry you don't have interest in faith. Millions of others do.

I don't think evidence undermines faith. I haven't seen evidence to debunk my faith. I chose this faith because of the 200 and something religions I studied, this is the one in which I felt the Spirit of God.

And how can you say "in fact" what those witnesses saw? And if I were to sign my name saying that God bears witness of it, I would not be prone to lie. These men weren't atheists, they were God fearing.

Also, the first 3 witnesses were not family of Joseph, nor were they acquaintances until Joseph started talking about his experiences. The second proclamation of witnesses (of the 8) included 3 family members. The other 5 were strangers until the work of translation began. But again, I said it's easy to dispute the integrity of these men, now that they are all dead and we can't interrogate them.

What magical powers are you talking about?

The angel Moroni took them back so Joseph would not be stalked the rest of his life. Too many people had already tried to kill him to acquire the gold. Moroni was the same that buried them in ancient times, and appeared to Joseph to show him where they were buried.

Just for reference:
Testimony of Three Witnesses
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

Testimony of Eight Witnesses
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

Christian Whitmer

Jacob Whitmer

Peter Whitmer, Jun.

John Whitmer

Hiram Page

Joseph Smith, Sen.

Hyrum Smith

Samuel H. Smith

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is correct about religion, that it is based on faith and not proof. Some read the bible and have faith not fully understanding anything or really caring except to be a good person and practicing what they think the bible requires of them. A hope of seeing their loves ones after they have died or just doing it because of the fear of eternal torment by God.
Christians in African countries have faith in God and still burn humans alive for what they think are those practicing witchcraft. Is that pleasing to God because of doing so, somehow I feel that would be wrong if I was a God. Yet their faith will somehow give them a pass to heaven they believe. It makes one wonder how this could be?
I agree that some read and have faith not fully understanding. I would say not all though :-) I understand quite a bit and am a logical thinker. It is possible to be faithful and logical.

I would say the example that you mention in Africa (I am not familiar with) sounds like the missionaries that reached out to them did not explain to them fully what it means to be a Christian. Seeing that Christian means Christ-like, burning people for being "witches" is not very Christ-like. This goes for those that lived in Salem as well. A prime example of misusing the scriptures.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Christmas is for the kids anyway but there are a lot of things tied into Pagan roots if that sort of things bother you. It sure did bother the JWs and it was weird on your birthday, it was like you were doing something bad and you didn't talk about it.
I tried to point out that Job celebrated birthdays and compare it to owning a dog. The bible never has anything good to say about dogs even tho they are mentioned a lot. Does that mean we should hate dogs? Of course disagreeing with the JWs will end up you being considered "spiritually weak" and will land you in the library getting a stern talking to.
How strict are you guys on shunning? The JWs call it dissfellowshipping, and do you disown your children like the JWs do?
Will 2014 be a big event for Jehovah's Witnesses? That would be 100 years since 1914. How many of the 144,000 are still alive today or is it a closely guarded secret? Once the last of the 144,000 have died off what are the Jehovah's Witnesses new plan to explain why Armageddon has not began?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>Christmas is for the kids anyway but there are a lot of things tied into Pagan roots if that sort of things bother you. It sure did bother the JWs and it was weird on your birthday, it was like you were doing something bad and you didn't talk about it.

I tried to point out that Job celebrated birthdays and compare it to owning a dog. The bible never has anything good to say about dogs even tho they are mentioned a lot. Does that mean we should hate dogs? Of course disagreeing with the JWs will end up you being considered "spiritually weak" and will land you in the library getting a stern talking to.

How strict are you guys on shunning? The JWs call it dissfellowshipping, and do you disown your children like the JWs do?
Never got a straight answer why JW do not celebrate birthdays. Any idea?

No we don't disown children. Though guilt may be a relevant issue admittedly. If a teenager has a kid out of wedlock they do feel embarrassed. Though the one girl I knew that went through that actually got a tremendous response by the adults and fellow teens. I was surprised how they jumped in and helped her manage her teen mom life rather than shunning her.

Out church does excommunicate for some reasons. Like practicing homosexuality or plural marriage for example.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
They use to keep count of the 144,000 and publish the numbers because they kept going down but then they started going up so they just said they no longer feel the need to keep track. When I was in, there were a couple in my congregation, both great guys but they were old as dirt, both have been dead for years. Brother Peirce was a funny little guy, I hated to hear he died.
They changed their "this generation" teaching to an over lapping generation crap that can still end at any second. You have to make people think the end is coming at any time to keep them in. There always has to be the element of fear in a religion to make it work well.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you about the fear.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>They use to keep count of the 144,000 and publish the numbers because they kept going down but then they started going up so they just said they no longer feel the need to keep track. When I was in, there were a couple in my congregation, both great guys but they were old as dirt, both have been dead for years. Brother Peirce was a funny little guy, I hated to hear he died.

They changed their "this generation" teaching to an over lapping generation crap that can still end at any second. You have to make people think the end is coming at any time to keep them in. There always has to be the element of fear in a religion to make it work well.
I disagree on the fear element. I'm not afraid of God. I worship Him because I'm grateful for what He has done for us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>John the Baptist lost his head at a birthday celebration, they claim they are only ordered to celebrate the memorial of Jesus death and the most important reason, they are to cheap to buy presents and they enjoy making their children feel like freaks at school.

Plural marriage as in polygamy? As far as gays go, would you have a problem with a gay couple if you weren't told to?
Yes polygamy.
Can you reword your question? If I weren't told to what?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Most that have a religious belief claim it's not out of fear but deep down most will agree there's some type of motivating force. The JW youth have a large percentage of suicides and I think part of that might be that when they get kicked out and we are taught that there is no hell then death is just game over. I wonder some times that if they had the fear of eternal torment if they wouldn't stop and rethink things before they pull the trigger. Maybe the fear of hell could be a good thing sometimes. The rest of us just get strung out for a while and grow up but some take what they think is the easy way out. Siht happens.
As far as my gay question goes, why do you think it is wrong for someone to be gay?
I don't think it is natural. I just don't think we were designed to have sexual relations with the same gender. It is pretty obvious to me that our differing body parts were divinely designed for procreation. Of course I am grateful that it brings pleasure, but I believe that is the main temptation to abuse the procreational powers that were given to us.

In all, I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, but as far as homosexuals go, if they want a civil union, I'm ok with that. Give them the same rights and political/financial benefits as married heteros. I'm ok with that. I just believe marriage should be a different institution.
Johnny Come Lately

Belfry, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

GARY wrote:
Dear God-
Why did you not intervene during the Columbine High School Massacre?
Signed-Student
Dear Student-
I am not allowed in public schools.
Signed-GOD
Sad to know your God is so weak.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min DITCH MITCH 147,204
Our guys.... not the best guy 12 min gator 10
GRUBB TRUCKING NEW Post 20 min Mitch 7
Please Ladies answer this question for me 1 hr Justgottaknow863 6
1 Blessing From God 3 hr Stephen Levi 21
Is James Brown single? (Apr '13) 4 hr snooger 11
Tommy that use to work at oasis pizza 5 hr Bret 5
john sowders 6 hr stephanie 7
Who will barbourvilles NEW police chief 8 hr Huh 18
New club in Barbourville? 19 hr my real name 12
•••
•••
•••