Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
92,801 - 92,820 of 130,286 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
GWB

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
MadJW is the left wing of that crazy cult. He likes to say what all the JWs still in would like to but are not allowed.
If you're looking for a religion then check it out. It's been my experience that some people feel like they have to believe, that believing makes them who they are.
The one good thing I learned from being a JW is they taught me to hate false religion. All I had to do is learn that they were the same thing they bitched about and poof, a FN Atheist was born.
I gave talks at the Circuit Assembly, was an Aux. Pioneer and went as far as one could go at my age. Anything you would like to know I will give my honest opinion on.
I'm not looking for a religion to join. I'm just fascinated by the discussions and to hear other view points in the debate. I find it interesting. Like you, I consider myself an atheist as well. Most of my family members are religious of mix christian religions, some inlaws are Mormon, some JW's others Catholic or protestant religion. I may ask you more questions, thanks.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that!
If you really know your Bible you would know the scriptures I speak of. If Jesus said it will happen, shouldn't you believe Him and be looking for its fulfillment?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>He was talking to the Jewish people, the other sheep he was talking about, I think was us gentiles!
There is a falling away happening right now!
I'll stick with the NT!
You might want to search for convered Mormons online, and
see what they say about their salvation!
I've heard a few, and knew a Catholic that converted,
Their stories are quite authentic!
Then where are the records from the Gentiles of His visit?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
http://www.orange-papers.org/T he_Mathematics_of_Alcoholics_A nonymous_-_Part_2.pdf
This explains it, Chromium.
Thanks, it was far more informative and substantial than the studies I'd found - yet it is still chock full of data gaps. It seems that great store is placed on life-long involvement in the organization to create an assumption of length of sobriety. Does the organization assume that alcoholics who are no longer attending regularly are "relapsed?" (Seems just a bit cultish, don't you think?) There are many aspects surrounding the issue which might warrant debate,- what length of time "sober" indicates "success" and how is that tracked? How is "sober" defined? Is complete abstinence the only definition of success, or is harm reduction also applicable? How and where is the government sinking money into 12 step programs and can court ordered individuals be regarded as voluntary attendees? With these and a dozen other unknowns, I can't claim to be versed enough with AA or other treatment systems to speculate on the efficacy of voluntary vs. controlled or religious vs. secular treatment systems - or where AA falls between them.
Ah well, a conversation for another time, another thread.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I already addressed that, read the entire post.
Secondly, any organization that tells people they are less capable of doing it on their own, is a scam just by that one statement.
Wasn't intending offense, but I still disagree with some of your post - and this one. In an overwhelming number of endeavors, people are far more successful in teams than as individuals. A mud hut might be a monumental achievement for a man, but it's not a city.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
God saves those who pray to him to help them from using drugs. No one escapes drugs without praying. It's good that you believe in God
This is not true. A casual Google search turns up tons of results for "secular rahab". And speaking from anecdote, I know of at least one individual who is an atheist and a recovering alcoholic.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/non/a/secular....

http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/resourc...

http://www.altamirarecovery.com/drug-rehab/se...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_Organiza...

http://www.inspiremalibu.com/non-religious-re...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, it was far more informative and substantial than the studies I'd found - yet it is still chock full of data gaps. It seems that great store is placed on life-long involvement in the organization to create an assumption of length of sobriety. Does the organization assume that alcoholics who are no longer attending regularly are "relapsed?" (Seems just a bit cultish, don't you think?) There are many aspects surrounding the issue which might warrant debate,- what length of time "sober" indicates "success" and how is that tracked? How is "sober" defined? Is complete abstinence the only definition of success, or is harm reduction also applicable? How and where is the government sinking money into 12 step programs and can court ordered individuals be regarded as voluntary attendees? With these and a dozen other unknowns, I can't claim to be versed enough with AA or other treatment systems to speculate on the efficacy of voluntary vs. controlled or religious vs. secular treatment systems - or where AA falls between them.
I'll drink to that.....
Pat

Mount Vernon, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

...why the gospels fail as proof of a god, or gods.

------->

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider again, the AA and 12-step program are constantly telling the people who are addicts that they are helpless, that they can't do anything. But the only proven method for cessation is the desire to stop. The program in question is a total scam, they make money from tax dollars and try to push them to go to a meeting every single day, which the repetition is exactly what indoctrination is. It's designed just like a religion, to scam money off people.

Thankfully the government is actually allowing some alternative groups, empowering ones that don't actually cost as much either. As I have started saying, the government is starting to use it's head instead of it's mythology to address the few problems left in the modern world.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't intending offense, but I still disagree with some of your post - and this one. In an overwhelming number of endeavors, people are far more successful in teams than as individuals. A mud hut might be a monumental achievement for a man, but it's not a city.
But when the person is told that the mud hut they built is not because of their hard work, it's no longer their mud hut, and they no longer care if it stands long.
Pat

Mount Vernon, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

...^^^ start that video @ 5:00 for the quick point.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Then where are the records from the Gentiles of His visit?
With all due respect, you adhere to the Book of Mormon and you ask a question that sounds to me like a call for evidence? I would suggest asking about your own evidence first.

Not that I agree with the other poster either. It's like arguing over which house Santa Clause visited and which he did not.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Here is proof that America's christians do not view the bible as the word of god
Our culture is different than the culture of biblical times so christians (claim they) no longer sell their daughters even though god said they should
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.(Exodus 21:7-11 NLT
ALSO the christian cult now claims to be against slavery because we live in modern times ignoring the words of their christ
The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
IF MODERN TIMES OR DIFFERENT CULTURE ALLOW MEN TO DECIDE WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF IT IS DIFFERENT THAN GODS WORD THAN THEY KNOW GODS WORD WAS WRITTEN BY MAN
Pat

Mount Vernon, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

GWB

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
Here is proof that America's christians do not view the bible as the word of god
Our culture is different than the culture of biblical times so christians (claim they) no longer sell their daughters even though god said they should
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.(Exodus 21:7-11 NLT
ALSO the christian cult now claims to be against slavery because we live in modern times ignoring the words of their christ
The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
IF MODERN TIMES OR DIFFERENT CULTURE ALLOW MEN TO DECIDE WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF IT IS DIFFERENT THAN GODS WORD THAN THEY KNOW GODS WORD WAS WRITTEN BY MAN
This what CPAC, FOX NEWS AND GOP religious extreme right wingers would like to see.

A general outline of what the reconstructed 'Kingdom,' or confederation of Biblical theocracies, would look like emerges from the large body of Reconstructionist literature.

This society would feature a minimal national government, whose main function would be defense by the armed forces. No social services would be provided outside the church, which would be responsible for 'health, education, and welfare.'

A radically unfettered capitalism (except in so far as it clashed with Biblical Law) would prevail. Society would return to the gold or silver standard or abolish paper money altogether. The public schools would be abolished. Government functions, including taxes, would be primarily at the county level.

Women would be relegated primarily to the home and home schools, and would be banned from government. Those qualified to vote or hold office would be limited to males from Biblically correct churches.

http://www.theocracywatch.org/dominionism.htm

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider again, the AA and 12-step program are constantly telling the people who are addicts that they are helpless, that they can't do anything. But the only proven method for cessation is the desire to stop. The program in question is a total scam, they make money from tax dollars and try to push them to go to a meeting every single day, which the repetition is exactly what indoctrination is. It's designed just like a religion, to scam money off people.
Thankfully the government is actually allowing some alternative groups, empowering ones that don't actually cost as much either. As I have started saying, the government is starting to use it's head instead of it's mythology to address the few problems left in the modern world.
I don't know much about AA, but I know a little. I think you might be doin' a little ax grinding for some reason?
By their own rules, they can't make money from tax dollars - they refuse any money from outside of the membership.
I have a slightly different take on the repetition. Habits by definition are repetitive. Repetition is a requirement to interrupt those behaviors, and support systems are encouraged in many, many other kinds of therapies. I'm going to guess that you're toting some kind of baggage over these 12 step things...

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
This what CPAC, FOX NEWS AND GOP religious extreme right wingers would like to see.
A general outline of what the reconstructed 'Kingdom,' or confederation of Biblical theocracies, would look like emerges from the large body of Reconstructionist literature.
This society would feature a minimal national government, whose main function would be defense by the armed forces. No social services would be provided outside the church, which would be responsible for 'health, education, and welfare.'
A radically unfettered capitalism (except in so far as it clashed with Biblical Law) would prevail. Society would return to the gold or silver standard or abolish paper money altogether. The public schools would be abolished. Government functions, including taxes, would be primarily at the county level.
Women would be relegated primarily to the home and home schools, and would be banned from government. Those qualified to vote or hold office would be limited to males from Biblically correct churches.
http://www.theocracywatch.org/dominionism.htm
The republicans, and their masters, want to turn 98% of the people in to peasants with no rights and desperate enough to slave 12 hours a day for a piece of bread. They would be the nobility and the only people with rights.
When this is how it was they raped women and if the husband said anything they killed him.(that is what christians want)

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I used to consume alcohol and use drugs. I stopped because Satan does not approve of destroying the mind. I did not pray because prayer has never done anything (except keep some one from taking action that would do something)
I have just proved you wrong again!
If you believe in your god why do you ignore his words to you?
I thought you said Satan wasn't real

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>With all due respect, you adhere to the Book of Mormon and you ask a question that sounds to me like a call for evidence? I would suggest asking about your own evidence first.

Not that I agree with the other poster either. It's like arguing over which house Santa Clause visited and which he did not.
No, I'm trying to cause him to think. If Jesus visited other people as the scriptures say. Why couldn't the Book of Mormon be a record from one of those groups of people?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Reality 150,022
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 22 min Hatti_Hollerand 3,471
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr Yoda-byte-me 1,031
KJB marriage straight from the bible!! Marriage... 3 hr You lose 4
Stivers center swin coach abandons children in ... (Mar '12) 5 hr aaa 61
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 9 hr Republicans Are S... 26,229
Need tile backsplash 10 hr Observer 1

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••