Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,617

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#97095 Mar 24, 2013

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#97096 Mar 24, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
God saves those who pray to him to help them from using drugs. No one escapes drugs without praying. It's good that you believe in God
Then why does AA/NA only have a 5% success rate?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#97097 Mar 24, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
God saves those who pray to him to help them from using drugs. No one escapes drugs without praying. It's good that you believe in God
You cannot provide ANY documentation or verification for that claim.
Mind your 9th commandment.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#97098 Mar 24, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe so...
BUT we were not 17 TRILLION in debt!
We were not in a sequester of Obama's making!
We did not release 2,000 dangerous Illegals on our streets!
We did not close the white house tours!
We did not blame a video for the needles deaths of 4 Americans
on the anniversary of 9/11 by terrorists!
We did not have a Muslim kill people at an army ft, and call it work place violence!
etc...
We did however had less people on food stamps!
We did have $2.00 a gal gas!
We did have less stupid people in gov offices!
ect... the List goes on!
The "sequester" was written in to the law by the republicans, the economic issues where caused by Bush, and the huge deficit was caused by us having to pay for Bushes wars.
You talk about muslums killing, how about the christian murders? When a christian blows up a womens clinic and kills the Doctors, employees and clients you cheer.(ALL of the Abrhamic cults are evil blood lusting and violent)
Muslums worship the same god as christians and jews you are all devil worshipers!

“There is no god”

War, WV

#97099 Mar 24, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to consume alcohol and use drugs. I stopped because Satan does not approve of destroying the mind. I did not pray because prayer has never done anything (except keep some one from taking action that would do something)
I have just proved you wrong again!
If you believe in your god why do you ignore his words to you?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97100 Mar 24, 2013
Leaving the Light On wrote:
http://www.itbn.org/index/deta il/lib/Networks/sublib/TBN/ec/ pwcXJlYToUrPO-xbaV3onPElZo8w1Y Ra
Are you posting this as a pro or a con to something?
It's hard to tell when the subject is how absolutely and unfathomably gullible and mindless religies are.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97101 Mar 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why does AA/NA only have a 5% success rate?
12 step programs are notoriously difficult to sample. What study says 5%?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#97102 Mar 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
12 step programs are notoriously difficult to sample. What study says 5%?
It was the only study that AA ever released to the public. They are not difficult to sample, it's just that the government wastes a fortune on them and so the 12-step program won't release their numbers, and the government is trying to avoid an embarrassment, so of course they won't push it, otherwise they'd have to also stop the "war" on drugs.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#97104 Mar 24, 2013

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97105 Mar 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the only study that AA ever released to the public. They are not difficult to sample, it's just that the government wastes a fortune on them and so the 12-step program won't release their numbers, and the government is trying to avoid an embarrassment, so of course they won't push it, otherwise they'd have to also stop the "war" on drugs.
Sigh. I hate it when I have to tell atheists to mind the 9th commandment.

http://www.thefix.com/content/the-real-statis...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#97106 Mar 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh. I hate it when I have to tell atheists to mind the 9th commandment.
http://www.thefix.com/content/the-real-statis...
Actually, I already addressed that, read the entire post.

Secondly, any organization that tells people they are less capable of doing it on their own, is a scam just by that one statement.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#97107 Mar 24, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
MadJW is the left wing of that crazy cult. He likes to say what all the JWs still in would like to but are not allowed.
If you're looking for a religion then check it out. It's been my experience that some people feel like they have to believe, that believing makes them who they are.
The one good thing I learned from being a JW is they taught me to hate false religion. All I had to do is learn that they were the same thing they bitched about and poof, a FN Atheist was born.
I gave talks at the Circuit Assembly, was an Aux. Pioneer and went as far as one could go at my age. Anything you would like to know I will give my honest opinion on.
I'm not looking for a religion to join. I'm just fascinated by the discussions and to hear other view points in the debate. I find it interesting. Like you, I consider myself an atheist as well. Most of my family members are religious of mix christian religions, some inlaws are Mormon, some JW's others Catholic or protestant religion. I may ask you more questions, thanks.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#97108 Mar 24, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that!
If you really know your Bible you would know the scriptures I speak of. If Jesus said it will happen, shouldn't you believe Him and be looking for its fulfillment?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#97109 Mar 24, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>He was talking to the Jewish people, the other sheep he was talking about, I think was us gentiles!
There is a falling away happening right now!
I'll stick with the NT!
You might want to search for convered Mormons online, and
see what they say about their salvation!
I've heard a few, and knew a Catholic that converted,
Their stories are quite authentic!
Then where are the records from the Gentiles of His visit?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97110 Mar 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
http://www.orange-papers.org/T he_Mathematics_of_Alcoholics_A nonymous_-_Part_2.pdf
This explains it, Chromium.
Thanks, it was far more informative and substantial than the studies I'd found - yet it is still chock full of data gaps. It seems that great store is placed on life-long involvement in the organization to create an assumption of length of sobriety. Does the organization assume that alcoholics who are no longer attending regularly are "relapsed?" (Seems just a bit cultish, don't you think?) There are many aspects surrounding the issue which might warrant debate,- what length of time "sober" indicates "success" and how is that tracked? How is "sober" defined? Is complete abstinence the only definition of success, or is harm reduction also applicable? How and where is the government sinking money into 12 step programs and can court ordered individuals be regarded as voluntary attendees? With these and a dozen other unknowns, I can't claim to be versed enough with AA or other treatment systems to speculate on the efficacy of voluntary vs. controlled or religious vs. secular treatment systems - or where AA falls between them.
Ah well, a conversation for another time, another thread.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#97111 Mar 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I already addressed that, read the entire post.
Secondly, any organization that tells people they are less capable of doing it on their own, is a scam just by that one statement.
Wasn't intending offense, but I still disagree with some of your post - and this one. In an overwhelming number of endeavors, people are far more successful in teams than as individuals. A mud hut might be a monumental achievement for a man, but it's not a city.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#97112 Mar 24, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not true. A casual Google search turns up tons of results for "secular rahab". And speaking from anecdote, I know of at least one individual who is an atheist and a recovering alcoholic.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/non/a/secular....

http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/resourc...

http://www.altamirarecovery.com/drug-rehab/se...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_Organiza...

http://www.inspiremalibu.com/non-religious-re...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

East Bernstadt, KY

#97113 Mar 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, it was far more informative and substantial than the studies I'd found - yet it is still chock full of data gaps. It seems that great store is placed on life-long involvement in the organization to create an assumption of length of sobriety. Does the organization assume that alcoholics who are no longer attending regularly are "relapsed?" (Seems just a bit cultish, don't you think?) There are many aspects surrounding the issue which might warrant debate,- what length of time "sober" indicates "success" and how is that tracked? How is "sober" defined? Is complete abstinence the only definition of success, or is harm reduction also applicable? How and where is the government sinking money into 12 step programs and can court ordered individuals be regarded as voluntary attendees? With these and a dozen other unknowns, I can't claim to be versed enough with AA or other treatment systems to speculate on the efficacy of voluntary vs. controlled or religious vs. secular treatment systems - or where AA falls between them.
I'll drink to that.....
Pat

Mount Vernon, KY

#97114 Mar 24, 2013
...why the gospels fail as proof of a god, or gods.

------->

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#97115 Mar 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider again, the AA and 12-step program are constantly telling the people who are addicts that they are helpless, that they can't do anything. But the only proven method for cessation is the desire to stop. The program in question is a total scam, they make money from tax dollars and try to push them to go to a meeting every single day, which the repetition is exactly what indoctrination is. It's designed just like a religion, to scam money off people.

Thankfully the government is actually allowing some alternative groups, empowering ones that don't actually cost as much either. As I have started saying, the government is starting to use it's head instead of it's mythology to address the few problems left in the modern world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HAppy Thanksgiving Everyone! 1 hr gator 2
fire station or not 3 hr lolol 2
how can a murderer walk the streets!!!! 8 hr john 16
Phillip Vaughn (Oct '10) 13 hr Loving 9
Separate 13 hr Loving 3
OMG!!! Ben Mason in jail (May '13) 15 hr curious 6
moma screwer 18 hr gator 9
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Nov 24 beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:22 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:22PM
Bengals turning into kings of the road - NBC Sports