Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,628)

Showing posts 92,541 - 92,560 of127,992
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several reasons that convences us that we do indeed have the truth! One is we base everything we teach on God's word the Bible. John 8:31,32 17:3 17:17 and 1John 5:19
ARE YOU A GENUINE CHRISTIAN?
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
2. How do you define Christian love?—1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org
Still SPAMMING.

I'd say that you have a one track mind, but it's clear that a train derailed on it years ago.
Have you ever read "Crisis of Conscience," KAB?
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Which One? There's a bunch.... http://www.allbibles.com/bibleversions.asp
I'm looking to get the Geneva Bible...
Pre KJV, and came over with our founding fathers!
I can read it online, but nothing like holding a
GOOD Book!

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I am thoroughly convienced (not by blind faith) that the Bible is indeed the word of God. One is it's eternal harmony.
There are several other reasons that convences me that we(Jehovhh's Witnesses) do indeed have the truth! One is we (me included) base everything we teach on God's word the Bible. John 8:31,32 17:3 17:17 and 1John 5:19
Is that better?
No, not better.
The Bible is the word of the catholic councils. The NWT is the word of Fredrick Franz. The Watchtower is the word of your Governing Board.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>
he could have just forgive us instead of having to murder something....just goes to show his true nature....evil.
Bingo! There you have it.
If "God" is a "god" then he can do anything.
But he choses to kill instead of forgiving.

Undeniably showing "his" very human origins.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Martin just stated that the Catholic Church was wrong and that he knew what should be better. He didn't claim to restore the church to Jesus' standard. Similar to how Roger Williams and John Wesley began their churches. Both had made the comment that they knew the actual church of Christ was no longer existent but they wanted to try to get as close as possible.(Roger founded the Baptist church in America, John founded he Methodist and eventually the Wesleyan church). Roger even said that unless angels from Heaven come down to restore it, it would not be back on earth.
Interestingly, we believe that an angel visited Joseph to guide him to the record. We also believe that the priesthood power was restored by the resurrected apostles of Jesus Christ: Peter, James, and John. They came and laid their hands on Joseph's head to do so. This is a restoration. The others could be called a reformation because there was no intervention from Heavenly visitors.
I'm not near a computer. I'll get back to you on evidence that I have run across on apologetic websites.
"they knew the actual church of Christ was no longer existent"
Really???
What were Christ's words on this subject?
Do you think He lied?
NO!
In the verses I quoted you earlier...
It's the simplicity of the Gospel...
So even "They" could receive it... IF they wanted!
No extra books, magic plates, or whatever... Just Christ!
Amen!
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>That your evil cult is losing members so it is a joke?
Nothing but mindless sheep and with more people being able to read the less sheep you have.
What makes you think that you are above hundreds of millions of Americans?
"with more people being able to read the less sheep you have"...
Wrong!
I read just fine...
I see the Truth in the Gospel of Christ in the Holy Bible!
Even when it speaks of people like you...
It speaks the Truth!
Thanks again for proving the Bible with your inane posts!
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
Psalm 137:9
King James Version (KJV)
9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.
That is evil!
You might want to read the rest of it...
you are just like NBC, and the liberal media...
Talking about cherry picking!
Thanks again!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>(1) No! we do not "NOT" want you
to go to punishment!
(2) Whether it be Hell, or just outer darkness...
You will suffer knowing you had a chance, and blew it!
Imagine spending an eternity... knowing we were right!
We are! We're telling you... Seek God with all your heart!
You WILL be glad you did!
You still haven't answered my question. How could a god who is supposedly loving be more cruel than man?
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
I've been redeemed. I've been set free. I would never go back to who I used to be. Praise God! I've been set free. To know a love such as this.
Amen!
Great post!
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>YAA, it is great that your illusions make you so happy. But you should keep your fantasies to yourself.
And stop smoking meth
Thanks again!

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Tisk tisk...
See, you don't even have the Golden rule right!
"Do unto others, as you'd have them do to you!"
I will explain the differences.
"Do unto others as they have done unto you."
That is Revengeful... Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord!
Say yer on the 405, and the guy behind you accidently bumps
yer car... you get mad, and put it in reverse, and bump him
back! This happens a few times, and you both get out of your
cars, guns drawn, and blazzing...
A wild shot kills a child you say you want to protect...
All because... You did what was done to you...
instead of "FORGIVING" as you should have!
Doing as you'd want someone to do to you...
If yer hungry, need gas for yer car ti get to a
Dr's appointment, or a job interview...
Go find a good church, and you will receive Grace,
and what you are in need of... Not vengeance!
Yer right about the "Golden Rule," YaA - except you know full well that Christians pick and choose when to use the Exodus "eye for an eye" or the Matthew "eye for an eye" - it all boils down to who and what the offender is.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>.
Because Jesus said in the New Testament, "If you love Me, you will keep my Father's Commandments, but the Greatest of ALL commands IS LOVE." Not being under the Old Law means no more "Blood Sacrificing." JESUS was the LAST & ULTIMATE BLOOD SACRIFICE!
Amen!
Great post!
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not better.
The Bible is the word of the catholic councils. The NWT is the word of Fredrick Franz. The Watchtower is the word of your Governing Board.
The Governing Board blame Fredrick Franz brother Raymond for the failed 1975 prophesy about armageddon.

The 15 May 1980 issue of The Watchtower issued a statement of regret that its assertions of probability of Armageddon arriving before 1975 had "apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of expectation already initiated."[14] It told disappointed Jehovah's Witnesses, "including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centred on that date" to "concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint".[15] This statement, which placed blame for the disappointment about 1975 on Raymond Franz and his writing committee, precipitated a purge of that committee and eventual disfellowshipping of its sometime Chairman.[16] On May 8 1980 Franz was told that he had been implicated as an apostate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Franz

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
"they knew the actual church of Christ was no longer existent"
Really???
What were Christ's words on this subject?
Do you think He lied?
NO!
In the verses I quoted you earlier...
It's the simplicity of the Gospel...
So even "They" could receive it... IF they wanted!
No extra books, magic plates, or whatever... Just Christ!
Amen!
Jesus never wrote anything - or if he did, "God" saw fit to destroy every trace of reference or evidence.

Simplicity.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
The Governing Board blame Fredrick Franz brother Raymond for the failed 1975 prophesy about armageddon.
The 15 May 1980 issue of The Watchtower issued a statement of regret that its assertions of probability of Armageddon arriving before 1975 had "apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of expectation already initiated."[14] It told disappointed Jehovah's Witnesses, "including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centred on that date" to "concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint".[15] This statement, which placed blame for the disappointment about 1975 on Raymond Franz and his writing committee, precipitated a purge of that committee and eventual disfellowshipping of its sometime Chairman.[16] On May 8 1980 Franz was told that he had been implicated as an apostate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Franz
Nephew, not brother.
Kay

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Mohandas Ghandi wrote:
Which bible? There are several hundred different religions and interpretations of those religions.
You can bet your sweet ass it WON'T BE THE KORAN!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I am thoroughly convienced (not by blind faith) that the Bible is indeed the word of God. One is it's eternal harmony.
There are several other reasons that convences me that we(Jehovhh's Witnesses) do indeed have the truth! One is we (me included) base everything we teach on God's word the Bible. John 8:31,32 17:3 17:17 and 1John 5:19
Is that better?
LOL! No it is not. Adding a pointless preamble to what you said before and then repeating what you said before does nothing. I'm curious about this too. Why are you so convinced (note the spelling by the way) that what you believe is the truth? I believe this is the part where you're supposed to start reciting fulfilled prophecies isn't it? You're not following your script.

All fundies are arrogant in my opinion, but JWs have the most hubris. You believe you have logic and data on your side, but when push comes to shove you will deflect and avoid like the rest of your ilk.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yer right about the "Golden Rule," YaA - except you know full well that Christians pick and choose when to use the Exodus "eye for an eye" or the Matthew "eye for an eye" - it all boils down to who and what the offender is.
No doubt. When are they supposed to use "eye for an eye" and when are they supposed to "turn the other cheek"?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>You might want to read the rest of it...
you are just like NBC, and the liberal media...
Talking about cherry picking!
Thanks again!
The rest of it? God smote kingdoms and gave the lands to the Jews, then the Jews got "smote" and it was all the children of Edom's fault? Yer double standards are showing.

You are just like FOX news - defending your right to cherry pick AND LIE by virtue of the first amendment.
Yer double standards are showing - AGAIN.
A Day

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Perhaps teaching the Bible as literature should be allowed in schools. One would have to have at least some knowledge of it to understand the vast majority of western literature, and philosophy. Some may say that's an unacceptable risk in even allowing the Bible in public schools. I however will disagree, not only in light of the former but, because one sure way to turn someone away from Christianity is to let them learn more of the Bible. The Bible however vitriolic someone may view it is ingrained in our culture, and rather than running from it we should face it understand it as a fiction, and leave religion in the annals of our past.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 92,541 - 92,560 of127,992
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

93 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Fight 1 min Brothers Market 1
KC Basketball Coach 4 min Great 65
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min DemocRATS 144,920
Becky and Richard hicks 10 min Lol 4
which drug dealer in kj needs to be busted?? (Sep '08) 1 hr still going on 26
new restaurant at union plaza kentucky biscuit ... 1 hr Johnnie 9
What happened at the dollor store in flat lick ... 1 hr was there 1
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 3 hr Butt head 383
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••