Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
92,461 - 92,480 of 129,040 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96753
Mar 21, 2013
 
Psalm 137:9

King James Version (KJV)


9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

That is evil!
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96754
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain.
Who was he quoting that too-his Caligoldrushofornia gambling/drinking buddy?
:-)
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96755
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see it's a sensitive issue for you. You might want to think about why it upsets you so much, you know... for your health.
But I digress. I'm not talking "just" about current events, although I don't think it's a stretch to say we wouldn't have invaded Afghanistan or even Iraq if 911 hadn't happened (and 911 happened because?).
From the Crusades to the Inquisition to the Holocaust to Bosnia the "good" book has been used to justify countless atrocities.
To be fair, I lump all of the magic books of the Abrahamic religions together into one pile of blood-lusting, bigoted, superstitious crap and refer to it as the "bible". It's easier for me and I see no rational reason to differentiate between them.
Meh, it's cold out today.

Anyway, I don't think we'd've landed back in Iraq via Afghanistan either had 9/11 not occurred. If anyone thinks about it, if the absolute "reason" had been just to overthrow Saddam, we could've done so prior. That wasn't the case, but no matter how much anyone present s the logical facts, there will always be the blind to the truth crowds, just looking for something to hate about, even if unjustified. Idiocracy in it's element.
Countless atrocities you say--- of greed, power mongering, aquisitions and the like? That I could agree with. Bosnia, I might give one formidable nod of possible, as that was a direct cause of more actually "religiously based" uprising and terrorisms of intolerance.
I think that's why there's an OT, and then a NT. That stone age, dark age stuff of the OT, just hasn't worked out too well for a few thou years now.

Majic? Puhlease.
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96756
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I've been redeemed. I've been set free. I would never go back to who I used to be. Praise God! I've been set free. To know a love such as this.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96757
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

happy wrote:
I've been redeemed. I've been set free. I would never go back to who I used to be. Praise God! I've been set free. To know a love such as this.
YAA, it is great that your illusions make you so happy. But you should keep your fantasies to yourself.
And stop smoking meth

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96758
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I think people should realize it is a book written by mostly men inspired to do so, and read it logically as such. I think it does have redemptive "teaching" qualities to learn from in living decently, peaceably and harmoniously (even if by speaking of the trials, tribulations and pitfalls humanity has endured at the hands of it's OWN creations) wich for those who chose to read that from it. It's quite obvious then, that history shows that the human race is anything but perfect-FAR far from it, no matter how much some would like to think otherwise. It certainly has it's share of characters within, of those who anyone would NOT ever wish to have to exist around as well!
I still do not see any reason to froth at the mouth in hatred over it though.
It's a BOOK, not a fanged serpent dripping some sort of poisonous venom.
I have two questions.

First, what do you mean by "inspired"? If you mean the stories were written from inspirations, then that's true of any story. If you mean God inspired them to write it then you are getting back to the problem I pointed out. You are setting up a divine authority. And there is some bloodthirsty stuff in that book that by all logic MUST have come from the same divine source.

Otherwise, you are saying that some parts were from God and some were not. Which is which? Who has the authority to make that distinction? Who knows the mind of this God?

Second, do you think it is wise to deliver this book to people who already believe in witchcraft and magic so they can have one more authoritative magic book to use to hurt people? They do this in Africa. We take them Bibles, they kill witches and point to the Bible as a source of authority to do so.

Instead, why not teach them some friggin' critical thinking skills? Teach some literature from various sources. Fund schools and make sure those schools have high academic standards. That is how you cure poverty. Giving someone a Bible and praying for them does not do anything at all.

Nobody is angry at the book. But some of us are angry at the a**holes who use it to hurt people.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96759
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several reasons that convences us that we do indeed have the truth! One is we base everything we teach on God's word the Bible. John 8:31,32 17:3 17:17 and 1John 5:19
No, no, no. I'm asking *you*, not the Watchtower.

How do *you* know? If it is just a feeling or faith, then you have no more insight than any other religious person.

Do you realize that every single Christian church claims that they also are on the right path?

Hell, Muslims are willing to kill and die for their God. If it is just a matter of how strong your faith is then they win all the way to the bank.

I'm trying to get at the reasons you believe you are in the right church, or that any church is right. That is the root of the problem. Reason.

Faith lacks it.

So what is your reason? Not the Watchtower's reason, your reason.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96760
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no. I'm asking *you*, not the Watchtower.
How do *you* know? If it is just a feeling or faith, then you have no more insight than any other religious person.
Do you realize that every single Christian church claims that they also are on the right path?
Hell, Muslims are willing to kill and die for their God. If it is just a matter of how strong your faith is then they win all the way to the bank.
I'm trying to get at the reasons you believe you are in the right church, or that any church is right. That is the root of the problem. Reason.
Faith lacks it.
So what is your reason? Not the Watchtower's reason, your reason.
I gave you my reason----is that not good enough?
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96761
Mar 21, 2013
 
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you feel this way, but, YOU were the one who said you hated Christians because of the way you were raised by your Christian parents. You agreed with me that JW's changed the original Bible, to write it to their beliefs. I'm not trying to ENFORCE you to believe the way I do, just SHARING my beliefs! My KJV version does tell me though, to take away or add to God's Word is wrong! My Bible tells me to NOT hurt the children. Thank you for your comment & for listening to mine!!
the bible also states that god wont allow the bible to be changed so that u cant get the true meaning, therefore the JW must be right if god is all powerful becuz they cahnged it like u said and god did absolutely nothing about it
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96762
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You know good and well that is not true! If evolution was a proven fact they would be so quick to state that and produce the evidevce so it could be called a proven FACT instead of a THEORY!
Here is your opportunity to produce the FACTS!
if u want the facts look up what Theory actually means in scientific terms. that would tell u why it is called a theory to start, kinda like the theory of relativity. science allows for things to change and the theory part is what the evidence points to. if new evidence comes along that can change it then the scientific community will change it. all evidence found points to evolution and no evidence is out there that supports the bible teachings therefore the best explanation to where did we come from is the theory of evolution and until something else comes along the theory is the collaboration of all the evidence out there will remain the theory of evolution. take some time to read about evolution and u will find out what it means. i doubt u understand the theory completely, and if im wrong i apologize,becuz most religious ppl just say i didnt come from no monkey and thats why they disregard evolution but the way evolution works is that we didnt come from a monkey....us and monkeys both came from a common ancestor and we became us and monkeys became monkeys. an example of this is lions, tiger, panther, or any other big cat and the common house cat. they both come from the same common ancestor and i would go as far to guess that u would agree that tigers and kittens are both cats. so why is it so hard for ppl to accept the fact that monkeys and us are closely related just as tigers and kittens are? im gussing the arrogance og man is why some choose to believe that we are so special compared to other animals when the truth is we are just a couple changes in dna away from bein a monkey or ape or gorilla just as a kitten is a couple changes away from being a tiger or lion.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96763
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right to say we aren't under the old law & that we are now under Grace. God does not hate the Sinner, but the Sin. Sin will always be sin, but through Faith by Grace & not Sacrificial Blood,(the Old Law) we are forgiven of our sins if we ask! Having said that, being gay is an abomination (sin) against God, but, if you ask god to forgive you of the sin, & TURN from the sin, then God IS just & forgiving & you can go to Heaven. Why is this my belief? I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE THE BIBLE! Not Pushing on you, just explaining MY beliefs & why. Thank you again for listening with respect!
if we are not under the old law then why do the christians get all mad when we want the 10 commandments taken down. since they came from the old testament we are not under that law anymore, right? so why are wanting to spread lies by displayin the commandments when in fact we dont have to follow them if u agree the old law is gone.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96764
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know the scriptures pretty well
It seems. So who hurt you? It had to be a person. People will always always let you down. Especially if you have them on a pedestal or it was someone you trusted maybe... GOD will/would never hurt you. He cares about your concerns. He would never never never leave you or forsake you. Satan HATES hates hates you. Even with you serving him.. He HATES YOU. He's using you ..
JESUS I ask for a hedge of protection around this person and that you would show him the light in whatever form you deem necessary to bring this child in I plead the BLOOD of Jesus all around him for protection and that they might come to know the true power of your LOVE in Jesus name .. That they would feel your HOLY presence. Thank You Father for saving me from the pits of hell. You are my rescuer. My salvation. In Jesus name i pray Amen
why is it that u think someone hurt someone and thats what brings them to atheism? usually the atheist knows more about the bible than the believers cause at one time they believed too. the problem is that they grew up and learned to read and they did in fact read the bible, thats why they know it so well. and when u read it all and see just how sickening most of it is and then compare it to what we do know as facts, the bible falls flat of its face. it has no evidence to support it. it does, however, have plenty of other god stories that came before it that are almost identical that the story of Jesus. knowin about the other deities and science will lead most reasoning ppl to believe it is made up. not everyone that dont believe is mad at god for some reason or they are not hurt from someone to make them think god is not real.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96765
Mar 21, 2013
 
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you my reason----is that not good enough?
You wrote the reply, or was it from the Watchtower? You linked to a JW site so I assumed you did not write it.

I'm not interested in reading what the JW church has to say. I was more interested in your personal opinion on how we know something is true.

But never mind. To each his own.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96766
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

what wrote:
<quoted text>
why is it that u think someone hurt someone and thats what brings them to atheism? usually the atheist knows more about the bible than the believers cause at one time they believed too. the problem is that they grew up and learned to read and they did in fact read the bible, thats why they know it so well. and when u read it all and see just how sickening most of it is and then compare it to what we do know as facts, the bible falls flat of its face. it has no evidence to support it. it does, however, have plenty of other god stories that came before it that are almost identical that the story of Jesus. knowin about the other deities and science will lead most reasoning ppl to believe it is made up. not everyone that dont believe is mad at god for some reason or they are not hurt from someone to make them think god is not real.
I realized that there is no god from reading the bible. If the god in the bible where to be a real god than I could never worship him because of all the evil hate blood lust murder rape sex slaves slaves......
If the god of the jewish people where real the best thing we could do would be to hunt him down and kill him
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96767
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I have two questions.
First, what do you mean by "inspired"? If you mean the stories were written from inspirations, then that's true of any story. If you mean God inspired them to write it then you are getting back to the problem I pointed out. You are setting up a divine authority. And there is some bloodthirsty stuff in that book that by all logic MUST have come from the same divine source.
Otherwise, you are saying that some parts were from God and some were not. Which is which? Who has the authority to make that distinction? Who knows the mind of this God?
Second, do you think it is wise to deliver this book to people who already believe in witchcraft and magic so they can have one more authoritative magic book to use to hurt people? They do this in Africa. We take them Bibles, they kill witches and point to the Bible as a source of authority to do so.
Instead, why not teach them some friggin' critical thinking skills? Teach some literature from various sources. Fund schools and make sure those schools have high academic standards. That is how you cure poverty. Giving someone a Bible and praying for them does not do anything at all.
Nobody is angry at the book. But some of us are angry at the a**holes who use it to hurt people.
You're preaching to the chiorrrrrrrrrrrr.

And I didn't "write" the book, I just read it.

There's lots of aholes in the world-with all kinds of different reasons-certainly NOT, just because of (any) specific book.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96768
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I have two questions.
First, what do you mean by "inspired"? If you mean the stories were written from inspirations, then that's true of any story. If you mean God inspired them to write it then you are getting back to the problem I pointed out. You are setting up a divine authority. And there is some bloodthirsty stuff in that book that by all logic MUST have come from the same divine source.
Otherwise, you are saying that some parts were from God and some were not. Which is which? Who has the authority to make that distinction? Who knows the mind of this God?
Second, do you think it is wise to deliver this book to people who already believe in witchcraft and magic so they can have one more authoritative magic book to use to hurt people? They do this in Africa. We take them Bibles, they kill witches and point to the Bible as a source of authority to do so.
Instead, why not teach them some friggin' critical thinking skills? Teach some literature from various sources. Fund schools and make sure those schools have high academic standards. That is how you cure poverty. Giving someone a Bible and praying for them does not do anything at all.
Nobody is angry at the book. But some of us are angry at the
a**holes who use it to hurt people.
Although in some areas of the world, books into the hands of people does cause great disdain amongst certain sectors. Especially literacy into the hands of females.
Places where OT stone age mentality, still flourishes.
Hard to believe such still exists in the 21st century.
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96770
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

what wrote:
<quoted text>
the bible also states that god wont allow the bible to be changed so that u cant get the true meaning, therefore the JW must be right if god is all powerful becuz they cahnged it like u said and god did absolutely nothing about it
What? Your comment,(to me) is nonsense. The Bible states it is wrong to add to or take away. God gave us all "Free Will". God will NOT make you do what is right, or wrong, He only tells us HIS WILL. We have the right to choose our will or God's. ALL will be judged on Judgement Day & everything we said or did while here on earth will be judged accordingly! This is my understanding & belief, but I also feel if you are going state the Bible, you should search First, then state it correctly!
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96771
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

what wrote:
<quoted text>
if we are not under the old law then why do the christians get all mad when we want the 10 commandments taken down. since they came from the old testament we are not under that law anymore, right? so why are wanting to spread lies by displayin the commandments when in fact we dont have to follow them if u agree the old law is gone.
.

Because Jesus said in the New Testament, "If you love Me, you will keep my Father's Commandments, but the Greatest of ALL commands IS LOVE." Not being under the Old Law means no more "Blood Sacrificing." JESUS was the LAST & ULTIMATE BLOOD SACRIFICE!
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96772
Mar 21, 2013
 
what wrote:
<quoted text>
if we are not under the old law then why do the christians get all mad when we want the 10 commandments taken down. since they came from the old testament we are not under that law anymore, right? so why are wanting to spread lies by displayin the commandments when in fact we dont have to follow them if u agree the old law is gone.
Very good point you made. Those that display the 10 commandments are rejecting Jesus because he fulfilled the law.

Only two commandments would be acceptable according to the New Testament otherwise Jesus sacrifice would have been in vain.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96774
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You wrote the reply, or was it from the Watchtower? You linked to a JW site so I assumed you did not write it.
I'm not interested in reading what the JW church has to say. I was more interested in your personal opinion on how we know something is true.
But never mind. To each his own.
Romans 1:20-22 20 For his (God's) invisible [qualities] are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable;
I have come to the same conclusion as the Apostle Paul.
Common sense will tell you anything left to it's own will deterioate instead of evolve.
Jehovah's Witnesses published a book "LIFE - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution Or By Creation?" You would do well to obtain a copy of that book (it is free) because it has been thoroughly researched on both sides of the issue. If after examining that book if you are not convienced that we were created then there is nothing I can say that will change your mind.
As you said to each his own.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

34 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Curmudgeon 147,246
Teresa Johnson and Rex 2 hr wondering 5
john sowders 2 hr Lay student 10
Please Ladies answer this question for me 2 hr LMAO 7
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 3 hr Gfm 81,565
Who will barbourvilles NEW police chief 3 hr Jack 22
Barbourville online and Windstream 4 hr yep 18
New club in Barbourville? Wed my real name 12
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••