Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,084

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Richard Dawkins

Hazard, KY

#96716 Mar 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you decide that JW has the truth? If you are making that decision then you are assuming you know the mind of God on some level. Don't you leave any room for doubt?
Do you at least concede that your faith might not be the right one? If not, on what grounds do you have this ultimate Godlike knowledge? And for that matter why are Muslims wrong if they also believe they have the truth? Or Jews or Catholics or Mormons, etc.
He/she believes JW is the truth more than likely because they were indoctrinated from a very young age to believe so.

There are exceptions, but more often than not a person's religious beliefs are based on their demographic, the culture they live in, their parents' religious beliefs, and the amount of indoctrination they received when children.

If I taught my children the Flying Spaghetti Monster was real from a very young age, basic principal tells me they would believe it. At least (& hopefully) until they came of a age where they can think critically and rationally for themselves.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96717 Mar 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses do not teach their children there is a Santa nor do we teach them there is an Easter Bunny. We teach our children the TRUTH found in God's Word the Bible.
The only day Jesus told us to honor was his death.-Luke 22:19.
As a mnatter of fact Jehovah's Witnesses will be commerating the Lord's evening meal (some call it the Lord's last supper)on Tuesday March 26th. It is open to the public and you are invited to attend it will began at sundown, ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses in your area for the exact time. There will be a lot of people there for the first time so you should not feel out of place.
Sincerely! Please do yourself a favor and attend then post on here what you thought of the meeting.
That's interesting, since both "Santa and the Easter Bunny" were AFTER the Bible of more pagan-like additions, nice for the customary traditional reasons, but easy for people to forget just what it is that both traditions are rooted in representatation of.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96718 Mar 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, like any book you can find something in it that echoes a thing you feel is true. I remember watching a silly movie with the kids and in it someone makes a statement that if a father is concerned that he's not being a good father then that means he's being a good father.
Even in a silly, forgetable movie you can find something that echoes a "true" thing.
But when you attach divine authority to the book in question you put a stamp of approval on *everything* it says. You give license to people to believe things that do not echo any sort of truths among humans.
The Bible promotes slavery. One of Paul's letters is explaining how to properly own slaves. Now, we know that slavery is morally wrong. It's right up there with rape and murder. No sane person questions this, though some dubious people still practice it.
Why didn't the Bible condemn slavery? Why didn't Paul write a letter explaining that owning a human being was a sin? People rationalize this by hand waving. "Oh, everyone owned slaves back then." "Oh people weren't ready to change yet." and other BS answers. But if God is the moral authority he could have easily told us not to own slaves. He told us in one line not to kill people. But no mention of not owning people.
So if you accept this book as a divine authority then you have to take the good with the bad. Not only do you get the rule not to kill, you also get a million rules telling you *how* to be a terrible human being. How to own slaves, how to subjugate women, how to obey god even when every moral instinct in your brain screams no.
I'm fine with the Bible being a source of stories and using those stories, where appropriate, in language and in art.
But believing it is a perfect book from a divine moral authority? Hell no. People need to challenge that sh*t every step of the way. And people need to be embarrassed to claim they believe it that way.
That's why I think people should realize it is a book written by mostly men inspired to do so, and read it logically as such. I think it does have redemptive "teaching" qualities to learn from in living decently, peaceably and harmoniously (even if by speaking of the trials, tribulations and pitfalls humanity has endured at the hands of it's OWN creations) wich for those who chose to read that from it. It's quite obvious then, that history shows that the human race is anything but perfect-FAR far from it, no matter how much some would like to think otherwise. It certainly has it's share of characters within, of those who anyone would NOT ever wish to have to exist around as well!

I still do not see any reason to froth at the mouth in hatred over it though.
It's a BOOK, not a fanged serpent dripping some sort of poisonous venom.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96719 Mar 21, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Do unto others as they have done unto you.
And I may have misunderstood some of your post. Not sure if you are stating that the bible should be forced on children or not.
I mainly believe that if we mind our own business instead of others business than we would get along much better
I recall it as "Do unto others as you would have done unto you".

Just a little different wording, but the it does change the interpretational meaning some what, because then anyone has to stop and think, about how they THEMSELVES, are treating others as well, NOT just how others are treating them.

NO, I would never force reading the Bible on children. I don't believe in forcing anything on children, they're kids, and should be allowed to be kids, because people are kids only once in thier lives.
That's why there's childrens books of more parable like teachings, based upon some of what is found in the Bible. Who in their right mind would want stories of darkness, hatred and warring forced upon any child? Some of the fairy tales are bad enough!!(Billy Goats gruff and trolls, evil stepqueeny parents..nope, wouldn't force that kind of stuff on any kid either!!).

I agree with you one hundred percent, if people minded their own business and stayed OUT of others peoples business where they have NO business, a lot of times, people probably would get along better.
Personally, I always found that just trying to tend to what anyone was SUPPOSED to be doing, was always plenty enough to keep busy at, with out having to dig around and start any sort of trouble for others. That kind of stuff is just wayyyyy to easy to do, and usually requires absolutely NO real effort applied to anything, or any brains to do it.
And I can understand why you might feel the way you do, after you explained why. People (in churches or anywhere else) should never take the special help of volunteered kindness for granted, volunteering is a gift to others, NOT an entitlement they're owed, that's for certain!!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#96720 Mar 21, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering why you mentioned me
At the time I thought you might have a rational viewpoint on fundamentalism. I guess the David Spade pic threw me off. My bad.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96721 Mar 21, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I think people should realize it is a book written by mostly men inspired to do so, and read it logically as such. I think it does have redemptive "teaching" qualities to learn from in living decently, peaceably and harmoniously (even if by speaking of the trials, tribulations and pitfalls humanity has endured at the hands of it's OWN creations) wich for those who chose to read that from it. It's quite obvious then, that history shows that the human race is anything but perfect-FAR far from it, no matter how much some would like to think otherwise. It certainly has it's share of characters within, of those who anyone would NOT ever wish to have to exist around as well!
I still do not see any reason to froth at the mouth in hatred over it though.
It's a BOOK, not a fanged serpent dripping some sort of poisonous venom.
It's just a book? It's an item that has inspired more bloodshed than any other single item in human history.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96722 Mar 21, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
I like my description better with out all those cuss words and that negativity crappola.
Suggestion, You might learn something a little more worthwhile by picking up a dictionary.
And maybe just stick to trying to comprehend some of the few commandements first.
They're pretty implicit about physically hurting others intentionally...as in thou shalt NOT.
If you choose not believe in a creator, if you choose not to see beauty and choose to dwell on ugliness, that's your choice. But you do not have the right to ruin such for others, and really there's no need to be so offensive to others that mean no harm.
Would you care to provide citation for those specific "thou shalt not hurt others" commandments?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96723 Mar 21, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Do unto others as they have done unto you.
And I may have misunderstood some of your post. Not sure if you are stating that the bible should be forced on children or not.
I mainly believe that if we mind our own business instead of others business than we would get along much better
The Golden Rule is paradoxical. When you have religies who actually enjoy having their brains beaten to oatmeal with Bibles, magazines and publications authorized by their High Shamans, they believe that everyone's should be.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96724 Mar 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I was talking to you. From the looks of your post picture you look too ----to understand TRUTH if you were zaped on the head with it!
So what do you have to look like to be a prospect for your cult? Mr. & Mrs. Ward Cleaver? Zapped in the head with truth? Mac McMurphey got that in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96725 Mar 21, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just a book? It's an item that has inspired more bloodshed than any other single item in human history.
Bullchit.

What's Palestine's REAL problem?

Stop LYING and distorting and tell the truth.

Palestine's problem is GREED along with the INability to even garner enough common sense collectively, to govern themselves democratically.

You just go sit in the corner, yer making me mad with your BS distortions of the TRUTH in reality.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96726 Mar 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you care to provide citation for those specific "thou shalt not hurt others" commandments?
Eh..non, je suis le tired, mon petite lil chien.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96727 Mar 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Golden Rule is paradoxical. When you have religies who actually enjoy having their brains beaten to oatmeal with Bibles, magazines and publications authorized by their High Shamans, they believe that everyone's should be.
ewe

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96728 Mar 21, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh..non, je suis le tired, mon petite lil chien.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Nothing creates... Nothing

#96729 Mar 21, 2013
The Bible is the best book in the world
Dont Panic

Somerset, KY

#96730 Mar 21, 2013
Let them pass this, and watch the federal class action law suits roll in. The ACLU, and other secular organizations would have a feild day over this proposal.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#96731 Mar 21, 2013
Lmao, the religies are such hypocrites. The holyhatebible should be no where near children.

Location hidden

#96732 Mar 21, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullchit.
What's Palestine's REAL problem?
Stop LYING and distorting and tell the truth.
Palestine's problem is GREED along with the INability to even garner enough common sense collectively, to govern themselves democratically.
You just go sit in the corner, yer making me mad with your BS distortions of the TRUTH in reality.
I can see it's a sensitive issue for you. You might want to think about why it upsets you so much, you know... for your health.

But I digress. I'm not talking "just" about current events, although I don't think it's a stretch to say we wouldn't have invaded Afghanistan or even Iraq if 911 hadn't happened (and 911 happened because?).

From the Crusades to the Inquisition to the Holocaust to Bosnia the "good" book has been used to justify countless atrocities.

To be fair, I lump all of the magic books of the Abrahamic religions together into one pile of blood-lusting, bigoted, superstitious crap and refer to it as the "bible". It's easier for me and I see no rational reason to differentiate between them.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Nothing creates... Nothing

#96733 Mar 21, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Lmao, the religies are such hypocrites. The holyhatebible should be no where near children.
I believe no matter what religion that a child should hear the Bible out loud.

Location hidden

#96734 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if my children are Hindus?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#96735 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Which One? There's a bunch.... http://www.allbibles.com/bibleversions.asp

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 14 min wtf 6,052
thieves on 1527 16 min peek a boo 10
Judge ex and mayor have free db festival tickets 1 hr Good guys 3
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Jay 154,359
Knox parent out of control goes after student a... 1 hr Smoky 27
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 2 hr _Zoey_ 3,545
how is moms cooking ? 2 hr john 11
kC principal injured 6 hr idk 10
The parent who flipped off and threatened every... 14 hr curious 16
•••