Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,619)

Showing posts 92,361 - 92,380 of122,638
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Refer to my response. And I'm not a fundie, as I hope you can perceive.
fine, you're a "mainstream" Mormon. Feel better?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the correction. Gotta make sure the bigotry is aimed at the right stereotype.
Absolutely! I have no intention of offending the innocent.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

really wrote:
Bible needs back in sghools
Judging by what you wrote, I think you would need a school first before you could put the bible in it.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Do whut?
I didn't speak a word about his beliefs. What are you talking about? Or who are you speaking of?
I was speaking of Lazy State Worker's condemnation of Satanic Priest when they clearly indicated that they don't even know what his beliefs are.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Your book tells you to murder, own slaves, slaughter people, it is not a good book. I wish people would read the bible rather than listen to some con artist
That's not what I read from MY good book. I find that kind of thing socio-ILLogically dark age, draconian, warped and mired in the MUCK of their OWN unrighteousness, who just grasp at whatever they can to try and twist others to manipulate them to their own warped misperceptions.

But I do agree, Con artists and manipulators that thrive on just trying to start trouble to suit their narccisstic, greedy selves (including the female kind) suck. They oughta be whipped with their own conivings of greed, hatefullness and deceit daily.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You missed the part about unless some one is violating us. The christian cult has; by pushing their beliefs as if they are the truth, by judging and condemning us with out knowing what we believe, by threats of violence, by murder, by violent physical attacks.
If we turned around and treated you as you have treated us ....... yea well that is what I now do
Are you threatening me with abuse?

I wouldn't do that if I were you.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
If you believe in some god that is how you choose to live, but you have no right to force your beliefs on to others.
If some one tells you that they do not believe in your god you do not have the right to kill them or keep pushing, even if they do say they believe but do not want to be preached at you should keep your beliefs where they belong, in your home and church.
It is good to live by your beliefs, too bad the christian cult does not live by what they preach
I do NOT believe in a God of hate, strife, abuse or any other VILE behavior.

Such is NOT acceptable.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
If you believe in some god that is how you choose to live, but you have no right to force your beliefs on to others.
If some one tells you that they do not believe in your god you do not have the right to kill them or keep pushing, even if they do say they believe but do not want to be preached at you should keep your beliefs where they belong, in your home and church.
It is good to live by your beliefs, too bad the christian cult does not live by what they preach
and I do NOT believe in imposing slavery fr the benefit of ones own greed onto the backs of others either.

That's bullchit.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only speak for myself, but I will not be wasting time praying in that scenario
<quoted text>
Do I ever say OMG? Sure. Does it mean I secretly believe in god? No. It's an expression that's ingrained in my lexicon. Kind of like southerners who say "y'all" it's just speech. I've heard women say "oh god" at times when they clearly were not praying...
<quoted text>
Physics
<quoted text>
What you're describing is exactly the reason there are religions.
Ancient people who didn't understand their environment came up with fairy tales to make themselves feel better and explain thunderstorms and floods and earthquakes and pestilence and famine...etc.
The fact that things happen for reasons that you don't understand is no reason to make up a god to attribute them to.
And of course love from an imaginary friend is the "best" love. It's all in your head so you can control it. With that kind of "love" you don't have to deal with the dynamics of reality. The peaks and valleys of real love with a real person.
Well stated... But I would add Human Ego to the mix... A large part of religion beyond the need for explanation of the unknown is the wish for self aggrandizement, superiority and power. To think that you are so important, so wonderful that a great all powerful being created you and all you see for your benefit places you in a superior position in a self world view... That leads to My God is greater than your god so I'm superior to you mindsets that is seen throughout history...
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well stated... But I would add Human Ego to the mix... A large part of religion beyond the need for explanation of the unknown is the wish for self aggrandizement, superiority and power. To think that you are so important, so wonderful that a great all powerful being created you and all you see for your benefit places you in a superior position in a self world view... That leads to My God is greater than your god so I'm superior to you mindsets that is seen throughout history...
I cannot imagine going through life, thinking I was the only person that existed in the world.

And I thank GOD daily, that I am NOT.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you referencing me in response to this poster?
I do not believe it is God's intention to send the majority of souls to Hell. I believe it is actually difficult to be cast into Outer Darkness. I believe that you earn the glory that you chose.
We believe in 3 different kingdoms of Heaven as described in the New Testament.
If you chose to follow every commandment from God, then you are worth to be in His presence and be a celestial body (as described in 2 Corinthians). If you did not abide by all of God's commandments, but accepted Jesus Christ, then you are worthy to be in His presence, but not the Father's. hence the Terrestrial. And if you did not accept Jesus Christ, but did not deny the Holy Ghost, then you are worthy to be in the presence of the Holy Ghost, but not Jesus or the Father. Hence the Telestial. John also speaks about the vision of being called into the third heaven and that he did not feel worthy to even attain that level.
So unless you deny the Holy Ghost, you would not go to Hell.
Those are my beliefs, so I hope that answers your odd question that appeared to be to someone else.
I wasn't referencing you in response to Happy's post, I was querying your take on the evangelical tone of her posts as an example for our discussion that intelligence and religiosity at times appear inversely proportional. Your elaborate reply reminds me that it is not always so (just as conspiracy theories and schizophrenia are not representative of intelligence quotas)- and you reminded me that doctrine is the Ragu and dogma is the spaghetti. TVYM, but my tastes run toward something a little less manufactured.
Sman

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot imagine going through life, thinking I was the only person that existed in the world.
And I thank GOD daily, that I am NOT.
I couldn't imagine worshiping an omnipotent being that allowed children to suffer and die in pain. If your god is omnipotent, it is a piece a crap not worth of my attention. Besides, if Heaven is full of people like you, I'd prefer Hell!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed! There's also simple manipulation (expanding on your power reference). It didn't take too long for humans to figure out that religion is an excellent tool for manipulating the masses. It's a lot easier to impose control over a group of scared (and ignorant) people if you tell them that a god said to do it.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Verse 26 demostrates a problem with understanding the bible. First one would have to know they have received the true knowledge of bilical truth. How would you qualify truth?
Then why would one repent if he did sin after having knowledge of the truth? If you willfully had gotten drunk you would not be forgiven, so why repent?
Repentance is more than simply acknowledging wrongdoings. It is a change of mind and heart. It includes turning away from sin

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm what? How you managed to glean that out of anything anyone has said here speaks volumes about your ability to process information.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You missed the part about unless some one is violating us. The christian cult has; by pushing their beliefs as if they are the truth, by judging and condemning us with out knowing what we believe, by threats of violence, by murder, by violent physical attacks.
If we turned around and treated you as you have treated us ....... yea well that is what I now do
and please do not pollute the air, litter, steal what is not yours or otherwise either.

Civil laws apply as well.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm what? How you managed to glean that out of anything anyone has said here speaks volumes about your ability to process information.
" A large part of religion beyond the need for explanation of the unknown is the wish for self aggrandizement, superiority and power. To think that you are so important, so wonderful that a great all powerful being created you and all you see for your benefit places you in a superior position in a self world view..."

Try reading it again, slowly, one word at a time.

Then see if you "get the simple statement".

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Peanut butter cherry picking time lol.
2 Timothy 2:16 ESV /
But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness
"faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Rom. 10:17).
Jer 6:10 (NIV) "To whom can I speak and give warning? Who will listen to me? Their ears are closed so they cannot hear. The word of the Lord is offensive to them; they find no pleasure in it."
Mat 13:12-17 (NIV) "Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. This is why I speak to them in parables:[from Isa 6:9-11]'Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.' In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become callused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.' But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."
Here's a good one that should make any thinking mind go hm..huh....o0
1 Sam 15:22 (NIV)..."Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings ...as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice..." (Mat 21:28-31)
Psalm 14:1 ESV /
To the choirmaster. Of David. The fool says in his heart,“There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good.
1 Corinthians 5:12 ESV / 5 helpful votes
For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
Psalm 91:1 ESV /
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
Isn't there a verse somewhere in the good book, that clearly infers that people, no matter the denomination, do best NOT to preach at those who do NOT wish to hear it? Bueller, Bueller anyone?
Such common sense within it's pages sometimes, for those who chose to read and hear it!!
None of this is any different than what the Koran says - yet you would find it flawed from that source.
The Bible is self fulfilling, self praising and self supporting. The characters within it profess that their own and each other's statements are unadulterated 'truths'. That cohesion is not the Holy Spirit, it's called "editing."
Yes, there is a verse that says not to preach to those who don't want to hear it. Matt. 7:6. Of course, it's easy for the devout to ignore that. It was just ...what's his name again? Oh, right JESUS, who said it.
Do you actually think that people who do not accept, absorb and regurgitate the fanciful machinations and convolutions invented by the clergy (the real swine) are the ones who:
'Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.'?
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
None of this is any different than what the Koran says - yet you would find it flawed from that source.
The Bible is self fulfilling, self praising and self supporting. The characters within it profess that their own and each other's statements are unadulterated 'truths'. That cohesion is not the Holy Spirit, it's called "editing."
Yes, there is a verse that says not to preach to those who don't want to hear it. Matt. 7:6. Of course, it's easy for the devout to ignore that. It was just ...what's his name again? Oh, right JESUS, who said it.
Do you actually think that people who do not accept, absorb and regurgitate the fanciful machinations and convolutions invented by the clergy (the real swine) are the ones who:
'Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.'?
Yes I realize the different levels of intellect that exists in the diversity of the worlduh as we know it.

Do you?(and don't try and sell me any NOTHING but more frosted FLAKE dogchit on a stick and pretend it's anything else but either!!!)

Straighten up means everybody-NOT just some.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Leaving the Light On wrote:
<quoted text>
Repentance is more than simply acknowledging wrongdoings. It is a change of mind and heart. It includes turning away from sin
Yes, that makes sense. That said, how can someone who turns away from sin, yet does not have the an accurate knowledge of the truth still be saved from destruction or eternal torture and suffering by God?

I can follow all the rules on how to swim yet I can still be drowned because the rules I read is not accurate enough to prevent it.

How can one have accurate knowledge of the truth when other beliefs claim it is false here on topix forum?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 92,361 - 92,380 of122,638
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Shawntaea Hughes (Jan '09) 4 min Posh 45
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 7 min LIbEralS 25,970
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min S C A 138,515
Larry dye and Amy dye 10 min haha 18
Who remembers Mary Francis (Jan '13) 13 min Truth 24
can u apply for food stamps online 19 min gator 31
somepplarebitchs 23 min gator 12
Eight arrested in Knox drug roundup... 41 min holland 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••