Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,618

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#96740 Mar 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe no matter what religion that it is healthy for people to laugh out loud.
And your point is?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#96741 Mar 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you decide that JW has the truth? If you are making that decision then you are assuming you know the mind of God on some level. Don't you leave any room for doubt?
Do you at least concede that your faith might not be the right one? If not, on what grounds do you have this ultimate Godlike knowledge? And for that matter why are Muslims wrong if they also believe they have the truth? Or Jews or Catholics or Mormons, etc.
There are several reasons that convences us that we do indeed have the truth! One is we base everything we teach on God's word the Bible. John 8:31,32 17:3 17:17 and 1John 5:19

ARE YOU A GENUINE CHRISTIAN?
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
2. How do you define Christian love?—1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#96742 Mar 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several reasons that convences us that we do indeed have the truth! One is we base everything we teach on God's word the Bible. John 8:31,32 17:3 17:17 and 1John 5:19
ARE YOU A GENUINE CHRISTIAN?
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
2. How do you define Christian love?—1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org
Just Plain Goofy....

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#96743 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe no matter what religion that a child should hear the Bible out loud.
Stated just like a true religie, good job, that's what I,m talking about. Do you think morgan freeman has time to make a cd of the holyhatebible? I can hear his voice now quoting scripture,

happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones
psalm 137/9

behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces malachi 2/3

for every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death
leviticus 20/9

Lmao, dare I say it, yes, you're ignorant. Keep your ridiculous religion out of public schools.

“There is no god.”

USA

#96744 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe so. We should spread the word of God.

Spread the word, Oleo lord.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#96745 Mar 21, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Stated just like a true religie, good job, that's what I,m talking about. Do you think morgan freeman has time to make a cd of the holyhatebible? I can hear his voice now quoting scripture,
happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones
psalm 137/9
behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces malachi 2/3
for every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death
leviticus 20/9
Lmao, dare I say it, yes, you're ignorant. Keep your ridiculous religion out of public schools.
Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96746 Mar 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>The Kinderhook plates were a hoax but I'm not very familiar with that story. I know Smith thought they were real, which is a strike against any divinity he is said to have had. I mean, the guy was chosen by angels and could perform miracles right? Yet he can't pick out a fake and he lies about the Book of Abraham.

The whole thing is just funny to me. Fascinating, but funny.

I have no interest in reading the BoM. I can research it if I choose, maybe read bits of it. But I seriously doubt I'd ever take the time to read the whole thing. If there was something in there that was worth reading then respectable people I admire would have already suggested that I read it.

Strangely they have not.

And so it came to pass that I did not read it. lol
They showed Joseph the plates and he said yes they look authentic. He was excited due to his experience with the record that became the BOM, but before he started to translate them, he was constrained by the Spirit. Confused, he started asking questions and then it very quickly came to light that it was a hoax. They didn't fool him.

I still don't believe he lied about the Book of Abraham, but neither of us have proof. My only argument would be his elementary school education would have had a hard time producing it (or the Book of Mormon).

In my opinion, since there are people saying it is BS, and there are people that live their lives around it, there must be two pretty good arguments for and against the BOM. The only way you can know for sure is to read it yourself and judge for yourself. Anything less is just taking other's words for it.

“There is no god.”

USA

#96747 Mar 21, 2013
“Religion is like a pair of shoes.....Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96748 Mar 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Do you not think that when Martin Luther's words started the Protestant movement those folks thought they were restoring the Church? Why do you think the LDS is the correct restoration of the church?

Do any of the gaping holes in the Mormon faith not bother you? I've listed several. What about the archeology, which is 100% empty of evidence to support your book?
Actually, Martin just stated that the Catholic Church was wrong and that he knew what should be better. He didn't claim to restore the church to Jesus' standard. Similar to how Roger Williams and John Wesley began their churches. Both had made the comment that they knew the actual church of Christ was no longer existent but they wanted to try to get as close as possible.(Roger founded the Baptist church in America, John founded he Methodist and eventually the Wesleyan church). Roger even said that unless angels from Heaven come down to restore it, it would not be back on earth.
Interestingly, we believe that an angel visited Joseph to guide him to the record. We also believe that the priesthood power was restored by the resurrected apostles of Jesus Christ: Peter, James, and John. They came and laid their hands on Joseph's head to do so. This is a restoration. The others could be called a reformation because there was no intervention from Heavenly visitors.

I'm not near a computer. I'll get back to you on evidence that I have run across on apologetic websites.

“There is no god.”

USA

#96749 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Just have faith even if it lacks merit.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#96750 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe so. We should spread the word of God.
Which god? Pan, Anubis, Thoth, Mamon????????
And which bible?
How about we teach the Satanic bible and tell children about Beelzebub? Are you all for that?
Good thing for you that I am not pushing my beliefs on children, they are much better than your sick beliefs

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96751 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
What? You do not want people to read the whole bible, just bits that you pick out? Why is that?
Your sick evil cult will not preach your evil vile to innocent children, and if I catch one of you freaks touching my daughter there will not be a phone call to the police

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96752 Mar 21, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point is?
That your evil cult is losing members so it is a joke?
Nothing but mindless sheep and with more people being able to read the less sheep you have.
What makes you think that you are above hundreds of millions of Americans?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96753 Mar 21, 2013
Psalm 137:9

King James Version (KJV)

9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

That is evil!
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96754 Mar 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain.
Who was he quoting that too-his Caligoldrushofornia gambling/drinking buddy?
:-)
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96755 Mar 21, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see it's a sensitive issue for you. You might want to think about why it upsets you so much, you know... for your health.
But I digress. I'm not talking "just" about current events, although I don't think it's a stretch to say we wouldn't have invaded Afghanistan or even Iraq if 911 hadn't happened (and 911 happened because?).
From the Crusades to the Inquisition to the Holocaust to Bosnia the "good" book has been used to justify countless atrocities.
To be fair, I lump all of the magic books of the Abrahamic religions together into one pile of blood-lusting, bigoted, superstitious crap and refer to it as the "bible". It's easier for me and I see no rational reason to differentiate between them.
Meh, it's cold out today.

Anyway, I don't think we'd've landed back in Iraq via Afghanistan either had 9/11 not occurred. If anyone thinks about it, if the absolute "reason" had been just to overthrow Saddam, we could've done so prior. That wasn't the case, but no matter how much anyone present s the logical facts, there will always be the blind to the truth crowds, just looking for something to hate about, even if unjustified. Idiocracy in it's element.
Countless atrocities you say--- of greed, power mongering, aquisitions and the like? That I could agree with. Bosnia, I might give one formidable nod of possible, as that was a direct cause of more actually "religiously based" uprising and terrorisms of intolerance.
I think that's why there's an OT, and then a NT. That stone age, dark age stuff of the OT, just hasn't worked out too well for a few thou years now.

Majic? Puhlease.
happy

Lexington, KY

#96756 Mar 21, 2013
I've been redeemed. I've been set free. I would never go back to who I used to be. Praise God! I've been set free. To know a love such as this.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96757 Mar 21, 2013
happy wrote:
I've been redeemed. I've been set free. I would never go back to who I used to be. Praise God! I've been set free. To know a love such as this.
YAA, it is great that your illusions make you so happy. But you should keep your fantasies to yourself.
And stop smoking meth

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#96758 Mar 21, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I think people should realize it is a book written by mostly men inspired to do so, and read it logically as such. I think it does have redemptive "teaching" qualities to learn from in living decently, peaceably and harmoniously (even if by speaking of the trials, tribulations and pitfalls humanity has endured at the hands of it's OWN creations) wich for those who chose to read that from it. It's quite obvious then, that history shows that the human race is anything but perfect-FAR far from it, no matter how much some would like to think otherwise. It certainly has it's share of characters within, of those who anyone would NOT ever wish to have to exist around as well!
I still do not see any reason to froth at the mouth in hatred over it though.
It's a BOOK, not a fanged serpent dripping some sort of poisonous venom.
I have two questions.

First, what do you mean by "inspired"? If you mean the stories were written from inspirations, then that's true of any story. If you mean God inspired them to write it then you are getting back to the problem I pointed out. You are setting up a divine authority. And there is some bloodthirsty stuff in that book that by all logic MUST have come from the same divine source.

Otherwise, you are saying that some parts were from God and some were not. Which is which? Who has the authority to make that distinction? Who knows the mind of this God?

Second, do you think it is wise to deliver this book to people who already believe in witchcraft and magic so they can have one more authoritative magic book to use to hurt people? They do this in Africa. We take them Bibles, they kill witches and point to the Bible as a source of authority to do so.

Instead, why not teach them some friggin' critical thinking skills? Teach some literature from various sources. Fund schools and make sure those schools have high academic standards. That is how you cure poverty. Giving someone a Bible and praying for them does not do anything at all.

Nobody is angry at the book. But some of us are angry at the a**holes who use it to hurt people.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#96759 Mar 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no. I'm asking *you*, not the Watchtower.

How do *you* know? If it is just a feeling or faith, then you have no more insight than any other religious person.

Do you realize that every single Christian church claims that they also are on the right path?

Hell, Muslims are willing to kill and die for their God. If it is just a matter of how strong your faith is then they win all the way to the bank.

I'm trying to get at the reasons you believe you are in the right church, or that any church is right. That is the root of the problem. Reason.

Faith lacks it.

So what is your reason? Not the Watchtower's reason, your reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
no nickle tax knox BOE 5 hr sick of taxes 2
Mayor Darren west come get political signs 6 hr Catron resident 4
fire station or not 10 hr Citizen 3
HAppy Thanksgiving Everyone! 14 hr gator 2
how can a murderer walk the streets!!!! 21 hr john 16
Phillip Vaughn (Oct '10) Wed Loving 9
Separate Wed Loving 3
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Nov 24 beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

NFL 2:01PM
Shaun Phillips claimed by Indianapolis Colts