Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,617)

Showing posts 92,321 - 92,340 of127,866
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96597
Mar 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

Known Fact wrote:
Jehovah’s Witnesses—Who Are We?
We come from hundreds of ethnic and language backgrounds, yet we are united by common goals. Above all, we want to honor Jehovah, the God of the Bible and the Creator of all things. We do our best to imitate Jesus Christ and are proud to be called Christians. Each of us regularly spends time helping people learn about the Bible and God’s Kingdom. Because we witness, or talk, about Jehovah God and his Kingdom, we are known as Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Explore our site. Read the Bible online. Learn more about us and our beliefs.
www.jw.org
Stop spamming

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96598
Mar 19, 2013
 
happy wrote:
<quoted text>Rev 22:18,19
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophesy of this book: if anyone adds to these things,God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. 19) and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophesy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the Holy City, and from the things which are written in this book.
Please understand that "this book" refers to the Book of Revelation only. That was their way of copyrighting back then. Revelations was the first book written by him. So you would have to throw away his other books if you try to apply that to the entire Bible. Revelations is last in the canon because it is about the end of times. That's the only reason.
Do you realize that the Bible wasn't canonized until hundreds of years after the death of the apostles? "This book" could not have meant the KJV Bible as you know it today.

Please do not silence God. He can speak to whomever he wants. And those words should be scripture.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96599
Mar 19, 2013
 
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Well, there you go "Do Whut".
Happy's magic book called "no adsies", therefore your magic book is null and void.

Are you guys going to keep going at it? Because if so, let me go make some popcorn and settle in. I love watching a fundie vs. fundie cage match. It's like watching midgets wrestle.
Refer to my response. And I'm not a fundie, as I hope you can perceive.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96600
Mar 19, 2013
 
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I just realized I was being rude. I meant to say "it's like watching little people wrestle."
Thanks for the correction. Gotta make sure the bigotry is aimed at the right stereotype.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96601
Mar 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>"You missed my point. I'm not trying to convince you there is a God. I'm just saying you can't call people less intelligent just because they believe in God."

Yes I can....
Ok, you can say it all you want. It doesn't mean you are correct

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96602
Mar 19, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
I confess that I don't know diddly about Satanic Priest's religion (?)- if that's even what it is... perhaps it's a philosophy? Obviously you have no idea either, but it doesn't at all hinder you from jumping to black and white conclusions.

What do you think about such behaviors, do whut? Are they indicative of intelligence?
Would you agree with me that it is reflective of an ethnocentric, xenophobic fundamentalist prejudice which is more "un-American" and potentially more harmful than my own disdain for artifice?
Do whut?
I didn't speak a word about his beliefs. What are you talking about? Or who are you speaking of?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96603
Mar 19, 2013
 
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I would not trust Mormon sources on this story. The LDS has a long history of distorting the truth to avoid embarrassment, including the Book of Abraham.

The story is, as I have heard it from various non-Mormon (historical) sources, that Smith was reluctant to do the translation (because he couldn't) and it was later quite easily shown to be incorrect.

I can understand Mormons wanting to minimize the damage this failure did to their church by embracing all possible alternatives.

We are not going to see this the same way. I've read bits and pieces of the Book of Mormon and I find it tedious and dull. The stories are not interesting and they certainly lack any shred of evidence toward their truth. I accept the Jewish Bible as mythology and early literature. I accept the New Testament as newer mythology and literature. Neither are very good, really. But they are very important.

I find the Book of Mormon to be an interesting modern invention. I do not think it is very well written, nor do I find it to be very important in the long run.

Have fun with it, I simply have no use for it.

But I will continue to argue against the LDS as long as Mormons do things like promote Prop 8 and maintain a misogynistic worldview. Such cultures are ugly in the light of the modern era and will shrivel under criticism. I think in time the LDS will either evolve into a toothless, vanilla Christian sect that is in line with changing social norms or it will shrink and become a magnet for crazy people.

For what its worth, you are a polite person to argue with. I have no ill will toward you. I just find your religion to be offensive and kooky. Like all the others, really.
Understand, but I urge you to read the entire BOM from start to finish before drawing a conclusion. After all, if you don't, you are simply taking other's opinions about it rather than finding out on your own.
I was a major skeptic of the church too until I read it with an open mind.

As for the book I mentioned, you would never know the guy was a member by the way he exposes the bad as much as the good. I still recommend it.

As for the Book of Abraham, I haven't heard that reluctance part. This sounds like more of the story of the Kinderhook plates to me. Are you familiar with that episode?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96604
Mar 19, 2013
 
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>And that is merely what your particular faith teaches. It is not what other faiths teach, using the same book.

John Calvin said that your works, no matter how great, are depraved. Otherwise a human could begin to aspire to be perfect like God. He found this notion utterly incoherent. Instead, you must simply have faith that God grants you grace. The works you do would be outward signs that perhaps you do have that faith.

Or something very much like that.

My point is that the actions of a man cannot impact the actions of God, otherwise a man has some kind of power to move God. This is the view of a huge portion of Protestant faiths. So a man could indeed rape again and again and end up going to Heaven, according to many faiths. It is merely an application of their own logic. Otherwise a man's actions can move God, which means God is slightly less than all powerful.

And since the Bible supplies so many passages of often conflicting natures you could literally tease any kind of theology you want to out of.

What makes the LDS correct? What makes Baptists wrong? What makes Hindus wrong? And if they are all correct, why bother?
Again, this is why we believe it was necessary for the complete gospel of Jesus Christ to be restored. Because so many interpretations from the same book are not representative of a God of order that expects details to be correct. His intent was not for many denominations with partial truths. This was Satan's influence.

Jesus told us that there would be a falling away from the church and a restitution of all things before His return. We simply believe this has taken place.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96605
Mar 19, 2013
 
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I would not trust Mormon sources on this story. The LDS has a long history of distorting the truth to avoid embarrassment, including the Book of Abraham.

The story is, as I have heard it from various non-Mormon (historical) sources, that Smith was reluctant to do the translation (because he couldn't) and it was later quite easily shown to be incorrect.

I can understand Mormons wanting to minimize the damage this failure did to their church by embracing all possible alternatives.

We are not going to see this the same way. I've read bits and pieces of the Book of Mormon and I find it tedious and dull. The stories are not interesting and they certainly lack any shred of evidence toward their truth. I accept the Jewish Bible as mythology and early literature. I accept the New Testament as newer mythology and literature. Neither are very good, really. But they are very important.

I find the Book of Mormon to be an interesting modern invention. I do not think it is very well written, nor do I find it to be very important in the long run.

Have fun with it, I simply have no use for it.

But I will continue to argue against the LDS as long as Mormons do things like promote Prop 8 and maintain a misogynistic worldview. Such cultures are ugly in the light of the modern era and will shrivel under criticism. I think in time the LDS will either evolve into a toothless, vanilla Christian sect that is in line with changing social norms or it will shrink and become a magnet for crazy people.

For what its worth, you are a polite person to argue with. I have no ill will toward you. I just find your religion to be offensive and kooky. Like all the others, really.
And thanks for the compliment. I find that conversations go much smoother with mutual respect.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96606
Mar 19, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>When did Dollar General start selling reconditioned computers?
THIS is why we need the Bible in schools?
When your version of the universe rotates around how much an all loving god planned practically from the git-go to incinerate almost every human soul for all of eternity... and it's all Satan's fault for disagreeing on whether humans should know right from wrong... Um, yeah. Sounds good to you, do whut? I think I'll take a pass on that universe, thanks anyway.
Why are you referencing me in response to this poster?

I do not believe it is God's intention to send the majority of souls to Hell. I believe it is actually difficult to be cast into Outer Darkness. I believe that you earn the glory that you chose.
We believe in 3 different kingdoms of Heaven as described in the New Testament.
If you chose to follow every commandment from God, then you are worth to be in His presence and be a celestial body (as described in 2 Corinthians). If you did not abide by all of God's commandments, but accepted Jesus Christ, then you are worthy to be in His presence, but not the Father's. hence the Terrestrial. And if you did not accept Jesus Christ, but did not deny the Holy Ghost, then you are worthy to be in the presence of the Holy Ghost, but not Jesus or the Father. Hence the Telestial. John also speaks about the vision of being called into the third heaven and that he did not feel worthy to even attain that level.
So unless you deny the Holy Ghost, you would not go to Hell.

Those are my beliefs, so I hope that answers your odd question that appeared to be to someone else.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96607
Mar 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>You should not make statements until you have done some research and got the facts straight. Example: You say Revelations when there is only one book with that title so it is REVELATION. Not a big deal but you refer to John as being from Patmos. Patmos was a prison and John was inprisoned there when he wrote Revelation. The same John wrote the book of John, 1John, 2John and 3John. And this John was one of Jesus' Apostles but you say he never knew Jesus!
That is correct
really

Big Stone Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96609
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Bible needs back in sghools

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96610
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I confess that I don't know diddly about Satanic Priest's religion (?)- if that's even what it is... perhaps it's a philosophy? Obviously you have no idea either, but it doesn't at all hinder you from jumping to black and white conclusions.
What do you think about such behaviors, do whut? Are they indicative of intelligence?
Would you agree with me that it is reflective of an ethnocentric, xenophobic fundamentalist prejudice which is more "un-American" and potentially more harmful than my own disdain for artifice?
My beliefs are simple, there is no god or (christian scare tactic) devil. As humans we hate as well as love, get angry as well as laugh, we all have a dark side as well as a bright side.(god and the devil are a part of us all) but (and here is the important part) We never harm the innocent, we may only kill if it is needed for survival (humans are the only animal that kill for fun) we may not violate the rights of others (unless they are violating us first) and our rights end where your rights begin (unless you are violating us)
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96611
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You labor under the assumption that other people find Bible verses to be compelling too. I do not.
I have studied the Bible, casually. I have a working understanding of Christian theologies, though certainly not perfect or comprehensive. Clearly my worldview is rooted in naturalism, not faith.
We shall have to simply disagree on this matter.
Pulled a lucifers awful mess of uncultivated honeysuckle from a lilac bush yesterday. Whilst I find the fragrance of such to be an occassional natural enjoyment, it chokes out and ruins everything its gnarly, unrestrained tenicles slither to, then clingy, nothing but life draining of it's base. Better to temper it, as it roots are a dime a dozen, in it's natural noxious state.
Especially when it's hanging off the leaf edges of an even sweeter scented flora, such as the most resplendently when in bloom lilac!

"Be gone oh clingy, suffocating weed,'tis NOT your space to clingon to.(Lt. Spock, some version of Star Trek-Not really)

Isn't that exciting? lol.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96612
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey crazy lady - I'm not a child. Knock off the bullcrap revival tent lingo. You have *no clue* where I am or where I've been. Do not think that because I turn my back on organized religions and the fantasies that have been constructed by them over the centuries that I am willfully ignorant or led astray. Pluck the plank from your eye and stop looking down on others from your pink cloud - you are neither my shepherd nor my savior.
Amen Amen Amen!!
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96613
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
When did Dollar General start selling reconditioned computers?
THIS is why we need the Bible in schools?
When your version of the universe rotates around how much an all loving god planned practically from the git-go to incinerate almost every human soul for all of eternity... and it's all Satan's fault for disagreeing on whether humans should know right from wrong... Um, yeah. Sounds good to you, do whut? I think I'll take a pass on that universe, thanks anyway.
Peanut butter cherry picking time lol.

2 Timothy 2:16 ESV /

But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness

"faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Rom. 10:17).

Jer 6:10 (NIV) "To whom can I speak and give warning? Who will listen to me? Their ears are closed so they cannot hear. The word of the Lord is offensive to them; they find no pleasure in it."

Mat 13:12-17 (NIV) "Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. This is why I speak to them in parables:[from Isa 6:9-11]'Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.' In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become callused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.' But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."

Here's a good one that should make any thinking mind go hm..huh....o0

1 Sam 15:22 (NIV)..."Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings ...as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice..." (Mat 21:28-31)

Psalm 14:1 ESV /

To the choirmaster. Of David. The fool says in his heart,“There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good.

1 Corinthians 5:12 ESV / 5 helpful votes

For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?

Psalm 91:1 ESV /

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

Isn't there a verse somewhere in the good book, that clearly infers that people, no matter the denomination, do best NOT to preach at those who do NOT wish to hear it? Bueller, Bueller anyone?
Such common sense within it's pages sometimes, for those who chose to read and hear it!!
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96614
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>My beliefs are simple, there is no god or (christian scare tactic) devil. As humans we hate as well as love, get angry as well as laugh, we all have a dark side as well as a bright side.(god and the devil are a part of us all) but
Please reread what you wrote.

It is nice however, that you realize you are only human as are the rest of us, and that you do not wish to harm others!! Mostly because intentionally mean people (meaning ones that say stuff on purpose, intentionally or accusingly,knowing it could hurt others) just suck :-).
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96615
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>My beliefs are simple, there is no god or (christian scare tactic) devil. As humans we hate as well as love, get angry as well as laugh, we all have a dark side as well as a bright side.(god and the devil are a part of us all) but (and here is the important part) We never harm the innocent, we may only kill if it is needed for survival (humans are the only animal that kill for fun) we may not violate the rights of others (unless they are violating us first) and our rights end where your rights begin (unless you are violating us)
and PS, I agree, the good book should be applied in ways of LOVE, for the betterment and well being and for the GOOD of people, NOT to condemn/judge or hurt them!!!!!!!
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96616
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>Please understand that "this book" refers to the Book of Revelation only. That was their way of copyrighting back then. Revelations was the first book written by him. So you would have to throw away his other books if you try to apply that to the entire Bible. Revelations is last in the canon because it is about the end of times. That's the only reason.
Do you realize that the Bible wasn't canonized until hundreds of years after the death of the apostles? "This book" could not have meant the KJV Bible as you know it today.

Please do not silence God. He can speak to whomever he wants. And those words should be scripture.
God does speak to those that will listen but certainly another prophet aside from our loving living Heavenly Father is not needed just like it does no good to pray to saints and Mary. Hello. Only God our creator. Not "another" book. Just saying. My debate is not with you although I pray you discover the WHOLE TRUTH and not another mans truth who felt he needed to write his own words of God..?? In Jesus name
I'm concerned over these people's souks and nothing else. We plant seed. Someone else will water. God does the rest. Have a good day sir

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96617
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
and PS, I agree, the good book should be applied in ways of LOVE, for the betterment and well being and for the GOOD of people, NOT to condemn/judge or hurt them!!!!!!!
Your book tells you to murder, own slaves, slaughter people, it is not a good book. I wish people would read the bible rather than listen to some con artist

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 92,321 - 92,340 of127,866
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

56 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
shelia brown (May '12) 26 min Wow 11
trail camera 31 min stephanie 14
free phones for anybody that gets food stamps o... 39 min dipchit 3
New mayor and City council raise waterpark ... 42 min thunker 17
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr RepubliTRASH 144,688
Do people still cruise the strip on weekends? 2 hr gator 12
Big chicken 2 hr gator 9
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 6 hr FarePrey 372
KC Basketball Coach 21 hr breaking news 49
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••