Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,396

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
GWB

Roseville, CA

#96581 Mar 19, 2013
Leaving the Light On wrote:
<quoted text>
Hebrews 10
The Just Live by Faith
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
Verse 26 demostrates a problem with understanding the bible. First one would have to know they have received the true knowledge of bilical truth. How would you qualify truth?

Then why would one repent if he did sin after having knowledge of the truth? If you willfully had gotten drunk you would not be forgiven, so why repent?
happy

Lexington, KY

#96582 Mar 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I thought that we are not under the law but under grace. The old testament laws do not apply, or is it a sin to eat pork and shellfish? HMMM? Picking and choosing from the bible and making things up as you go along just proves that your god is not real and you do not believe that the bible is the word of god.
You know the scriptures pretty well
It seems. So who hurt you? It had to be a person. People will always always let you down. Especially if you have them on a pedestal or it was someone you trusted maybe... GOD will/would never hurt you. He cares about your concerns. He would never never never leave you or forsake you. Satan HATES hates hates you. Even with you serving him.. He HATES YOU. He's using you ..
JESUS I ask for a hedge of protection around this person and that you would show him the light in whatever form you deem necessary to bring this child in I plead the BLOOD of Jesus all around him for protection and that they might come to know the true power of your LOVE in Jesus name .. That they would feel your HOLY presence. Thank You Father for saving me from the pits of hell. You are my rescuer. My salvation. In Jesus name i pray Amen

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#96583 Mar 19, 2013
"Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."

happy

Lexington, KY

#96584 Mar 19, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting and ironic. No additions beyond the Christ's gospel? Well, in the first place, there's no record that Jesus wrote ANYTHING. Revelations was written by John of Patmos - a guy who never met Jesus (and neither did Saul) and had no known credentials, but there's his book added to all the rest. Then people rant and rail for it over a hundred other writings that hold the same degree of authority. Nods to Moroni - Sic 'em!.
Oh please please please Deny child deny. Ill keep reaping the benefits of being a child of God. Born again. Rescued and peaceful and yes happy. Miracle after miracle after miracle. Peace in trials and oh yes I have trials. I grow stronger thru each and my faith and trust grows that much stronger and my love. I don't fear you or your type or hate you. I have been where you are. I would never ever never ever turn my back on my GOD. I will share my faith till I die because of what my God gas done for me if HE never did another thing for me...

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#96585 Mar 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't work well on the iPhone either.
Yes I can see how it could be offensive to Non-Mormons because they don't understand that it doesn't make them Mormon, it just gives them the opportunity to accept it. Otherwise, it means nothing. I'm in that situation now.
We are urged to only do work for people in our own geneaology to avoid offending others. We believe in the sealing powers that last beyond the graves. We believe it is God's will to link all generations together all the way back to Adam, so the practice would never be denounced. But as I said, you will have the right to choose to accept it or not, just like you have the right to do it on your own now.
As for the Book of Abraham, I don't believe that statement is accurate. There were sources that were close friends with the prophet that said he put aside the scrolls that were not pertinent to the work he was called to do. We know for sure there was a lot of junk in the lot that he bought, so not all of it was important.
Reformed Egyptian was what the people of the Book of Mormon called their langueage, which they said admittedly changed over the years from what their ancestors used. The original plates were abridged by Mormon and his son Moroni, some of which, hundreds of years after they were written. So it seems possible to me that the language could have been completely different by then. They didn't have formal schools then.
I look at how things could happen. As I said, if Christians like myself can believe the things in the Bible (especially Old Testament) happened, then the things that happened with the Book of Mormon are certainly believable.
I realize that this isn't an argument for someone that doesn't believe the Bible isn't true, you don't have to remind me. I'm aware. I'm just comparing.
I would not trust Mormon sources on this story. The LDS has a long history of distorting the truth to avoid embarrassment, including the Book of Abraham.

The story is, as I have heard it from various non-Mormon (historical) sources, that Smith was reluctant to do the translation (because he couldn't) and it was later quite easily shown to be incorrect.

I can understand Mormons wanting to minimize the damage this failure did to their church by embracing all possible alternatives.

We are not going to see this the same way. I've read bits and pieces of the Book of Mormon and I find it tedious and dull. The stories are not interesting and they certainly lack any shred of evidence toward their truth. I accept the Jewish Bible as mythology and early literature. I accept the New Testament as newer mythology and literature. Neither are very good, really. But they are very important.

I find the Book of Mormon to be an interesting modern invention. I do not think it is very well written, nor do I find it to be very important in the long run.

Have fun with it, I simply have no use for it.

But I will continue to argue against the LDS as long as Mormons do things like promote Prop 8 and maintain a misogynistic worldview. Such cultures are ugly in the light of the modern era and will shrivel under criticism. I think in time the LDS will either evolve into a toothless, vanilla Christian sect that is in line with changing social norms or it will shrink and become a magnet for crazy people.

For what its worth, you are a polite person to argue with. I have no ill will toward you. I just find your religion to be offensive and kooky. Like all the others, really.

Location hidden

#96586 Mar 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If you repeat the crime, then repentance never happened, as I described before.
I don't subscribe to a religion that believes works are not important. The scriptures say faith without works is dead. Works alone do not provide salvation, but faith without works means there never was really faith.
I hope this helps you understand my stance.
And that is merely what your particular faith teaches. It is not what other faiths teach, using the same book.

John Calvin said that your works, no matter how great, are depraved. Otherwise a human could begin to aspire to be perfect like God. He found this notion utterly incoherent. Instead, you must simply have faith that God grants you grace. The works you do would be outward signs that perhaps you do have that faith.

Or something very much like that.

My point is that the actions of a man cannot impact the actions of God, otherwise a man has some kind of power to move God. This is the view of a huge portion of Protestant faiths. So a man could indeed rape again and again and end up going to Heaven, according to many faiths. It is merely an application of their own logic. Otherwise a man's actions can move God, which means God is slightly less than all powerful.

And since the Bible supplies so many passages of often conflicting natures you could literally tease any kind of theology you want to out of.

What makes the LDS correct? What makes Baptists wrong? What makes Hindus wrong? And if they are all correct, why bother?

Location hidden

#96587 Mar 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You show no scriptures to support your suposition only faulty religious beliefs.
You could use a serious Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses to clear away all the nonsense you THINK the Bible teaches. You would be surprised at what the TRUTH can do for you, John 8:31,32 And so Jesus went on to say to the Jews that had believed him:“If YOU remain in my word, YOU are really my disciples, 32 and YOU will know the truth, and the truth will set YOU free
You labor under the assumption that other people find Bible verses to be compelling too. I do not.

I have studied the Bible, casually. I have a working understanding of Christian theologies, though certainly not perfect or comprehensive. Clearly my worldview is rooted in naturalism, not faith.

We shall have to simply disagree on this matter.
tbone

Pikeville, KY

#96589 Mar 19, 2013
Jesus love,s the little children
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Grayson, KY

#96590 Mar 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I thought that we are not under the law but under grace. The old testament laws do not apply, or is it a sin to eat pork and shellfish? HMMM? Picking and choosing from the bible and making things up as you go along just proves that your god is not real and you do not believe that the bible is the word of god.
You are right to say we aren't under the old law & that we are now under Grace. God does not hate the Sinner, but the Sin. Sin will always be sin, but through Faith by Grace & not Sacrificial Blood,(the Old Law) we are forgiven of our sins if we ask! Having said that, being gay is an abomination (sin) against God, but, if you ask god to forgive you of the sin, & TURN from the sin, then God IS just & forgiving & you can go to Heaven. Why is this my belief? I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE THE BIBLE! Not Pushing on you, just explaining MY beliefs & why. Thank you again for listening with respect!
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Grayson, KY

#96591 Mar 19, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems. So who hurt you? It had to be a person. People will always always let you down. Especially if you have them on a pedestal or it was someone you trusted maybe... GOD will/would never hurt you. He cares about your concerns. He would never never never leave you or forsake you. Satan HATES hates hates you. Even with you serving him.. He HATES YOU. He's using you ..
JESUS I ask for a hedge of protection around this person and that you would show him the light in whatever form you deem necessary to bring this child in I plead the BLOOD of Jesus all around him for protection and that they might come to know the true power of your LOVE in Jesus name .. That they would feel your HOLY presence. Thank You Father for saving me from the pits of hell. You are my rescuer. My salvation. In Jesus name i pray Amen
I'm in TOTAL AGREEMENT with your prayer!!
Thank you in advance God for answering our prayers! PRAISE THE LORD

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#96592 Mar 19, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
When did Dollar General start selling reconditioned computers?
THIS is why we need the Bible in schools?
When your version of the universe rotates around how much an all loving god planned practically from the git-go to incinerate almost every human soul for all of eternity... and it's all Satan's fault for disagreeing on whether humans should know right from wrong... Um, yeah. Sounds good to you, do whut? I think I'll take a pass on that universe, thanks anyway.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#96593 Mar 19, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting and ironic. No additions beyond the Christ's gospel? Well, in the first place, there's no record that Jesus wrote ANYTHING. Revelations was written by John of Patmos - a guy who never met Jesus (and neither did Saul) and had no known credentials, but there's his book added to all the rest. Then people rant and rail for it over a hundred other writings that hold the same degree of authority. Nods to Moroni - Sic 'em!.
You should not make statements until you have done some research and got the facts straight. Example: You say Revelations when there is only one book with that title so it is REVELATION. Not a big deal but you refer to John as being from Patmos. Patmos was a prison and John was inprisoned there when he wrote Revelation. The same John wrote the book of John, 1John, 2John and 3John. And this John was one of Jesus' Apostles but you say he never knew Jesus!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96594 Mar 19, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please please please Deny child deny. Ill keep reaping the benefits of being a child of God. Born again. Rescued and peaceful and yes happy. Miracle after miracle after miracle. Peace in trials and oh yes I have trials. I grow stronger thru each and my faith and trust grows that much stronger and my love. I don't fear you or your type or hate you. I have been where you are. I would never ever never ever turn my back on my GOD. I will share my faith till I die because of what my God gas done for me if HE never did another thing for me...
Hey crazy lady - I'm not a child. Knock off the bullcrap revival tent lingo. You have *no clue* where I am or where I've been. Do not think that because I turn my back on organized religions and the fantasies that have been constructed by them over the centuries that I am willfully ignorant or led astray. Pluck the plank from your eye and stop looking down on others from your pink cloud - you are neither my shepherd nor my savior.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#96595 Mar 19, 2013
Jehovah’s Witnesses—Who Are We?

We come from hundreds of ethnic and language backgrounds, yet we are united by common goals. Above all, we want to honor Jehovah, the God of the Bible and the Creator of all things. We do our best to imitate Jesus Christ and are proud to be called Christians. Each of us regularly spends time helping people learn about the Bible and God’s Kingdom. Because we witness, or talk, about Jehovah God and his Kingdom, we are known as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Explore our site. Read the Bible online. Learn more about us and our beliefs.
www.jw.org

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96596 Mar 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You should not make statements until you have done some research and got the facts straight. Example: You say Revelations when there is only one book with that title so it is REVELATION. Not a big deal but you refer to John as being from Patmos. Patmos was a prison and John was inprisoned there when he wrote Revelation. The same John wrote the book of John, 1John, 2John and 3John. And this John was one of Jesus' Apostles but you say he never knew Jesus!
There is no evidence that the John who was exiled to the heretic's island of Patmos was the John who wrote anything else. The syntax is different and the time frame is wrong by at least 70 years. I understand how you got confused about that, since your go-to is the NWT.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96597 Mar 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Jehovah’s Witnesses—Who Are We?
We come from hundreds of ethnic and language backgrounds, yet we are united by common goals. Above all, we want to honor Jehovah, the God of the Bible and the Creator of all things. We do our best to imitate Jesus Christ and are proud to be called Christians. Each of us regularly spends time helping people learn about the Bible and God’s Kingdom. Because we witness, or talk, about Jehovah God and his Kingdom, we are known as Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Explore our site. Read the Bible online. Learn more about us and our beliefs.
www.jw.org
Stop spamming

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96598 Mar 19, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>Rev 22:18,19
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophesy of this book: if anyone adds to these things,God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. 19) and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophesy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the Holy City, and from the things which are written in this book.
Please understand that "this book" refers to the Book of Revelation only. That was their way of copyrighting back then. Revelations was the first book written by him. So you would have to throw away his other books if you try to apply that to the entire Bible. Revelations is last in the canon because it is about the end of times. That's the only reason.
Do you realize that the Bible wasn't canonized until hundreds of years after the death of the apostles? "This book" could not have meant the KJV Bible as you know it today.

Please do not silence God. He can speak to whomever he wants. And those words should be scripture.

Location hidden

#96599 Mar 19, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Well, there you go "Do Whut".
Happy's magic book called "no adsies", therefore your magic book is null and void.

Are you guys going to keep going at it? Because if so, let me go make some popcorn and settle in. I love watching a fundie vs. fundie cage match. It's like watching midgets wrestle.
Refer to my response. And I'm not a fundie, as I hope you can perceive.

Location hidden

#96600 Mar 19, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I just realized I was being rude. I meant to say "it's like watching little people wrestle."
Thanks for the correction. Gotta make sure the bigotry is aimed at the right stereotype.

Location hidden

#96601 Mar 19, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>"You missed my point. I'm not trying to convince you there is a God. I'm just saying you can't call people less intelligent just because they believe in God."

Yes I can....
Ok, you can say it all you want. It doesn't mean you are correct

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who will you vote for as jailer 10 min Truth 34
Knox County Jail 15 min Truth 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 30 min Princess Hey 305
who will you vote for as senator 32 min Bree_Z 3
Family Court Judge 47 min really 50
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 53 min Bree_Z 3,572
Illegal coon hunting going Davis bend road 1 hr Scuzzies 8
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville Jobs