Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,206

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96697 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
You should quote your source instead of acting like you came up with that shit yourself. Just saying.
I didn't feel like it.

Copy and paste it into any search bar-it'll pop up.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96698 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
You should quote your source instead of acting like you came up with that shit yourself. Just saying.
Actually--since it is SECULAR, NOT a "religious" site-

http://www.wordlibrary.co.uk/article.php...

Just for the FACTS of record.

I have no problem giving credit where credit is due respectfully. Just NOT to ones who've done nothing to earn it.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#96699 Mar 20, 2013
Here's a question for the believers among us. A sincere question.

I like good stories. I appreciate mythology. I can use a phrase like "That was harder than the Labors of Hercules." and mean it.

Because I don't need Hercules to be *real* to find some meaning in the stories.

Do you feel the need for the god of the Bible to be *real* or can you get meaning out of the Christian tradition while simultaneously understanding that it is mythology, not history?
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96700 Mar 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't give a rats ass who you were taking to... You are only showing that you don't have the mental capacity to understand the terms of art in use by people... Truth is an Individual concept... If you think you saw a man jump off a building and you tell the police, you are telling Your Truth even if the Jumper was a woman in pants and she actually didn't jump but tripped and fell... Truth to an individual is based on Belief of what they perceive is Fact... So One Mans Truth can be total Bull Excrement when the Fact be known...
I write this with full knowledge that you will not understand but do so that others can relate when you post more asinine replies...
For once a day I have to agree, that can be verrrrrrry true!:-)
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96702 Mar 20, 2013
Yiago wrote:
Here's a question for the believers among us. A sincere question.
I like good stories. I appreciate mythology. I can use a phrase like "That was harder than the Labors of Hercules." and mean it.
Because I don't need Hercules to be *real* to find some meaning in the stories.
Do you feel the need for the god of the Bible to be *real* or can you get meaning out of the Christian tradition while simultaneously understanding that it is mythology, not history?
Personally I find plenty of good "meanings" to many of the stories, passages, parables etc in the Bible, as well as some history of the world (and humanity in it's darker times as well, which is a bit different from just mythology!!)

Guess that's why I have a hard time understanding why anyone would simply want to try and "ruin" whatever harmless GOOD others can gain for themselves from reading it.

Thank God, we do not live in a communisTic nation of censorship!!
TheMirrorBackatY ou

London, KY

#96703 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
OK then, don't quote your source but at least try to post under the same name. People that use multiple accounts are never up to any good.
Idiot.
I don't have multiple accounts, I can switch on demand.

What part of the linked source did you NOT comprehend?
TheMirrorBackatY ou

London, KY

#96704 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
OK then, don't quote your source but at least try to post under the same name. People that use multiple accounts are never up to any good.
Idiot.
The LIVING Word Library.

Kind of a NON-denominational thing.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#96705 Mar 20, 2013
Lets try this again-read slowwwwwly now.....
1. I didn't create any God. I just read the book, written by mostly men,
And its just that a book written BY MAN not so called GOD... and if he was ""real"" and he created us"" then why do you think were not all programed to believe so... answer your gonna give me is faith and free will but come on if that book you cherish so much was to tell us its OK to lets say kill your kid or your wife or husband then dose it ? HELL NO... its just a F UCKing book that dosnt mean crap it was one persons ideal of how the human race should live becuse man needs some thing to hold on to that was it a book ... That ppl force on there kids that's a joke
NephilimThinksYo ureDumb

Somerset, KY

#96706 Mar 20, 2013
TheMirrorBackatYou wrote:
<quoted text>
The LIVING Word Library.
Kind of a NON-denominational thing.
You're right, post as you please.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96707 Mar 20, 2013
ImSureYouKnowMe wrote:
Lets try this again-read slowwwwwly now.....
1. I didn't create any God. I just read the book, written by mostly men,
And its just that a book written BY MAN not so called GOD... and if he was ""real"" and he created us"" then why do you think were not all programed to believe so... answer your gonna give me is faith and free will but come on if that book you cherish so much was to tell us its OK to lets say kill your kid or your wife or husband then dose it ? HELL NO... its just a F UCKing book that dosnt mean crap it was one persons ideal of how the human race should live becuse man needs some thing to hold on to that was it a book ... That ppl force on there kids that's a joke
I like my description better with out all those cuss words and that negativity crappola.

Suggestion, You might learn something a little more worthwhile by picking up a dictionary.

And maybe just stick to trying to comprehend some of the few commandements first.

They're pretty implicit about physically hurting others intentionally...as in thou shalt NOT.

If you choose not believe in a creator, if you choose not to see beauty and choose to dwell on ugliness, that's your choice. But you do not have the right to ruin such for others, and really there's no need to be so offensive to others that mean no harm.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96708 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot.
And why would you infer that anyone was up to "no good", when all anyone is doing on this thread, is posting their opinions on various subject related matter?

That would make you yourself, up to no good as well. Are you up to no good? Is that why you're accusing someone else of it?
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96709 Mar 20, 2013
NephilimThinksYoureDumb wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, post as you please.
No right or wrong to it.

It was a link, not an a,b,c or d quiz.

(Is there some sort of permission required for those well of age, to post posts on a computer these days? Must've missed reading that one!)

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#96710 Mar 20, 2013
*sorry you dont like my curse words,but its ok i dont like your god in MY KIDS SCHOOLS

*your so stupid i didn't say it did say to i said IF IT SAID TO
(would you believe it like the rest of the crap in it ?)
* and further more i was one of those ppl that religion was forced upon and i know it well

*i see beauty every day when i look at my kids my home the wind in the trees, spring flowers blooming but not in someone/thing that don't exist its like the Easter bunny and Santa only really til you know better ><

Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#96712 Mar 20, 2013
Jehovah's Witnesses do not teach their children there is a Santa nor do we teach them there is an Easter Bunny. We teach our children the TRUTH found in God's Word the Bible.
The only day Jesus told us to honor was his death.-Luke 22:19.
As a mnatter of fact Jehovah's Witnesses will be commerating the Lord's evening meal (some call it the Lord's last supper)on Tuesday March 26th. It is open to the public and you are invited to attend it will began at sundown, ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses in your area for the exact time. There will be a lot of people there for the first time so you should not feel out of place.
Sincerely! Please do yourself a favor and attend then post on here what you thought of the meeting.

Location hidden

#96713 Mar 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses do not teach their children there is a Santa nor do we teach them there is an Easter Bunny. We teach our children the TRUTH found in God's Word the Bible.
As a mnatter of fact Jehovah's Witnesses will be commerating the Lord's evening meal (some call it the Lord's last supper)on Tuesday March 26th. It is open to the public and you are invited to attend it will began at sundown, ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses in your area for the exact time. There will be a lot of people there for the first time so you should not feel out of place.
Sincerely! Please do yourself a favor and attend then post on here what you thought of the meeting.
How do you decide that JW has the truth? If you are making that decision then you are assuming you know the mind of God on some level. Don't you leave any room for doubt?

Do you at least concede that your faith might not be the right one? If not, on what grounds do you have this ultimate Godlike knowledge? And for that matter why are Muslims wrong if they also believe they have the truth? Or Jews or Catholics or Mormons, etc.

Location hidden

#96714 Mar 21, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I find plenty of good "meanings" to many of the stories, passages, parables etc in the Bible, as well as some history of the world (and humanity in it's darker times as well, which is a bit different from just mythology!!)
Guess that's why I have a hard time understanding why anyone would simply want to try and "ruin" whatever harmless GOOD others can gain for themselves from reading it.
Thank God, we do not live in a communisTic nation of censorship!!
Sure, like any book you can find something in it that echoes a thing you feel is true. I remember watching a silly movie with the kids and in it someone makes a statement that if a father is concerned that he's not being a good father then that means he's being a good father.

Even in a silly, forgetable movie you can find something that echoes a "true" thing.

But when you attach divine authority to the book in question you put a stamp of approval on *everything* it says. You give license to people to believe things that do not echo any sort of truths among humans.

The Bible promotes slavery. One of Paul's letters is explaining how to properly own slaves. Now, we know that slavery is morally wrong. It's right up there with rape and murder. No sane person questions this, though some dubious people still practice it.

Why didn't the Bible condemn slavery? Why didn't Paul write a letter explaining that owning a human being was a sin? People rationalize this by hand waving. "Oh, everyone owned slaves back then." "Oh people weren't ready to change yet." and other BS answers. But if God is the moral authority he could have easily told us not to own slaves. He told us in one line not to kill people. But no mention of not owning people.

So if you accept this book as a divine authority then you have to take the good with the bad. Not only do you get the rule not to kill, you also get a million rules telling you *how* to be a terrible human being. How to own slaves, how to subjugate women, how to obey god even when every moral instinct in your brain screams no.

I'm fine with the Bible being a source of stories and using those stories, where appropriate, in language and in art.

But believing it is a perfect book from a divine moral authority? Hell no. People need to challenge that sh*t every step of the way. And people need to be embarrassed to claim they believe it that way.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#96715 Mar 21, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you kind of like the "Golden Rule" then too?
Do unto others as they have done unto you.
And I may have misunderstood some of your post. Not sure if you are stating that the bible should be forced on children or not.
I mainly believe that if we mind our own business instead of others business than we would get along much better
Richard Dawkins

Hazard, KY

#96716 Mar 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you decide that JW has the truth? If you are making that decision then you are assuming you know the mind of God on some level. Don't you leave any room for doubt?
Do you at least concede that your faith might not be the right one? If not, on what grounds do you have this ultimate Godlike knowledge? And for that matter why are Muslims wrong if they also believe they have the truth? Or Jews or Catholics or Mormons, etc.
He/she believes JW is the truth more than likely because they were indoctrinated from a very young age to believe so.

There are exceptions, but more often than not a person's religious beliefs are based on their demographic, the culture they live in, their parents' religious beliefs, and the amount of indoctrination they received when children.

If I taught my children the Flying Spaghetti Monster was real from a very young age, basic principal tells me they would believe it. At least (& hopefully) until they came of a age where they can think critically and rationally for themselves.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96717 Mar 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
That's interesting, since both "Santa and the Easter Bunny" were AFTER the Bible of more pagan-like additions, nice for the customary traditional reasons, but easy for people to forget just what it is that both traditions are rooted in representatation of.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96718 Mar 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, like any book you can find something in it that echoes a thing you feel is true. I remember watching a silly movie with the kids and in it someone makes a statement that if a father is concerned that he's not being a good father then that means he's being a good father.
Even in a silly, forgetable movie you can find something that echoes a "true" thing.
But when you attach divine authority to the book in question you put a stamp of approval on *everything* it says. You give license to people to believe things that do not echo any sort of truths among humans.
The Bible promotes slavery. One of Paul's letters is explaining how to properly own slaves. Now, we know that slavery is morally wrong. It's right up there with rape and murder. No sane person questions this, though some dubious people still practice it.
Why didn't the Bible condemn slavery? Why didn't Paul write a letter explaining that owning a human being was a sin? People rationalize this by hand waving. "Oh, everyone owned slaves back then." "Oh people weren't ready to change yet." and other BS answers. But if God is the moral authority he could have easily told us not to own slaves. He told us in one line not to kill people. But no mention of not owning people.
So if you accept this book as a divine authority then you have to take the good with the bad. Not only do you get the rule not to kill, you also get a million rules telling you *how* to be a terrible human being. How to own slaves, how to subjugate women, how to obey god even when every moral instinct in your brain screams no.
I'm fine with the Bible being a source of stories and using those stories, where appropriate, in language and in art.
But believing it is a perfect book from a divine moral authority? Hell no. People need to challenge that sh*t every step of the way. And people need to be embarrassed to claim they believe it that way.
That's why I think people should realize it is a book written by mostly men inspired to do so, and read it logically as such. I think it does have redemptive "teaching" qualities to learn from in living decently, peaceably and harmoniously (even if by speaking of the trials, tribulations and pitfalls humanity has endured at the hands of it's OWN creations) wich for those who chose to read that from it. It's quite obvious then, that history shows that the human race is anything but perfect-FAR far from it, no matter how much some would like to think otherwise. It certainly has it's share of characters within, of those who anyone would NOT ever wish to have to exist around as well!

I still do not see any reason to froth at the mouth in hatred over it though.
It's a BOOK, not a fanged serpent dripping some sort of poisonous venom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jim baker remodeling city hall 49 min Resident 2
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 1 hr Nasty 7
teena Marie mills 1 hr infoman 11
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,609
any women want to meet 5 hr lookeing 1
pullets and cocerels for sale, adult Buff Orpin... (Jun '13) 14 hr Deena 4
Pamela Hatfield, Michael Ramey, Brad Combs 14 hr Mother of the Year 1
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match