Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,920

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96673 Mar 20, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Than you do not believe in the god of the bible. Basicly you have made up a new god
Nope, not like that- I don't believe in trying to justify anything negative by blaming it on some God.
I believe in common sense, courtesy, respect of others and of self, priorities, self accountability, self responsibility, tolerance, patience, peacefulness, fairness, kindness, thoughtfulness and many other similar qualities.
Meaness, selfishness, spitefulness, rudeness, self-servedness, thoughtlessness, manipulativeness, chicanery, trickery and other such NOT so good stuff, I frown upon.

But that's just me personally. And actually, I'm a perhaps a tad bit agnostic, because I also personally think, if such a "horrendous" God like what you seems to wish for others to think existed-I think it would be slinging some major big hands down daily, eternally, slappping the mortal ignorance out of a whole lot of people!

So, so much for that rather childish "BS".
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96674 Mar 20, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Than you do not read the bible of the christians.
Prefer the translated KJV myself. Anyone can read it, there are no requirements to do so.
bart

Payson, AZ

#96675 Mar 20, 2013
How about exposing the kids to the beliefs and moral
codes of our pre-Christian ancestors? Try searching
Odinism, or the Havamal.

Today's churches preach diversity crackpotism.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96676 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
My comment was an attempt to make fun of how Christians claim Jesus did away with the old covenant. The fact that God ever thought any of those laws were OK just shows how warped he really is.
As far as how we got here, hell I don't know. I don't know how my laptop works so does that make it a God? The theory of evolution does sound better than the talking snake theory.
The FACT is, the Bible is a book, written and translated by the human hands of MANY, that felt inspired to do so.

The only tangible thing it "proves" about anything realistically, like any other history/philosaphical type book that has been written, is what can be gleaned from it, about life and cultures, of thousands of years ago, and what people may have experienced in some instances, to varying degrees, and the sharing of those same experiences in what they felt, learned or thought.

Wouldn't have any idea on your laptop though, some people do worship such material type things, while others, do not.

They're not Quite as amazing once anyone gets a little idea of how they actually work though :-). What can be amazing, is what can be done with them, both good and bad.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96677 Mar 20, 2013
bart wrote:
How about exposing the kids to the beliefs and moral
codes of our pre-Christian ancestors? Try searching
Odinism, or the Havamal.
Today's churches preach diversity crackpotism.
Wish they'd put common sense back in the pulpits and classrooms!

American Heritage Dictionary:
common sense

n.
Sound judgment not based on specialized knowledge; native good judgment.

[Translation of Latin s&#275;nsus comm&#363;nis, common feelings of humanity.]

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96678 Mar 20, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>God does speak to those that will listen but certainly another prophet aside from our loving living Heavenly Father is not needed just like it does no good to pray to saints and Mary. Hello. Only God our creator. Not "another" book. Just saying. My debate is not with you although I pray you discover the WHOLE TRUTH and not another mans truth who felt he needed to write his own words of God..?? In Jesus name
I'm concerned over these people's souks and nothing else. We plant seed. Someone else will water. God does the rest. Have a good day sir
Actually I think we need a prophet now more than ever. With all the different interpretations of the same Bible, it is great that there is a man like Moses, or David, that God can speak to, to lead His people.
We do not pray to the prophet. He is just a regular man. His calling in the church is just different than mine. His scope is the entire church. For example, I receive revelation for and in behalf of me, and my family as the patriarch of my home. The bishop of my local ward can receive revelation that is pertinent to our ward and the welfare of its members. The prophet receives revelation that affects the entire church. Understand? He is not to us like a saint is to a catholic.

And as far as the Book of Mormon, read it for yourself to find out if it is the word of God. I welcome other scripture that may come to light one day. Jesus told his apostles as He departed that He had to tend to other sheep not of their fold. I would imagine he travelled to several places to preach His gospel. The BOM is one account of such. I hope more surface.

Location hidden

#96679 Mar 20, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>fine, you're a "mainstream" Mormon. Feel better?
I feel great, thanks

Location hidden

#96680 Mar 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I was speaking of Lazy State Worker's condemnation of Satanic Priest when they clearly indicated that they don't even know what his beliefs are.
I was wondering why you mentioned me

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#96683 Mar 20, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not speak for others, unless requested to, it's rude and disrespectful.
I already stated I find the OT to suffice for learning some history of civilizations over the course of time as we know it. That's about it. And to dwell redundently on the negativity of it, I find almost to be a sort of socio-illogical illness. Why would anyone wish to keep harping, over and over, about such negativity?
Really. Why would anyone want to do that unto themselves even?
Which is why I much prefer the writings of the New Testament. Why stay mired in darkness, when one doesn't have to? It's not psychologically healthy. Enlightenment is by far, a much nicer state of choice to exist in.
Right, you like to pick and choose what is pleasing and ignore the hard truth.
Like I said, you created a new god. Which means your god is no more real than any other God in human history so you have no right to demand that your bible be taught as fact to innocent children

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#96684 Mar 20, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, not like that- I don't believe in trying to justify anything negative by blaming it on some God.
I believe in common sense, courtesy, respect of others and of self, priorities, self accountability, self responsibility, tolerance, patience, peacefulness, fairness, kindness, thoughtfulness and many other similar qualities.
Meaness, selfishness, spitefulness, rudeness, self-servedness, thoughtlessness, manipulativeness, chicanery, trickery and other such NOT so good stuff, I frown upon.
But that's just me personally. And actually, I'm a perhaps a tad bit agnostic, because I also personally think, if such a "horrendous" God like what you seems to wish for others to think existed-I think it would be slinging some major big hands down daily, eternally, slappping the mortal ignorance out of a whole lot of people!
So, so much for that rather childish "BS".
I used to feel like what you said, but too many times I have been run down talked down to, threatened, by the so called moral people.
Too many times have I been conned by them, too many times have I been cheated by church people.
I used to volunteer at a church and just got taken advantage of.
Now I treat people exactly as they treat me with the exeption of threats, I do not make threats I take action. If some one tells me they are going to woop my ass they better be ready to do so because i will be throwing 225 pounds (of muscle) behind my fist
Here is the simple part, dont want me to be mean do not be mean to me, dont want me to run down your cult then do not keep preaching at me after I say I do not believe, dont want me to quote the bible to you than dont tell me I am going to Hell..........

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#96685 Mar 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, this is why we believe it was necessary for the complete gospel of Jesus Christ to be restored. Because so many interpretations from the same book are not representative of a God of order that expects details to be correct. His intent was not for many denominations with partial truths. This was Satan's influence.
Jesus told us that there would be a falling away from the church and a restitution of all things before His return. We simply believe this has taken place.
Do you not think that when Martin Luther's words started the Protestant movement those folks thought they were restoring the Church? Why do you think the LDS is the correct restoration of the church?

Do any of the gaping holes in the Mormon faith not bother you? I've listed several. What about the archeology, which is 100% empty of evidence to support your book?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#96686 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its all good man. A lot of us kids that were born in decided to leave. There is an extremely high suicide rate and drug abuse with those that were born in and then left. I'm not sure why, maybe some still believed and thought God was going to kill them at any momentor maybe they couldn't handle the freedom after years of being told what to do. I think a lot of them had trouble being disowned and losing their friends and family was just to much to handle. Growing up in the cult you weren't allowed to have friends that weren't JWs so when you left you left everything you knew.
I kind of compare it to inmates that were institutionalized and re offend and go back to prison because that's all they knew. Its like Brooks in the Shawshank Redemption, he couldn't handle it and took the easy way out. Excellent movie by the way.
I appreciate you comments on this forum. I never saw the movie shawshank redemption, I will put in on my list of movies to watch .

Location hidden

#96687 Mar 20, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
... Anyone can read it, there are no requirements to do so.
Obviously

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#96689 Mar 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Understand, but I urge you to read the entire BOM from start to finish before drawing a conclusion. After all, if you don't, you are simply taking other's opinions about it rather than finding out on your own.
I was a major skeptic of the church too until I read it with an open mind.
As for the book I mentioned, you would never know the guy was a member by the way he exposes the bad as much as the good. I still recommend it.
As for the Book of Abraham, I haven't heard that reluctance part. This sounds like more of the story of the Kinderhook plates to me. Are you familiar with that episode?
The Kinderhook plates were a hoax but I'm not very familiar with that story. I know Smith thought they were real, which is a strike against any divinity he is said to have had. I mean, the guy was chosen by angels and could perform miracles right? Yet he can't pick out a fake and he lies about the Book of Abraham.

The whole thing is just funny to me. Fascinating, but funny.

I have no interest in reading the BoM. I can research it if I choose, maybe read bits of it. But I seriously doubt I'd ever take the time to read the whole thing. If there was something in there that was worth reading then respectable people I admire would have already suggested that I read it.

Strangely they have not.

And so it came to pass that I did not read it. lol
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#96690 Mar 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
One mans so called Truth is another mans Bull Shyte....
I don't think I was talking to you. From the looks of your post picture you look too ----to understand TRUTH if you were zaped on the head with it!
TheIndependentMa jority

Manchester, KY

#96691 Mar 20, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
So the verse "all scriptures are inspired by God and" blah, blah blah just means man wrote it? Jeremiah 8:8 says the lying pens of the scribes wrote it down wrong.
I understand why you call yourself blah blah blah now.
That's MY interpretation of it.

Written by mostly men, inspired to write such.

With the occasional otherwise-like-

Esther.
Thoughts on the Book of Esther.

1. There is a preparation time.
She allowed herself to be prepared for the task. God's preparation time can sometimes be long and uneventful. Moses spent 40 years in the desert looking after sheep before coming to deliver the Israelites. The refining of our characters is very essential to God's plan for our life. God cannot use a proud woman (or man).

2. We need the favour of God.
Esther found favour with the King and so did Mordecai. Even Jesus grew in favour with God and man (Luke 2:52). When you live a life pleasing to God, by obeying His will you will find favour with Him. God will also give you favour with people.

3. God works in His own time and season.
Esther also got her timing right. Maybe God has put it on your heart to do something for Him. Don't just jump into it but wait for his time. Joseph was in jail until it was God's time for him to be released. God will move in His time when we remain faithful and alert to His leading.

4. Your background does not hinder your future with God.
Esther was an orphan. God still exalted her and used her. Some of Jesus' disciples were fishermen, tax collectors and one was a doctor. Your background does not determine what God can do with you. Your faith does.

A personal favorite to learn from of mine.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#96692 Mar 20, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I was talking to you. From the looks of your post picture you look too ----to understand TRUTH if you were zaped on the head with it!
I don't give a rats ass who you were taking to... You are only showing that you don't have the mental capacity to understand the terms of art in use by people... Truth is an Individual concept... If you think you saw a man jump off a building and you tell the police, you are telling Your Truth even if the Jumper was a woman in pants and she actually didn't jump but tripped and fell... Truth to an individual is based on Belief of what they perceive is Fact... So One Mans Truth can be total Bull Excrement when the Fact be known...

I write this with full knowledge that you will not understand but do so that others can relate when you post more asinine replies...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#96693 Mar 20, 2013
stick the bible in my kids public school and they will be the first ones out it ... POINT BLANK if i wanted bible thumping teachers around my kids i wouldn't send them to public school>>> hell i don't have 1 bible in my house much less my kids school... screw >> you cant force religion on ppl cause there's hell of a alot of ppl just like me that don't believe in any of that crap.>>> call me close minded but hell if i cant see it> touch it > know its real then its not IMO
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96694 Mar 20, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Right, you like to pick and choose what is pleasing and ignore the hard truth.
Like I said, you created a new god. Which means your god is no more real than any other God in human history so you have no right to demand that your bible be taught as fact to innocent children
Lets try this again-read slowwwwwly now.....

1. I didn't create any God. I just read the book, written by mostly men, inspired to do so. In fact, I tend to lean more agnostic mostly because anyone that can surmise anything logically would surmise, we really do NOT know, completely, who or what or how even, created the universe. I do however, find great wisdom and good guidance within SOME of the pages of the good book as I READ it. Even if I was raised in a more SCIENTIFICALLY predispositioned household.

2. I never demanded the Bible be taught in schools, never was where I was raised at (excluding occasional references to writing styles or types in literature classes perhaps). Mostly because I would not like freaks like you and some of these other hater type twist and distort heatherns, teaching my kids your religious takes on anything! All that negative hate on those things what you might not agree with-oh HELL no. Stay away from the innocent children for sure!

3. So you can quit with your HATE and bait fest now, because you have no good reason to be hating on me!

Or was it the "if science does not know for sure, why do yo think you, or anyone else would" question? Be honest now.
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96696 Mar 20, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I used to feel like what you said, but too many times I have been run down talked down to, threatened, by the so called moral people.
Too many times have I been conned by them, too many times have I been cheated by church people.
I used to volunteer at a church and just got taken advantage of.
Now I treat people exactly as they treat me with the exeption of threats, I do not make threats I take action. If some one tells me they are going to woop my ass they better be ready to do so because i will be throwing 225 pounds (of muscle) behind my fist
Here is the simple part, dont want me to be mean do not be mean to me, dont want me to run down your cult then do not keep preaching at me after I say I do not believe, dont want me to quote the bible to you than dont tell me I am going to Hell..........
So, you kind of like the "Golden Rule" then too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many kindergarten teachers at Lay? 1 hr briar 15
judy basinger (Jul '09) 1 hr roaddog 74 18
who's the best lay from the creek 2 hr tinsel 7
Bastards 2 hr Dummies 1
Brett 3 hr Obvious 6
dinky phipps 4 hr Yep 4
VCR tapes to DVD tapes 7 hr Jackie 1
Who is the best looking woman in knox co. (Feb '10) 16 hr Lisa 185
To the Garland family 17 hr jack 7
Barbourville Dating