Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 134,217

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#96522 Mar 19, 2013
"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."

This quote by a founding father is even more true in this day and age when lighthouses are rarely used.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#96523 Mar 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Resorting to threats and scare tactics is proof that the god of your cult does not exist
Yep, we non-believers would run amuck without fear of punishment and hope of reward after we die.
its true

Charleston, WV

#96524 Mar 19, 2013
id rahter be in hell than heaven with all the so called rightous sinners
Blahblahblah

Manchester, KY

#96526 Mar 19, 2013
Interesting fact of the day-

The new Pope has only one lung.

Bless his heart.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#96527 Mar 19, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
According to both Calvin and Luther your actions don't really mean that much. You basically have no control at all, otherwise you elevate yourself closer to being like God. Rather, you are utterly depraived and utterly in his control.
They do say that your actions can only reflect the grace you may or may not be given but it surely does not influence it.
Also, let's pretend I rape a child. Let's say I'm possessed with this intense lust for children. So I do it. Then, racked with guilt and repentance, I pray and find salvation. Then I fall away and rape again. Then I come back to Christ.
Rinse and repeat.
At what point does Jesus say enough is enough? Based on my understanding of Christianity and what I've been taught in various churches Jesus will NEVER say that. So in theory I could commit the most horrible crimes imaginable and still end up in Heaven.
That is why I reject any argument that religion is a required element of morality. It clearly does not prevent bad behavior. And since I know for a fact you can be moral without religion I have no particular reason to think religion has anything to do with morality at all.
Consider that in my example a repeating child rapist can still end up in heaven, no matter how many lives he shatters. But if he ever rejects God then he ends up in Hell.
That tells me something important about the nature of God: he's kind of an a**hole. Who wants to devote his life to an a**hole?
You show no scriptures to support your suposition only faulty religious beliefs.
You could use a serious Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses to clear away all the nonsense you THINK the Bible teaches. You would be surprised at what the TRUTH can do for you, John 8:31,32 And so Jesus went on to say to the Jews that had believed him:“If YOU remain in my word, YOU are really my disciples, 32 and YOU will know the truth, and the truth will set YOU free
wow

Charleston, WV

#96528 Mar 19, 2013
weel now thats hunky dorey.... only in print is the
untruth on religion the scientist have proven evolution is a fcat. when u so call believers wake up u will be in the dark

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96529 Mar 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You show no scriptures to support your suposition only faulty religious beliefs.
You could use a serious Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses to clear away all the nonsense you THINK the Bible teaches. You would be surprised at what the TRUTH can do for you, John 8:31,32 And so Jesus went on to say to the Jews that had believed him:“If YOU remain in my word, YOU are really my disciples, 32 and YOU will know the truth, and the truth will set YOU free
LOL
The thought of a JW clearing anything up is hilarious to me. You're operating under the premise that the Bible is something that could be interpreted correctly to begin with.
What makes you so sure that your magic book is the right answer and all the other magic books out there are wrong?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#96530 Mar 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You show no scriptures to support your suposition only faulty religious beliefs.
You could use a serious Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses to clear away all the nonsense you THINK the Bible teaches. You would be surprised at what the TRUTH can do for you, John 8:31,32 And so Jesus went on to say to the Jews that had believed him:“If YOU remain in my word, YOU are really my disciples, 32 and YOU will know the truth, and the truth will set YOU free
The truth WOULD set you free if you would stop quoting scripture as if it were proof of the veracity of gospel. Your stance is akin to saying a dog is a tree and then puffing out your chest when it says, "Bark!"
wow

Charleston, WV

#96531 Mar 19, 2013
magic being the key word
Saracen

Camby, IN

#96532 Mar 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I am a Satanic Priest and I breath just fine.
If you really believed your crap than why do you cling to life and get upset when some one dies, shouldn't you rejoice instead?
yes, you are to morn a birth and rejoice in death.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#96533 Mar 19, 2013
OK now this is too funny.
In the supermarket a middle aged woman looked at my Baphomet and called 911 to report a devil worshiper. She thought that since I do not go to her church that I should be arrested.
I could not hear what the 911 operator said but the woman said "no, he is just laughing at me"
I was laughing, than I said "BOO" and went about my shopping.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96534 Mar 19, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligence and gullibility are neither mutually dependent nor mutually exclusive. However, it is a telling point that those who we now regard as the greatest minds in history are not renowned for sitting in the back of the church - nor in the front of one.
What is a higher power? Only a fool does not recognize that there are powers greater than ourselves. Try to climb Mount Everest solo, complete Einstein's Unified Field Theory, don't pay the IRS, lick a light socket, argue with your mother in law.... Have faith in a higher power? Sure, one can have faith that gravity will not fail, that a vehicle will follow laws of motion, that the Earth will spin and the sun will rise. Have faith in a Higher Power? Seriously? You think that putting an omniscient, omnipotent, para-eternal personality in the straight jacket of a human written book is in any way or possibility convincing?
I contend that in the pursuit of becoming a power greater than ourselves, humans take the easiest and shortest route. Call it theology, mythology, spiritualism, mysticism, whatever - we create Gods in our own image. Perhaps I do not accept the fantasies because I don't believe in circumventing reality to reach a desired conclusion, or maybe it's just because (I'll be the first to admit that) I've never been a good liar.
You missed my point. I'm not trying to convince you there is a God. I'm just saying you can't call people less intelligent just because they believe in God.
I've already told you that there is no proof that God exists, nor is there proof that He doesn't. We should all agree with that. Faith does not equal intelligence, just like lack of faith does not equal intelligence.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96535 Mar 19, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
According to both Calvin and Luther your actions don't really mean that much. You basically have no control at all, otherwise you elevate yourself closer to being like God. Rather, you are utterly depraived and utterly in his control.
They do say that your actions can only reflect the grace you may or may not be given but it surely does not influence it.
Also, let's pretend I rape a child. Let's say I'm possessed with this intense lust for children. So I do it. Then, racked with guilt and repentance, I pray and find salvation. Then I fall away and rape again. Then I come back to Christ.
Rinse and repeat.
At what point does Jesus say enough is enough? Based on my understanding of Christianity and what I've been taught in various churches Jesus will NEVER say that. So in theory I could commit the most horrible crimes imaginable and still end up in Heaven.
That is why I reject any argument that religion is a required element of morality. It clearly does not prevent bad behavior. And since I know for a fact you can be moral without religion I have no particular reason to think religion has anything to do with morality at all.
Consider that in my example a repeating child rapist can still end up in heaven, no matter how many lives he shatters. But if he ever rejects God then he ends up in Hell.
That tells me something important about the nature of God: he's kind of an a**hole. Who wants to devote his life to an a**hole?
If you repeat the crime, then repentance never happened, as I described before.

I don't subscribe to a religion that believes works are not important. The scriptures say faith without works is dead. Works alone do not provide salvation, but faith without works means there never was really faith.

I hope this helps you understand my stance.
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

#96536 Mar 19, 2013
ky girl wrote:
this would be a good thing.when i went to school we had a lady come once a week, she didnt teach religion, she told bible stories,it was a good break,she told the stories with pictures, also the first thing in the morning, we sang songs said the pledge for about 15 minutes.it set the tone for the day,as a child grows into adult hood,they will adopt their own beliefs,this is a stepping stone. they will believe in something, why not let them start with the goods things, if they dont hear good things when they are small, they wont know they have a choice.as i got older and heard different things,i choose what was to me the best,our children need a good positive in their lives.for some it will be the only time they will hear the name god, jesus, lord.at least they will have a choice.
What if instead of teaching about the Christian God they taught about the Muslim God, or Buddah, or whatever? Would you want that? What if they taught only about the Catholic God or the Baptist God? Would you want that? If you send your child to school to learn to read, write, add, etc. you should not have to worry about someone choosing their religion, that is not the responsibility nor the place of the public school. You teach that to your child at home. If you want them to learn in a religous setting then you send them to a private religous school. You don't force your beliefs on other children, what you may think is good and right may not be good and right to others, so keep it out of the school.
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

#96537 Mar 19, 2013
Saracen wrote:
<quoted text> yes, you are to morn a birth and rejoice in death.
I don't believe that and I don't believe that God teaches that. I believe life is a gift, the earth is a gift, it is not something to mourn. We mourn losing our loved ones because we won't get to see them anymore. I think you can twist the Bible to make it say whatever you want it to say. God is is the trees, the sky, the sunrise, sunset, mountains, oceans, seasons. So don't quote the Bible to me and think that is the proof, it is not. You may not be understanding it correctly, or it may have not been translated correctly by King James.
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

#96538 Mar 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
OK now this is too funny.
In the supermarket a middle aged woman looked at my Baphomet and called 911 to report a devil worshiper. She thought that since I do not go to her church that I should be arrested.
I could not hear what the 911 operator said but the woman said "no, he is just laughing at me"
I was laughing, than I said "BOO" and went about my shopping.
Why do you worship evil? YOu are going to burn in hell.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96539 Mar 19, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply. I understand the phone thing. I cannot even do this with my current phone because the stupid Topix app is a total disaster on the Android.
Do you not think baptisms for the dead is offensive to non Mormons? Let me tell you very clearly: if someone I loved was used in one of these silly ceremonies I would be livid. Not because I think baptism does anything at all other than get you wet, but because it is an insult to the person's memory. It's like a sneak attack. Can't get 'em in life, let's go after their corpse.
If your church does not do this then good for your church. Now ask your church to denounce the practice and I'll be more impressed.
Regarding other questions, I would like to know how you deal with the Book of Abraham. Smith's translation of the papyri was totally wrong. Not even in the same ballpark. How can that be possible if he is a Prophet of God?
And there's no such thing as "Reformed Egyptian". He made that up. How does that square with his holy standing?
Doesn't work well on the iPhone either.

Yes I can see how it could be offensive to Non-Mormons because they don't understand that it doesn't make them Mormon, it just gives them the opportunity to accept it. Otherwise, it means nothing. I'm in that situation now.

We are urged to only do work for people in our own geneaology to avoid offending others. We believe in the sealing powers that last beyond the graves. We believe it is God's will to link all generations together all the way back to Adam, so the practice would never be denounced. But as I said, you will have the right to choose to accept it or not, just like you have the right to do it on your own now.

As for the Book of Abraham, I don't believe that statement is accurate. There were sources that were close friends with the prophet that said he put aside the scrolls that were not pertinent to the work he was called to do. We know for sure there was a lot of junk in the lot that he bought, so not all of it was important.

Reformed Egyptian was what the people of the Book of Mormon called their langueage, which they said admittedly changed over the years from what their ancestors used. The original plates were abridged by Mormon and his son Moroni, some of which, hundreds of years after they were written. So it seems possible to me that the language could have been completely different by then. They didn't have formal schools then.

I look at how things could happen. As I said, if Christians like myself can believe the things in the Bible (especially Old Testament) happened, then the things that happened with the Book of Mormon are certainly believable.

I realize that this isn't an argument for someone that doesn't believe the Bible isn't true, you don't have to remind me. I'm aware. I'm just comparing.
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

#96540 Mar 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Sinse yourngod is not real you do not have the right to force your dilusions on to others.
You should be in a mental institution.
And just whothefu ck are you to tell me to move on?
How can you believe in Satan and not God? HUH? I don't get that. I mean I worship God and not Satan, but I believe there IS A satan, how could I believe in God and not Satan? Good and Evil. That is what they are. You worship Evil.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96541 Mar 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>And if only the christian cult thought this way. The christian cult (not to be confused with christians who believe in their god) likes to pick and choose from the bible to justify themselves, ignoring the parts that do not fit their lifestyle.
In all four gospels jesus stated that not until heaven and earth pass away will the law pass away. It is plain and clear what he was talking about is the jewish laws. Yet people say that they are not under the old testament. Pick and choose.
When it comes to money they will cheat old people (well any one) and than say "that is business" they will lie, and lets not forget killing "for god" (defense contractors do not post earnings, how much profit do you think they made just from Iraq?)
The different interpretations of the Bible was the sole reason Joseph Smith had trouble picking which one to attend. The whole story of his first vision centers around this. When he asked which church to join, he was answered "none of them". He was told they had pieces of the truth but that the fulness of the gospel would be restored and would be done through him.

The Law of Moses was fulfilled with the atonement of Jesus Christ. The Law of Moses was not the entire Old Testament however. Also the Jews had their own traditions that they had added and complicated the law, that even Jesus said was unnecessary.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96542 Mar 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Is there true Christians in Mormons, and Catholics???
I'm sure there may be a few!
If any of them actually read the Bible...
They'd know that there is parts of it that expressly
forbid their beliefs... ie "another Gospel of Jesus", and
"Changing Laws, and dates"!
As far as ALL of us being "Whacko"...
Remember that when the Weeping, and gnashing of teeth begins!
Where does the Bible forbid "another Gospel of Jesus"?

What laws and dates?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Cecil Baker (May '11) 23 min Mark 96
wreck at fighting creek 23 min glen 1
if you filed at Branstutter go check ur status 35 min CAdams 26
do you know her? (Aug '08) 57 min Shelia 28
Does any one know a girl by the name Melissa Ga... (Aug '08) 1 hr TMZ 34
Hidy 2 hr Yupp 1
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Diva 3,736
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 9 hr Anti-Obama 68

Flood Warning for Knox County was issued at February 26 at 3:35PM EST

Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:08 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:08AM
How Bengals Can Create Ultimate Defense in 2015
NFL 9:15 AM
Titans LT Michael Roos announces retirement
NBC Sports 9:17 AM
Michael Roos announces retirement
Bleacher Report 9:36 AM
Titans OT Roos Announces Retirement After 10 Seasons
Yahoo! Sports 9:46 AM
Titans left tackle Michael Roos retires after 10 seasons