Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
92,081 - 92,100 of 128,962 Comments Last updated 50 min ago
Eplurbishwatever

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
They also say God is mean and evil and kills...Like the tower they mentioned reaching Heaven. Like that could happen lol. They turn it into what they want... Heck even some "Christians" do that...but at least get story right :-)
Only for those that might read such literally at a fifth grade level of miscomprehension, with out understanding enough to realize that such terms should perhaps be read figuratively, rather than just "see spot run" literally.
Or maybe perhaps some phrases ARE, just that simple, as "see spot run"....and only distorted via the ILLogical.

heav·en (hvn)
n.
1. The sky or universe as seen from the earth; the firmament.

"One persons opinion, is just that, and nothing else.".

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me help you with this. You politely say "I disagree, here's why:"
Sir, while we do not agree, I would like to say that your conversation is not ...well like the other fundies posting here. You show intelligence and that you are decent. I respect YOU as a person. Please do not take the general statements that I make personally as they are not meant for people like you.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this, I'd have... well, I'd have a lot of nickels.
I know this is a waste of time. But, I'll bite anyway.
From Apes? Not exactly how it works. Both modern man and modern apes evolved from the same ancestor at some point in our pasts.
From Monkeys? No, no one has ever said that (other than ignorant fundamentalists who live for straw man arguments)
And yes, we all know that you fundies find it hilarious. It's sad to me though. Your amusement is based on ignorance. I suppose it would be different if you understood Darwin's theory and disagreed with it. But that is typically not the case.
You can not expect people who do not read their own bible yet spout non sense to be able to read and understand scientific writing.(I will admitt that I have not read Darwin, but I do read Jung) They would rather say stupid things and than stick their fingers in their ears and say na na na na na

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
We can water but the soil must accept lol. They r all In denial. It's usually because ppl don't want to b accountable for their sins. This post been going on for months. Denial is easier for them sadly
This comment is proof that the christian cult brain washes its sheep
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

EplurbisGawduraduhmazz wrote:
<quoted text>
Might want to cleanse yourself of the mires of ignorance in your own hate filled eyes.
It is blaringly obvious, you are abjectly clueless to any REAL aspects of truth of reality.
Start READING for YOURSELF-
THE VATICAN LIBRARY.......
and every book they have is the ones they deemed ok and didnt burn. u are so clueless it is not funny anymore. and just cuz the new pope wants a poor church says nothing of the billions and billions they have other than they are gonna act poor now and quit helpin as much i guess. and i see u dodge the 10% thing cuz u were proven wrong on it so i forgive u, i knew u did have the knowledge for this conversation to start. i pointed that out to u in the beginning. but i do atleast try to show u some truths in hopes u will read your bible and see its not so loving and carin like they want u to believe.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No offense, but that is a bunch LDS propaganda. Step outside the LDS circles and you will find that nobody takes the Book of Abraham seriously. Smith did not have any idea how to read ancient Egyptian. In fact nobody at the time had figured it out.

The LDS itself wanted to have the papyri translated to validate their Prophet. But it turns out he was wrong. It had nothing at all to do with Abraham.

And this argument that *some* of the papyri were related to Abraham, and kept separate...that's just batty. Do you not see that this is a post hoc rationalization?

Smith was an obvious fraud. I don't know how an otherwise intelligent person could not see that.

And we're just talking about one little element of the fraud. We could go into a slew of other problems with the BoM. Everything from "white and delightsome" skin color to where in the heck are the archeological remnants of the battles that Smith describes taking place *right here* the USA?

It's a very, very silly religion. Luckily nobody takes it too seriously so most Mormons are just regular people. But it has to take a lot of energy to carry around that much cognitive dissonance every day.
You should read a book called Rough Stone Rolling. Then we can talk about Joseph. Maybe it will help you to not believe everything you read on the Internet.

Nobody takes it seriously? Mormons were so prosperous in the 1800's that most everyone related to politics wanted them out of their area. Women and children were killed because of ignorance. Mormons eventually felt compelled to walk thousands of miles in below zero conditions to a desert wasteland where no one would bother them. They settled in the Salt Lake Valley because of how unattractive it was. That seems pretty serious to me.
A fast growing church of 13 million members worldwide with the same structure as the Church that Jesus set up, 12 apostles, quorums of seventy, teachers, deacons, and priests, etc. Claiming to be the restoration of Jesus' Gospel as the Bible foretells must happen before His return. Restoring temples, priesthood authority, revelation from God to man, sounds like a serious religion to me.

Learning more about this church may help people to see the similarities in what Jesus intended a church to be. A massive force, though humbly silent, that lends service to tragedies around the world. Non-paid ministry where the local Bishop has a job so your tithing money isn't going to his car payment, or cell phone bill. Marriage for time and all eternity instead of til death do you part. It's all very interesting to anyone that wants to know what the church actually is about. It took me 25 years to seek out for myself what they teach rather than what people told me they believe. Sorry it is "silly" to you. I hope you decide to find out on your own one day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say I think Mormons had *better* morals. Most people in general are morally good, for the most part. It has nothing to do with their religion.

And Kolob does relate to your salvation. It is part of one of your accepted holy books, written by the man you believe is next in line to Jesus Christ as a Prophet of God. So I would think that anything he wrote would be relevant. I know Kolob is embarrassing to talk about, but it's part of the baggage you have to defend.

So where is it? Can you find it on a star map? Is it a star or a planet? Are there Kolobians, or is it a lifeless world?

Will you some day get your own planet?

And why did God wait for the Civil Rights movement to inspire your Prophets to stop being racists? Isn't that a little...convenient?

Help me out here. I don't think you have horns, but I think you believe some really silly things that don't make any sense, particularly in 2013.
We don't know anything about Kolob other than it is a planet close to God. Sorry, I wish I knew more.

Will I be a god? Jesus said we are all gods. He reminded His disciples of that Psalm while on earth. It doesn't mean we are greater than God. We are subject to Him. But it makes sense if we are children of God and we are supposed to inherit all that He has, then we would grow up to be like Him in the eternities.

Most of the revelations that Joseph received (or any prophet) was after they thought about things themselves and asked in prayer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Sir, while we do not agree, I would like to say that your conversation is not ...well like the other fundies posting here. You show intelligence and that you are decent. I respect YOU as a person. Please do not take the general statements that I make personally as they are not meant for people like you.
Thanks. I will try not to, though they still seem to group me in your Christian stereotype.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read a book called Rough Stone Rolling. Then we can talk about Joseph. Maybe it will help you to not believe everything you read on the Internet.
Nobody takes it seriously? Mormons were so prosperous in the 1800's that most everyone related to politics wanted them out of their area. Women and children were killed because of ignorance. Mormons eventually felt compelled to walk thousands of miles in below zero conditions to a desert wasteland where no one would bother them. They settled in the Salt Lake Valley because of how unattractive it was. That seems pretty serious to me.
A fast growing church of 13 million members worldwide with the same structure as the Church that Jesus set up, 12 apostles, quorums of seventy, teachers, deacons, and priests, etc. Claiming to be the restoration of Jesus' Gospel as the Bible foretells must happen before His return. Restoring temples, priesthood authority, revelation from God to man, sounds like a serious religion to me.
Learning more about this church may help people to see the similarities in what Jesus intended a church to be. A massive force, though humbly silent, that lends service to tragedies around the world. Non-paid ministry where the local Bishop has a job so your tithing money isn't going to his car payment, or cell phone bill. Marriage for time and all eternity instead of til death do you part. It's all very interesting to anyone that wants to know what the church actually is about. It took me 25 years to seek out for myself what they teach rather than what people told me they believe. Sorry it is "silly" to you. I hope you decide to find out on your own one day.
I specifically said no one takes the Book of Abraham seriously, I didn't say no one takes Mormonism seriously.

I am aware of the hate and persecution early Mormons faced. People can be really stupid in groups when they do not understand other groups. And when your group claims that their leader was visited by an angel, translated a lost gospel, and are to inherit their own planets you gotta expect that people will look at you funny. Throw in magic underoos and things get real dicey.

I don't agree with persecution. I do agree with discourse. Free speech is the poison of blind faith.

I've studied the LDS, casually. I know about a bunch of your beliefs and I do find them silly. I also find Baptist, Catholic, and Jewish traditions silly as well.

To be totally honest I don't find your faith any more or less weird than I do the casual local Baptist. I do find it strange when people seek out and join religions. Usually people are trying to get out, not in. But sometimes it goes the other way.

There are some interesting things about LDS, though. I mean, the most obvious religion you can compare it to is Scientology. Both are recent, both founded by people of dubious character, and both have strange science fiction-based ideas. Smith was more of a Bible fan, so he tried to make his story sound Biblical. Hubbard was an actual science fiction writer so he made his stuff sound more "sciencey".

Both religions are very insular, discouraging criticism. Both require donations from their adherents. Not just asking for, but requiring. And both are very hard to leave. I've listened to or read a lot of interviews with former Mormons who say that getting your name removed from that 13 million roster is harder than getting a cable guy to give you a solid window time for when he's going to show up at your house.

Question: Does the 13 million include all the dead people you baptize into your faith?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this book written by an LDS apologist, or an actual historian? I love a good biography, but I have no interest in being proselytized to. I've learned far too much about the way these types of religions work to trust that anything they write internally can be objective.

If it is written by a non biased source I'd consider actually reading it. But if the author has a story to sell me about his Prophet I'm really not interested.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I specifically said no one takes the Book of Abraham seriously, I didn't say no one takes Mormonism seriously.
I am aware of the hate and persecution early Mormons faced. People can be really stupid in groups when they do not understand other groups. And when your group claims that their leader was visited by an angel, translated a lost gospel, and are to inherit their own planets you gotta expect that people will look at you funny. Throw in magic underoos and things get real dicey.
I don't agree with persecution. I do agree with discourse. Free speech is the poison of blind faith.
I've studied the LDS, casually. I know about a bunch of your beliefs and I do find them silly. I also find Baptist, Catholic, and Jewish traditions silly as well.
To be totally honest I don't find your faith any more or less weird than I do the casual local Baptist. I do find it strange when people seek out and join religions. Usually people are trying to get out, not in. But sometimes it goes the other way.
There are some interesting things about LDS, though. I mean, the most obvious religion you can compare it to is Scientology. Both are recent, both founded by people of dubious character, and both have strange science fiction-based ideas. Smith was more of a Bible fan, so he tried to make his story sound Biblical. Hubbard was an actual science fiction writer so he made his stuff sound more "sciencey".
Both religions are very insular, discouraging criticism. Both require donations from their adherents. Not just asking for, but requiring. And both are very hard to leave. I've listened to or read a lot of interviews with former Mormons who say that getting your name removed from that 13 million roster is harder than getting a cable guy to give you a solid window time for when he's going to show up at your house.
Question: Does the 13 million include all the dead people you baptize into your faith?
With the number of baptist preachers and youth ministers caught having sex with little girls and the number of catholic priest having sex with little boys I would be hard pressed to say that the LDS are worse, just different. And I do think that there are "spin offs" that make their own stuff up, much like the spin offs of the other cults.
If every one followed my rule that every ones rights end where others begin and you may not violate the rights of another the world would be better off but I am just a simple Satanic Priest so what do I know

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>With the number of baptist preachers and youth ministers caught having sex with little girls and the number of catholic priest having sex with little boys I would be hard pressed to say that the LDS are worse, just different. And I do think that there are "spin offs" that make their own stuff up, much like the spin offs of the other cults.
If every one followed my rule that every ones rights end where others begin and you may not violate the rights of another the world would be better off but I am just a simple Satanic Priest so what do I know
I heard an interview with the guy who runs the official Church of Satan. It was about 5 or 6 years ago on a podcast called Point of Inquiry. He seemed like a pretty rational guy, very intelligent and likable. He basically said that Satanists were just atheists who liked theatrics. Just remembered that...

Well, I do agree about the LDS probably being no worse than any others. I really don't think Mormons are shocking people. They tend to have a really vanilla culture. But I do think they are a strange, strange study in weirdness. Given that their religion is so new and we can trace it back to a single man we have a much more comprehensive understanding of where this sect came from than we do of some of the more ancient religions, like Judaism.

I know there are probably a lot of LDS spinoff groups too. There was a podcast called Irreligiosophy put on by two former Mormons who are now atheists. They did a TON of episodes dissecting the LDS history and doctrines. Anyway, the main host's family was actually some kind of orthodox or fundamentalist Mormon sect. They rejected the LDS because they had "fallen away" from the original teachings. So they were more Mormon than Mormon, lol.

http://www.irreligiosophy.com/

Here's the Peter H. Gilmore Satanism podcast:

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/peter_h_gilmore...

And this one is interesting:

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/don_webb_devils...
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>This comment is proof that the christian cult brain washes its sheep
:-)
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

I have a question for "Satanic Priest". You call yourself a "Priest", is that title of a Religion or Cult? Just wondering!
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Something new I found on JW's beliefs. jW's are not born again christians.

The Watchtower insists that only the anointed are "born again," and that, technically, Jesus is the mediator for that small group alone.

They teach that the great crowd cannot look to Jesus as their mediator (Watchtower, 1 April 1979, p. 31).

Instead, the average Jehovah's Witness believes that he must "come to Jehovah's organization for salvation" (Watchtower, 15 November 1981, p. 21).

http://www.watchman.org/jw/jwanoint.htm
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I think I'm speaking pretty openly about everything.
Have you read the Book of Mormon? I don't remember thinking it was silly, even when I wasn't a member.
The whole reason the church is appearing mainstream, is because the members are much more visible, and for the first time in 200 years, people are seeing that we aren't as weird as we were thought to be.
People actually thought we had horns, aren't allowed to dance, don't use electricity, etc.
If you believe Mormons are good people, why wouldn't you want to know what drives their values to be so high, instead of attacking what you THINK they believe?
God says you will know His people by their fruits.
The reason I personally think Kolob is irrelevant is because it doesn't affect my salvation.
What fruits should one look for as proof that the LDS are God's people?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
Something new I found on JW's beliefs. jW's are not born again christians.
The Watchtower insists that only the anointed are "born again," and that, technically, Jesus is the mediator for that small group alone.
They teach that the great crowd cannot look to Jesus as their mediator (Watchtower, 1 April 1979, p. 31).
Instead, the average Jehovah's Witness believes that he must "come to Jehovah's organization for salvation" (Watchtower, 15 November 1981, p. 21).
http://www.watchman.org/jw/jwanoint.htm
The problem is many religions of Christendom teach that all good peopple go to heaven. That is erronous because the Bible teaches that those who go to heaven are to be rulers with Jesus Rev.5:10
Moses was the “mediator” of the Law covenant made between God and the nation of Israel.(Gal. 3:19, 20) Christ, though, is the “mediator of a new covenant” between Jehovah and spiritual Israel, the “Israel of God” that will serve as kings and priests in heaven with Jesus.(Heb. 8:6; 9:15; 12:24; Gal. 6:16) At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the “one mediator between God and men.”(1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word “mediator” in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is “mediator.” So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the “mediator” only for anointed Christians.
The new covenant will terminate with the glorification of the remnant who are today in that covenant mediated by Christ. The “great crowd” of “other sheep” that is forming today is not in that new covenant. However, by their associating with the “little flock” of those yet in that covenant they come under benefits that flow from that new covenant. During the millennium Jesus Christ will be their king, high priest and judge.
Matthew 5:5 and Psalm 37:29
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
the average Jehovah's Witness believes that he must "come to Jehovah's organization for salvation" (Watchtower, 15 November 1981, p. 21).
The following is a direct quote from the Watchtower Nov. 15, 1981 pages 20,21 par 15
INCREASED ACTIVITY
15 Included as part of God’s will for our day is the fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy:“This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”(Matt. 24:14) To true Christians, these prophetic words are, in effect, a command to tell others about the good news of God’s kingdom and the incoming new order. And it certainly has been obeyed by Jehovah’s Witnesses in these “last days.”(2 Tim. 3:1; compare Matthew 28:19, 20.) Unselfishly they have used their time and resources to instruct others about God’s marvelous purpose for this earth. As a result of all this hard work, upwards of five million persons throughout the world expressed interest in God’s new order and his provision for salvation through Jesus Christ by meeting together this past April to observe the Memorial of Christ’s death.
16 As Jehovah’s forward-moving organization approaches the final years of its preaching activity toward this world, there is no doubt that the scope of the work will grow. Recall what the Israelites were instructed to do just before God destroyed Jericho. First, they were instructed to march around the city once a day for six days. But then they were told:“On the seventh day you should march round the city seven times and the priests should blow the horns. And it must occur that when they sound with the horn of the ram, when you hear the sound of the horn, all the people should shout a great war cry; and the wall of the city must fall down flat.”—Josh. 6:2-5.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

cont.
17 On that seventh and last day, the Israelites were to increase their activity seven times! Then they were to “shout a great war cry.” Exactly as instructed, they did this.“It came about on the seventh day that they proceeded to get up early, as soon as the dawn ascended, and they went marching round the city in this manner seven times.... And it came about on the seventh time that the priests blew the horns, and Joshua proceeded to say to the people:‘Shout; for Jehovah has given you the city.’... And it came about that as soon as the people heard the sound of the horn and the people began to shout a great war cry, then the wall began to fall down flat.”—Josh. 6:15, 16, 20.
18 We can expect a similar expansion of our preaching activity now, at this climax of the ages. No doubt, before the “great tribulation” is finished, we will see the greatest witness to God’s name and kingdom in the history of this world. And while now the witness yet includes the invitation to come to Jehovah’s organization for salvation, the time no doubt will come when the message takes on a harder tone, like a “great war cry.” Revelation 16:21 shows that “a great hail with every stone about the weight of a talent [nearly 100 pounds] descended out of heaven upon the men, and the men blasphemed God due to the plague of hail, because the plague of it was unusually great.” Hailstones are frozen, hardened water. So this pictures how, at the end, Jehovah’s judgment message sent down upon disobedient mankind will be like a barrage of hard-hitting hail. The fact that the plague of hailstones is spoken of as being “unusually great” suggests that at the very end there will be a hard proclamation of Jehovah’s “day of vengeance” by Jehovah’s servants.
19 So, then, we do well to say, as Peter did,“Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought you to be in holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion”!(2 Pet. 3:11) Surely, we need to “keep comforting one another and building one another up.” We should “always pursue what is good toward one another.”(1 Thess. 5:11, 15)“Really, then, as long as we have time favorable for it, let us work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith.”(Gal. 6:10) To this end, do not fail to ‘stay awake and keep your senses.’—1 Thess. 5:6.

Make of it what you will!
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Annointed Elder Publicly Reproved

Only the 144,000 can commit a sin against the Holy spirit?

Those who willfully and knowingly blaspheme God’s spirit can never be forgiven. And Paul wrote:“If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment.”(Heb. 10:26, 27) Such unforgivable sin is evidently what John referred to as “sin that does incur death.”—1 John 5:16.

If an anointed Christian sinned against the spirit, practicing willful sin without repentance and ‘impaling the Son of God afresh,’ God would completely and forever reject him.(Heb. 6:4-6) Not being repentant, he would not be reinstated.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experience...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

78 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min The Apostle 147,018
john sowders 14 min not surprised 3
1 Blessing From God 17 min Stephen Levi 12
New club in Barbourville? 50 min hollar crawler 5
sweet candy corn 52 min seller 1
People on social media showing off their perfec... (Jan '14) 1 hr AKu 23
GRUBB TRUCKING NEW Post 2 hr Ten Four 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••