Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,887

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#96416 Mar 18, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, you happily imprison the mind.
"Imprison"?
No!
It's never been more free!
See... I know this life is not the end...
Just the selection process for the next!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#96417 Mar 18, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Delusions have that effect on people....
Haha
Hold that thought!
We'll see who's deluded!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96418 Mar 18, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Is this book written by an LDS apologist, or an actual historian? I love a good biography, but I have no interest in being proselytized to. I've learned far too much about the way these types of religions work to trust that anything they write internally can be objective.

If it is written by a non biased source I'd consider actually reading it. But if the author has a story to sell me about his Prophet I'm really not interested.
There is no unbiased source on any subject. Haha
He is a member of the church but isn't afraid to present the good and bad and let you make up your own mind.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#96420 Mar 18, 2013
Good day to you all...
Hope you find the Lord!
Amen!

Location hidden

#96421 Mar 18, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I specifically said no one takes the Book of Abraham seriously, I didn't say no one takes Mormonism seriously.

I am aware of the hate and persecution early Mormons faced. People can be really stupid in groups when they do not understand other groups. And when your group claims that their leader was visited by an angel, translated a lost gospel, and are to inherit their own planets you gotta expect that people will look at you funny. Throw in magic underoos and things get real dicey.

I don't agree with persecution. I do agree with discourse. Free speech is the poison of blind faith.

I've studied the LDS, casually. I know about a bunch of your beliefs and I do find them silly. I also find Baptist, Catholic, and Jewish traditions silly as well.

To be totally honest I don't find your faith any more or less weird than I do the casual local Baptist. I do find it strange when people seek out and join religions. Usually people are trying to get out, not in. But sometimes it goes the other way.

There are some interesting things about LDS, though. I mean, the most obvious religion you can compare it to is Scientology. Both are recent, both founded by people of dubious character, and both have strange science fiction-based ideas. Smith was more of a Bible fan, so he tried to make his story sound Biblical. Hubbard was an actual science fiction writer so he made his stuff sound more "sciencey".

Both religions are very insular, discouraging criticism. Both require donations from their adherents. Not just asking for, but requiring. And both are very hard to leave. I've listened to or read a lot of interviews with former Mormons who say that getting your name removed from that 13 million roster is harder than getting a cable guy to give you a solid window time for when he's going to show up at your house.

Question: Does the 13 million include all the dead people you baptize into your faith?
Be aware that the undergarments only purpose is to remind you of covenants made with God. That's the protection they offer, keeping you from sinning (adultery, etc). We don't believe they are magic. And we aren't the only religion that does this. There are many, outside of the Christian faith. The cloth that Jews wear with the tassels is similar. There are religions in India that do it as well.

Tithing isn't a new concept either. Abraham tithed. The book of Malachi teaches that it isn't a suggestion. He said that you rob God of what is His if you don't tithe.(Old Testament)

Oh and it isn't that hard to have your name removed from records. I have assisted people with this. It takes 10 minutes.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#96422 Mar 18, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Delusions have that effect on people....
delusion, illusion, perception...
Why is it that every time I read a post where YaA says,
"God is Real!"
I still get the strong mental image of a frenetic Don Knotts in a cheap suit and bow tie?
freedom from religion

Ashland, KY

#96423 Mar 18, 2013
what idiots have they never read history or watched the history channel, more wars have been fought and people killed in the name of religon than all other causes

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96424 Mar 18, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Be aware that the undergarments only purpose is to remind you of covenants made with God. That's the protection they offer, keeping you from sinning (adultery, etc). We don't believe they are magic. And we aren't the only religion that does this. There are many, outside of the Christian faith. The cloth that Jews wear with the tassels is similar. There are religions in India that do it as well.
Tithing isn't a new concept either. Abraham tithed. The book of Malachi teaches that it isn't a suggestion. He said that you rob God of what is His if you don't tithe.(Old Testament)
Oh and it isn't that hard to have your name removed from records. I have assisted people with this. It takes 10 minutes.
So the Holy Underwear is a symbolic chastity belt? There are certain advantages, I suppose. They're easier on the washing machine and you don't get rust stains on your Sansabelts when it rains. Then again, you could just buy Hanes and go with Matt. 5:37.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#96425 Mar 18, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice pics...
But yet you Believe it's feathers evolved from scales...
not even the same material... go figure!
There you go again... Speaking of what you know nothing about... First I Don't Believe anything... Period....

Second I do not think feathers evolved from scales... I Think based on Evidence that feathers evolved from single hair like growths that evolved to insulate a line of animals that branched off of the early dinosaurs some 230 million years ago.. The General Term Dinosaur is a misnomer in that I think there was as a diverse variation of critters at 230 million years as there was at 500 million or last week... Some were warm blooded, some cold blooded, some had scales, some had fur, some had smooth slimy skin... and WE have only found about 1 in a Million of the varied species that ran amuck... Got wiped out except for a few survivors which evolved into a multitude of species that Got wiped out except for a few survivors which evolved into a multitude of species that Got wiped out except for a few survivors which evolved into a multitude of species that until today ....

Manchester, KY

#96426 Mar 18, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
Good day to you all...
Hope you find the Lord!
Amen!
Is he lost again?
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Grayson, KY

#96427 Mar 18, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I am the Priest at Alva Satanic church. We do not demand that our members blindly believe anything, we do not tell them they can only associate with other members like the christians do. That is the difference between us and you (oh we do hate christians)
Thank you for your reply. Christians are not told to associate ONLY with other Christians. Would you please explain to me what or who influences you to feel or believe the way you do? You have the right to HATE anyone or anything you wish, but, do you think your hate is any different than the hate you accuse Christians of? Hate is Hate no matter how you look at it.
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Grayson, KY

#96428 Mar 18, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought YOU said YOU WeRe FiniShED PosTinG on THIS SiTE BeCAUse of ALL the HatE and STUFF.
Just can't stay away can ya? Yeah, me neither.
You're right, I did say that, but I thought, maybe just maybe, I might be able to somehow influence love among ALL not hate.:-)

Location hidden

#96429 Mar 18, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No!
I did not miss the point, and by virtue, his back handed insult
to religious persons!
Even though, what he said is true for a lot of people!
I understand that you do not know the tricks of satan...
I do think people that chant to a piece of rice paper
in a nice custom box... people that wear custom underwear,
and want to fly to kolob... people that call priests 'Father',
play "Hide the pedophile, and elect a pope as Jesus'
personage on earth... people that worship cows, and
seventyfive other creatures...
are just Whacko!
I know this!
But... in ALL they do... they are closer to the truth
than people that believe that there is no God!
God is real... their just not looking in the right
place, but they are looking!
I hope you look past your nose, as I think it's too far
up Dawkins butt to see anything else!
So, the Catholics, the Hindus, the Mormons, and I'm assuming every other religion, are full of "whackos". But not your special brand of faith. Why is that? Your arrogance is amusing.

From where I'm sitting, you're all equally "whacko".

Location hidden

#96430 Mar 18, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
Religious people are just plain Goofy....
Thanks. Scripture in the OT says that God's people would be a peculiar people.

Location hidden

#96431 Mar 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I politely disagree because I find the overwhelming bulk of your theology to be inslutingly inintelligent.
Inslutingly inintelligent?

Hahahaha hahahaha

Thanks for the ironic laugh

Manchester, KY

#96432 Mar 18, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. Scripture in the OT says that God's people would be a peculiar people.
Peculiar is not the term I used... I used the short form of why Mickey left Minnie.....

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96433 Mar 18, 2013
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your reply. Christians are not told to associate ONLY with other Christians. Would you please explain to me what or who influences you to feel or believe the way you do? You have the right to HATE anyone or anything you wish, but, do you think your hate is any different than the hate you accuse Christians of? Hate is Hate no matter how you look at it.
Sure, let me give you some examples. First; I was recently in a class at the public vocational school. The instructer is a baptist and two of the students are mormons. I was hassled every single day by these three, told that I would burn in Hell, that if they had a dime they would woop my ass (I handed him a quarter and he shut up, I am not weak) I did not push my beliefs on them but I did not allow them to force their beliefs on to me.
My wife and I used to go to church with her mother (we had to fake being church people) and they preached not to do business with the secular people, not to socialize with them and not to allow our children to play with them.
Again, we have had many threats of violence from christians been refused service by christians at businesses (the manager had to check us out)
I am fed up with this crap from the christian cult. I am fighting back, I no longer co-exist but rather treat people in the exact same way they treat me.
The last time some sissy christian told my wife he was going to throw gas on her and light her on fire he did not know I was standing behind him, we both laughed as he RAN away.
IF I went around making threats of burning christians alive what do you think would come of that?
My wifes brother, a Deacon in his rich church, who designs bombs to kill more people for a defense contractor, when he thought we where church people told us we where not good christians because we did not have as much money as he and his wife.(we make more now)
The christian cult is about elevating themselves above others, social status and wealth.
Oh, when we stopped going to church with my wifes mother not one person called us from the church, but her mother, who gives $550.00 every two weeks, gets several phone calls if she misses a sundy. We used to go out for lunch with them after church and got along with them but at the time did not have a great deal of.....you guessed it, money
I have heard the "you can not afford not to give" sermon from three different preachers (all of them had the same life story? WOW) seen the fake old lady in the wheelchair get up and walk (yes fake, I saw her walk from her car to the wheelchair) the fake speaking in tongues (god was angry because the people where not giving like they should)
Plus I have read the bible (why christians get mad when they try to push their cult on to me, I quote the bible to them) and have no doubt that the whole jewish god thing was made up to elevate them above others and then used to control the masses and make huge sums of money

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96434 Mar 18, 2013
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate is hate, the difference is that I do not threaten violence against people who do not follow my beliefs. The christian cult is the most hate filled, violent, bloodlusting group. They make the jews look almost not evil
bob

Lenore, WV

#96435 Mar 18, 2013
Time to homeschool my kids
So true

Morgantown, KY

#96436 Mar 18, 2013
What is that song ? You know I don't care anymore...,, make the world go away,,,I guess it doesn't matter anymore... Gosh so much hate in this world ,, maybe it is a waste of a heart ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brett 28 min lololol 1
To the Garland family 1 hr Friend 5
Looking for a girl who will POOP all OVER me! ;P (Apr '14) 6 hr gator 15
Jason woolum (Jul '11) 8 hr buster hyman 13
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 10 hr Mee 3
terry smith from the creek 10 hr Curious 3
poachers on davis bend (Nov '10) 11 hr take my word 19
Need food badly 11 hr koko 53
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 14 hr Get a life 8
Barbourville Dating