Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,113

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96294 Mar 17, 2013
sickening wrote:
I agree that people came from Creation and not an ape. How absurd. People can believe they came from an animal but can't believe that there is a God who is quite capable of EVERYTHING.
HOWEVER....I do believe there are many people who were CREATED from jackasses.
I'm living proof there is a God....you want proof....take a breath.....there ya go!
You present your argument as if Evolution and Creationism are two sides of a coin on equal footing, both based on belief.

They are not.

People, like myself, don't "believe" in Evolution like you believe in Creation. We accept the evidence that supports it. We understand the prevailing theory (Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection) and agree that it (Darwin's theory) is the best explanation.
Evolution itself, is not a theory by the way (before you start going down that road). It is a fact. When people say "the Theory of Evolution" they really mean Darwin's theory about how evolution occurs not a theory about whether it exists. It's just like gravity. Gravity exists, but how it actually works is best explained by Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.
happy

Lexington, KY

#96295 Mar 17, 2013
sickening wrote:
I agree that people came from Creation and not an ape. How absurd. People can believe they came from an animal but can't believe that there is a God who is quite capable of EVERYTHING.
HOWEVER....I do believe there are many people who were CREATED from jackasses.

I'm living proof there is a God....you want proof....take a breath.....there ya go!
Rofl cute. We also have a sense of humor
happy

Lexington, KY

#96296 Mar 17, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this, I'd have... well, I'd have a lot of nickels.
I know this is a waste of time. But, I'll bite anyway.

From Apes? Not exactly how it works. Both modern man and modern apes evolved from the same ancestor at some point in our pasts.
From Monkeys? No, no one has ever said that (other than ignorant fundamentalists who live for straw man arguments)

And yes, we all know that you fundies find it hilarious. It's sad to me though. Your amusement is based on ignorance. I suppose it would be different if you understood Darwin's theory and disagreed with it. But that is typically not the case.
Lol I DO disagree with Darwin. What a joke
happy

Lexington, KY

#96297 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>You present your argument as if Evolution and Creationism are two sides of a coin on equal footing, both based on belief.

They are not.

People, like myself, don't "believe" in Evolution like you believe in Creation. We accept the evidence that supports it. We understand the prevailing theory (Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection) and agree that it (Darwin's theory) is the best explanation.
Evolution itself, is not a theory by the way (before you start going down that road). It is a fact. When people say "the Theory of Evolution" they really mean Darwin's theory about how evolution occurs not a theory about whether it exists. It's just like gravity. Gravity exists, but how it actually works is best explained by Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.
How did the Universe Begin? Dr. William Lane Craig

The case for a Creator Dr. Lee Strobel

Darwin or Design Paul A. Nelson

How Biology Points Toward God
Dr. Raymind Bolin
To give a few....
happy

Lexington, KY

#96298 Mar 17, 2013
How the Universe Points Toward a Creator. Dr. John Bloom

The Intersection of Science and Faith
Dr. Craig Hazen...

Following Jesus on the Reliablity of Scripture Dr. Paige Patterson..
Few more

Location hidden

#96299 Mar 17, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol I DO disagree with Darwin. What a joke
I didn't say you didn't disagree with it. I said you disagree with it without understanding it.

Location hidden

#96300 Mar 17, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
How did the Universe Begin? Dr. William Lane Craig
The case for a Creator Dr. Lee Strobel
Darwin or Design Paul A. Nelson
How Biology Points Toward God
Dr. Raymind Bolin
To give a few....
...a few books written by Christian apologetic authors. Fascinating evidence you have there.
happy

Lexington, KY

#96301 Mar 17, 2013
The Kalam Cosmological Argument most published contemporary argument for Theism in philosophy.
William Lane Craig
happy

Lexington, KY

#96302 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>I didn't say you didn't disagree with it. I said you disagree with it without understanding it.
Totally understand as you can see by my reference :-)
happy

Lexington, KY

#96303 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>I didn't say you didn't disagree with it. I said you disagree with it without understanding it.
Totally understand as u can see by references noted :-)
happy

Lexington, KY

#96304 Mar 17, 2013
"Scientifically speaking, it's far more probable for a life prohibiting universe to exist rather than a LIFE SUSTAINING one. Life is balanced on a RAZORS edge."

"If you are Sincerely SEEKING God, He will make His existence evident to
YOU."
William Lane Craig
EplurbisGawdurad uhmazz

Somerset, KY

#96305 Mar 17, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>This is not true. The catholic church sent armed men out and took from people. They could demand what ever they wanted from some ones estate after they dies. In America if you did not pay up they put you in jail until we stood up to them. Thank Satan that our for fathers where not christians!
Back your BULLSHIT up with documentation or have it called it for what it is (BULLSHIT) by the walk of living proof of EXPERIENCE. If you can pull the straws out of your nose of lalaland long enough, and your head out from under the paid-for-in-advance headstones off of OTHER peoples backs long enough that you're trying to freeride off of that is.

By Claudio Lavanga and Marian Smith, NBC News

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis said Saturday he wanted "a poor church for the poor" in his first remarks to the media since he was elected leader of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics.

Wearing simple white robes and plain black shoes, he explained how he decided to name himself after St. Francis of Assisi: When he reached two-thirds of the vote in the conclave, a fellow cardinal embraced him and said, "Don't forget the poor."

"That's when I thought of Francis of Assisi," he said. "And that is how the name came to me: Francis of Assisi, the man of poverty, of peace."

Follow @NBCNewsWorld

He added: "This is what I want, a poor church for the poor."

His comments underscored previous indications of his preference for austerity -- he did not sit on the papal throne to receive the cardinals after being elected, he took a bus with the rest of the cardinals back to their hotel and he was pictured Friday paying the bill himself
happy

Lexington, KY

#96306 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>...a few books written by Christian apologetic authors. Fascinating evidence you have there.
TY yes I love the evidence. Quite convincing totally explainable
EplurbisGawdurad uhmazz

Somerset, KY

#96307 Mar 17, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>What history has proven again and again is that the christian cult picks and chooses from the bible to justify hatred, violens and blood lust (and sexual perversion)
Sounds like you have some personal problems then. Blaming random churches for them will get you no where.

That's what they make psychiatrists for.

Logic will always win over ILLogical.
EplurbisGawdurad uhmazz

Somerset, KY

#96308 Mar 17, 2013
Lucky wrote:
We need everyone to start Savin that's how we become millionaires kids need to be taught to fend for themselves and not the government check!!! It criminal out schools don't make it mandatory for all students to learn investing for their future before the get out of the 9th grade!!!!
$350 per month at a 8% return for 40 years. Start at 20 at 60 years old you will have $1,229,999.30 people wake up and demand that schools start teaching this to our kids. The government wants you broke so they can control you. Its politics people! start to control your life by controlling yourself you can do it!!!
Grow up. In the real world, MANY are doing good just to feed their families each week (with NO givverment handouts), let alone save anytihng.

It is criminal that our schools let such stupid pass beyond 7th grade with such jr high delusions of UNrealities these days.

Location hidden

#96309 Mar 17, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally understand as u can see by references noted :-)
Really? The why did you ask about evolving from monkeys?
EplurbisGawdurad uhmazz

Somerset, KY

#96310 Mar 17, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
the catholics burned all the literature. the church survives is about all churches becuz if u would read your bible then u would find out that god requires u to give 10% so obviously u are invaluable to this discussion cuz u are arguin from ignorance. go read the bible and maybe u will learn that it is garbage.
Might want to cleanse yourself of the mires of ignorance in your own hate filled eyes.

It is blaringly obvious, you are abjectly clueless to any REAL aspects of truth of reality.

Start READING for YOURSELF-
THE VATICAN LIBRARY

The manuscripts and printed books that came to rest in the Vatican Library tell many stories. They help to explain the development of Renaissance thought and art, scholarship and science, in Rome and elsewhere. They shed light on the history of the universal Roman church and on the city in which it flourished, on the Protestant Reformation and the Catholic Counter-Reformation--even on the history of Western efforts to understand and convert the peoples of the non-Western world. They describe the new education, art, and music of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries; they show how the curia reached beyond the bounds of Europe, to the Islamic world and even to China; and they reveal some of the conflicts that flared up when the accomplishment of church policy and the pursuit of new knowledge could not both be carried out.

The City Reborn: How the City Came Back to Life
The City Recovers: From Wasteland to Metropolis
A Library Takes Shape: Books, Benches, and Borrowers
In the Margins of the Past: Manuscripts as Historical Documents
The popes had always had a library, but in the middle of the fifteenth century they began to collect books in a new way. Nicholas V decided to create a public library for "the court of Rome"--the whole world of clerics and laymen, cardinals and scholars who inhabited the papal palace and its environs. He and Sixtus IV provided the library with a suite of rooms. These were splendidly frescoed, lighted by large windows, and furnished with elaborate wooden benches to which most books were chained. And, unlike some modern patrons, the popes of the Renaissance cared about the books as well as about the buildings that housed them. They bought, borrowed, and even stole the beautiful handwritten books of the time. The papal library soon became as spectacular a work of art, in its own way, as the Sistine Chapel or Saint Peter's. It grew rapidly; by 1455 it had 1200 books, 400 of them Greek; by 1481, a handwritten catalogue by the librarian, Platina, showed 3500 entries--by far the largest collection of books in the Western world. And it never stopped growing, thanks to bequests, purchases, and even, sometimes, military conquests.

From the start, the library had a special character. It included Bibles and works of theology and canon law, but it specialized in secular works: above all, the Greek and Latin classics, in the purest texts that the popes and their agents could find, for the popes and their servants saw these as the most powerful source of knowledge and counsel that the world possessed. The Vatican Library, in fact, became a center of the revival of classical culture known as the Renaissance. Its librarians were often distinguished scholars. Historians and philosophers, clerics and magicians visited the collections and borrowed books from them. By 1581, when the French writer Michel de Montaigne visited Rome, the treasures of the Vatican had become a mandatory stop on any well-informed traveller's Roman itinerary. To his delight, Montaigne was shown ancient Roman and ancient Chinese manuscripts, the love letters of Henry VIII, and the classics of history and philosophy (many of which can be seen in this exhibition). Then, as now, the Vatican Library was one of the greatest in the Western world.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#96311 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
You present your argument as if Evolution and Creationism are two sides of a coin on equal footing, both based on belief.
They are not.
The only caveat I would add is that Rational people don't "Except" evolution as to me that that to the religious folks sounds like their mindset of "Belief"... Just Except the bible or some other text as the Word of God and we will all be Believers... I think rational people Understand the concept of Evolution and question it on an ongoing basis changing that understanding as new evidence is presented and verified.. Even the Scientific community falls prey to Excepting a view at times and allow it to become dogma then refuse to even consider new evidence or question old dogmatic views.. It many cases what is claimed as science is just as Belief based as any religion....

Location hidden

#96312 Mar 17, 2013
happy wrote:
"Scientifically speaking, it's far more probable for a life prohibiting universe to exist rather than a LIFE SUSTAINING one. Life is balanced on a RAZORS edge."
"If you are Sincerely SEEKING God, He will make His existence evident to
YOU."
William Lane Craig
Scientifically speaking, William Lane Craig doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. He's a philosopher (who specializes in theology) not an astrophysicist, let alone an exo-biologist.
EplurbisGawdurad uhmazz

Somerset, KY

#96313 Mar 17, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So nothing in specific, just general insults?
Amen.
Blind to the logs of ignorance lodged in their own hate filled selves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any news on new football coach at Knox Central? 9 min gator 4
Mayor. And school board candidates slinging Mud... 9 min funny talk 46
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 14 min Awake 7,295
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 16 min scirocco 155,486
knox board of ed raising taxes 1 hr right?! 120
Stealing from child's grave 1 hr gimme a big nickle 17
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr BIG_STEVIE 81,661

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]