Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,601)

Showing posts 92,001 - 92,020 of128,056
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

RaisedKatlick wrote:
<quoted text>
They're not (for those with rational, sane and logical minds anyway) History has proven that, repeatedly, time and time again.
wheres the proof of gods existence cuz i dont recall u gettin a nobel peace prize for your discovery. if u think u are the rational and logical one then i would hate to have u in any kind of power position. your rationale and logic are kinda slippin in the real world that the rest of us live in. i will be waitin for the proof u have so i can get u in line to get your world recognition and let everyone know the real truth for once and all....lmao
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I disagree. God's hand has been evident in my life. I have felt and heard the Holy Ghost.
I really don't believe that God and science are at opposing ends of the playing field.
i really dont want to sound rude by sayin this but in reality if someone hears voices and things its called hallucinations. your brain can make u feel many different ways, for example, shivering and butterflies in your stomach and such. we know there arent really butterflies in there but the point is that warm feelin u get from church and all is the hallucination of the spirit cuz u want it so bad u can feel it. kind of like a dream when u wake up and could swear that it was real.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I am attacking those who align themselves with a cult that has attacked others for centuries.
So YOU did not murder a bunch of people by blowing up a womans clinic with Doctors, employees, and patents in it but you choose to belong to the cult that condones these types of murders. YOU did not sacrifice animals or sing and dance as you murdered children but you worship the god that demanded this of you.
Hey, I bet there where solders under Hitler that never killed any one but they where still Nazis.
You should read your entire bible starting with this;
“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”(Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.
2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)
3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)
3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)
3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)
UNLESS YOU THINK WE ARE ON MARS HEAVEN AND EARTH HAS NOT PASSED AWAY! So why do you pick and choose from the bible? Because you know that it is not real!
ive pointed those same scriptures out to ppl over and over and over but they just ignore it. just like they do all the other stuff in the bible that they dont like.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>The holy hate bible has two testicles an old and a new, same god, same hate.
Again, you speak of bigotry and hate, and ironically, hypocrisy. Listen to yourself.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>It was "issue" and its at the top of the page, the holy hate bible.
So nothing in specific, just general insults?
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>
thing about this is that i doubt any of the atheist want to go to your heaven. what is so great about a heaven that isnt a reward for being a good person but in turn a reward for anyone that will just say im sorry, forgive me, and that includes murderers, rapists, pedophiles, liar...well anyone like the catholic priests that molest the little kids. your god invents a hell to punish the ones he is supposed to "love" when all he had to do was just kill the snake in the start, or better yet be like a good parent would be, be disappointed and heart broke but in no way would u ever torture them for eternity. your god punishes us for his faults in his creation cuz u have to understand that if god ceated it all then even the bad things are things he wanted in the equation or they would have never been the knowledge available for things to turn bad. and b4 u say its the devil that causes the bad, who gave the devil his life and thoughts...exactly, your god did. i see no love in the old testament at all and the new testament does have a few good things but over all it is not about love either. im just sorry u cant open your eyes and comprehend what all the bible has in it. if it wasnt named bible it would be banned from schools because of its grotesque demeanor. if u dont know about the immoral things god wants us to do then just let me know, ill post the scriptures for u. and dont come with we dont follow old testament blah blah blah, because the 10 commandments are old testament and the christians sure want them posted all over so it seems the old testament is in full force.
Lucifer and the fallen angels had it all, and rebelled...
I think the ones that have been over rough roads would
appreciate Heaven more, as the rough road made us tougher!
You do not have to come, and it's not what you say, or
how you say it... It's what's in your heart!
One might think they're a "Good" person...
Most of the time... they are lying to themselves!
I know I did!
Believe what you want...
I know God is real, and the end of this age is coming fast!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I am attacking those who align themselves with a cult that has attacked others for centuries.
So YOU did not murder a bunch of people by blowing up a womans clinic with Doctors, employees, and patents in it but you choose to belong to the cult that condones these types of murders. YOU did not sacrifice animals or sing and dance as you murdered children but you worship the god that demanded this of you.
Hey, I bet there where solders under Hitler that never killed any one but they where still Nazis.
You should read your entire bible starting with this;
“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”(Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.
2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)
3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasnÂ’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)
3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)
3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

UNLESS YOU THINK WE ARE ON MARS HEAVEN AND EARTH HAS NOT PASSED AWAY! So why do you pick and choose from the bible? Because you know that it is not real!
Ok, 2 things you need to know:
1. The LDS church believes that almost immediately after the death of the apostles, there was an apostasy from the true church of Jesus Christ. They had parts of the truth, but not the whole truth. Most was scattered or altered at the Council of Nicea. They chose what was scripture and made major decisions on things like the nature of God. The LDS church claims to be a restoration of the true church, so we don't really feel a part of the Crusades, etc.
2. You can't judge a church by a few members that decide to do bad things. You know the things of God by its fruits. So look at the doctrine and service of a church.

And as far as the laws you are talking about, they are not speaking of the law of Moses. That law was fulfilled by the coming of Jesus Christ. He brought the higher law that the people of the Old Testament could not handle.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Candace wrote:
The bible has no place in public education, and I do not want my tax dollars spent on nor my grandchildren being taught religious propaganda in public schools. If you want your child to have religious upbringing, send them to a private christian school...oh, gee, that is if you're not muslim, jewish, or buddhist.
So... You'd rather they be taught that
they are just animals, and they can kill babies when they hump around...
Soulds like a good grandma!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>i really dont want to sound rude by sayin this but in reality if someone hears voices and things its called hallucinations. your brain can make u feel many different ways, for example, shivering and butterflies in your stomach and such. we know there arent really butterflies in there but the point is that warm feelin u get from church and all is the hallucination of the spirit cuz u want it so bad u can feel it. kind of like a dream when u wake up and could swear that it was real.
I have had many experiences that prove to me that God is real. You would not understand it because you didn't experience it. That's the great thing about it, it is personal and different for everyone.
I agree that people can want to believe something so bad that any little thing becomes a confirmation. But that's not what I'm talking about.
And I can go back to the several miracles that I have witnessed as well by the power of prayer and the power of God's priesthood.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
If there was a creater why would we need to be told about him? Wouldn't we have some kind of link or knowledge from our birth?
If the myths about your god and jesus where true would not each of us have knowledge about them in our soul?
And how come the stories about jesus and the jewish god are exactly like the stories about older gods in older cultures? Why would a "living god" have to steal the stories from other lands and other peoples gods?
Yes, I expect an answer from the fundies here because they spout their poison with out ever answering or supporting their statements.
The Heaven declare His Glory...
Yer just too blind to see it!

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So nothing in specific, just general insults?
Respect, lol.
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

The secret is not in your hand or your eye or your voice. The secret is in your heart.

If you listen,
Not to the pages or preachers
But to the smallest flower
Growing from a crack
In your heart,
You will hear a great song
Moving across a wide ocean
Whose water is the music
Connecting all the islands
Of the universe together,
And touching all
You will feel it
Touching you
Around you...
Embracing you
With light.

John Squadra

Good Day All

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that was not a "defense". It just surprises me that those that believe in the Bible think that the Book of Mormon couldn't have happened.
I'm not sure how number of generations is important here. The time period that these writings took place make them no less relevant. I would say the same about the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Why is prose important?
What do you wish to discuss with the Book of Abraham? Yes, I know how Joseph attained it.
Smith did not attain the Book of Abraham, he invented it. He was asked to translate some old Egyptian scrolls or something like that. He reluctantly agreed and the resulting text was the Book of Abraham, which he claimed was a lost book of the Bible.

At that time no one in the world could read ancient Egyptian. But later, when scholars did figure it out, they took a look at Smith's version of the story and compared it to what the Egyptian scrolls actually said.

They were not remotely the same thing. The scrolls were just some bits from a traditional Egyptian funerary book, or something like that. What Smith wrote was a story about Biblical characters.

So, he made it up, basically hoping nobody would learn to read ancient Egyptian.

That, among many other things, is one of the reasons that Smith and the entire Mormon tradition is widely seen as a fraud.

Google it if you don't believe me. I'm going by memory on this one but that is the way the story goes. It's actually pretty fascinating. There's a lot more detail to it than what I'm remembering. I think the Book of Abraham was included in the Book of Mormon for many years but after the original was translated properly the LDS stopped printing it in the BoM.

Is it in the current copy of the BoM? If not, why?

Is this story told to young Mormons learning about the history of their religion?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We, as in the human race. I'm just telling you what I believe. I'm not asking you to believe it. I just ask that you be respectful as I will be with you.
Everyone's body will be reunited with their spirit. The just and unjust will be resurrected. Resurrected bodies do not age, they continue for eternity. It is a gift from our Father in Heaven, to become more like Him.
We know nothing about Kolob other than it is mentioned to be the planet closest to our Heavenly Father. That doesn't even seem relevant to anything to me.
If Kolob is mentioned as being close to God why is it irrelevant?

You seem like a smart, kind person. I have no beef with you. But I cannot respect beliefs if they are not founded on good reason. The BoM is a silly book and the LDS is a church based on misinformation and fraud. I can't respect that.

Mormons are good people, on the whole. Its just that they are chained to a really silly religious tradition. Notice how over time the face of the LDS gets more and more mainstream. They speak less and less about their more...eccentric views and ideas.

But the internet will not allow things like Kolob and "white and delightsome" skin color go unknown.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had many experiences that prove to me that God is real. You would not understand it because you didn't experience it. That's the great thing about it, it is personal and different for everyone.
I agree that people can want to believe something so bad that any little thing becomes a confirmation. But that's not what I'm talking about.
And I can go back to the several miracles that I have witnessed as well by the power of prayer and the power of God's priesthood.
Do you accept that Muslims also experience God via their Prophet? If so, how are the two compatible? They speak of explicitly different ideas. Do you hold that both can be true at the same time?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, 2 things you need to know:
1. The LDS church believes that almost immediately after the death of the apostles, there was an apostasy from the true church of Jesus Christ. They had parts of the truth, but not the whole truth. Most was scattered or altered at the Council of Nicea. They chose what was scripture and made major decisions on things like the nature of God. The LDS church claims to be a restoration of the true church, so we don't really feel a part of the Crusades, etc.
2. You can't judge a church by a few members that decide to do bad things. You know the things of God by its fruits. So look at the doctrine and service of a church.
And as far as the laws you are talking about, they are not speaking of the law of Moses. That law was fulfilled by the coming of Jesus Christ. He brought the higher law that the people of the Old Testament could not handle.
Bullsh it

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

So explain to me how your god was afraid that when man built the tower of Babble they would reach heaven and nothing would be denied them but when we built tall buildings and sent men to space your god was silent.
If man could reach heaven from a tall tower how come telescopes and spacecraft do not find heaven?

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Do you know what makes sense and does not contradict itself?
The Jewish people, a large family, wanted to elevate themselves above others and justify their evilness (theft, murder, rape, genocide) so they made up a "god" that only loves them and hates every one else (read your damd bible for a change!)

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

In Touch-

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>Nor would I wish to if I could. Faith in God is something that you have to want for yourself.
Faith in God is one of the main purposes we are here on earth. We lived with our Father in Heaven before this existence. We all chose to follow His plan to come to this earth, receive a tangible body that is ours for eternity, and have our faith in Him tested. We have a veil over our remembrance of our time with Him. If we remembered, there would be no reason for faith. And if there were global "proof" of God's existence, there would be no reason for faith.
He sent us His Holy Spirit to witness eternal truth to us. Once you have felt the confirmation of the Holy Ghost, proof seems irrelevant, though you want to share it with others. This poses a difficult problem when a person doesn't believe they need God in their life. I choose to share my experiences with others just in case someone is at that point in their life where they want a relationship with their Father in Heaven.
Once an individual cracks the door open to the possibility of a creator, the Holy Ghost gladly accompanies that person as they want to learn more.

When I speak with people that do not wish to open that door, I do my best to befriend that person anyway. Maybe the time will be right for them some other day. Until then, I am happy to get to know them for who they are. If the person is hostile towards me because of my beliefs, I still try to talk to them. If they can't find a way to be respectful, I usually move on with no hard feelings.

I hope you are someone that can have a mutually respectful conversation, as I will not attack you for what you stand for.
So CHRO u EVOLVED from an APE???? Equally UNBELIEVABLE to
Believers!! And HILLARIOUS!! Lol. Sorry but it's ROFL...HILLARIOUS. BAHAHAHA. WOW

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 92,001 - 92,020 of128,056
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 20 min brad 144,997
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr LMS 26,177
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr LMS 16,111
Barbourville topix 4 hr Rumors 11
Re. Maggie Milles 4 hr Just Looking 1
Truddy 5 hr Just Looking 3
looking for a mini pot belly pig 5 hr Shy 3
KC Basketball Coach 5 hr Panther Fanz 71
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 6 hr onefoehim 390
•••
•••
•••
•••