Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,961 - 91,980 of 128,946 Comments Last updated 45 min ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the reason for faith?
It is one of the reasons we are here. This time on earth is a refining process. We are here, out of our Father's presence, to progress and learn. There are some things we would never learn unless we did it on our own. And if we had a full recollection of everything in our life in His presence, it wouldn't benefit us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
So your defense of the Book of Mormon is that is it no more or less crazy than the Bible? Weak sauce.
The Bible at least has a long history on its side. It is a bunch of ancient tales redacted over many, many generations. It has a proper context in world mythology.
Book of Mormon is an 18th century fantasy. A kind of "fan fiction" of the Bible. And dude...the prose is terrible. Just friggin' awful.
Now, what of the Book of Abraham? How do you explain that little fiasco? We don't have to talk about inherent racism to discredit the LDS. We can just talk Book of Abraham.
Do you know the story?
No, that was not a "defense". It just surprises me that those that believe in the Bible think that the Book of Mormon couldn't have happened.

I'm not sure how number of generations is important here. The time period that these writings took place make them no less relevant. I would say the same about the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Why is prose important?

What do you wish to discuss with the Book of Abraham? Yes, I know how Joseph attained it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's this "we" you keep talking about? lol
As far as I can tell I was created by my parents and when I die my body will be eaten by little things. And that's all right by me.
How does a body live forever? Does one have to take a rocket ship to Kolob?
We, as in the human race. I'm just telling you what I believe. I'm not asking you to believe it. I just ask that you be respectful as I will be with you.

Everyone's body will be reunited with their spirit. The just and unjust will be resurrected. Resurrected bodies do not age, they continue for eternity. It is a gift from our Father in Heaven, to become more like Him.

We know nothing about Kolob other than it is mentioned to be the planet closest to our Heavenly Father. That doesn't even seem relevant to anything to me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
I don't follow links. Care to say what you want to convey?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
What has always amazed me is the Book of Mormon is supposed to be a history of the native Americans. The amazement begans when the white man discovered America you would expect at least one little tribe would be a Christian especially sense the 'Book of Mormon' is supposed to be another testament of Jesus Christ! Yet when you examine the beliefs of the American 'Indians' they more reflect the beliefs that origanated in ancient pagan Babylon.
Another thing is the 'Book of Mormon' was supposed to be translated from some ancient Egyption language. The King James Verson was translated in 1611 yet when compared to the 'Book of Mormon' it is the exact same wording. How can that be?
As for me I looked extensively into the Mormon teachings. I had the 'Book of Mormon' and
"Doctrine and Covenants" written by Bringham Young which is more accepted by the LDS than the
'Book of Mormon'or the KJV for that matter!
I could tell you a lot more but if you are LDS you don't want to hear it and if not you can do the same inbvestigation that I did.
Have at it! The decision is yours!
The story of the Book of Mormon is of a Prophet that moved his family to America. He had two good sons, that wished to follow God's commandments, and two sons that thought the dad was off his rocker and they wanted to keep the small family fortune instead of leave Jerusalem. Most of the BOM is stories of the descendents of the good ones vs. the bad ones and all the interactions they had with God. Eventually the bad ones that wanted to worship many gods and act primal, killed off all the good ones. So it would make sense that there isn't anything left of a belief in Christ, since this is the main thing they had against the good ones.

The speech in the BOM was put in more of an Old English tone because that's what Joseph's society was used to in the early 1800's when they read scripture.

The Doctrine and Covenants was not written by Brigham Young. And it is not esteemed any higher than ancient scripture. It is simply revelations that were given to Joseph Smith, written down.

Yes, please tell me more about my religion. I'd love to hear what else you can teach me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>They believe that they are the pure bloodline of the jewish people, gods chosen. They feel that they are the master race.
I know a couple of them and they really think that they are above every one else.(and one of them has a 14 year old daughter who is married in the eyes of their church, child rape if you ask me)
You are not talking about the LDS church. You must be talking about some break off sect that has no membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor would I wish to if I could. Faith in God is something that you have to want for yourself.
Faith in God is one of the main purposes we are here on earth. We lived with our Father in Heaven before this existence. We all chose to follow His plan to come to this earth, receive a tangible body that is ours for eternity, and have our faith in Him tested. We have a veil over our remembrance of our time with Him. If we remembered, there would be no reason for faith. And if there were global "proof" of God's existence, there would be no reason for faith.
He sent us His Holy Spirit to witness eternal truth to us. Once you have felt the confirmation of the Holy Ghost, proof seems irrelevant, though you want to share it with others. This poses a difficult problem when a person doesn't believe they need God in their life. I choose to share my experiences with others just in case someone is at that point in their life where they want a relationship with their Father in Heaven.
Once an individual cracks the door open to the possibility of a creator, the Holy Ghost gladly accompanies that person as they want to learn more.
When I speak with people that do not wish to open that door, I do my best to befriend that person anyway. Maybe the time will be right for them some other day. Until then, I am happy to get to know them for who they are. If the person is hostile towards me because of my beliefs, I still try to talk to them. If they can't find a way to be respectful, I usually move on with no hard feelings.
I hope you are someone that can have a mutually respectful conversation, as I will not attack you for what you stand for.
I can hold a respectful conversation, but isn't that also something that I would have to want for myself? I might have a patient conversation with a schizophrenic, but it would neither be healthy nor respectful to launch on a long term validation and encouragement of their delusions. I observe that it is much more ethical to illuminate what someone has fallen for than to criticize what they stand for. If you find that to be offensive, perhaps it is indicative of a need to review your version of reality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I can hold a respectful conversation, but isn't that also something that I would have to want for myself? I might have a patient conversation with a schizophrenic, but it would neither be healthy nor respectful to launch on a long term validation and encouragement of their delusions. I observe that it is much more ethical to illuminate what someone has fallen for than to criticize what they stand for. If you find that to be offensive, perhaps it is indicative of a need to review your version of reality.
What I find offensive is when someone berates another for what they believe with the intent of making them look stupid or less of an intelligent being. Bullying, if you will. No this is not ethical.
I prefer courtesy over insult.
If you feel a conversation is encouraging to the other party to keep believing what they believe, then you should refrain from the conversation if your only intent is to ridicule. That would be respectful.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't follow links. Care to say what you want to convey?
Roflmfao.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I can hold a respectful conversation, but isn't that also something that I would have to want for myself? I might have a patient conversation with a schizophrenic, but it would neither be healthy nor respectful to launch on a long term validation and encouragement of their delusions. I observe that it is much more ethical to illuminate what someone has fallen for than to criticize what they stand for. If you find that to be offensive, perhaps it is indicative of a need to review your version of reality.
Yep, religies do not even deserve that much respect. Religies in all of religie history have never shown respect. Things are changeing now and they cry "respect our religions", lmao, typical hypocrites.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>They believe that they are the pure bloodline of the jewish people, gods chosen. They feel that they are the master race.
I know a couple of them and they really think that they are above every one else.(and one of them has a 14 year old daughter who is married in the eyes of their church, child rape if you ask me)
I notice you got a lemon, truth hurts these westboro christians.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, religies do not even deserve that much respect. Religies in all of religie history have never shown respect. Things are changeing now and they cry "respect our religions", lmao, typical hypocrites.
People deserve respect when they show it to others. I would also venture to say that holding someone else responsible for actions of others is unfair. That's like blaming a southerner today for slavery in the south.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
People deserve respect when they show it to others. I would also venture to say that holding someone else responsible for actions of others is unfair. That's like blaming a southerner today for slavery in the south.
Innocent? Lmao.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If you willingly join a religion that has a long history of hate and violence like burning people alive, genocide, slavery, than you deserve the same respect that all followers of that religion get, zero!
Join the christian church or be killed? No respect earned.
I do not know how many times christians have run their mouth at me that I should be; shot, burned at the stake, given a good ass wooping, drowned at birth, etc. So do not tell me that not all christians are the same and some deserve respect because the christian cult is about hate and blood lust!

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Oh, and I do not have to respect your beliefs. I respect your rights (even though christians do not respect others rights) but not your beliefs or actions from those beliefs.
Why do I attack your faith? Because your cult has attacked the faith of every one else, because your cult tries to force your beliefs on to every one else. Because your cult violently attacks homeless people who can not defend themselves. The list goes on and on. History shows the actions of the christian cult and actions speak the truth. The christian cult is pure evil

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Innocent? Lmao.
Can you expound?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>If you willingly join a religion that has a long history of hate and violence like burning people alive, genocide, slavery, than you deserve the same respect that all followers of that religion get, zero!
Join the christian church or be killed? No respect earned.
I do not know how many times christians have run their mouth at me that I should be; shot, burned at the stake, given a good ass wooping, drowned at birth, etc. So do not tell me that not all christians are the same and some deserve respect because the christian cult is about hate and blood lust!
I can't speak for others. I only know myself and those I associate with. You do not describe me

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
Oh, and I do not have to respect your beliefs. I respect your rights (even though christians do not respect others rights) but not your beliefs or actions from those beliefs.
Why do I attack your faith? Because your cult has attacked the faith of every one else, because your cult tries to force your beliefs on to every one else. Because your cult violently attacks homeless people who can not defend themselves. The list goes on and on. History shows the actions of the christian cult and actions speak the truth. The christian cult is pure evil
You aren't attacking faith you are attacking individuals that aren't guilty of the crap you speak of.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't attacking faith you are attacking individuals that aren't guilty of the crap you speak of.
There can be no faith without the individuals lending their delusions to the collective. All are quilty that support the hatred and bigotry of christianity.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you expound?
Did you get on topix and voice your objections when religies stomped the rights of americans in n.c.? No?
Did you get on topix and voice your objections when our american dead were dishonored by the westboro religies spewing their hate? No?
Did you get on topix and voice your objections when abortion doctors and workers were killed and harassed by religies? No?

But you got on topix to voice your "respect my religion" stuff, didn't ya?

Their are no innocent religies, if you support the holy hate bible you deserve no respect.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
wendy abner and rick hubbs (Jul '10) 12 min bbgirll 10
Dentist AJ Smith 56 min Fred 2
Bipolar Women are better at Sex (Jan '11) 1 hr ajv 23
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Tollesboro Guy 81,560
Stivers Center fixes 1 hr Bud 59
Looking for place to rent! 2 hr Girl 1
Anyone know of any places for rent under 300? (Jul '12) 3 hr Girl 34
•••
•••