Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,941 - 91,960 of 128,917 Comments Last updated 12 min ago
charlie tuna

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

is daffy duck real?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>Seer Stones and Urim and Thmmim, interesting. Others read this forum just for information or entertainment without engaging for a discussion. To find truth about things someone has to test them according to what the bible says and to see if it's truly from God, Satan, or men.

Maybe you are the true watchman the bible talks about. Know one will no unless you weld from the sword of truth. It will be a rough ride until the end as some christians claim, so sharing your knowledge in the face of adversity may save a lost soul.

Interesting healing story, that you had. I have one of healing by being prayed for by 4 or 5 Seventh Day Advantist. Although I was only about 8 years old at the time. I was bitten to the bone by a feralcat on the for arm.

My arm swell up and I had a fever, my parents call the church that nite and members came over to pray for my recovery. I heard them talking in the backgroud and one said that I might die. I was frighten....lookin into my mother's gave me hope.

The next day the fever had broken and swelling had gone down. I don't really know if God did it or just plain luck. You may ask why my parents never took me to a hospital, I still do not know why to this day and never ask them. I'm just thankful I did not die.

Have to go, have a good nite.
Great story! Indeed prayer works for anyone that has faith.
Yes, I thought the Urim and Thummim was odd until I looked it up and saw it in the Bible

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Plausible compared to....?
Apparently, there is no limit to the things some people are susceptible to believing. Does this mean we should hang a sign over the door of science, civics and history classrooms, "C├Ždite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius?"
Plausible compared to the Bible stories I mentioned. I thought that was more than implied.
I am not suggesting that God and science oppose. I suggest that God controls and uses the laws of science. Anything is possible with God. But I can't give you faith. It's something you have to do on your own.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I call bull. I will relate to you this truestory. A mormon suffering from sarcoidosis that did not respond to the known treatments prayed and claimed to have had a vison from god that he was cured so he stopped going to doctors and told every one that god cured him. He is on oxygen now and has very little time left. Because he refused medical treatment that could have helped slow down the illness and given him 20 more years of life he will die with in the year.
What if the "vision" was showing him that he would be cured, with medicine? I believe God requires action from us. Once we have done what we can do on our own and prayed for help, then he intervenes, usually. Or maybe the vision was showing him that he would be called up soon where there is no sickness. I don't know for sure.
Rain falls on the righteous and unrighteous.
That's a sad story but doesn't prove or disprove God, or the truthfulness of a church.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Plausible compared to the Bible stories I mentioned. I thought that was more than implied.
I am not suggesting that God and science oppose. I suggest that God controls and uses the laws of science. Anything is possible with God. But I can't give you faith. It's something you have to do on your own.
It equally implies that leprechauns, closet monsters and unicorns are plausible. Nothing in the natural laws rule out their existence. Anything that is possible is possible without (believing in) magic. Even the contention that the remotest improbability is a near certainty does not mandate the existence of deities. Otherwise, no atheist would ever drop a dollar on PowerBall. There is the knowledge/faith that no matter how lopsided the odds are, someone will eventually win.
Religious faith?
No, you can't give me that kind of faith/dementia without serious and permanent harm to my neural net.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>It equally implies that leprechauns, closet monsters and unicorns are plausible. Nothing in the natural laws rule out their existence. Anything that is possible is possible without (believing in) magic. Even the contention that the remotest improbability is a near certainty does not mandate the existence of deities. Otherwise, no atheist would ever drop a dollar on PowerBall. There is the knowledge/faith that no matter how lopsided the odds are, someone will eventually win.
Religious faith?
No, you can't give me that kind of faith/dementia without serious and permanent harm to my neural net.
Nor would I wish to if I could. Faith in God is something that you have to want for yourself.
Faith in God is one of the main purposes we are here on earth. We lived with our Father in Heaven before this existence. We all chose to follow His plan to come to this earth, receive a tangible body that is ours for eternity, and have our faith in Him tested. We have a veil over our remembrance of our time with Him. If we remembered, there would be no reason for faith. And if there were global "proof" of God's existence, there would be no reason for faith.
He sent us His Holy Spirit to witness eternal truth to us. Once you have felt the confirmation of the Holy Ghost, proof seems irrelevant, though you want to share it with others. This poses a difficult problem when a person doesn't believe they need God in their life. I choose to share my experiences with others just in case someone is at that point in their life where they want a relationship with their Father in Heaven.
Once an individual cracks the door open to the possibility of a creator, the Holy Ghost gladly accompanies that person as they want to learn more.

When I speak with people that do not wish to open that door, I do my best to befriend that person anyway. Maybe the time will be right for them some other day. Until then, I am happy to get to know them for who they are. If the person is hostile towards me because of my beliefs, I still try to talk to them. If they can't find a way to be respectful, I usually move on with no hard feelings.

I hope you are someone that can have a mutually respectful conversation, as I will not attack you for what you stand for.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If we remembered, there would be no reason for faith. And if there were global "proof" of God's existence, there would be no reason for faith.
What is the reason for faith?
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I call bull. I will relate to you this truestory. A mormon suffering from sarcoidosis that did not respond to the known treatments prayed and claimed to have had a vison from god that he was cured so he stopped going to doctors and told every one that god cured him. He is on oxygen now and has very little time left. Because he refused medical treatment that could have helped slow down the illness and given him 20 more years of life he will die with in the year.
Wisdom is called for in EVERY situation

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the reason for faith?
To feed the Human Ego...

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

If not a Ron Paul follower how about Ru Paul. I think she is Ron's sister. She is much classier and I really like her red pumps. hehehe

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

They don't want children to learn about the bible because they prefer they believe their propaganda.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just pointing out that it is not something to brand Mormons with dreaming up.
The story behind the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ - not an added book to the Bible) is no less plausible than anything written in the Bible. A prophet was told to leave Jerusalem. He and his family sailed to Central America. Their posterity lived in the Americas for many years. They kept a record of what happened. The last record keeper buried it to be found later. Sounds very plausible when you consider how God freed a ton of Hebrew slaves from a powerful Pharoah with plagues, fed them bread from the sky, wrote the Ten Commandments Himself on stone tablets, etc etc, I could go on and on.
What's so hard to believe that the Book of Mormon happened the way Joseph and all his witnesses say it did?
So your defense of the Book of Mormon is that is it no more or less crazy than the Bible? Weak sauce.

The Bible at least has a long history on its side. It is a bunch of ancient tales redacted over many, many generations. It has a proper context in world mythology.

Book of Mormon is an 18th century fantasy. A kind of "fan fiction" of the Bible. And dude...the prose is terrible. Just friggin' awful.

Now, what of the Book of Abraham? How do you explain that little fiasco? We don't have to talk about inherent racism to discredit the LDS. We can just talk Book of Abraham.

Do you know the story?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

Faith in God is one of the main purposes we are here on earth. We lived with our Father in Heaven before this existence. We all chose to follow His plan to come to this earth, receive a tangible body that is ours for eternity, and have our faith in Him tested. We have a veil over our remembrance of our time with Him. If we remembered, there would be no reason for faith. And if there were global "proof" of God's existence, there would be no reason for faith.
Who's this "we" you keep talking about? lol

As far as I can tell I was created by my parents and when I die my body will be eaten by little things. And that's all right by me.

How does a body live forever? Does one have to take a rocket ship to Kolob?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

It would appear you must be delusional and hear voices to have a body live forever.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
They don't want children to learn about the bible because they prefer they believe their propaganda.
I have no ideal who "they" are, but christians sure love feeding bull excrement to children, god in a jesus suit, lmao.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor would I wish to if I could. Faith in God is something that you have to want for yourself.
He sent us His Holy Spirit to witness eternal truth to us. Once you have felt the confirmation of the Holy Ghost, proof seems irrelevant, though you want to share it with others. This poses a difficult problem when a person doesn't believe they need God in their life. I choose to share my experiences with others just in case someone is at that point in their life where they want a relationship with their Father in Heaven.
Once an individual cracks the door open to the possibility of a creator, the Holy Ghost gladly accompanies that person as they want to learn more.
When I speak with people that do not wish to open that door, I do my best to befriend that person anyway. Maybe the time will be right for them some other day. Until then, I am happy to get to know them for who they are. If the person is hostile towards me because of my beliefs, I still try to talk to them. If they can't find a way to be respectful, I usually move on with no hard feelings.
I hope you are someone that can have a mutually respectful conversation, as I will not attack you for what you stand for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
I took a religion course in college and wrote my mid term paper on if Jesus actually ever existed. There are all kinds of facts that point out he never did. Things like the gospels weren't even written until many, many years after he died. That Jesus doesn't exist outside of the bible, that there are no outside sources written by anyone that predates the NT. The Romans were excellent record keepers and at Jesus death there was a major earthquake and many dead prophets were resurrected and were just wondering around the streets. You would think that someone would of written about that miracle yet no one did.
They you have forgeries, like the part of the book of Josephus where they added to his work to make it sound like an outside source confirms his existence. It just seems like a man as great as Jesus was would of left a lot bigger paper trail for us non believers.
Yep, good post.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

What has always amazed me is the Book of Mormon is supposed to be a history of the native Americans. The amazement begans when the white man discovered America you would expect at least one little tribe would be a Christian especially sense the 'Book of Mormon' is supposed to be another testament of Jesus Christ! Yet when you examine the beliefs of the American 'Indians' they more reflect the beliefs that origanated in ancient pagan Babylon.
Another thing is the 'Book of Mormon' was supposed to be translated from some ancient Egyption language. The King James Verson was translated in 1611 yet when compared to the 'Book of Mormon' it is the exact same wording. How can that be?
As for me I looked extensively into the Mormon teachings. I had the 'Book of Mormon' and
"Doctrine and Covenants" written by Bringham Young which is more accepted by the LDS than the
'Book of Mormon'or the KJV for that matter!
I could tell you a lot more but if you are LDS you don't want to hear it and if not you can do the same inbvestigation that I did.
Have at it! The decision is yours!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
What has always amazed me is the Book of Mormon is supposed to be a history of the native Americans. The amazement begans when the white man discovered America you would expect at least one little tribe would be a Christian especially sense the 'Book of Mormon' is supposed to be another testament of Jesus Christ! Yet when you examine the beliefs of the American 'Indians' they more reflect the beliefs that origanated in ancient pagan Babylon.
Another thing is the 'Book of Mormon' was supposed to be translated from some ancient Egyption language. The King James Verson was translated in 1611 yet when compared to the 'Book of Mormon' it is the exact same wording. How can that be?
As for me I looked extensively into the Mormon teachings. I had the 'Book of Mormon' and
"Doctrine and Covenants" written by Bringham Young which is more accepted by the LDS than the
'Book of Mormon'or the KJV for that matter!
I could tell you a lot more but if you are LDS you don't want to hear it and if not you can do the same inbvestigation that I did.
Have at it! The decision is yours!
Its because Smith wanted to emulate the Bible so it would make the Book of Mormon seem more plausible. He assumed it would fool people and he was right. At least some of the people got fooled.

I think LDS exists today simply because it has become a cultural thing. There are so many of them and they encourage large families for the purpose of making more Mormons. Kinda like Fundamentalists who like to have 16 kids.

You gotta keep these cults fueled with impressionable children.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Its because Smith wanted to emulate the Bible so it would make the Book of Mormon seem more plausible. He assumed it would fool people and he was right. At least some of the people got fooled.
I think LDS exists today simply because it has become a cultural thing. There are so many of them and they encourage large families for the purpose of making more Mormons. Kinda like Fundamentalists who like to have 16 kids.
You gotta keep these cults fueled with impressionable children.
They believe that they are the pure bloodline of the jewish people, gods chosen. They feel that they are the master race.
I know a couple of them and they really think that they are above every one else.(and one of them has a 14 year old daughter who is married in the eyes of their church, child rape if you ask me)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

43 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Commietator 146,848
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 6 min hillian 81,559
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 3 hr Flint hill bandit 16,129
Tommy that use to work at oasis pizza 4 hr Melussa 1
Teresa Johnson and Rex 4 hr Dang 2
Jason Lee (Oct '13) 4 hr PalfromGA 7
Marlena cox 5 hr Tara 60
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder Sun sheila 420
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000