Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,921 - 91,940 of 128,911 Comments Last updated 58 min ago
ApotentateofFran cis

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Just WONDERING, why do MOST of the Christians FEEL the need to CAPITALIZE a lot of THEIR words when THEY post on here?
I was under the impression that all caps is equivalent to SCREAMING in typing land.
Please have some regard for the eardrums of others. The Vatricane of the auditorily sensitive shall appreciates that.
Sman

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
I want to speak to you about something that will trouble most of you and be frightening to some of you.
In our ommunities, where we live and work, where our children play, there is an influx od evil. Yes, there are christians in our communities. They are building churches and trying to push their evil cult on to innocent children. They are even trying to teach their evil cult in our public schools, hoping to poison the innocent minds of our children.
It is our duty as good humane people to root out this evil and remove it from our communities. We must burn this evil away. We can not let the evil christian cult to take root in our communities and spread their poison.
I call upon all good Satanist to help eradicate this evilness. We can not stand by and let the christian cult spread through our communities, we must protect chrildren from this horror!
Cute. But, not really.
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Been burnt before , may again some day.....

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Some good ole Mr. Deity. Fun for the whole family!

And the curmudgeon himself, the Black Pope of Atheism.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
They are attempting to make up for a lack of logic and rational thought with volume. I suspect it's the way they were raised. Whoever was the loudest in an argument walked away the perceived victor.
I agree, it seems to be a habit of most fundies to use caps when debating or writing about the bible.

The trait of a once fundie preacher shows how to make money making people laugh, with emphasis.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>But you believe in marrage for 13 year old girls?
No. I don't, nor have I led anyone to believe that I support that. I do know that girls married very young hundreds of years ago. It wasn't frowned on in America until the 1900's. Different society then. Seems pretty creepy to me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. How does being "not first" to believe a stupid thing make it better?
Right. Smith "found" a new book of the Bible, hidden in the hills of the good ole US of A. What are the odds!?
What are your thoughts on the Book of Abraham?
Just pointing out that it is not something to brand Mormons with dreaming up.

The story behind the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ - not an added book to the Bible) is no less plausible than anything written in the Bible. A prophet was told to leave Jerusalem. He and his family sailed to Central America. Their posterity lived in the Americas for many years. They kept a record of what happened. The last record keeper buried it to be found later. Sounds very plausible when you consider how God freed a ton of Hebrew slaves from a powerful Pharoah with plagues, fed them bread from the sky, wrote the Ten Commandments Himself on stone tablets, etc etc, I could go on and on.

What's so hard to believe that the Book of Mormon happened the way Joseph and all his witnesses say it did?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply. I would like to know if Mormons can perform miracles today. A friend and I went to see a man about a car, he was a Mormon and talk to us about his religion. The man had a wand that he took from a nice jewelry case and placed it on his coffee table while talking to us about his religion.
Any way after leaving and not buying the car for sale, my friend ask me if I saw what happen when the Mormon placed the wane on the coffee table we were sitting around. I said that I notice nothing. My friend said that he saw the wand had turned into a snake and the Mormon man notice that my friend was startled by what happen.
The Mormon man notice that I was not startled and just said " I like you, you're different", not sure what he meant by that.
So by your knowledge have you ever heard of this type of magic perform by a Mormon today? If so why a wand was used?
Sorry, but I think you made this up.

To answer the first sentence, which seemed like a real question:
Mormons, nor anyone else can perform a miracle. Only God can. Those that hold the priesthood of God can be an instrument in helping perform miracles. The priesthood is simply the power to act in God's name. We are only a tool that can be used in God's hands.
Carl Sagan

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

*A wild Carl Sagan appears*
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I don't, nor have I led anyone to believe that I support that. I do know that girls married very young hundreds of years ago. It wasn't frowned on in America until the 1900's. Different society then. Seems pretty creepy to me.
It's refreshing to see a LDS for a discussion on this forum about your beliefs. You might feel that some just hate Mormons by thier comments as might be true of some. I think it gives you a chance to explain your beliefs when questioned by those who do not belong to your faith.

I'm not a Mormon or ever belong to your faith, that said, I would be interested if you would ever debate with one who no longer believes in your faith who was once a member? I don't know of one that has posted yet, except for other faiths that debate here that say LDS are not christians. Although I do not belong to your faith, I do respect what you have to say.

My story about meeting the Mormon with the magic wand may sound made up, yet it is the truth. I don't know if the fellow was of a different Mormon sect or not. I could understand if you may not want to reply to my question about it, it may have been offensive of me to have me ask you about my story, yet, I was just curious.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I think you made this up.
To answer the first sentence, which seemed like a real question:
Mormons, nor anyone else can perform a miracle. Only God can. Those that hold the priesthood of God can be an instrument in helping perform miracles. The priesthood is simply the power to act in God's name. We are only a tool that can be used in God's hands.
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I can understand why you may not believe my story, maybe my friend and this fellow was playing some kind of joke on me, I never question the veracity of what my friend told me at that time.

Now that you have said the priesthood of God can be an instrument in helping perform miracles. What kind of miracles can they perform as instruments of God and what miracles have you ever witness or know about yourself?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
It's refreshing to see a LDS for a discussion on this forum about your beliefs. You might feel that some just hate Mormons by thier comments as might be true of some. I think it gives you a chance to explain your beliefs when questioned by those who do not belong to your faith.
I'm not a Mormon or ever belong to your faith, that said, I would be interested if you would ever debate with one who no longer believes in your faith who was once a member? I don't know of one that has posted yet, except for other faiths that debate here that say LDS are not christians. Although I do not belong to your faith, I do respect what you have to say.
My story about meeting the Mormon with the magic wand may sound made up, yet it is the truth. I don't know if the fellow was of a different Mormon sect or not. I could understand if you may not want to reply to my question about it, it may have been offensive of me to have me ask you about my story, yet, I was just curious.
Mormons and magic don't really mix. However, we are still people, so maybe they had a Harry Potter fixation. No idea why an adult member of the LDS church would have a wand, seriously.

Joseph Smith was fixated with "seer stones" when he was a little kid. He thought you could use stones to find buried treasure. There are even reports of him being hired to do this as a youth. However, the interesting thing is that the Bible mentions 2 stones used for translating called the Urim and Thummim. When he was shown where the plates were buried, the Urim and Thummim were there as well. He says that he used them to translate the Book of Mormon through the Holy Ghost.

I don't mind speaking to anyone about my religion. I enjoy it. I'm not much for insulting bash sessions though. That seems to be what this turns into on this forum, but I'm willing to talk to anyone. This thread goes quickly. I'll try to keep up.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I can understand why you may not believe my story, maybe my friend and this fellow was playing some kind of joke on me, I never question the veracity of what my friend told me at that time.
Now that you have said the priesthood of God can be an instrument in helping perform miracles. What kind of miracles can they perform as instruments of God and what miracles have you ever witness or know about yourself?
Stupid page locked up and lost my long response. I'll just retype the most interesting one. This happened to a friend of mine.

His son cut his ear badly to the point it was hanging there. He called 911 but obviously the wait was awful. His son was freaking out over all the blood so he took him in a dark closet so he couldn't see it. While in there he gave him a priesthood blessing and the kid stopped crying a bit later. When he opened the door the kid's ear showed no signs of injury. They kept the bloody clothes to show their friends what God did for them. The boy remembers what happened too. He was about 6 or so.

I have personally seen people cured from illnesses, even cancer (even after doctors gave up) after priesthood holders annointed with oil. It all has to do with faith. Faith of the person in need and of the priesthood holder.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Mormons and magic don't really mix. However, we are still people, so maybe they had a Harry Potter fixation. No idea why an adult member of the LDS church would have a wand, seriously.
Joseph Smith was fixated with "seer stones" when he was a little kid. He thought you could use stones to find buried treasure. There are even reports of him being hired to do this as a youth. However, the interesting thing is that the Bible mentions 2 stones used for translating called the Urim and Thummim. When he was shown where the plates were buried, the Urim and Thummim were there as well. He says that he used them to translate the Book of Mormon through the Holy Ghost.
I don't mind speaking to anyone about my religion. I enjoy it. I'm not much for insulting bash sessions though. That seems to be what this turns into on this forum, but I'm willing to talk to anyone. This thread goes quickly. I'll try to keep up.
Seer Stones and Urim and Thmmim, interesting. Others read this forum just for information or entertainment without engaging for a discussion. To find truth about things someone has to test them according to what the bible says and to see if it's truly from God, Satan, or men.

Maybe you are the true watchman the bible talks about. Know one will no unless you weld from the sword of truth. It will be a rough ride until the end as some christians claim, so sharing your knowledge in the face of adversity may save a lost soul.

Interesting healing story, that you had. I have one of healing by being prayed for by 4 or 5 Seventh Day Advantist. Although I was only about 8 years old at the time. I was bitten to the bone by a feralcat on the for arm.

My arm swell up and I had a fever, my parents call the church that nite and members came over to pray for my recovery. I heard them talking in the backgroud and one said that I might die. I was frighten....lookin into my mother's gave me hope.

The next day the fever had broken and swelling had gone down. I don't really know if God did it or just plain luck. You may ask why my parents never took me to a hospital, I still do not know why to this day and never ask them. I'm just thankful I did not die.

Have to go, have a good nite.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

looking into my mother's eyes gave me hope.
listening

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

While we try to teach our Children about life. Our children teach Us ,what Life is all about.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just pointing out that it is not something to brand Mormons with dreaming up.
The story behind the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ - not an added book to the Bible) is no less plausible than anything written in the Bible. A prophet was told to leave Jerusalem. He and his family sailed to Central America. Their posterity lived in the Americas for many years. They kept a record of what happened. The last record keeper buried it to be found later. Sounds very plausible when you consider how God freed a ton of Hebrew slaves from a powerful Pharoah with plagues, fed them bread from the sky, wrote the Ten Commandments Himself on stone tablets, etc etc, I could go on and on.
What's so hard to believe that the Book of Mormon happened the way Joseph and all his witnesses say it did?
Plausible compared to....?
Apparently, there is no limit to the things some people are susceptible to believing. Does this mean we should hang a sign over the door of science, civics and history classrooms, "Cędite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius?"
Plurbisduhmbus

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Plausible compared to....?
Apparently, there is no limit to the things some people are susceptible to believing. Does this mean we should hang a sign over the door of science, civics and history classrooms, "Cędite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius?"
Yeah, especially if dysfunctional idiots are doing nothing but wasting time by the HOURS.

That phrase cold keep the likes of such busy for a whole day.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid page locked up and lost my long response. I'll just retype the most interesting one. This happened to a friend of mine.
His son cut his ear badly to the point it was hanging there. He called 911 but obviously the wait was awful. His son was freaking out over all the blood so he took him in a dark closet so he couldn't see it. While in there he gave him a priesthood blessing and the kid stopped crying a bit later. When he opened the door the kid's ear showed no signs of injury. They kept the bloody clothes to show their friends what God did for them. The boy remembers what happened too. He was about 6 or so.
I have personally seen people cured from illnesses, even cancer (even after doctors gave up) after priesthood holders annointed with oil. It all has to do with faith. Faith of the person in need and of the priesthood holder.
I call bull. I will relate to you this truestory. A mormon suffering from sarcoidosis that did not respond to the known treatments prayed and claimed to have had a vison from god that he was cured so he stopped going to doctors and told every one that god cured him. He is on oxygen now and has very little time left. Because he refused medical treatment that could have helped slow down the illness and given him 20 more years of life he will die with in the year.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Yiago wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6gnQz32c5EA
Some good ole Mr. Deity. Fun for the whole family!
And the curmudgeon himself, the Black Pope of Atheism.
Shermer: "I went to Pepperdine University, practically his alma mater",
Jesus: "My what?"
That cracked me up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tommy that use to work at oasis pizza 3 min Melussa 1
Teresa Johnson and Rex 54 min Dang 2
Jason Lee (Oct '13) 1 hr PalfromGA 7
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Jay 146,845
Marlena cox 1 hr Tara 60
Did anyone go to the SOAR listening session? 2 hr Jack 1
Terry Jones 3 hr Man 2
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder Sun sheila 420
•••