Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,471

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
haha

Hyden, KY

#96079 Mar 13, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>A person that is good of human nature will be good no matter what religion he/she follows.
I look at people who claim to follow Christ as ether Christian or the christian cult. Christian are good people who TRY to follow good teachings from what the bible claims Christ taught, the christian cult does not.
You do not need to believe in some god to be a good person
I agree completely! You can't make any assumptions about someone based on what religion they belong to. Everyone has a unique understanding of their own faith, their own reasons for their belief, and different motivations in general.

But when a group is in the majority or wields any sort of political influence, you see certain personality types become prevalent. Christians who believe their religion should be taught in public schools because they have a strong historic role and a simple majority are a great example.
haha

Hyden, KY

#96080 Mar 13, 2013
LittleQueen wrote:
Truthfully though, schools need to concentrate on the basics....mathematics, language arts, history, etc. You have kids who graduate from high school and can't write a complete sentence, or can't find North Korea on a map, or name any major world leader. No wonder we are so far behind other nations in these subjects.
This! I think religion is a very personal matter, and parents should teach their kids about it at home, or through church if they wish. Religion in schools, in any form other than how it applies to a history lesson, feels like social engineering to me.

As you said, our schools are behind globally. We should focus on critical thinking, problem solving, the math and language skills necessary to be productive, and verifiable fact. In short, skills and knowledge. Not ideologies.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#96081 Mar 13, 2013
LittleQueen wrote:
"A person that is good of human nature will be good no matter what religion he/she follows."
I agree with you 100%, Satanic Priest!
I don't think following a certain religion, be it
Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or whatever, guarantees that you will be a good person. It depends on how you are raised.
I think, if schools want to have a bible study, they should create a class that would study all faiths, so that kids can understand that their faith is not the only one that exists. They can also learn that many of the faiths have things in common, and hopefully this will lead them to be a little more understanding about people who believe differently from them.
Truthfully though, schools need to concentrate on the basics....mathematics, language arts, history, etc. You have kids who graduate from high school and can't write a complete sentence, or can't find North Korea on a map, or name any major world leader. No wonder we are so far behind other nations in these subjects.
Yes.
Kids should be taught HOW to think (fact gathering, deductive/inductive reasoning, critical thinking, and other mental skills)....not WHAT to think.

LEARNING is more than regurgitating lessons.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#96082 Mar 13, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Obvioulsy, and to opinions of BIGOTRY.
But not really the right to harrass, stalk others, hamr others in anyway OR incite hatred.
This is 2013, there's laws against that kind of stupid now too.
Bigotry? Inciting hatred? You mean like homophobic preachers do?

I'd say the fundamentalists get hamred all the time in threads like this one.

Since: Jan 13

Lexington, KY

#96083 Mar 13, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Kids should be taught HOW to think (fact gathering, deductive/inductive reasoning, critical thinking, and other mental skills)....not WHAT to think.
LEARNING is more than regurgitating lessons.
I totally agree!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96084 Mar 13, 2013
Lucky wrote:
Worse for the US there is a reason to have seperation of church and State it's called Islamic Law!, and it's ( Islam) is the fastest growing religion in the US! Be careful what you ask for!

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96085 Mar 13, 2013
Lucky wrote:
Worse for the US there is a reason to have seperation of church and State it's called Islamic Law!, and it's ( Islam) is the fastest growing religion in the US! Be careful what you ask for!
When you resort to scare tactics you are proving that you do not have anything legit to say.
Oh, Islam is not the fastest growing religion in the U.S. More people are Pagan than any other religion

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96086 Mar 13, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
They don't want Bible study in public schools because they prefer we teach leftist propaganda.
So the reason that the Bible isn't taught in public schools is because "they," the atheists who don't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of being elected to school boards or state legislatures, prohibit it in favor of having Communist Manifesto Study.
I see you're up to your regular standards for flawless analysis, Brain_D.
Blahblablah

London, KY

#96087 Mar 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigotry? Inciting hatred? You mean like homophobic preachers do?
I'd say the fundamentalists get hamred all the time in threads like this one.
If the shoe fits...

Just that NON ignorant, NO idiots realize, those kinds of "shoes" are NOT exclusive to any herd pack mass, regardless of race, creed or color.

(IE aka: How tell nothing but bullchit hypocricy and/or bigotry from anyone that has some commons sense.)

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96088 Mar 13, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>When you resort to scare tactics you are proving that you do not have anything legit to say.
Oh, Islam is not the fastest growing religion in the U.S. More people are Pagan than any other religion
I would argue that if you sort all the religies by type and origins, your true measure of the fastest growing group is to sweep them all up together again, vacuum the carpet and write "Idiocy" on the side of the bag.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96089 Mar 13, 2013
Blahblablah wrote:
<quoted text>
If the shoe fits...
Just that NON ignorant, NO idiots realize, those kinds of "shoes" are NOT exclusive to any herd pack mass, regardless of race, creed or color.
(IE aka: How tell nothing but bullchit hypocricy and/or bigotry from anyone that has some commons sense.)
shrug. I contend that I'm prejudiced without having to rely on the Bible, Tanakh, Qur'an, etc. for justification. You can call me an arrogant egocentric hypocrite for that self awareness - I've answered to worse.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96090 Mar 13, 2013
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
I REFUSE to fuel this fire any longer!!!
May God Bless ALL
Oh come on now. I really wanted to see your answer to my question about why your god is so cruel.

I guess it will remain a mystery.
Speak it

United States

#96091 Mar 13, 2013
Who are we to say what kids should Learn or not learn, would it not be better to believe than not to, God is love and he ask of no wrong so if you we the people weren't so convicted to the right thing then we would love God too, it has no matter what religion you are there are many different religions that use the same BIBLE and it's all comes to knowing one thing and that is Jesus died on a cross to save you from the sins of the world.. And Lord knows we have enough hate in this world already so know we are not asking to teach your children religion we asking to teach them the good things of the world and how to treat others and then if they decide that they want to believe in the GOD then they have made a well educated choice...

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96092 Mar 13, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on now. I really wanted to see your answer to my question about why your god is so cruel.
I guess it will remain a mystery.
They would not answer me about the character of their god, could it be that they do not believe in a god?
Yeah

Cincinnati, OH

#96093 Mar 13, 2013
NAH wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not want my tax dollars propagating religion, I say this as a God fearing person. Christianity today, the koran tomorrow, no thanks. Let good parents do their job it will give their children an advantage like no other.
Who do you think pays for the drug dealer sitting in Jail, which would you rather pay for. Regardless of your religion, the bible teaches morals, and what is wrong with morals

“There is no god”

War, WV

#96094 Mar 13, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you think pays for the drug dealer sitting in Jail, which would you rather pay for. Regardless of your religion, the bible teaches morals, and what is wrong with morals
The bible teaches that it is good to have slaves, selling your daughter is good, killing children is good, are these your morals?
If you behave because you think some imaginary super being is watching you than you do not have good morals, you just cower under threats.

Location hidden

#96095 Mar 13, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>They would not answer me about the character of their god, could it be that they do not believe in a god?
Could be, could be....

Location hidden

#96096 Mar 13, 2013
Speak it wrote:
Who are we to say what kids should Learn or not learn
Taxpayers in this case. The question is "should children be taught religion in public schools" and the correct answer, according to our constitution, is "no". Outside of a comparative religion / history sense that is.
Speak it wrote:
would it not be better to believe than not to
No, not in my opinion.
Speak it wrote:
... it has no matter what religion you are there are many different religions that use the same BIBLE and it's all comes to knowing one thing and that is Jesus died on a cross to save you from the sins of the world..
You do realize there are other religions outside of Christianity don't you? Some of which even use the same bible (except for the new testament).

Location hidden

#96097 Mar 13, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather not pay for either. But part of that is a different topic (e.g., whether the drug war has been a good use of taxpayer money or not).

It's not a question of what would I rather pay for though, it's a question of constitutionality. And the first amendment is pretty clear, in my opinion, that religion should not be taught in public schools.

Then, as Satanic Priest pointed out, teaching kids to do the right thing because an invisible man who lives in the sky is watching them is hardly what I consider "moral".

“See how you are?”

Earth

#96098 Mar 13, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather not pay for either. But part of that is a different topic (e.g., whether the drug war has been a good use of taxpayer money or not).
It's not a question of what would I rather pay for though, it's a question of constitutionality. And the first amendment is pretty clear, in my opinion, that religion should not be taught in public schools.
Then, as Satanic Priest pointed out, teaching kids to do the right thing because an invisible man who lives in the sky is watching them is hardly what I consider "moral".
I don't find that having and teaching moral standards is wrong.
The problem is that the message is mixed with gobbledygook.

Jesus didn't die for anyone's sins but his own - and that "sin" was disturbing the profits and social controls of the temple.
Funny how people say you must hate God when you start mentioning TBN, CBN, Robertson, Copeland, Hinn etc.'s bank accounts. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 5 min when 36
who will you vote for as jailer 15 min My opinion 79
Phillip Vaughn 31 min cody 8
Who will win for Knox County Jailer 2014 56 min Citizen 15
looking for a sugar baby 4 hr guy 1
Indictments 8 hr John 23
Allen Messer Dying of Lung Cancer? 8 hr Barbourville Supe... 11
Sheila and Jennifer Brown 19 hr John 3
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. 21 hr Curiouswonderer 4
Barbourville Dating