Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,590)

Showing posts 91,781 - 91,800 of122,595
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree with you more. Healthy debate is, well...healthy. And having different opinions is a good thing. Any position that anyone holds needs to be able to stand up to scrutiny. And anyone who is honest with themselves (I believe) would seek out opposing views and debate them. Not necessarily to vanquish the opposition, but to ensure that their own position is viable.
Having said that, there are a lot of people who don't understand the difference between "knowledge" and "belief" and that makes it hard to even have a rational discussion, let alone a healthy debate.
"anyone who is honest with themselves (I believe) would seek out opposing views and debate them"

And naturally this raises the eternal question which festers deep in the souls of everyone present.
Which is better - Krystal's or White Castle?
haha

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

I used to be like that. I was born into a christian home. As a kid I always worried about my Mom and Dad, and eventually myself, dying. Sometimes I would lie awake at night thinking about eventually losing my parents. I'd always run to their bed side and ask for a bible story, to remind me that death wasn't the end. All through early adulthood, the more logical part of my brain was screaming at me that I really didn't know for sure my beliefs were accurate. If someone called me out on it, I got defensive, irrational, and came across as a bit of a zealot. I was not comfortable having my beliefs challenged at all.

I just wanted to keep believing that I knew 100% sure, that in the end, everyone would be okay and wouldn't simply cease to exist. Survival instinct, fear and denial kept me from thinking clearly.

It took a long time to come to terms with the fact that I don't have all the answers. When I finally made peace with it though, it was a truer peace than the kind that came with those delusions of certainty. Eventually I decided not only that I was not sure God existed, but that in likelihood it probably does not exist.

I'm not openly an atheist. I have so many friends who depend on their faith for security. As long as they don't try to use their religion to justify putting down or hurting someone else, I never challenge them. But for me, being away from religion has been very freeing. I can follow my own moral compass instead of blindly trusting words written by someone else to dictate my life. I don't feel guilt for questioning things or going my own way. Science articles that contradict the bible don't cause me a faith crisis, since I have no faith. I'm free to just take it all in objectively, and it has been fulfilling both intellectually and spiritually.

Following my own path has taught me more than any preacher or prophet ever could have.
haha

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"anyone who is honest with themselves (I believe) would seek out opposing views and debate them"
And naturally this raises the eternal question which festers deep in the souls of everyone present.
They both suck but I like the fried apple turnovers at Krystal's.:P
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

either or , I love them both..lol Good day all...

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to ask the tough questions. HMMMM I will have to give both a fair chance over a long period of time.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You have to ask the tough questions. HMMMM I will have to give both a fair chance over a long period of time.
KY and TN are the only two states that have both. The yankees totally miss out on Scramblers.
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>It is HISTORICAL & PROVEN by Archeologists who NOW have Scientists beginning to BELIEVE in their findings!
Makes me HAPPY
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

I can tell you how I know my GOD IS REAL! I know that BUDDA & MUHAMMAD are still in their graves, but, MY JESUS IS RISEN & very much ALIVE IN MY HEART!! Check the BORROWED TOMB, He's NOT there!
Amen
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Too bad for him...
God is real, and Just!
God doesn't want anyone to go to hell. It's a choice a person makes. Like the choice you are making to not believe. But God actually gives us ALL a measure of faith. There is a VOID within you that you will NEVER b filled with anything else. Are you really at peace? When trouble comes, how do you handle adversity? Do you love people?
People who are close to God and KNOW HIM ...not know of Him ...(That's the HUGE difference) will love all people and you will know who they are. This has been said by many they out this post. GOD is GOOD ALL the TIME! If you truly seemed Him out you to would find this to b true. You are only hurting yourself, possibly your friends and YOUR own FAMILY by denying the CREATOR! Surely with as intelligent as you sound you are checking ALL resources available. Human body alone...arteries, heart, EYE... Come on... The BIBLE is being fulfilled whether you believe or not. It will ALL come to pass... Hate or LOVE on... GOD BLESS YOU ALL! Thank you God for persuing me and SAVING me..from ME!
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Great resources ..
The Case for a Creator, Dr. Lee Strobel

Darwin or design. Paul A. Nelson

How Biology Points toward God.
Dr. Raymond Bohlil

How the Universe Points Toward God
Dr John Bloom

The Intersection of Science and Faith
Dr Craig Hazen

(NOT MORMON...)
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

haha wrote:
<quoted text>It has never been verified that this ever happened. Every religion has stories of miracles accomplished by different gods. Why do you believe your particular religion's accounts of miracles, and disbelief the rest?
See happys post. GREAT RESOURCES
haha

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>God doesn't want anyone to go to hell. It's a choice a person makes. Like the choice you are making to not believe. But God actually gives us ALL a measure of faith. There is a VOID within you that you will NEVER b filled with anything else. Are you really at peace? When trouble comes, how do you handle adversity? Do you love people?
People who are close to God and KNOW HIM ...not know of Him ...(That's the HUGE difference) will love all people and you will know who they are. This has been said by many they out this post. GOD is GOOD ALL the TIME! If you truly seemed Him out you to would find this to b true. You are only hurting yourself, possibly your friends and YOUR own FAMILY by denying the CREATOR! Surely with as intelligent as you sound you are checking ALL resources available. Human body alone...arteries, heart, EYE... Come on... The BIBLE is being fulfilled whether you believe or not. It will ALL come to pass... Hate or LOVE on... GOD BLESS YOU ALL! Thank you God for persuing me and SAVING me..from ME!

See, that's the kind of pompous overreach that irritates me. We are not born with a measure of faith. Have you ever looked around the world and noticed most people tend to just follow within the norm of their family? If you are born in a Muslim country, you tend to be Muslim. Christian country and family? You're likely to follow suit. Same with smaller sects as well. There is not some universal, natural faith in some specific God.

And yes, love for people exists independently of religion, as does morality. Thinking someone can't experience love, be a good person or overcome adversity without believing the same thing as you is very arrogant.

I'm in a committed relationship. I would do absolutely anything for my family or partner. I've had a great life and can't complain, yet I have faced a lot of adversity and overcame a lot of problems.

Actually, doing the right thing is more fulfilling for me when I do it for its own sake instead of because some promised reward after death.

Being aware of life's delicacy and brevity makes every moment and every life more precious. Ever second I'm alive is a wonder, and I'm highly aware of that. I cherish everything, and the universe amazes me. Don't need a god to feel any of that.
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
God doesn't want anyone to go to hell. It's a choice a person makes. Like the choice you are making to not believe. But God actually gives us ALL a measure of faith. There is a VOID within you that you will NEVER b filled with anything else. Are you really at peace? When trouble comes, how do you handle adversity? Do you love people?
Thus Saith the LORD! AMEN. I THANK God EVERYDAY for my Salvation thru GRACE & the BLOOD & ALLOWING me to be a CHILD of HIS!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

haha wrote:
<quoted text>
See, that's the kind of pompous overreach that irritates me. We are not born with a measure of faith. Have you ever looked around the world and noticed most people tend to just follow within the norm of their family? If you are born in a Muslim country, you tend to be Muslim. Christian country and family? You're likely to follow suit. Same with smaller sects as well. There is not some universal, natural faith in some specific God.
And yes, love for people exists independently of religion, as does morality. Thinking someone can't experience love, be a good person or overcome adversity without believing the same thing as you is very arrogant.
I'm in a committed relationship. I would do absolutely anything for my family or partner. I've had a great life and can't complain, yet I have faced a lot of adversity and overcame a lot of problems.
Actually, doing the right thing is more fulfilling for me when I do it for its own sake instead of because some promised reward after death.
Being aware of life's delicacy and brevity makes every moment and every life more precious. Ever second I'm alive is a wonder, and I'm highly aware of that. I cherish everything, and the universe amazes me. Don't need a god to feel any of that.
Well stated and absolutely correct... Religion is human ego run amuck... The view that the whole of the universe was created for a mold growing on a speck of dust floating around a minor ball of light in a minor batch of little balls of light is the epitome of Human Ego run Amuck...

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Thus Saith the LORD! AMEN. I THANK God EVERYDAY for my Salvation thru GRACE & the BLOOD & ALLOWING me to be a CHILD of HIS!
Yea, you freaks love blood
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, you freaks love blood
Jesus was persecuted & said Believers would be also! If calling me names makes you feel better, then, so be it. As for loving blood, we as Christians are thankful for God's ONLY Son shedding His blood for OUR sins, unlike the way SATAN loves blood!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>Do Mormons wear sacred underwear to protect themselves from non-Mormons? Just curious, where in the book of Mormon does it require you wear it?

By replying to me does that help you to be exalted to a God someday.

Can I down load a free pdf of the book of Mormon online? I want to verify quotes from the book of Mormon.
We are not required to wear sacred undergarments. We choose to wear them to serve as a reminder of sacred covenants that we make with our Father in Heaven. It is symbolic of the garments given to Adam and Eve in the garden to cover themselves once they learned they were naked. Therefore it also promotes modesty.

No replying to you only helps me educate people who think we are weirdos because of the way some people distort our beliefs to make us sound strange.

You can go to the LDS.org website and look through all of our scriptures.
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

haha wrote:
<quoted text>See, that's the kind of pompous overreach that irritates me. We are not born with a measure of faith. Have you ever looked around the world and noticed most people tend to just follow within the norm of their family? If you are born in a Muslim country, you tend to be Muslim. Christian country and family? You're likely to follow suit. Same with smaller sects as well. There is not some universal, natural faith in some specific God.

ROMANS 12:3 MEASURE OF FAITH
For I say, thru the grace given to me, to everyone whom is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to thin soberly, as God has dealt to each one A MEASURE OF FAITH.
Well where do you think DOING THE RIGHT THING COMES FROM ... You?
HOW WERE YOU BORN WITH THat? Hmmmm....lol. O K
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

haha wrote:
<quoted text>See, that's the kind of pompous overreach that irritates me. We are not born with a measure of faith. Have you ever looked around the world and noticed most people tend to just follow within the norm of their family? If you are born in a Muslim country, you tend to be Muslim. Christian country and family? You're likely to follow suit. Same with smaller sects as well. There is not some universal, natural faith in some specific God.

I'm GLAD I don't feel the way you do. I have peace even in the hardest of times..if you can honestly say that.. Well good for you. God bless..I'm glad I have a Heavenly Father that provides for me and takes care of me..
haha

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
ROMANS 12:3 MEASURE OF FAITH
For I say, thru the grace given to me, to everyone whom is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to thin soberly, as God has dealt to each one A MEASURE OF FAITH.
Well where do you think DOING THE RIGHT THING COMES FROM ... You?
HOW WERE YOU BORN WITH THat? Hmmmm....lol. O K
Quoting the bible doesn't offer proof of a concept, when you are talking to someone who does not accept the bible as divinely inspired. While I respect your belief, you should consider that evidence is not on your side. As I said. Many religions. Most people stay in the one they were born into. People who do not hear about christianity from society are not instinctively aware of it. Evidence strongly suggests that we are not born with faith knowledge of, or therefore faith in, any specific deity.

That you find the idea of morality without god laughable shows a very closed mind. You state it and laugh, yet you probably can't tell me why you find it funny. Trust me, it is completely possible.

Look at the religious people you know. Some would do anything for anyone, and a subset of those are very humble about it. Then you have others who think they are right with God, who can justify anything they do to themselves and never do anything to help anyone, without an ulterior motive. Outside of your religion, it is much the same. Some people have a sincere love for others and a desire to have a positive impact on those around them. Some do not.

The point is, you find good and bad, inside and outside of religion. My point is that no particular religion, nor religion in general, holds some monopoly on morality.

Assuming therefore, that morality must come from some god is a major leap in logic.

Trying to tell me that you know with certainty that anyone else's morality stems from your god whether they know it or not, is again very arrogant on your part. You presume to know people's needs and motivations better than they do themselves. Vanity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 91,781 - 91,800 of122,595
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

137 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min Mao-bama Zombies 138,427
T&L pawn Raided wed-19-2014 23 min Noisey busy bodies 118
timmy joe from jack's wheel allignment (Nov '12) 24 min BBQ 13
Eight arrested in Knox drug roundup... 34 min vote 15
Mayor files lawsuit against six council members 35 min Wendle Hamomans 155
Restaurant 37 min Well 4
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 54 min Goose Man 16,059
•••

Freeze Warning for Knox County was issued at April 16 at 5:55PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE