Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,587)

Showing posts 91,721 - 91,740 of122,513
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>I had Mormons come to my door a few times. Always a male, never saw a female Mormon going door to door. Anyway, they ask me to pray with them and I respectfully declined. Never had Mormons knock on my door again. Not sure if it was the refusal to pray with them or not. I'm not sure if the Mormons keep a list of people to wack when Armageddon starts. Yet, I still go to Kentucky fried chicken for a bucket of chicken or fish and chips.
They won't come back usually if you ask them not to.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Women are property for Mormons. The must be subservant to the males. It is sick really because one person I know has a now 14 Y/O daughter who is married (in her churches eyes).
That isn't true of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm not sure who you know, but they are horribly misled. My wife is my equal partner

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>State of Delaware could marry a 7 Y/O in 1880. Are there a lot of Mormons in that state at that time?

http://chnm.gmu.edu/cyh/teaching-modules/230...
No. They were mostly in Utah then. You do know that a lot of America thought of marrying age a lot younger in society back then, right? Life expectancy was much less than today.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Mormons as a whole didn't think blacks were inferior. A lot of America did back in the 1800's including Brigham Young. He spoke a lot of his opinion about blacks, but this was not the way Joseph Smith felt about them. Joseph had several black friends and they were members of the church. This was one of the reasons the people of Missouri hated Mormons so much that they put out an official extermination order against them. It was legal to kill someone in Missouri if they were Mormon up until a few years ago. They finally lifted the order and apologized. In the 1830's they thought Mormons were abolitionists because of the black members of the church so they wanted them out. Obviously this was Brigham's opinion only.
Right, it is true that Smith didn't seem to be as racist as the others, to his credit. But the book he wrote, The Book of Mormon, does literally say that God cursed the Lamanites with dark skin:

[quote]And [God] had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people, the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God; I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities." (2 Nephi 5:21)[/quote]

This is part of their holy book, and if it is wrong then one can call the entire faith into question. Why would God put this in there if it wasn't accurate?

The LDS is led by a Prophet, chosen by Jesus himself. Brigham Young, who was most certainly an avid racist, was the Prophet of the church for 30 years and is in many ways far more responsible for their development than Smith.

So you have a church founded by a con man, then taken over by a racist. You have a holy book full of racist doctrine. You have a church that actively rejected blacks from holding the priesthood until the 1970s. Yet all of this is led by a man who was chosen by Jesus himself through revelation.

It is true that Mormons were singled out and persecuted by other types of Christians and to this day they hold a kind of shady character. But let's face it. When you you base your religion on these kinds of silly, hateful, stupid ideas you're going to get flack for it. I would never support the idea of hurting people for their beliefs but I do support the idea of calling them out on their dumb ideas.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Sorry for the botched quote attempt.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Oh, and when I said Smith was not as racist as the others that does not mean he wasn't a racist at all. It is pretty easy to find things he said that we would find shocking today:

"there is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient; more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less" (Doctrines of Salvation 1:61).

In other words, you're born black because in the per-existance you were a bad person.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Bible Study Rules!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain? I don't see the correlation, or was this a bad attempt at a joke?
Glen Larson. Producer, writer, cultist. I don't watch space operas, but apparently he wrote some mumbo jumbo into the series.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Bible Study Rules!
Brain_D. writter, consumer, cultist. I don't watch train wrecks, but apparently he writes mumbo jumbo into his posts.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain? I don't see the correlation, or was this a bad attempt at a joke?
O.K.

Some of the elements of the two Battlestar Galactica science-fiction television series created by Glen A. Larson seem to be derived from Mormon Latter-day Saint beliefs.

http://home.comcast.net/~billotto/Mormon_N_BS...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_my...
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? None of that describes the LDS Church.
Do Mormons wear sacred underwear to protect themselves from non-Mormons? Just curious, where in the book of Mormon does it require you wear it?

By replying to me does that help you to be exalted to a God someday.

Can I down load a free pdf of the book of Mormon online? I want to verify quotes from the book of Mormon.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Bible Study Rules!
If I lie everyday, can I be saved if I repent each time I lie?

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
If I lie everyday, can I be saved if I repent each time I lie?
If you are a christian you can cheat old people out of their lifes savings and than ask for forgiveness each time. That is not worship of a god but it lets you drive a new caddy

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

I understand that the christian cult is afraid that we will treat them like they treated us when they where a power.
Do not worry, we are good decent people with good humane values. We will not treat you as you treated us.
Really

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

No different than the Amish.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
All Christians believe that God is their higher power. If they do something wrong, they pray for forgiveness and according to their bible, they are forgiven. Now if God forgives them then they feel like getting the police involved isn't necessary. If they did something simple like lie to their wife then no problem, but if it's something like child molesting then the police need involved.
The Jehovah's Witnesses hides pedophiles in their congregation because of some stupid scripture saying there has to be two witnesses to find someone guilty. If a girl tells her elders that so and so molested her, they would bring in the accused and have the girl confront him. If he denies it then its his word against hers and nothing is done until another witness to the crime comes forth. They do not involve the police since it would make them look bad.
That's why the Conti girl got over 20 million in a settlement because the JW elders knew the guy was a pedophile but they thought he had changed and God forgave him. They did not warn the parents in the congregation about this pedophile and he just kept on abusing kids. The JW cult is so bad, someone set up a website to help those that were abused. It's called Silent Lambs and it's done an excellent job in helping abused children.
http://www.silentlambs.org/
Do JW men in 40 to 60 y/o range prefer to marry the younger attractive females that have reach the age of consent in their state rather than ones more their own age?

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do JW men in 40 to 60 y/o range prefer to marry the younger attractive females that have reach the age of consent in their state rather than ones more their own age?
No, they prefer the girls who are 12 to 13 years of age.
I am not making that up, the guy I know who has a daughter who was married (not legal but in their church) has a baby.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, to some degree. What I noticed with the JWs and the congregation I grew up in was there wasn't much to choose from. You can only date/marry other JWs and the pickings were slim around here. Finding a pretty JW girl was next to impossible and the cute ones were usually taken by the time they were old enough to do anything.
In a cult that teaches education isn't needed, the women tend to gravitate towards the older guys that could support them and keep them from having to work fast food with their crappy home schooled education.
As a rule tho, the JWs don't really consider an age gap a bad thing since they think they will live forever and never get old.
Does that mean the old JW's believe they will morph into a younger perfect body after Armageddon? Can JW's still sin and be put to death after Armageddon?

I found this on JW facts.

The topic of marriage in the New System is a touchy subject that caused distress for many of the sisters in my congregation. The Watchtower teaches that:

resurrected ones will not be allowed to marry in the earthly New System.

married survivors of Armageddon will remain married
single survivors of Armageddon may be allowed to marry, or they may not - this has changed back and forth over the years.

This teaching upsets older people whose loved partner dies, as they will not be allowed to re-marry them in the New System. It has also been a cause of distress for single Witnesses that have been unable to find partners and face eternity single, though this aspect has changed and at times the Watchtower has said the Great Crowd may be allowed to marry in the New System.

Watchtower reasoning is based on a misapplication of Luke 20:34-36, which is discussing a resurrection to heaven.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/marr...
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, to some degree. What I noticed with the JWs and the congregation I grew up in was there wasn't much to choose from. You can only date/marry other JWs and the pickings were slim around here. Finding a pretty JW girl was next to impossible and the cute ones were usually taken by the time they were old enough to do anything.
In a cult that teaches education isn't needed, the women tend to gravitate towards the older guys that could support them and keep them from having to work fast food with their crappy home schooled education.
As a rule tho, the JWs don't really consider an age gap a bad thing since they think they will live forever and never get old.
Your information is interesting, I never heard this before. Known Fact would just copy and paste scriptures and never really respond to this type of questioning in the why you have.

Thanks for the info and links.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

sorry typo "why" the way you have.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 91,721 - 91,740 of122,513
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Mao-bama Zombies 138,303
Is Paul Baker a good Disability Lawyer? (Dec '12) 1 hr Question 70
Larry dye and Amy dye 1 hr Just me 13
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr Anne52 81,182
Melissa Collett (May '12) 2 hr hot mama 41
mike baker for jailer 2 hr Games 3
lamon jones 2 hr eye witness 4
Eight arrested in Knox drug roundup... 4 hr your screwed 9
•••

Freeze Warning for Knox County was issued at April 15 at 9:40PM EDT

•••
•••
•••