Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,871

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#96036 Mar 12, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not required to wear sacred undergarments. We choose to wear them to serve as a reminder of sacred covenants that we make with our Father in Heaven. It is symbolic of the garments given to Adam and Eve in the garden to cover themselves once they learned they were naked. Therefore it also promotes modesty.
No replying to you only helps me educate people who think we are weirdos because of the way some people distort our beliefs to make us sound strange.
You can go to the LDS.org website and look through all of our scriptures.
But you believe in marrage for 13 year old girls?
haha

Hyden, KY

#96037 Mar 12, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you explain every society in the world, including indigenous tribes of the Amazon, Africa, and Polynesia (who have never heard of your god, let alone your bible) having, for the most part, the same moral framework? All societies value honesty and empathy and frown upon (in varying degrees) thievery, deception, and homicide.
Your faith doesn't even come close to having a monopoly on morality.
More importantly, as haha has pointed out, which is more moral?
A) The man who chooses to be honest just "because it feels good"
or
B) the man who chooses to be honest for fear of retribution
Well said! Especially your mention of empathy, which I feel is one of the keys to the true origin of morality. Intelligent creatures have the capacity to empathize with others. We know how it feels to be hurt, lied to, abused, abandoned and etc. We can look at situations and understand the emotions in it. Some people are conscientious of that and would rather bring joy than pain to others.

I think there are many other factors at play too, but my posts are always so long, so I'm just going to leave it at that. At any rate, you do not need a god to explain caring about others or trying to do the right thing.
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

#96038 Mar 12, 2013
<quoted text>
How do you explain every society in the world, including indigenous tribes of the Amazon, Africa, and Polynesia (who have never heard of your god, let alone your bible) having, for the most part, the same moral framework? All societies value honesty and empathy and frown upon (in varying degrees) thievery, deception, and homicide.
Your faith doesn't even come close to having a monopoly on morality.
More importantly, as haha has pointed out, which is more moral?
A) The man who chooses to be honest just "because it feels good"
or
B) the man who chooses to be honest for fear of retribution
The Bible says that when ALL EARS have heard The Word of God, then Christ will return. Where will YOU be, still denying God? I pray your heart & eyes will be opened before it's EVERLASTING too late. Someone can be the MOST honest, good, well-doing person, but if NOT BORN AGAIN THRU CHRIST, when death comes he WILL NOT enter the Gates of Heaven, he will be ETERNALLY damned to Hell.
haha

Hyden, KY

#96039 Mar 12, 2013
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says that when ALL EARS have heard The Word of God, then Christ will return. Where will YOU be, still denying God? I pray your heart & eyes will be opened before it's EVERLASTING too late. Someone can be the MOST honest, good, well-doing person, but if NOT BORN AGAIN THRU CHRIST, when death comes he WILL NOT enter the Gates of Heaven, he will be ETERNALLY damned to Hell.
Do you think an all powerful, caring god would allow people to be tortured for all eternity (a billion years, then another, then another, forever) because they didn't believe the "right" thing during a very comparatively brief existence here on earth? Even though God never talked to us directly, or gave us any lasting proof that your particular religion was the right one?

Even if someone that petty was god, I wouldn't want to serve him.

Also, what's up with you and capslock? Do you think bigger text makes you more right?

Additionally, rational questions were posed. Instead of replying with answers you ignored every point made and issued yet another lecture, based upon the assumption that you are correct in the first place.(An assumption you refuse to back with rational discussion.)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96040 Mar 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Sounds pretty cruel for a "loving" god.

I know a lot of parents, some of whom are frankly not that great at it. But, none of them would ever physically harm their children for something as small as not recognizing them.
How is it that humans, with all our imperfections, are more "humane" than your god?
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

#96041 Mar 12, 2013
haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Quoting the bible doesn't offer proof of a concept, when you are talking to someone who does not accept the bible as divinely inspired. While I respect your belief, you should consider that evidence is not on your side. As I said. Many religions. Most people stay in the one they were born into. People who do not hear about christianity from society are not instinctively aware of it. Evidence strongly suggests that we are not born with faith knowledge of, or therefore faith in, any specific deity.
That you find the idea of morality without god laughable shows a very closed mind. You state it and laugh, yet you probably can't tell me why you find it funny. Trust me, it is completely possible.
Look at the religious people you know. Some would do anything for anyone, and a subset of those are very humble about it. Then you have others who think they are right with God, who can justify anything they do to themselves and never do anything to help anyone, without an ulterior motive. Outside of your religion, it is much the same. Some people have a sincere love for others and a desire to have a positive impact on those around them. Some do not.
The point is, you find good and bad, inside and outside of religion. My point is that no particular religion, nor religion in general, holds some monopoly on morality.
Assuming therefore, that morality must come from some god is a major leap in logic.
Trying to tell me that you know with certainty that anyone else's morality stems from your god whether they know it or not, is again very arrogant on your part. You presume to know people's needs and motivations better than they do themselves. Vanity.
Christians are human too & we make mistakes & fall, but, we can ask our very Gracious & Forgiving God to forgive us & He will, unlike people! Yes, there are Christians that have a BAD WITNESS for Non-Believers, but they will answer to God on Judgement Day for THEIR actions! I Thank God for being so Faithful even when we're not!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#96042 Mar 12, 2013
haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, what's up with you and capslock? Do you think bigger text makes you more right?
I know, I feel like I'm reading ransom notes. I keep expecting to see where I'm supposed to leave the money...
haha

Hyden, KY

#96043 Mar 12, 2013
<quoted text>
I know, I feel like I'm reading ransom notes. I keep expecting to see where I'm supposed to leave the money...
AHHHH! It makes me MAD when someone DOESN'T BELIEVE THE SAME THING I DO!!! So I RAGE and starting saying STUFF THAT WOULD BE SCARY if I could prove it was TRUE, or at least explain why it's VERY LIKELY!!

THROW COMMON SENSE AND RATIONALITY ASIDE AND BELIEVE WHAT SOME ANCIENT WRITERS TOLD US TOO! Otherwise you BE TORTURED FOREVER by my LOVING GOD who FAILED TO MAKE HIMSELF KNOWN TO YOU!

AHHHHHHH! HALLELUJAH!!!!! AMEN!!!!

I know that's incredibly rude, but this conversation is just getting on my nerves.
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

#96044 Mar 12, 2013
If I offend you simply by using CAPS on some of my comments, I must somehow be hitting a nerve. I'm sorry to have offended you with my style of commenting, but I thought a FORUM was for giving your belief & comments on a subject being discussed! This sight is not a place for discussion, it has become a place for ATTACKING those expressing their beliefs & comments! Too much ANGER & NOT DISCUSSION for me! This is not mature but childish!
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC

Ashland, KY

#96045 Mar 12, 2013
I REFUSE to fuel this fire any longer!!!
May God Bless ALL
haha

Hyden, KY

#96046 Mar 12, 2013
If I offend you simply by using CAPS on some of my comments, I must somehow be hitting a nerve. I'm sorry to have offended you with my style of commenting, but I thought a FORUM was for giving your belief & comments on a subject being discussed! This sight is not a place for discussion, it has become a place for ATTACKING those expressing their beliefs & comments! Too much ANGER & NOT DISCUSSION for me! This is not mature but childish!
So you consider someone expressing an opinion, and being answered with caps lock decorated, unsupported, threats of damnation and passing opinion off as a fact, a rational conversation? This had become non-productive and insulting before I brought up your posting style.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#96047 Mar 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Christians are human too & we make mistakes & fall, but, we can ask our very Gracious & Forgiving God to forgive us & He will, unlike people! Yes, there are Christians that have a BAD WITNESS for Non-Believers, but they will answer to God on Judgement Day for THEIR actions! I Thank God for being so Faithful even when we're not!
Doing what the bible says is wrong over and over because it is inconvenient or does not suit your life style and thinking it is OK because you are forgiven is not the worship of a god

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#96048 Mar 12, 2013
I REFUSE to fuel this fire any longer!!!
May God Bless ALL
Bah Bye.... Tell the rest of your cult howdy....
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96049 Mar 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
. In America you have the Right to be stupid according to Joe Biden....
Obvioulsy, and to opinions of BIGOTRY.

But not really the right to harrass, stalk others, hamr others in anyway OR incite hatred.

This is 2013, there's laws against that kind of stupid now too.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96050 Mar 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are a Cultist, every cultist ask always screams in denial of their cult being a cult and then claim other peoples cults are really cults but not their cult... No one knocked on your heart and you let him in.. Your Heart Pumps Blood to oxygenate the cells in your body... Basic anatomy would be a better read for you....
And you, you belong to the cult of the merely being a judgeMENTAL hypocrite?

You have no right to decide what would be "better" read for anyone.

BTW, your pictures have been kind of lame lately.

(ooooooooooo ooo wait---there IT is---Quantumn belongs to the CULT of zen-lame-piktures!!!)
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96051 Mar 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll stick with Google earth....
Figures-lame picture taking of others personal space w/out anyone's permission.

Really quatumn? Paparazzi lowlife much? Are you that desperate?
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96052 Mar 12, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"anyone who is honest with themselves (I believe) would seek out opposing views and debate them"
And naturally this raises the eternal question which festers deep in the souls of everyone present.
Which is better - Krystal's or White Castle?
Vert n Gerts Dairy Bawr....down on the shoals in mussel, alabamer.

Eh, wanna try best onyeeyun rings next?
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96053 Mar 12, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
KY and TN are the only two states that have both. The yankees totally miss out on Scramblers.
Yah but veenerhead, you chromo's can't touche the fresh seafood.

Have a crawdad.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96054 Mar 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well stated and absolutely correct... Religion is human ego run amuck... The view that the whole of the universe was created for a mold growing on a speck of dust floating around a minor ball of light in a minor batch of little balls of light is the epitome of Human Ego run Amuck...
No personal invite to the Papal Pope Proceedings huh quanty?

Ooooo...poor wittle quanty.....

Do try to understand, they're rather busy with tradition in electing new leadership at the moment, you'll have to forgive them for oversite.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#96055 Mar 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>But you believe in marrage for 13 year old girls?
Welcome to 2013, and the age of Social Service protection for underage children, and civil laws for the pervs that violate such.

Really, it's not the dark ages anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need food badly 2 hr Nope 43
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 2 hr astronomyy 6
truck payments 2 hr gator for office 14
Heard Nick Mandel almost died 5 hr Creek it 2
looking to rent house or trailor 5 hr landlord 2
betty brown 6 hr dude 2
Night life in Barbourville 7 hr Boogy Nights 2
Porsche mills 7 hr worried 23
To the Garland family 8 hr Well.... 3
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51