Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,264

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95972 Mar 11, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, the JWs definitely think they will go full blown Twilight after Armageddon. Perfect humans in perfect bodies cleaning up billions of dead bodies after God gets done killing them. They believe that Satan will be bound for a 1000 years and during that time no one dies. After the 1000 years Satan is released to give everyone one final test then God kills Satan and all those that followed him.
JWFacts is correct on the whole flip flopping belief on who can marry, have sex and all that crap who are resurrected. I never gave it much thought because I figured God would destroy me for leaving that cult. They had me pretty brainwashed by the time I turned 18 and was allowed to move out from my parents.
This is all in line with information I learned through listening to podcast interviews with former JWs. It's amazing to me that grown people can hold these beliefs, especially with information so readily available. I can understand someone 50 years ago or more who was raised in it. But in 2013 when you can just Google the information from your pocket it seems ludicrous for any rational person to accept these things on faith.

One thing that strikes me, in listening to various interviews, you find that some of these people were doing the door-to-door thing and they were basically atheists. One guy said he literally *never* believed it once he passed about 8 or 9 years old. Yet that was his family, so he did what he was told. He was doing the door knocking as a young man trying to sell people an idea that he himself did not believe.

It makes you wonder how many people involved in these various sects are doing it out of habit or necessity rather than any kind of actual faith.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#95973 Mar 11, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
This post would be a lot more rational if you said "I believe god is real." "I believe you will meet the resurected lord" Etc.
Instead, you choose to state your beliefs and assumptions as fact. It is reckless, non constructive and narcissistic to assume your unproven beliefs are correct.
If you had overwhelming evidence to back up all this certainty, it would be justified. Instead of proof, you have only a feeling that you believe the right thing. People from many contradictory religions describe that, and you can't all be right, can you?
You should respect the beliefs of others and let go of that false certainty and sense of superiority.
Rational to you?
I KNOW God is real!
I Know Jesus is real!
I know we ALL come to an end!
I know we all will see judgement day!
I know we all will have to answer for our own mistakes!
I know Life is choices!
I know others will regret their choices of gods!
I know I'm 57, and it only took me 50 years to figure it out!
I know I wish you all had the certainty of the end as I do!
My sense of superiority is called the Righeousness of
God in Christ, and knowing that... It's Awesome!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#95974 Mar 11, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I will have to jump in and say you have to be more specific... There absolutely was a Flood that did happen Globally and the Evidence is around the globe in the form of cities under several hundred feet of water scattered around the globe....
But the Biblical Story of water covering the earth to the tops of all land masses ... That didn't happen.... But if you were sitting in a nice bungalow on the French coast and a 400 foot tsunami hit and when it settled down the Ocean Level was 100 foot higher in a matter of hours you might think it a Global Flood...
Mountains arose... sea life was on them, and... gee
none of us was there!
God is real, so I will take His word of what happened, as
your conjecture that it didn't happen holds lil wieght to
God's word!
Amen!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#95976 Mar 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
The idea that a good God would send people to a burning hell is utterly damnable to me. I don't want to have anything to do with such a God."
—Luther Burbank, interview in San Francisco Bulletin, Jan. 22, 1926
Too bad for him...
God is real, and Just!
blahblahblah

London, KY

#95977 Mar 11, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No. They were mostly in Utah then. You do know that a lot of America thought of marrying age a lot younger in society back then, right? Life expectancy was much less than today.
One good thing about internet, access to factual data repositories, where anyone can read accurate historical documentations for themselves!!

https://history.lds.org/...

(including how some Mormons headed west, from the East!)
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#95978 Mar 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Bible Study Rules!
Learning history beats hatin':-)
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#95979 Mar 11, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Mormons wear sacred underwear to protect themselves from non-Mormons? Just curious, where in the book of Mormon does it require you wear it?
By replying to me does that help you to be exalted to a God someday.
Can I down load a free pdf of the book of Mormon online? I want to verify quotes from the book of Mormon.
http://eadview.lds.org/findingaid/CR%20100%20...

Nothing like original, actually verfiable works huh?
So true

Morgantown, KY

#95980 Mar 11, 2013
Should we each be thankful for what we have? So much fussing over not havin enough. When the truth is we're not giving enough!!!
TruthIs

London, KY

#95981 Mar 11, 2013
So true wrote:
Should we each be thankful for what we have? So much fussing over not havin enough. When the truth is we're not giving enough!!!
Then maybe youz should be giving more, or at least TAKING LESS off of other peoples backs!
Notso

Frankfort, KY

#95983 Mar 11, 2013
Great Idea but which book are they going to use? An all inclusive book, non denominational, that the kids can twist and corrupt the readings? Also schools that are state and federal funded should not allow this due to seperation of church and state. Now if kids want to start a bible study before or after with a volunteer teacher that would be fine. What the schools SHOULD do is require kids to take ethics class. It provides different approaches to the modern topics. Its not the same as having bible study BUT the end results are students having a better understanding of consequences, good or bad.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#95984 Mar 11, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
...It makes you wonder how many people involved in these various sects are doing it out of habit or necessity rather than any kind of actual faith.
I suspect it's a lot. NPR ran a story last year that was interesting. http://www.npr.org/2012/04/30/151681248/from-...

Even though that majority of the population in the US reports as being Christian. I firmly believe that if they really gave an honest assessment of their faith, a sizable portion would declare themselves agnostic (at least).

If you walked up to a hundred people on the street and told them that God literally spoke to you last night, as in - "I actually heard his voice and believe it or not, he sounded like George Burns" - spoke. How many would believe you? I'm betting the majority would think "this guy is bat-shit crazy".
And this makes me happy.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#95985 Mar 11, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
At 25 when I realized Armageddon wasn't coming I started doing research and that led me to be the fine Atheist I am today.
Excellent! Call me old fashioned, but I love a story with a happy ending!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95986 Mar 11, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
http://eadview.lds.org/findingaid/CR%20100%20...
Nothing like original, actually verfiable works huh?
I especially find the use of artistic license in the dates immediately following September 11, 1857 to be interesting.
And poor Mrs. Carrington - being asked to cut down her fine peach orchard for "faith and religion" so that the elders could sell the wood.
well

Hyden, KY

#95987 Mar 11, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Rational to you?
I KNOW God is real!
I Know Jesus is real!
I know we ALL come to an end!
I know we all will see judgement day!
I know we all will have to answer for our own mistakes!
I know Life is choices!
I know others will regret their choices of gods!
I know I'm 57, and it only took me 50 years to figure it out!
I know I wish you all had the certainty of the end as I do!
My sense of superiority is called the Righeousness of
God in Christ, and knowing that... It's Awesome!
Sounds like exactly what anyone from any other religion would say. They all think they "know". At some point you have to respect the the truth, which is that none of us know if there is or is not a good. In the unlikely event there is a god, no one knows if any of our religions truly represent that god. And if by some exceptionally rare chance, one of our religions is truly from god, know one knows which one.

You can tell yourself you know, but you only believe. If you ever learn to accept that, you can take a much more honest look at the world.
i believe

Hyden, KY

#95988 Mar 11, 2013
in God. And I know he exists. I don't think, I don't wonder, I don't question, I KNOW.
so true

Morgantown, KY

#95989 Mar 11, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Then maybe youz should be giving more, or at least TAKING LESS off of other peoples backs!
I dont think , in my time , I have taken more than i was given. However I am sure I could have gave more. And maybe cared a little more than I have. But we are all not perfect so , maybe each day we can become a little better.
For what is too come...Great Day

It is better to light candles
than to curse the darkness.
It is better to plant seeds
than to accuse the earth.
The world needs all of our power
and love and energy,
and each of us has something that we can give.
The trick is to find it and use it,
to find it and give it away.
So there will always be more.
We can be lights for each other,
and through each other's illumination
we will see the way.
Each of us is a seed,
a silent promise,
and it is always spring."
GWB

Roseville, CA

#95990 Mar 11, 2013
i believe wrote:
in God. And I know he exists. I don't think, I don't wonder, I don't question, I KNOW.
How do you know? Can you give me a list of examples on how one can know a God exists.
well

Hyden, KY

#95991 Mar 11, 2013
i believe wrote:
How do you explain the millions of people with a different religion, contradictory to yours, who also think they "know." You have no more proof than they do. Your belief is based on the same sort of gut feeling they have. You all think all the others are wrong, but when asked why you are so sure none of you have an answer beyond screaming that you just know.

Doesn't it all seem a bit ignorant?
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#95992 Mar 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I especially find the use of artistic license in the dates immediately following September 11, 1857 to be interesting.
And poor Mrs. Carrington - being asked to cut down her fine peach orchard for "faith and religion" so that the elders could sell the wood.
alberta's or otherwise?
Blahblahblah

London, KY

#95993 Mar 11, 2013
so true wrote:
<quoted text> I dont think , in my time , I have taken more than i was given. However I am sure I could have gave more. And maybe cared a little more than I have. But we are all not perfect so , maybe each day we can become a little better.
For what is too come...Great Day
It is better to light candles
than to curse the darkness.
It is better to plant seeds
than to accuse the earth.
The world needs all of our power
and love and energy,
and each of us has something that we can give.
The trick is to find it and use it,
to find it and give it away.
So there will always be more.
We can be lights for each other,
and through each other's illumination
we will see the way.
Each of us is a seed,
a silent promise,
and it is always spring."
Hope springs eternal in the human breast: Man never is, but always To be Blest.

Alexander Pope

Beats hating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Jesus a Zombie? 38 min Mitt Romney 8
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 44 min LoL 8
Rats?? just wondering 1 hr pacman 6
Everybody shits everyday (Jul '09) 1 hr they_r_Evil 12
Barbourville nursing home 5 hr Rita 5
teena Marie mills 6 hr Mark 18
Brittany Spencer (Jan '14) 8 hr ROB 29
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 11 hr Will 53
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 12 hr The real truth 21
Barbourville Dating