Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,561 - 91,580 of 130,231 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>idolatry is not considered moral by anyone but the profane.
he who wishes to be greatest must be servant to all.
thus he who wishes to be greatest does not recognize any difference between self and other self.
it's called the LAW of ONE by some.
jehovah is not the name.
imagine an infinite number of tongues all describing the same ONE in their own language and from differing cultures, or points in space/time.
babel
rev 8:1
Psalm 40:7
Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
Hebrews 10:7
Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
You are correct no one knows exactly how God's name was pronounced in Hebrew but Jehovah is the accepted way in English. You can go into any culture and any language and say the name Jehovah and it is close enough so they know who you are talking about. That is good enough for me! What name do you prefer and use?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

REMEMBER, JEHOVAH IS WITH US!

John 14:12
We are now privileged to share in the GREATEST WORK ever entrusted to God’s human servants---that of declaring the Kingdom message and making disciples.(Matt.24:14; 28:19,20) We now (in 2011) number 7,224,934 and put in 1,707,094,710 hours and conducted on the average 8,490,746 Bible studies. How grateful we are for Jesus’ matchless example! He “went journeying from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the Kingdom of God.”(Luke 8:1) Like him, we need faith and courage in order to preach the Kingdom message. With God’s help, we can be like courageous Noah, an intrepid “preacher of righteousness” to “a world of ungodly people” about to perish in a global deluge.- 2 Peter 2:4,5.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

PanderBear wrote:
<quoted text>

Aesops Fables not a bad little book, or William Bennetts, the "Book of Virtues", and certainly there's many others. But just because one might not like what the bible says, does not give license to heretics and charlatans to ban it.
This is a "free to read what anyone wishes to nation"-so long as anyone is NOT harming others with what they (merely) interpret.
I didn't say anything about banning books. I would gladly fight to keep the Bible or any other book from being banned.

What I said was "be critical". Criticism is VITAL to getting as close to the truth as possible. It is what makes science work. And if you have any doubts about it just consider that your computer, phone, and (if you take them) medicines are a result of this critical endeavor.

We went to the Moon based on it.

So when American Christians travel to poor nations and pass out the Bible without criticism of it they engender the kind of witch-hunting that we see happening over there. In Uganga they want to kill homosexuals. The Bible gives them a text book upon which to base that hateful proposition.

Without room for criticism a book becomes a weapon. For pete's sake, don't ban it. But do not EVER let it stand above criticism.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>doesn't have to specifically state that atheism is a belief system. regarding epistomology.
Sections 3 and 4 further investigate the epistemic role of perception and introduce two distinct conceptions of the architecture of our belief system: foundationalism and coherentism. It is shown how perceptual experience and perceptual beliefs are integrated into these systems. Finally, section 5 turns to the externalist view that thinkers need not be aware of what justifies their perceptual beliefs.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/epis-per/
<quoted text>
what you think is the whole point of this argument. thinking is of the mind. it isn't of any thing else.
can you show me an accurate image of the mind? can you describe it's fundamental properties?
I thought we were arguing about atheism being or not being a "belief system". How did we now come to me being asked to describe the mind?

Can you not simply concede that atheism follows from a system of beliefs and is not in and of itself a belief system? Then we can move on to minds and cool things like that.
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>idolatry as in worshiping the beast,
Revelations is best read by adults with some reading comprehension, for themselves, so that they may be able to discern in wisdom, that which is evil, from that which is good.

Please stay AWAY from the innocent children, children deserve enlightenment and lightness, darkness is for those who reap it for themselves.

----------
Children Learn What They Live
By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with acceptance and friendliness, they learn the world can be a nice place in which to live.

Copyright © 1972 by Dorothy Law Nolte
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>kiss me judas
your kiss is cosmic
i'm ready to go into the light coming out of the dark
Psalm 112:4
Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.
Judas was a "coward and a traitor", to that which was good. Perhaps because of the negative vileness that surrounded him.

And your off the wall, twisted and warped misligned not even a biblical quote teaches what?

No good anything?

That's what I thought.

MORE on Judas?

He made a conscience choice to betray Jesus - Luke 22:48.
He was a thief with greed in his heart - John 12:6.
Jesus knew Judas' heart was set on evil and that he would not repent - John 6:70, John 17:12.
Judas' act of betrayal was part of God's sovereign plan - Psalm 41:9, Zechariah 11:12-13, Matthew 20:18 and 26:20-25, Acts 1:16,20.

LESSONS to be LEARNED from the same

Life Lessons:

"An outward show of loyalty to Jesus is meaningless unless we also follow Christ in our heart. Satan and the world will try to get us to betray Jesus, so we must ask the Holy Spirit for help in resisting them.

Although Judas attempted to undo the harm he had done, he failed to seek the Lord's forgiveness. Thinking it was too late for him, Judas ended his life."

The BEST LESSON being:
"As long as we are alive and have breath, it's never too late to come to God for forgiveness and cleansing from sin. Sadly, Judas, who had been given the opportunity to walk in close fellowship with Jesus, completely missed the most important message of Christ's ministry."

FORGIVENESS of others, as well as self.
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>
everyone has a darkside
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
could you be a devil?
could you be an angel?
Revelation 12:12
Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
Matthew 3:12
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
Luke 3:17
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
behold i come like a thief blessed is he who stays awake, lest he go naked and they see his shame.
want to be a victim
ready for abduction
Psalm 97:4
His lightnings enlightened the world: the earth saw, and trembled.
i'll be there when you vibrate
2 Peter 3:7
But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
this is transcendental
on another level
It sounds like PERVERSION, with extreme lacking in comprehension or any REAL truth.
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about banning books. I would gladly fight to keep the Bible or any other book from being banned.
What I said was "be critical". Criticism is VITAL to getting as close to the truth as possible. It is what makes science work. And if you have any doubts about it just consider that your computer, phone, and (if you take them) medicines are a result of this critical endeavor.
So when American Christians travel to poor nations and pass out the Bible without criticism of it they engender the kind of witch-hunting that we see happening over there. In Uganga they want to kill homosexuals. The Bible gives them a text book upon which to base that hateful proposition.
Without room for criticism a book becomes a weapon. For pete's sake, don't ban it. But do not EVER let it stand above criticism.
Children Learn What They Live
By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.

----------

I only stoop to such ignorance, when confronting it in action.
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
And if they travel to other nations and teach it in enlightenment, rather than in darkness and condmenation, they teach acceptance of the world as it IS, of others as they are, IMPERFECTIONS and all. Not as some imaginary place of perfection, OR as they would "wish it to be".

Because nothing or any one, is "perfect".
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Without room for criticism a book becomes a weapon. For pete's sake, don't ban it. But do not EVER let it stand above criticism.>
and I think YOU need to "discern" a little more, as in think deeper, as in "critical thinking"-
"Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action. In its exemplary form, it is based on universal intellectual values that transcend subject matter divisions: clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness. "

versus just being "critical" out of nothing more than repugnent hatefulness-

Definition of CRITICAL

crit·i·cal
[krit-i-kuhl] Show IPA
adjective
inclined to find fault or to judge with severity, often too readily.
occupied with or skilled in criticism.

There IS a difference. A HUGE and rather VAST one.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You can never have too much God or Bible! And as far as I am concerned, tax dollars could not be spent in any better way! Btw this is a GOD fearing individual as well!
Amen!
Great post!
How stupid can you be

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>
wow, wont even give a try will ya? guess u know that prayer isnt answered but to do my challenge will just show just how stupid the bible claims are becuz no matter how many of your ppl pray, i will never see the resurrected christ. but if u were doin your duties as a cjristian u would be tryin to save each and every soul u encounter or kill it when it dont convert. u are just another bible thumping hypocrit i guess.
(1) We always do pray for the lost!
(2) You will meet the Resurrected Lord Jesus, as Everyone will!
At that time you will WANT to see Him, or you will dread it..
IT IS YOUR CHOICE!
(3) We do want you saved... refer to #1
(4) Christians do NOT Kill the non-converted! You've got it wrong!
(5) God is real, and your belief in Him has nothing to do with it!
(6) Knowing God is real, even IF I was not saved... I'd still
tell you about Him, as I'd still want you saved!
Good day :-)
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

WhattheBibleCanteach wrote:
<quoted text>
"A certain man was going down the lonely road from Jerusalem to Jericho; and he fell among robbers, who stripped him of all that he had and beat him; and then went away, leaving him almost dead. It happened that a certain priest was going down that road; and when he saw the man lying there, he passed by on the other side. And a Levite, also, when he came to the place, and saw the man, he too went by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he was going down, came where this man was; and as soon as he saw him, he felt a pity for him. He came to the man, and dressed his wounds, pouring oil and wine into them. Then he lifted him up, and set him on his own beast of burden, and walked beside him to an inn. There he took care of him all night; and the next morning he took out from his purse two shillings, and gave them to the keeper of the inn, and said:'Take care of him; and if you need to spend more than this, do so; and when I come again I will pay it to you.'"
"Which one of these three, do you think, showed himself a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?"
The scribe said: "The one who showed mercy on him."
Then Jesus said to him: "Go and do thou likewise."
By this parable, Jesus showed that "our neighbor" is the one who needs the help that we can give him, whoever they may be.
----------
"A man fell victim to robbers as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho. They stripped him and beat him and went off leaving him half-dead." Then Jesus described the actions of three men who passed the injured man. The first man was a priest. When he saw the man, he crossed the road and ignored him. The next man was a Levite. He, too, chose to cross to the other side of the road and continue on his way. But the third man was a Samaritan.
The Samaritans and the Jews have hated each other for centuries. Jesus knew the people were probably expecting the Samaritan in the story to cross the road as well. Jesus continued his story. "But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion at the sight. He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction,'Take care of him. If you spend more than what I have given you, I shall repay you on my way back.'"
Then Jesus looked into the man's eyes and asked him,“Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers’ victim?" The man said plainly, "The one who treated him with mercy." Then Jesus said, "Go and do likewise."
The parable of "The Good Samaritan, aka the Good Shepherd."
Great post!
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct no one knows exactly how God's name was pronounced in Hebrew but Jehovah is the accepted way in English. You can go into any culture and any language and say the name Jehovah and it is close enough so they know who you are talking about. That is good enough for me! What name do you prefer and use?
the name of names.

tat

ahmi

ehyeh

Revelation 14:1
And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like PERVERSION, with extreme lacking in comprehension or any REAL truth.
20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

where in the world can my lover be?
where in this wonderful world is there someone for me?

Song of Solomon 2:8
The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.
blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>the name of names.
tat
ahmi
ehyeh
Revelation 14:1
And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
Chaos and the unintelligable belongs to the devil. I prefer not to allow abode for evil. Sorry if that's not what you'd want to hear.

VATICAN CITY, July 16, 2012,( LifeSiteNews.com )- In a homily delivered in the town of Frascati in Italy Sunday, Pope Benedict XVI noted that the Apostles were called by Christ to preach the truth even if people don’t want to hear it.

He said:

Jesus sends them out two by two and gives them instructions.... The first instruction concerns the spirit of detachment: the Apostles must not be attached to money and comforts. Jesus warns the disciples that they will not always receive a favourable welcome: at times they will be rejected, and may also be persecuted. But that should not affect them: they must speak in the name of Jesus and preach the Kingdom of God, without worrying about success. They must leave the outcome in the hands of God.

Reflecting on the reading concerning the prophet Amos, the Holy Father added:“But, whether accepted or rejected, Amos continued to prophesy, preaching what God says and not what people wanted to hear.”

(I also prefer to read the Bible, or ANY book, for myself...but I can "toss the verses around" like anyone else. No big deal there...as that takes ZERO critical thinking).
blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>
20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
where in the world can my lover be?
where in this wonderful world is there someone for me?
Song of Solomon 2:8
The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....E nglish lit can be so redundant.
so true

Morgantown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

The past does not equal the future.
Because you may have failed a moment ago,
all day today,
or for the last six months,
or for the last sixteen years,
or for the last fifty years of your life
doesn't mean anything.
All that matters is
what are you going to do now?"

Such a great one, being able to have more chances..
LOLoftheday

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Did perpetual happiness in the Garden of Eden maybe get so boring that eating the apple was justified?
-Chuck Palahniuk

Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring, and because it has fresh peaches in it.
Alice Walker

I would never talk just to be social. Now, to sit down with a bunch of engineers and talk about the latest concrete forming systems, that's really interesting. Talking with animal behaviorists or with someone who likes to sail, that's interesting. Information is interesting to me.

But talking for the sake of talking, I find that quite boring.
Temple Grandin

keywords: quote on boring
LOLoftheday

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

so true wrote:
The past does not equal the future.
Because you may have failed a moment ago,
all day today,
or for the last six months,
or for the last sixteen years,
or for the last fifty years of your life
doesn't mean anything.
All that matters is
what are you going to do now?"
Such a great one, being able to have more chances..
I like mine own search results better.

MUCH more positive!!!

(And praises above be, for another blessed day to continue to Successfully enjoy on this earth!!)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville