Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,501 - 91,520 of 128,894 Comments Last updated 7 min ago
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as a True Religion...
As you may know, some have used religion for commercial purposes. Others have used it to further their political ends or to get rich at the expense of the poor. How do you think such religious profiteers react when a true witness about God is given? Obviously, they feel threatened. That is one reason why you may hear some speak evil of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Whatever the cost, Jehovah’s Witnesses adhere closely to the Bible. They have not invented a new religion. They merely follow what is written in the Torah, the Psalms, and the Gospel, which is the foundation of true religion.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
As you may know, some have used religion for commercial purposes. Others have used it to further their political ends or to get rich at the expense of the poor. How do you think such religious profiteers react when a true witness about God is given? Obviously, they feel threatened. That is one reason why you may hear some speak evil of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Whatever the cost, Jehovah’s Witnesses adhere closely to the Bible. They have not invented a new religion. They merely follow what is written in the Torah, the Psalms, and the Gospel, which is the foundation of true religion.
There is no True Religion...
Anonymous

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

I really don't know what to think. What about it Glasgow? What is your opinion?
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Most evolved non-church attending former Catholics (such as the most recent scientist we have been discussing today)-are FAR FAR from being anything "atheist"!
Science usually has a much greater respect for humanity than that.
ofcourse u can find a group that isnt atheist but look at the science community at a whole and u will learn that the majority (overwhelming majority at that) are atheist. and the findings that they produce are what saves lives and makes the world better or worse in some cases but the fact is most of the ppl that actually care about truth and go on learning more and more as they age grow away from the teachings of the church cuz they are far from truths that we know in todays modern world. the church is stuck in old age thoughts and beliefs for the fact that it cant change its teachings or it goes against the teaching that the bible is true no matter what. ofcourse u have the ppl that say it says that but u are takin it out of context...lol...sorry but if god inspired it and it says to kill or stone or something then im pretty sure its not open to human interpretation and ppl cant say well it really means...blah blah blah. for once i want to see a christian that lives by the rules of their god instead of cherry picking the book. then u can see that it is no different than the muslim teachings.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
the JW dont follow the book no more than the other christian groups cuz not one JW is killin ppl that are workin on the sabboth, they arent stonin mean kids to death...etc. JW cherry pick what they want just like any other follower of the bible.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>atheism as a belief system
At its simplest, pantheism can be ontologically indistinguishable from atheism. Such a pantheism would be belief in nothing beyond the physical universe, but associated with emotions of wonder and awe similar to those that we find in religious belief.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agn...
&#9632;the atheist who believes in reincarnation or some other form of afterlife
&#9632;the atheist who worships “Reason” as if it was something existing outside us
&#9632;the atheist who sees intelligence in the universe, or believes the universe operates by inherent & fundamental scientific laws.
&#9632;the atheist who believes in the principle of sufficient reason
http://atheology.com/
Your first link is to a philosophy page that discusses the many interpretations of atheism and how they apply to philosophical ideas. At no point in that whole article does it define atheism as a belief system. At all. So stop claiming otherwise.

Your second link is to an atheist blog. This author accepts that rejection of god is enough to be called an atheist, as all reason indicates. But his opinion is that atheism probably should be part of a wider worldview rooted in naturalism. Personally, I agree. As I have said over and over I came to be atheist with regard to deities BECAUSE OF my naturalistic worldview. I'm a skeptic.

I think you are being intentionally misleading in your posts. You seem to have no way to make your argument otherwise.

And frankly, like other posts I've seen on Topix lately, it is quite a dumb argument.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
Yes, medical science has come along way and has it's meaningful benefits. My belief is that God blesses those working to find cures with the knowledge needed if they seek his guidance.
I thought god was all knowing and all powerful, are you saying he just sits back and watches people suffer for fun?
Google

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you hear people speak evil of the JWs because they make up doomsday dates and are quickly becoming more famous for harboring pedophiles than the Catholics are. Tell us about the Conti case. Your cult was ordered to pay what, 20 something million to this young woman for the harm that was done to her?

"In 2012, the Watchtower lost a landmark case against Candice Conti and her lawyer, Rick Simons. The case was unusual, as pedophile Jonathan Kendrick was not an elder, but a "rank and file" member of the congregation. Rather than settle out of court, the Watchtower had been confident in winning and allowed the case to go through the court process.

The case was lost due to the elders and Watchtower headquarters having knowledge of a known child molester in the congregation, but doing nothing to protect members of the congregation or public."

"Until the late 1990s, egregious Watchtower policy dictated that two witnesses must be present at the same sexual encounter, for the perpetrator to be considered to have committed a Scriptural offence. In the case of child molestation, there are almost never two witnesses. This meant that even when several children made an accusation against the same brother, the elders were to do nothing. Without two witnesses, the only time action could be taken was when the accused confessed. This meant that elders were aware of serial child abusers, yet no action was taken either within the congregation, or by contacting the police."

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/paedophilia...
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>
ofcourse u can find a group that isnt atheist but look at the science community at a whole and u will learn that the majority (overwhelming majority at that) are atheist. and the findings that they produce are what saves lives and makes the world better or worse in some cases but the fact is most of the ppl that actually care about truth and go on learning more and more as they age grow away from the teachings of the church cuz they are far from truths that we know in todays modern world. the church is stuck in old age thoughts and beliefs for the fact that it cant change its teachings or it goes against the teaching that the bible is true no matter what. ofcourse u have the ppl that say it says that but u are takin it out of context...lol...sorry but if god inspired it and it says to kill or stone or something then im pretty sure its not open to human interpretation and ppl cant say well it really means...blah blah blah. for once i want to see a christian that lives by the rules of their god instead of cherry picking the book. then u can see that it is no different than the muslim teachings.
Sounds to me like you assume a lot, including that everyone should be of just your opinion as far as beliefs, choices of reading material and exactly HOW people interpret what they read.
People are individuals, not preprogrammed robots
I personally have NEVER found the Bible for example, to EVER "condone" harming others, and find the Ten Commandments pretty SIMPLIFIED, even duhmed down, attesting to that.
I personally have not read enough of anything from the "Muslim" faith (although I have done a rather petty amount of it, in comparison to those who I know have done A LOT, LOT more) to just run my mouth about it, but what i HAVE read, I found to be quite similar to a lot of what is found in the biblical Old Testament, at times. And I actually found a lot of the reading quite a bit different from the Bible, a book which I personally have found to be very inspirational, with many of WISDOM for those who choose to read them as such.

But then I tend to try and NOT just have "diarrhea of mouth", especially about that which I have not researched enough to form any actual opinion based on fact, rather than that of merely my own opinion IGNORANCE.

And I've seen PLENTY of "Christians" struggle through out my life, in trying to walk the walks of daily, and see no reason whatsoever to sit in condemnation of it, as long as they're not harming anyone else, in any way.

So, based on my OWN interpretations of reading, I am not a fan of condemning peoples Constitutional RIGHT to "freedom of religion" so long, so long as it is NOT harming anyone else. There's already enough hate in the world with out just cause, and I for one, choose NOT to add to it when ever possible.

And I find your mere opinion on the "lack of belief" in "scientists" broadly assumptive, as man wou;d (including myself) disagree, strongly with that statement of mere opinion.

"True" Science rules NOTHING out, to do so, would only indicate a closed, narrow mind...and that type of ILLogic would not equate well in the scientific realms.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I thought god was all knowing and all powerful, are you saying he just sits back and watches people suffer for fun?
Why would you think the human race is perfect, with out flaws, errors and other imperfections?
There's no such thing-never has been, and probably never will be.

Even in the one of the first stories of the Bible, woman wouldn't listen.

That oughta tell ya something.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Google wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you hear people speak evil of the JWs because they make up doomsday dates and are quickly becoming more famous for harboring pedophiles than the Catholics are. Tell us about the Conti case. Your cult was ordered to pay what, 20 something million to this young woman for the harm that was done to her?
"In 2012, the Watchtower lost a landmark case against Candice Conti and her lawyer, Rick Simons. The case was unusual, as pedophile Jonathan Kendrick was not an elder, but a "rank and file" member of the congregation. Rather than settle out of court, the Watchtower had been confident in winning and allowed the case to go through the court process.
The case was lost due to the elders and Watchtower headquarters having knowledge of a known child molester in the congregation, but doing nothing to protect members of the congregation or public."
"Until the late 1990s, egregious Watchtower policy dictated that two witnesses must be present at the same sexual encounter, for the perpetrator to be considered to have committed a Scriptural offence. In the case of child molestation, there are almost never two witnesses. This meant that even when several children made an accusation against the same brother, the elders were to do nothing. Without two witnesses, the only time action could be taken was when the accused confessed. This meant that elders were aware of serial child abusers, yet no action was taken either within the congregation, or by contacting the police."
http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/paedophilia...
If there's JW's showing up at your door wanting to socialize, and you don't wish to partake, it's real simple. All anyone has to say is no thank you, I'm Catholic (Baptist, Jewish, atheist, whatever) but thank you for the reading material, let you know if I'm interested, have a nice day.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like you assume a lot, including that everyone should be of just your opinion as far as beliefs, choices of reading material and exactly HOW people interpret what they read.
People are individuals, not preprogrammed robots
I personally have NEVER found the Bible for example, to EVER "condone" harming others, and find the Ten Commandments pretty SIMPLIFIED, even duhmed down, attesting to that.
I personally have not read enough of anything from the "Muslim" faith (although I have done a rather petty amount of it, in comparison to those who I know have done A LOT, LOT more) to just run my mouth about it, but what i HAVE read, I found to be quite similar to a lot of what is found in the biblical Old Testament, at times. And I actually found a lot of the reading quite a bit different from the Bible, a book which I personally have found to be very inspirational, with many of WISDOM for those who choose to read them as such.
But then I tend to try and NOT just have "diarrhea of mouth", especially about that which I have not researched enough to form any actual opinion based on fact, rather than that of merely my own opinion IGNORANCE.
And I've seen PLENTY of "Christians" struggle through out my life, in trying to walk the walks of daily, and see no reason whatsoever to sit in condemnation of it, as long as they're not harming anyone else, in any way.
So, based on my OWN interpretations of reading, I am not a fan of condemning peoples Constitutional RIGHT to "freedom of religion" so long, so long as it is NOT harming anyone else. There's already enough hate in the world with out just cause, and I for one, choose NOT to add to it when ever possible.
And I find your mere opinion on the "lack of belief" in "scientists" broadly assumptive, as man wou;d (including myself) disagree, strongly with that statement of mere opinion.
"True" Science rules NOTHING out, to do so, would only indicate a closed, narrow mind...and that type of ILLogic would not equate well in the scientific realms.
Science evaluates claims and discards or modifies the ones that fail to stand up to the process of evaluation. To say that it rules nothing out is not saying anything at all. What if I said Bigfoot is God? Science cannot rule that out. But on what grounds could I possibly making a compelling argument that it is true?

Regarding the Bible, I think it is Leviticus that teaches you should kill witches. If you think this irrelevant take a look at how people are accused of witchcraft in various African nations and then tortured or killed:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/afri...

This is coming from Christian Africans.

The Bible can be used to condone just about anything. It really does not matter what you personally think about it. What matters is that people use it for violence, so we should be highly critical of the book itself and its role in society.

There are far better sources of morality.
So true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Good day all, hope u r each warm today. Safe from any harm and next to those you love... Wishes.
PanderBear

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Science evaluates claims and discards or modifies the ones that fail to stand up to the process of evaluation. To say that it rules nothing out is not saying anything at all. What if I said Bigfoot is God? Science cannot rule that out. But on what grounds could I possibly making a compelling argument that it is true?
Regarding the Bible, I think it is Leviticus that teaches you should kill witches. If you think this irrelevant take a look at how people are accused of witchcraft in various African nations and then tortured or killed:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/afri...
This is coming from Christian Africans.
The Bible can be used to condone just about anything. It really does not matter what you personally think about it. What matters is that people use it for violence, so we should be highly critical of the book itself and its role in society.
There are far better sources of morality.
Would yew like tuh buys some majikal pander bear poop? Guarunteed to make yew realize this is the 21st century USA, NOT 18th century or dark age, fitty years buhind the times Aferkuh...as well as even to maybe gets you to see how horribly histronic and warped, the 18th century witch hunting and pitch fork carrying minDUHsets of hatred was (is).

Aesops Fables not a bad little book, or William Bennetts, the "Book of Virtues", and certainly there's many others. But just because one might not like what the bible says, does not give license to heretics and charlatans to ban it.

This is a "free to read what anyone wishes to nation"-so long as anyone is NOT harming others with what they (merely) interpret.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I do not have much patience with a thing of beauty that must be explained to be understood. If it does need additional interpretation by someone other than the creator, then I question whether it has fulfilled its purpose.
Charlie Chaplin

A lot of us grow up and we grow out of the literal interpretation that we get when we're children, but we bear the scars all our life. Whether they're scars of beauty or scars of ugliness, it's pretty much in the eye of the beholder.
Stephen King

Language is a process of free creation; its laws and principles are fixed, but the manner in which the principles of generation are used is free and infinitely varied. Even the interpretation and use of words involves a process of free creation.
Noam Chomsky

I don't have a religion. I believe in a God. I don't know what it looks like but it's MY god. My own interpretation of the supernatural.
Jennifer Aniston

(GO Jen lol!!)
PanderBear

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

All meanings, we know, depend on the key of interpretation.
George Eliot

(Really good one----)
What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?
Antonin Scalia

Need more? lol.
harpocrates

Rockholds, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Your first link is to a philosophy page that discusses the many interpretations of atheism and how they apply to philosophical ideas. At no point in that whole article does it define atheism as a belief system.
doesn't have to specifically state that atheism is a belief system. regarding epistomology.

Sections 3 and 4 further investigate the epistemic role of perception and introduce two distinct conceptions of the architecture of our belief system: foundationalism and coherentism. It is shown how perceptual experience and perceptual beliefs are integrated into these systems. Finally, section 5 turns to the externalist view that thinkers need not be aware of what justifies their perceptual beliefs.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/epis-per/
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Your second link is to an atheist blog. This author accepts that rejection of god is enough to be called an atheist, as all reason indicates. But his opinion is that atheism probably should be part of a wider worldview rooted in naturalism. Personally, I agree. As I have said over and over I came to be atheist with regard to deities BECAUSE OF my naturalistic worldview. I'm a skeptic.
I think you are being intentionally misleading in your posts. You seem to have no way to make your argument otherwise.
And frankly, like other posts I've seen on Topix lately, it is quite a dumb argument.
what you think is the whole point of this argument. thinking is of the mind. it isn't of any thing else.

can you show me an accurate image of the mind? can you describe it's fundamental properties?
Wrong again Sparky

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
European Christians came to this country and built it on Blood!
The Murdered and damn near caused the Native American Population to become Extinct.
They Kidnapped Black People from Africa and Forced Them To Become Slaves , Forced them to change their names to European names , Christians raped black people , and Christians also forced Black People To Convert To Christianity.
Christians also murdered millions in World War's 1 and 2.
Christians Napalmed Vietnam , murdering 750,000 Innocent People when the Vietnamese did Nothing To Them.
Christians Slaughtered over 1,455,590 Innocent Iraqi's on a pack of lies.
Christians Slaughtered so many in Afghanistan that you really can not come up with an accurate number.
Christians Payed For Israel To Murder 1,450 Innocent , Unarmed , Palestinians in 2009 alone!
Christians also murdered over 5,000 People Because They Thought 1 Of Them Was A Drug Dealer!
Wrong!
Wrong again Sparky

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Dyslexic Luthor wrote:
Why aren't you wonderful God fearing Christians adopting the thousands of children that are already needing adopted? I expect no honest reply, as Christians do not have the moral decency to tell the truth.
<quoted text>
We are!
How many have you adopted???
A better question would be...
What are you doing about un-wed prgnancies???
Instead of killing the result of permiscous behavior...
Teach your kids to wait for their spouses on their wedding night!
Oh no... you cannot do that!
Kids will be kids...
That's a defeatest attitude from a base immoral person
with no real arguement!
Good day!
Yes and Amen

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>
still dont explain why a person of great morals still goes to hell if they just dont believe cuz they lack the faith and they need more than believe cuz the bible says so. but your answer looks like a clever move by man so that the religion can still be used on ppl that have made a mistake cuz if the religion didnt include them then everyone that has committed a major sin would just quit goin to church and in turn cause chaos for the structure the church wants the ppl to live by. in no way u try to justify it is it ok for a pedophile to get forgiveness and be saved when a person that lives like mother teresa their whole life goes to hell just cuz their brain was to active to believe in blind faith.
if u want me to believe i can tell u how. the bible tells that ppl seen the resurrected christ and it also says if 3 or more ppl pray for something god will see it thru. so i challenge your church to pray that god lets me see the resurrected christ so that i have the proof needed for me to be saved. i mean if its ok for the ppl that wrote the bible to see him after he was resurrected then by all means the ppl on earth today should be given that same kind of proof, dont u think? let me know when your church prays for it so that i can be ready to for church the following week. now we shall see if your god can live up to the claims made in his bible. and if the resurrected jesus is to much to ask for just ask that he show me a burning bush or anything of that matter that he allowed the jews to see throughout history since he forgets to do those kind of things any more.
"i challenge your church to pray that god lets me see the resurrected christ so that i have the proof needed for me to be saved"
Really???
John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil.
3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither
cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Do you see anything in here that says...
Another person can pray you towards salvation???

Do you see where it says... You donnot realy WANT salvation??
I do, or you'd be on your knees repenting, and ASKING God to clean you of YOUR sins...
When that happens... You WILL have your proof!
I'd love for you to really want salvation, as you'd
be back on here, telling ALL the others...
"God is real, and He is AWESOME!
Just as every other Christian!
How stupid can you be

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Freedom wrote:
Did you know that...
In Judaism , if you want to join a synagogue ( Something Similiar to a Church )
You must sign a written contract to pay money!
If you want a front seat at the synagogue , you must pay a lot of money!
The people who can't afford the higher prices must sit in the back of the synagogue!
But let me make this clear... YOU MUST PAY MONEY OR YOU CAN"T JOIN!
Did you know that some people have been sued by the Synagogue for 100,000's of thousands of dollars because they did not pay?
Yep! Its True!
SO STOP SUPPORTING THE TERRORIST STATE OF ISRAEL AND GIVING IT 8 BILLION U.S. TAX DOLLARS EVERY SINGLE YEAR
JEWS ARE RACIST AND THEY HATE JESUS
What a Crock!
God Bless Israel!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

97 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Elmer at Creek mart 16 min Disgusted 10
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 26 min positronium 146,761
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr Sisterlovenpoofy 1,023
Chris fisher 1 hr Toby 2
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr YAS 26,205
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 2 hr pissypoofer 16,124
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 3 hr poofylover 81,560
Marlena cox 3 hr Right 41
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder Sun sheila 420
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••