Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,461 - 91,480 of 130,248 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
And what do we learn from this, Blahs and girls? "Yep science one prayer zero" - SP
Lol.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Beliefs are fine. However, problems arise when you are willing to judge others and make decisions with serious repercussions based on beliefs supported by little to no evidence; or worse, beliefs refuted by evidence.
Thoughts like: "We shouldn't worry about climate change, because whatever God wants to happen will." "I look forward to the dying, because then everything will be perfect." "Science is meaningless. God doesn't mean us to understand things better than we already do. " Or my favorite: "My religion should be backed by legislation, and should be the official religion of the state, even though it is no older, is backed by no more evidence, and has never been demonstrated as better for society than any other belief system."
Such thoughts all demonstrate a lack of logic, a narcissistic certainty in the superiority of your own beliefs, and a destructive "us against them" world view.
It's fine to have religion, but you should be open minded enough to accept that other people have a right to believe other things, or to try to understand the universe, even if what we discover does not support your beliefs and makes you uncomfortable in your faith.
So back to religion in schools: If you really think your faith based beliefs should be taught universally in public classrooms, you really need a more open minded, critical outlook. Your thought process is very nonconstructive.
i never stated that religion should be taught in school. i stated that beliefs are an intrinsic part of humanity. you just assumed; which reiterates my point.

the problem with beliefs is when they aren't tested against reality as a whole and only as one's perceived reality. thus you assumed believed i was advocating for one belief system en lieu of another. i wasn't.

everyone doesn't utilize the same language, cultural experiences, or space/time to assimilate and disseminate understanding.

we mature by testing our beliefs against reality and hopefully we expand our consciousness in so doing.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
fail.
Clearly, WITW was referencing fideism, not epistemology.
Clearly, the religies grasp at anything to support their nothing.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

There is no kjv god, and never will be, bull excrement is real and religies spew it constantly.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Clearly, the religies grasp at anything to support their nothing.
Hebrews 11:1 sums it up.
No achievement of man or mannequin is more appropriate than a congregation full of Peanuts saluting each other.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are semantically nitpicking. That practice is playing with a cat's cradle in Plato's cave after the fire went out.
YaA's belief system (faith) is based in fideism. He throws out critical thought in favor of absurdity.
WITW was criticizing that practice, offering instead that she prefers rationalism.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
- David Hume
it's your belief. rock that cradle all you wish.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Clearly, the religies grasp at anything to support their nothing.
transfer of belief
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

LOL in a suit wrote:
There is no kjv god, and never will be, bull excrement is real and religies spew it constantly.
transfer of belief
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hebrews 11:1 sums it up.
No achievement of man or mannequin is more appropriate than a congregation full of Peanuts saluting each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wCy8MpT45gkXX
is this the ridicule that hume spoke of?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>is this the ridicule that hume spoke of?
Might be ridicule, sarcasm, irony, contempt - or is it an allegory?

"faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" NYEWM....

The shadows play upon the wall - feel free ruminate on what color they are.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Might be ridicule, sarcasm, irony, contempt - or is it an allegory?
"faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" NYEWM....
The shadows play upon the wall - feel free ruminate on what color they are.
hypothesis is the idea of things not yet fully tested and realized. proof of things not yet ABSOLUTE.

the names and faces change but the actions remain all to familiar and natural.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
Lmao, the delusional speak.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>hypothesis is the idea of things not yet fully tested and realized. proof of things not yet ABSOLUTE.
the names and faces change but the actions remain all to familiar and natural.
A recipe is the promise of a foregone conclusion - except in my kitchen, where it becomes a Moliere script and when tested and realized becomes far gone concoction.
Proof is often times a transient misunderstanding and absolutes are always and certainly questionable.
Joe Friday changed the names, Max Factor changed the faces, there is nothing new under the sun (though I don't know the last time someone lifted it and checked) and inaction is the ultimate achievement of potential. In theory, I might have a hypothetical familiar that is a purple cat, but he's no where to be seen in nature. I knew I never should have trusted that Schrodinger guy to watch him.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

LOL in a suit wrote:
"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
you speaking from experience, or from belief?
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
A recipe is the promise of a foregone conclusion - except in my kitchen, where it becomes a Moliere script and when tested and realized becomes far gone concoction.
Proof is often times a transient misunderstanding and absolutes are always and certainly questionable.
Joe Friday changed the names, Max Factor changed the faces, there is nothing new under the sun (though I don't know the last time someone lifted it and checked) and inaction is the ultimate achievement of potential. In theory, I might have a hypothetical familiar that is a purple cat, but he's no where to be seen in nature. I knew I never should have trusted that Schrodinger guy to watch him.
what comes around, goes around. tends to be all one sided.

and the mobius band played on

round and round it goes. where it began, nobody knows
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

LOL in a suit wrote:
"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
atheism as a belief system

At its simplest, pantheism can be ontologically indistinguishable from atheism. Such a pantheism would be belief in nothing beyond the physical universe, but associated with emotions of wonder and awe similar to those that we find in religious belief.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agn...

&#9632;the atheist who believes in reincarnation or some other form of afterlife
&#9632;the atheist who worships “Reason” as if it was something existing outside us
&#9632;the atheist who sees intelligence in the universe, or believes the universe operates by inherent & fundamental scientific laws.
&#9632;the atheist who believes in the principle of sufficient reason

http://atheology.com/

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

So here is a question; do you believe that there is such a thing as a soul or spirit?
Please leave out the christian god as they have it wrong. Just in general, do living beings have a soul or spirit?
(I do not know, I think that we are chemical reactions and electron flow but..........
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

LOL in a suit wrote:
"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
lol naked

We are an active community of atheists in the greater Los Angeles area.

Our core mission involves:
&#9632;Promoting separation of government and religion.
&#9632;Educating the public about our philosophy and practices.
&#9632;Serving the public good in ways that are exemplary of our values.

http://atheistsunited.org/

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>...
the problem with beliefs is when they aren't tested against reality as a whole and only as one's perceived reality.
Surely even you can see the absurdity of what you're saying here. Or are you to have us believe that you operate at a higher level than us mere mortals? You're tuned into the "real" reality...is that it?
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>
thus you assumed believed i was advocating for one belief system en lieu of another. i wasn't.
everyone doesn't utilize the same language, cultural experiences, or space/time to assimilate and disseminate understanding.
we mature by testing our beliefs against reality and hopefully we expand our consciousness in so doing.
It almost sounds like you're saying something here. But you're not.
Hokum...pure hokum

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>atheism as a belief system
At its simplest, pantheism can be ontologically indistinguishable from atheism. Such a pantheism would be belief in nothing beyond the physical universe, but associated with emotions of wonder and awe similar to those that we find in religious belief.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agn...
&#9632;the atheist who believes in reincarnation or some other form of afterlife
&#9632;the atheist who worships “Reason” as if it was something existing outside us
&#9632;the atheist who sees intelligence in the universe, or believes the universe operates by inherent & fundamental scientific laws.
&#9632;the atheist who believes in the principle of sufficient reason
http://atheology.com/
So now you're copying and pasting from other threads where you failed to defend these arguments?

You should be true to your name and remain silent Harpocrates.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Republicans Are S... 149,919
Need tile backsplash 6 min Observer 1
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 48 min Republicans Are S... 16,129
Need 10 dozen Praches and Cream Corn 57 min friend 2
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 2 hr Your fan 1
Exposing the UNITE ponzi pyramid scheme! 3 hr no why 4
Churches 3 hr Preached 3

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs