Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 141514 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

what

Elkhorn City, KY

#95719 Mar 5, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
Yes, medical science has come along way and has it's meaningful benefits. My belief is that God blesses those working to find cures with the knowledge needed if they seek his guidance.
guess that explains why most scientist are atheist then. thanks. does god give the criminals the knowledge they possess as well? and if u say the devil does that, then where does the devil get his knowledge from? wouldnt that be the same god that created everything that gave the devil the knowledge that he has too?
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

#95720 Mar 5, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
guess that explains why most scientist are atheist then. thanks. does god give the criminals the knowledge they possess as well? and if u say the devil does that, then where does the devil get his knowledge from? wouldnt that be the same god that created everything that gave the devil the knowledge that he has too?
Most evolved non-church attending former Catholics (such as the most recent scientist we have been discussing today)-are FAR FAR from being anything "atheist"!

Science usually has a much greater respect for humanity than that.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#95721 Mar 5, 2013
The Holy Spirit (aka watchtower) does make mistakes now and then. A test of time allows for corrections to be made for failed predictions.

Following the death of Charles Taze Russell (1916), the Watchtower Society's founder, a bitter struggle began over the organization's leadership.

In 1917, Joseph Franklin Rutherford was elected as the new president. Rutherford immediately began introducing modifications in Russell's teachings in order to bring them into accord with his own theological opinions.

In 1920 the Watchtower Society published Millions Now Living Will Never Die, a book authored by Rutherford.2 It prophesied that many Hebrew Bible characters would be raised to life in 1925. These resurrected individuals would then rule the earth.

Some people living on Earth in 1914 who accepted the Watchtower Society's beliefs would never die. The prophecy failed. But, what of the promise that "Millions now living will never die"? The Society contends..........

to read more:

http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/index.php...
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95722 Mar 5, 2013
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95723 Mar 5, 2013
GWB wrote:
The Holy Spirit (aka watchtower) does make mistakes now and then. A test of time allows for corrections to be made for failed predictions.
Following the death of Charles Taze Russell (1916), the Watchtower Society's founder, a bitter struggle began over the organization's leadership.
In 1917, Joseph Franklin Rutherford was elected as the new president. Rutherford immediately began introducing modifications in Russell's teachings in order to bring them into accord with his own theological opinions.
In 1920 the Watchtower Society published Millions Now Living Will Never Die, a book authored by Rutherford.2 It prophesied that many Hebrew Bible characters would be raised to life in 1925. These resurrected individuals would then rule the earth.
Some people living on Earth in 1914 who accepted the Watchtower Society's beliefs would never die. The prophecy failed. But, what of the promise that "Millions now living will never die"? The Society contends..........
to read more:
http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/index.php...
I would guess if someone asked you to introduce them to the true religion you would be glad to oblige?

I'm waiting!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#95725 Mar 5, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I would guess if someone asked you to introduce them to the true religion you would be glad to oblige?
I'm waiting!
No such thing as a True Religion...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95726 Mar 5, 2013

We've already had this conversation.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95727 Mar 5, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as a True Religion...
As you may know, some have used religion for commercial purposes. Others have used it to further their political ends or to get rich at the expense of the poor. How do you think such religious profiteers react when a true witness about God is given? Obviously, they feel threatened. That is one reason why you may hear some speak evil of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Whatever the cost, Jehovah’s Witnesses adhere closely to the Bible. They have not invented a new religion. They merely follow what is written in the Torah, the Psalms, and the Gospel, which is the foundation of true religion.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#95728 Mar 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
As you may know, some have used religion for commercial purposes. Others have used it to further their political ends or to get rich at the expense of the poor. How do you think such religious profiteers react when a true witness about God is given? Obviously, they feel threatened. That is one reason why you may hear some speak evil of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Whatever the cost, Jehovah’s Witnesses adhere closely to the Bible. They have not invented a new religion. They merely follow what is written in the Torah, the Psalms, and the Gospel, which is the foundation of true religion.
There is no True Religion...
Anonymous

Elizabethtown, KY

#95729 Mar 6, 2013
I really don't know what to think. What about it Glasgow? What is your opinion?
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#95730 Mar 6, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Most evolved non-church attending former Catholics (such as the most recent scientist we have been discussing today)-are FAR FAR from being anything "atheist"!
Science usually has a much greater respect for humanity than that.
ofcourse u can find a group that isnt atheist but look at the science community at a whole and u will learn that the majority (overwhelming majority at that) are atheist. and the findings that they produce are what saves lives and makes the world better or worse in some cases but the fact is most of the ppl that actually care about truth and go on learning more and more as they age grow away from the teachings of the church cuz they are far from truths that we know in todays modern world. the church is stuck in old age thoughts and beliefs for the fact that it cant change its teachings or it goes against the teaching that the bible is true no matter what. ofcourse u have the ppl that say it says that but u are takin it out of context...lol...sorry but if god inspired it and it says to kill or stone or something then im pretty sure its not open to human interpretation and ppl cant say well it really means...blah blah blah. for once i want to see a christian that lives by the rules of their god instead of cherry picking the book. then u can see that it is no different than the muslim teachings.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#95731 Mar 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
the JW dont follow the book no more than the other christian groups cuz not one JW is killin ppl that are workin on the sabboth, they arent stonin mean kids to death...etc. JW cherry pick what they want just like any other follower of the bible.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95732 Mar 6, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>atheism as a belief system
At its simplest, pantheism can be ontologically indistinguishable from atheism. Such a pantheism would be belief in nothing beyond the physical universe, but associated with emotions of wonder and awe similar to those that we find in religious belief.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agn...
&#9632;the atheist who believes in reincarnation or some other form of afterlife
&#9632;the atheist who worships “Reason” as if it was something existing outside us
&#9632;the atheist who sees intelligence in the universe, or believes the universe operates by inherent & fundamental scientific laws.
&#9632;the atheist who believes in the principle of sufficient reason
http://atheology.com/
Your first link is to a philosophy page that discusses the many interpretations of atheism and how they apply to philosophical ideas. At no point in that whole article does it define atheism as a belief system. At all. So stop claiming otherwise.

Your second link is to an atheist blog. This author accepts that rejection of god is enough to be called an atheist, as all reason indicates. But his opinion is that atheism probably should be part of a wider worldview rooted in naturalism. Personally, I agree. As I have said over and over I came to be atheist with regard to deities BECAUSE OF my naturalistic worldview. I'm a skeptic.

I think you are being intentionally misleading in your posts. You seem to have no way to make your argument otherwise.

And frankly, like other posts I've seen on Topix lately, it is quite a dumb argument.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95733 Mar 6, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
Yes, medical science has come along way and has it's meaningful benefits. My belief is that God blesses those working to find cures with the knowledge needed if they seek his guidance.
I thought god was all knowing and all powerful, are you saying he just sits back and watches people suffer for fun?
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

#95735 Mar 6, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
ofcourse u can find a group that isnt atheist but look at the science community at a whole and u will learn that the majority (overwhelming majority at that) are atheist. and the findings that they produce are what saves lives and makes the world better or worse in some cases but the fact is most of the ppl that actually care about truth and go on learning more and more as they age grow away from the teachings of the church cuz they are far from truths that we know in todays modern world. the church is stuck in old age thoughts and beliefs for the fact that it cant change its teachings or it goes against the teaching that the bible is true no matter what. ofcourse u have the ppl that say it says that but u are takin it out of context...lol...sorry but if god inspired it and it says to kill or stone or something then im pretty sure its not open to human interpretation and ppl cant say well it really means...blah blah blah. for once i want to see a christian that lives by the rules of their god instead of cherry picking the book. then u can see that it is no different than the muslim teachings.
Sounds to me like you assume a lot, including that everyone should be of just your opinion as far as beliefs, choices of reading material and exactly HOW people interpret what they read.
People are individuals, not preprogrammed robots
I personally have NEVER found the Bible for example, to EVER "condone" harming others, and find the Ten Commandments pretty SIMPLIFIED, even duhmed down, attesting to that.
I personally have not read enough of anything from the "Muslim" faith (although I have done a rather petty amount of it, in comparison to those who I know have done A LOT, LOT more) to just run my mouth about it, but what i HAVE read, I found to be quite similar to a lot of what is found in the biblical Old Testament, at times. And I actually found a lot of the reading quite a bit different from the Bible, a book which I personally have found to be very inspirational, with many of WISDOM for those who choose to read them as such.

But then I tend to try and NOT just have "diarrhea of mouth", especially about that which I have not researched enough to form any actual opinion based on fact, rather than that of merely my own opinion IGNORANCE.

And I've seen PLENTY of "Christians" struggle through out my life, in trying to walk the walks of daily, and see no reason whatsoever to sit in condemnation of it, as long as they're not harming anyone else, in any way.

So, based on my OWN interpretations of reading, I am not a fan of condemning peoples Constitutional RIGHT to "freedom of religion" so long, so long as it is NOT harming anyone else. There's already enough hate in the world with out just cause, and I for one, choose NOT to add to it when ever possible.

And I find your mere opinion on the "lack of belief" in "scientists" broadly assumptive, as man wou;d (including myself) disagree, strongly with that statement of mere opinion.

"True" Science rules NOTHING out, to do so, would only indicate a closed, narrow mind...and that type of ILLogic would not equate well in the scientific realms.
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

#95736 Mar 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I thought god was all knowing and all powerful, are you saying he just sits back and watches people suffer for fun?
Why would you think the human race is perfect, with out flaws, errors and other imperfections?
There's no such thing-never has been, and probably never will be.

Even in the one of the first stories of the Bible, woman wouldn't listen.

That oughta tell ya something.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95738 Mar 6, 2013
Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like you assume a lot, including that everyone should be of just your opinion as far as beliefs, choices of reading material and exactly HOW people interpret what they read.
People are individuals, not preprogrammed robots
I personally have NEVER found the Bible for example, to EVER "condone" harming others, and find the Ten Commandments pretty SIMPLIFIED, even duhmed down, attesting to that.
I personally have not read enough of anything from the "Muslim" faith (although I have done a rather petty amount of it, in comparison to those who I know have done A LOT, LOT more) to just run my mouth about it, but what i HAVE read, I found to be quite similar to a lot of what is found in the biblical Old Testament, at times. And I actually found a lot of the reading quite a bit different from the Bible, a book which I personally have found to be very inspirational, with many of WISDOM for those who choose to read them as such.
But then I tend to try and NOT just have "diarrhea of mouth", especially about that which I have not researched enough to form any actual opinion based on fact, rather than that of merely my own opinion IGNORANCE.
And I've seen PLENTY of "Christians" struggle through out my life, in trying to walk the walks of daily, and see no reason whatsoever to sit in condemnation of it, as long as they're not harming anyone else, in any way.
So, based on my OWN interpretations of reading, I am not a fan of condemning peoples Constitutional RIGHT to "freedom of religion" so long, so long as it is NOT harming anyone else. There's already enough hate in the world with out just cause, and I for one, choose NOT to add to it when ever possible.
And I find your mere opinion on the "lack of belief" in "scientists" broadly assumptive, as man wou;d (including myself) disagree, strongly with that statement of mere opinion.
"True" Science rules NOTHING out, to do so, would only indicate a closed, narrow mind...and that type of ILLogic would not equate well in the scientific realms.
Science evaluates claims and discards or modifies the ones that fail to stand up to the process of evaluation. To say that it rules nothing out is not saying anything at all. What if I said Bigfoot is God? Science cannot rule that out. But on what grounds could I possibly making a compelling argument that it is true?

Regarding the Bible, I think it is Leviticus that teaches you should kill witches. If you think this irrelevant take a look at how people are accused of witchcraft in various African nations and then tortured or killed:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/afri...

This is coming from Christian Africans.

The Bible can be used to condone just about anything. It really does not matter what you personally think about it. What matters is that people use it for violence, so we should be highly critical of the book itself and its role in society.

There are far better sources of morality.
So true

Morgantown, KY

#95739 Mar 6, 2013
Good day all, hope u r each warm today. Safe from any harm and next to those you love... Wishes.
PanderBear

Somerset, KY

#95740 Mar 6, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Science evaluates claims and discards or modifies the ones that fail to stand up to the process of evaluation. To say that it rules nothing out is not saying anything at all. What if I said Bigfoot is God? Science cannot rule that out. But on what grounds could I possibly making a compelling argument that it is true?
Regarding the Bible, I think it is Leviticus that teaches you should kill witches. If you think this irrelevant take a look at how people are accused of witchcraft in various African nations and then tortured or killed:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/afri...
This is coming from Christian Africans.
The Bible can be used to condone just about anything. It really does not matter what you personally think about it. What matters is that people use it for violence, so we should be highly critical of the book itself and its role in society.
There are far better sources of morality.
Would yew like tuh buys some majikal pander bear poop? Guarunteed to make yew realize this is the 21st century USA, NOT 18th century or dark age, fitty years buhind the times Aferkuh...as well as even to maybe gets you to see how horribly histronic and warped, the 18th century witch hunting and pitch fork carrying minDUHsets of hatred was (is).

Aesops Fables not a bad little book, or William Bennetts, the "Book of Virtues", and certainly there's many others. But just because one might not like what the bible says, does not give license to heretics and charlatans to ban it.

This is a "free to read what anyone wishes to nation"-so long as anyone is NOT harming others with what they (merely) interpret.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I do not have much patience with a thing of beauty that must be explained to be understood. If it does need additional interpretation by someone other than the creator, then I question whether it has fulfilled its purpose.
Charlie Chaplin

A lot of us grow up and we grow out of the literal interpretation that we get when we're children, but we bear the scars all our life. Whether they're scars of beauty or scars of ugliness, it's pretty much in the eye of the beholder.
Stephen King

Language is a process of free creation; its laws and principles are fixed, but the manner in which the principles of generation are used is free and infinitely varied. Even the interpretation and use of words involves a process of free creation.
Noam Chomsky

I don't have a religion. I believe in a God. I don't know what it looks like but it's MY god. My own interpretation of the supernatural.
Jennifer Aniston

(GO Jen lol!!)
PanderBear

Somerset, KY

#95741 Mar 6, 2013
All meanings, we know, depend on the key of interpretation.
George Eliot

(Really good one----)
What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?
Antonin Scalia

Need more? lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ford Collett shot 44 min Asap 18
Mike trents Facebook less Delone on it Ha Ha 58 min Just a fling 1
The Oven Mitt 59 min Get the facts 40
Romeo's restaurant to be on restaurant impossible! 1 hr sure 33
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 2 hr want to know 694
Stinking Creekers Beware 2 hr IMMA PACKIN 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 2 hr agree 715
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages