Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,361 - 91,380 of 128,877 Comments Last updated 12 min ago

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95579
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I was so disappointed with your comments. I expected you to make negative comments about my sources of research but what was disappointind was that I thoroughy expected you to suggest a much better source for doing research but you recommended none!
Evidently my sources far exceed yours.
Of course my main source is God's word the Bible and that goes without saying!
When you decided that your religion offered the truest version of reality what was the reasoning that lead to that conclusion? How much room do you allow for other ideas to compete with your religious affiliation's ideas?

For example, let's say I'm a Scientologist. Someone tells me that L. Ron Hubbard created Scientology first as an alternative to psychiatry then changed it to a religion because there was more money in it. Let's say that I've been taught by the church that Hubbard made that change only because of the evil IRS trying to destroy him. Yet every source I can dig up outside the church supports the idea that Hubbard's main goal was always to be rich and powerful, not to speak the truth about reality.

If I am genuinely interested in seeking a good understanding of reality I would consider the evidence against Hubbard to be heavier than the evidence for him. Hard as it might be, I might have to break from my religion rather than sacrifice my reason and self-determination.

If you were in that same situation would you allow your devotion to your church outweigh your sense of reason? I ask this because I know that in the Bible there are passages that tell you to resist the words of non-believers. So what I want to know is would you truly resist your own sense of reason and the sound arguments of non-believers and adhere to something that seems to be false or highly unlikely to be true?

Which is more important, faith or reason?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95580
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a public library here in our neighborhood that is one good place to go to do research on almost any subject. There is Wickipedia on line. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society publishes information on almost any subject and every article is well reasearched and the source is listed so one can check for accurcy. I watch quite a bit of TV like the History channel. I am always careful to not accept everything. Some sources are very misleading especially information about Jehovah's Witnesses. I am always surprised how so many will post outright lies with nothing to support their statements.
Now I've revealed some of the sources for my information.
I await for your sources and how you determine if something is true or not.
This should be a slam dunk then.
CrMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Give us the hard (and accurate should go without asking) facts based on universal laws that prove the Earth's land masses were completely submerged 4,500 years ago.
A mere 4,500 years ago.
Still waiting...
We_Are_Many

Jackson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95582
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I've not read all the comments but I think Bible study in school is a good thing. Keep out denomination and just teach the teachings of Christ. People can (and I know some) use scripture to control. Just watch the Book of Eli and you will see most modern churches. The apostles didn't go around giving out titles. Stay in the Bible and leave out man's ideas and opinions. Denomination is dangerous. When we are all living with Christ there will be many there with different back grounds.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95583
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

We_Are_Many wrote:
I've not read all the comments but I think Bible study in school is a good thing. Keep out denomination and just teach the teachings of Christ. People can (and I know some) use scripture to control. Just watch the Book of Eli and you will see most modern churches. The apostles didn't go around giving out titles. Stay in the Bible and leave out man's ideas and opinions. Denomination is dangerous. When we are all living with Christ there will be many there with different back grounds.
To burst your bubble, but the bible does not say you will live with christ. The bible says that you will prostate yourself before god on his throne and for all eternity you will sing praises to god,
Your idea of heaven is not what the bible says so if you are just making up fantasy why not admit that your whole religion is fantasy
We_Are_Many

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95584
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>To burst your bubble, but the bible does not say you will live with christ. The bible says that you will prostate yourself before god on his throne and for all eternity you will sing praises to god,
Your idea of heaven is not what the bible says so if you are just making up fantasy why not admit that your whole religion is fantasy
Friend I'm not talking about Heaven. I was actually referring to the 1000 year reign of Christ on earth. Denomination is nothing more than a system. I know quiet a bit about the Lord's planet! I teach, not debate. Reply if you like, I will not.
We_Are_Many

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95585
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Oh and yes the Bible does say we will live with Christ. Paul writes about this, John writes about this. Yes, we will hang out with Joshua. I plan on asking Joshua about his child hood. The Bible goes from his birth, to a small story about age 12, then age 30, to his death which was at 33 and a half.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95586
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

So you got nothing, just like a religie.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95587
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

"In 1955 Cecil B. DeMille was filming The ten commandments and he wrote to the FOE to commend them on their work in distributing copies of the ten commandments. He suggested that they make larger monuments that could be placed at court houses and public parks, etc.
The FOE liked the idea and they worked with DeMille to promote his movie by unveiling monuments across the country just prior to its opening, with actors from the movie present at the unveilings. All in all 145 monuments were dedicated around the country before and after the release of the movie."

Lmao, go figure.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95588
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

We_Are_Many wrote:
Oh and yes the Bible does say we will live with Christ. Paul writes about this, John writes about this. Yes, we will hang out with Joshua. I plan on asking Joshua about his child hood. The Bible goes from his birth, to a small story about age 12, then age 30, to his death which was at 33 and a half.
You "plan on asking Joshua about his childhood?" You teach, not debate? GUFFAW! Your version of Christianity is a 'nanerbutter sammich based completely on the doctrines that were invented after Jesus had left the building.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95589
Mar 3, 2013
 
The bible "says", lol. Moby Dick also fiction like the bible "says", "That ain't no whale; that a great white god.". Pip is also a fictional person just like "god in a jesus suit", maybe you religies should switch books you idiots could swim with your god.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95592
Mar 3, 2013
 
I can not believe that any one really thinks any of the jewish based religions are true. The christian cult denies its roots so they know that it is fiction, I should say Abrahamic cults because the Muslums are almost as evil as the Jews and christians (almost as evil because they are brain washed from babies while the christian cult makes their religion up as they go)
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95593
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
When you decided that your religion offered the truest version of reality what was the reasoning that lead to that conclusion? How much room do you allow for other ideas to compete with your religious affiliation's ideas?
For example, let's say I'm a Scientologist. Someone tells me that L. Ron Hubbard created Scientology first as an alternative to psychiatry then changed it to a religion because there was more money in it. Let's say that I've been taught by the church that Hubbard made that change only because of the evil IRS trying to destroy him. Yet every source I can dig up outside the church supports the idea that Hubbard's main goal was always to be rich and powerful, not to speak the truth about reality.
If I am genuinely interested in seeking a good understanding of reality I would consider the evidence against Hubbard to be heavier than the evidence for him. Hard as it might be, I might have to break from my religion rather than sacrifice my reason and self-determination.
If you were in that same situation would you allow your devotion to your church outweigh your sense of reason? I ask this because I know that in the Bible there are passages that tell you to resist the words of non-believers. So what I want to know is would you truly resist your own sense of reason and the sound arguments of non-believers and adhere to something that seems to be false or highly unlikely to be true?
Which is more important, faith or reason?
If it is true faith it is based on reason and your question goes without saying!
The Real Truth-T

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95594
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

1

Want to learn about the bible or religion? Visit a church...

Want the education you paid for? Go to your public school...

It's not the state's job to teach you religion and faith.

Fortunately you live in a country where you can choose to do this, or not do this....
It's just that simple.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95595
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Hey Roamin' great to catch back up with ya!
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95596
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

We_Are_Many wrote:
I've not read all the comments but I think Bible study in school is a good thing. Keep out denomination and just teach the teachings of Christ. People can (and I know some) use scripture to control. Just watch the Book of Eli and you will see most modern churches. The apostles didn't go around giving out titles. Stay in the Bible and leave out man's ideas and opinions. Denomination is dangerous. When we are all living with Christ there will be many there with different back grounds.
why teach about christ tho? what about all the other gods out there that u are an atheist about? just cuz u dont believe in them dont mean others dont. therefore all religion junk should be left out of anything educational (non-fiction). leave all the lies and hate monger for the sunday services and away from impressionable minds of children who have parents that love them enuf to not brainwash them with jewish mythology or any other mythology. in no way will i allow my child to ever sit in a religious based classroom becuz it is against all that this country was built for. ppl came here to get away from the church control they had to face in europe, study the real history and not the churches lies and u will see some real truth about the world.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95597
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is true faith it is based on reason and your question goes without saying!
Faith in a god has absolutely nothing to do with reason, science or logic, and any statements to the contrary are just futile attempts to reconcile the discrepancies between what you read in man-made holy texts, and reality. The very definition of faith is to believe in something without needing evidence, or to quote Merriam Webster, "Firm belief in something for which there is no proof."

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95598
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Objective Onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith in a god has absolutely nothing to do with reason, science or logic, and any statements to the contrary are just futile attempts to reconcile the discrepancies between what you read in man-made holy texts, and reality. The very definition of faith is to believe in something without needing evidence, or to quote Merriam Webster, "Firm belief in something for which there is no proof."
"Faith" is just what some one believes. It is not substance, not tangible, When some one says "faith" they are saying "I believe".
Faith has no weight

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95599
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

what wrote:
<quoted text>
why teach about christ tho? what about all the other gods out there that u are an atheist about? just cuz u dont believe in them dont mean others dont. therefore all religion junk should be left out of anything educational (non-fiction). leave all the lies and hate monger for the sunday services and away from impressionable minds of children who have parents that love them enuf to not brainwash them with jewish mythology or any other mythology. in no way will i allow my child to ever sit in a religious based classroom becuz it is against all that this country was built for. ppl came here to get away from the church control they had to face in europe, study the real history and not the churches lies and u will see some real truth about the world.
What you said here is the truth. The whole basis of freedom is that every one has the same equal rights. The christian cult hates freedom and hates America
BlahBlahBlah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95600
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Public libraries are fantastic sources of information. The Watchtower is unequivocally NOT a good source of information. If you think their writings are well researched then you do not understand what the word “research” actually means. Their writings are intended to make you believe in JW, period and end of story. Truth is not part of their agenda. You do not get at truth by holding a concrete belief and then forcing everything else to fit that belief. Rather, you begin with as few biases as possible and allow the evidence to guide you. According to most theist faiths allowing reason and evidence to guide you is tantamount to giving Satan a key to your house.
Talkorigins has a great little critique of the JW book “Life”, which is a notoriously deceptive anti-science religious text that they pass off as a “science” book.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/jw-book.html
The History Channel is a joke. Ask anyone who knows anything about anything. When you call yourself History Channel and your primary programming is about aliens and pawn shops you have a serious problem. Discovery Channel is just as terrible.
Now, you've revealed some of your sources of information. But the heart of my question to you was how do you determine the merit of information? How do you evaluate a truth claim about the world?
For example, if I said to you “There is probably no such thing as ghosts.” what would be your response? What method would you use to decide if you agree or not? Your sources are important, but they are secondary to your method. Even the Public Library has crap books.
Hey now-there's some good stuff on the History channel (accurate to T's when comparing info from other resources), and Discovery chan at times. And the Library has some good books.

Kinda like thinking because the water anyone drinketh out of a bottle is better than tap, because it's in a plaskit bottle.
Ya just have to know better sometimes.:-)
BlahBlahBlah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95601
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

1

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
This should be a slam dunk then.
<quoted text>
A mere 4,500 years ago.
Still waiting...
Yew think some "particle bending data" will yield some interesting tidbits too?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

70 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
i miss my amy 21 min b ggggg 4
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr lol 1,018
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Alison Crimes is a lair 146,738
Marlena cox 1 hr You know 36
I'm looking for a hot female to playfully BED W... 2 hr Jason lake 16
Giant Cross falls on Adult Store in Tennessee 2 hr Huh 27
whats wrong with stephanie Mills from gregory l... 5 hr lucky guess 4
Elmer at Creek mart 11 hr lmao 8
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 19 hr sheila 420
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••