Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,903

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95665 Mar 5, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong!
Satan means "Accuser"... Just like you... Accusing Christians
of this, or that!
You still are of your father, the king of Liars!
I hope that changes for ya!
I ACCUSE the christian cult of ignoring the inconvenient parts of the bible and cherry picking the parts that elevate them above others
Blablahblahblah

Somerset, KY

#95666 Mar 5, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep there was... So What... Never said there wasn't... So is your problem a reading comprehension issue?
Reading comprehension (or lack there of) is not a personal problem for me, but there sure does seem to be a lot of it these days.
But, that's the world we live in, one full of problems.

How about you....yours..oh...maybe perhaps..a hard wired "memory" problem?
DuhshoeofLucifer

Somerset, KY

#95668 Mar 5, 2013
Dyslexic Luthor wrote:
Why aren't you wonderful God fearing Christians adopting the thousands of children that are already needing adopted? I expect no honest reply, as Christians do not have the moral decency to tell the truth.
<quoted text>
big·ot
noun \&#712;bi-g&#601;t\
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95669 Mar 5, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the previous poster said, faith by definition is not based on reason. You need to look up the meanings of the words and understand how they are used in conversation.
So you arrived at your position through faith. Ok. Do you believe that prayer is effective? Because there have been a lot of controlled studies done on prayer and it is not found to do anything at all.
Reason tells us prayer, while it does make us feel better personally, does not have an impact on the world around us. But let's run a little thought experiment:
Little Timmy has cancer. He's five years old. His family is praying for him like crazy. So is the entire town.
Little Suzy also has cancer. She's the same age. Again, she is getting tons and tons of prayers.
Both are also receiving all the proper medical attention that is available. The doctors say they might not last another six months.
Little Timmy suddenly starts to get better. His cancer goes into remission, ultimately being undetectable or gone. It's a miracle! The parents thank God on the 6PM news.
Little Suzy dies. Everyone is devastated. The parents listen as a preacher thanks God during the funeral.
Now...would you say that prayer worked for one child but it didn't work for the other? Did God decide to kill a kid and save a kid?
Or would you say that medicine is not an exact science and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work? Also, diseases can be unpredictable by nature?
I don't think this example is out of line with what really happens every single day.
Did you hear that Medical SCIENCE has cured a child with HIV? Yep science one prayer zero
Blahblahblahblah

Somerset, KY

#95670 Mar 5, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Did you hear that Medical SCIENCE has cured a child with HIV? Yep science one prayer zero
Science and Faith of faithful believers-one.

Dr. Anthony Fauci
Anthony Stephen Fauci was born on December 24, 1940, in Brooklyn, New York, to Stephen A. Fauci, a pharmacist, and Eugenia A. Fauci, a homemaker.[1] He graduated from Regis High School in New York City.

He went on to attend the College of the Holy Cross and received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College in 1966.

He then completed an internship and residency at The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center.[2]
Blahblahblahblah

Somerset, KY

#95671 Mar 5, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Did you hear that Medical SCIENCE has cured a child with HIV? Yep science one prayer zero
http://www.holycross.edu/departments/publicaf...
Blahblahblah

Somerset, KY

#95672 Mar 5, 2013
The Cornell House in De Ruyter, New York

After losing money in a ship venture with his older brother, Elijah Cornell decided in 1807 to go west. There was still cheap wild land available in central New York, and

Quakers from Columbia and Dutchess County had formed a settlement in De Ruyter, Madison County.

The Cornells, with infant Ezra, made the three-week journey overland by team and wagon, purchasing 150 acres on Crum Hill, about three miles east of the village, for $375. In 1810, they returned east, but came back to De Ruyter in 1818. Conditions of pioneer farming were difficult. Ezra and his younger brother Elijah had to clear land so they could plant corn among the stumps. There were also opportunities for recreation: hunting and fishing, quiltings, apple bees, barn and house raisings, and other gatherings,

and Quaker meetings.

In the winter months, the children could attend the local school.

(IE: the foundings of Cornell U-

Ezra Cornell. "A nineteenth Century Life." Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library. WEB. Last accessed 3/5/2013

“See how you are?”

Earth

#95673 Mar 5, 2013
"Broadly and generically, I'm not a regular church attender. I have evolved into less a Roman Catholic religion person [to] someone who tries to keep a degree of spirituality about them. I look upon myself as a humanist. I have faith in the goodness of mankind." - Dr. Anthony S. Fauci

“See how you are?”

Earth

#95674 Mar 5, 2013
And what do we learn from this, Blahs and girls? "Yep science one prayer zero" - SP

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#95675 Mar 5, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> Death does not scare me, as a fact...
Death does frighten you. In your gut, you know it.
Why else the need to believe you will live forever?
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> I will probably have my head cut off!
I will forgive, and in a moment... I'll be with the Lord!
I AM Looking forward to it!
And there it is. The desire for martyrdom.
The true mark of a delusional religious fanatic.
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> Don't get me wrong, I do Love what the Lord has given me, but it
will be better afterwards!
And if your "god" told you to kill your family and then shoot yourself, you would do it because "it will be better afterwards."
You are mentally ill. Please get treatment before you decide to prove how much you love your "god."
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> See... You "THINK" you have nothingness to look forward to..
I know yer wrong about that...
You should be the one concerned!
Repent, turn Towards the Lord... not away!
Good day :-)
I am not concerned. There is no "god" or "devil," no "heaven" or "hell."
You are correct about one thing though....I THINK, not believe.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95676 Mar 5, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And if your "god" told you to kill your family and then shoot yourself, you would do it because "it will be better afterwards."
You are mentally ill. Please get treatment before you decide to prove how much you love your "god."
<quoted text>
fail

Forming beliefs is thus one of the most basic and important features of the mind, and the concept of belief plays a crucial role in both philosophy of mind and epistemology.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/belief/

“See how you are?”

Earth

#95677 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>fail
Forming beliefs is thus one of the most basic and important features of the mind, and the concept of belief plays a crucial role in both philosophy of mind and epistemology.
fail.
Clearly, WITW was referencing fideism, not epistemology.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95678 Mar 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
fail.
Clearly, WITW was referencing fideism, not epistemology.
fail

feidism is a school of thought, a philosophy, a belief system.

belief is intrinsic to mind. belief is intrinsic to human nature. thoughts are of the mind. however not everyone adheres to feidism even having beliefs.
my opinion

Hyden, KY

#95679 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>fail
Beliefs are fine. However, problems arise when you are willing to judge others and make decisions with serious repercussions based on beliefs supported by little to no evidence; or worse, beliefs refuted by evidence.

Thoughts like: "We shouldn't worry about climate change, because whatever God wants to happen will." "I look forward to the dying, because then everything will be perfect." "Science is meaningless. God doesn't mean us to understand things better than we already do. " Or my favorite: "My religion should be backed by legislation, and should be the official religion of the state, even though it is no older, is backed by no more evidence, and has never been demonstrated as better for society than any other belief system."

Such thoughts all demonstrate a lack of logic, a narcissistic certainty in the superiority of your own beliefs, and a destructive "us against them" world view.

It's fine to have religion, but you should be open minded enough to accept that other people have a right to believe other things, or to try to understand the universe, even if what we discover does not support your beliefs and makes you uncomfortable in your faith.

So back to religion in schools: If you really think your faith based beliefs should be taught universally in public classrooms, you really need a more open minded, critical outlook. Your thought process is very nonconstructive.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#95680 Mar 5, 2013
"Beliefs are fine. However, problems arise when you are willing to judge others and make decisions with serious repercussions based on beliefs supported by little to no evidence; or worse, beliefs refuted by evidence."

Yep, well stated, good post.

“There is no god.”

USA

#95681 Mar 5, 2013
Liberal? Lmao, the religie lies some more, I would expect no less from someone that says they are a christian.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#95682 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>fail
feidism is a school of thought, a philosophy, a belief system.
belief is intrinsic to mind. belief is intrinsic to human nature. thoughts are of the mind. however not everyone adheres to feidism even having beliefs.
I understand what you are semantically nitpicking. That practice is playing with a cat's cradle in Plato's cave after the fire went out.

YaA's belief system (faith) is based in fideism. He throws out critical thought in favor of absurdity.
WITW was criticizing that practice, offering instead that she prefers rationalism.

"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
- David Hume

“There is no god.”

USA

#95683 Mar 5, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Good post, to bad its wasted on that idiot.

“There is no god.”

USA

#95684 Mar 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
And what do we learn from this, Blahs and girls? "Yep science one prayer zero" - SP
Lol.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95685 Mar 5, 2013
my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Beliefs are fine. However, problems arise when you are willing to judge others and make decisions with serious repercussions based on beliefs supported by little to no evidence; or worse, beliefs refuted by evidence.
Thoughts like: "We shouldn't worry about climate change, because whatever God wants to happen will." "I look forward to the dying, because then everything will be perfect." "Science is meaningless. God doesn't mean us to understand things better than we already do. " Or my favorite: "My religion should be backed by legislation, and should be the official religion of the state, even though it is no older, is backed by no more evidence, and has never been demonstrated as better for society than any other belief system."
Such thoughts all demonstrate a lack of logic, a narcissistic certainty in the superiority of your own beliefs, and a destructive "us against them" world view.
It's fine to have religion, but you should be open minded enough to accept that other people have a right to believe other things, or to try to understand the universe, even if what we discover does not support your beliefs and makes you uncomfortable in your faith.
So back to religion in schools: If you really think your faith based beliefs should be taught universally in public classrooms, you really need a more open minded, critical outlook. Your thought process is very nonconstructive.
i never stated that religion should be taught in school. i stated that beliefs are an intrinsic part of humanity. you just assumed; which reiterates my point.

the problem with beliefs is when they aren't tested against reality as a whole and only as one's perceived reality. thus you assumed believed i was advocating for one belief system en lieu of another. i wasn't.

everyone doesn't utilize the same language, cultural experiences, or space/time to assimilate and disseminate understanding.

we mature by testing our beliefs against reality and hopefully we expand our consciousness in so doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many kindergarten teachers at Lay? 11 min question 11
terry smith from the creek 1 hr wondering 4
Brett 2 hr sorry 2
To the Garland family 4 hr Friend 5
Looking for a girl who will POOP all OVER me! ;P (Apr '14) 9 hr gator 15
Jason woolum (Jul '11) 12 hr buster hyman 13
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 13 hr Mee 3
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 17 hr Get a life 8
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:47 pm PST

NFL 1:47PM
'Sound FX' spies Manziel's meeting with Marvin Lewis
Yahoo! Sports 2:09 PM
RT Eric Winston quickly settling in with Bengals
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Broncos vs. Bengals: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions