Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
91,281 - 91,300 of 128,666 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and will sing it back to you when you forget the words..

Lord help me live from day to day,
In such a humble sort of way,
To give a smile, help lift a load,
For those I meet along life's road,
And when I come to my journey's end,
My life I have not lived in vain,
If one dear friend can smile and say,
"I'm glad I met him on life's way

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Rumors
Rumors are carried by haters,
Spread by fools,
And accepted by idots!
If you went to church and said you had spent a lot of time reading about evolution by reading Dawkins, Ernst Mayr, and Gould would your church leaders say "Good. It is important to learn about these things so we can discuss them rationally." Or would they discourage you from ever doing it again?

Or perhaps you read some books on the history of religion, or listened to a Teaching Company lecture series on the history of Christianity in the USA. Would they appreciate this or would they ask you to stop doing it?
whattheymightsay

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If you went to church and said you had spent a lot of time reading about evolution by reading Dawkins, Ernst Mayr, and Gould would your church leaders say "Good. It is important to learn about these things so we can discuss them rationally." Or would they discourage you from ever doing it again?
Or perhaps you read some books on the history of religion, or listened to a Teaching Company lecture series on the history of Christianity in the USA. Would they appreciate this or would they ask you to stop doing it?
They might say "Good, good, now you see that the real world is so full of problems, not even the most wizened of "clerics" can fix them.

Probably why the Pope is getting out. Eighty five years old, run Pope run-enjoy some time on left on Earth in PEACE.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

whattheymightsay wrote:
<quoted text>
They might say "Good, good, now you see that the real world is so full of problems, not even the most wizened of "clerics" can fix them.
Probably why the Pope is getting out. Eighty five years old, run Pope run-enjoy some time on left on Earth in PEACE.
I think it's about time a leader quit office before he's too infirm to run it. Look at Byrd, Thurman, Mubarak, Khomeini... It would be nice if a dozen other senile old goats followed the Pope's lead and quit while we're behind.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
JW would be reading only the "Life" book for facts about evolution.

Watchtower Society book Life - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution Or By Creation?.

Reading Dawkins Ernst Mayr, and Gould may be considered heresy and questioning the Holy Spirit (aka Watchtower publications) could lead to shunning punishment or excommunication.
well

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

When someone wants to restrict what you can read and doesn't respect your capability to study and interpret facts for yourself, it's time to get a little skeptical.

Anyone threatened by scientific fact and objective observation is hiding from the truth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

well wrote:
When someone wants to restrict what you can read and doesn't respect your capability to study and interpret facts for yourself, it's time to get a little skeptical.
Anyone threatened by scientific fact and objective observation is hiding from the truth.
Agreed! If your religion cannot withstand scrutiny it has a problem.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! If your religion cannot withstand scrutiny it has a problem.
More to the point, when your religion cannot withstand scrutiny, what inhibits you from implementing the obvious solution?
Whattheymightsay

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's about time a leader quit office before he's too infirm to run it. Look at Byrd, Thurman, Mubarak, Khomeini... It would be nice if a dozen other senile old goats followed the Pope's lead and quit while we're behind.
Yep, everyone has a right to try and live a peaceable life while on this earth. Why some people just seem want to make that type of thing hard for others to do, just seems to be beyond logic sometimes.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Whattheymightsay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, everyone has a right to try and live a peaceable life while on this earth. Why some people just seem want to make that type of thing hard for others to do, just seems to be beyond logic sometimes.
Must be something in the Chick-n-strips(R).
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

well wrote:
JWs believe the only truth in in Gods word. To listen to others explanations of science could lead them astray and loss of faith, fiends and family. See bible quotes.

Colossians 2:8
See that there be no one who shall lead you away as a prey through philosophy and vain deceit, according to the teaching (including evolution) of men, according to the elements of the world, and not according to Christ

1 Tim 1:19-20
Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.

"Brother Hymenaeus and Alexander are two examples. I threw them out(of the church) and handed them over to Satan so they might learn not to blaspheme God."

2Thes.3:13-15
For your part, brothers, do not give up in doing right. But if anyone is not obedient to our word(Watchtower) through this letter, keep this one marked, stop associating with him, that he may become ashamed. And yet do not be considering him as an enemy, but continue admonishing (by shunning) him as a brother (until he or she repents or is excommunicated).
well

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Sounds like these rules are very much designed to discourage you from doing your own thinking.

When you are willing to let someone else tell you that they are the mouthpiece of god and that you should follow them blindly and never question anything they tell you, it's time to get some self esteem.

Life's to short to waste on utter BS.:P
well

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
More to the point, when your religion cannot withstand scrutiny, what inhibits you from implementing the obvious solution?
Fear of breaking tradition. An irrational belief that believing something enough makes it true. A fear of death so strong that people would rather believe fairy tales than face it.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

It's more about hatred.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
JW would be reading only the "Life" book for facts about evolution.
Watchtower Society book Life - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution Or By Creation?.
Reading Dawkins Ernst Mayr, and Gould may be considered heresy and questioning the Holy Spirit (aka Watchtower publications) could lead to shunning punishment or excommunication.
The Watchtower Bible and Tract does not sensor what I read. I do reasearch from a lot of different sources.
Your statement is totally incorrect. That is why I posted:
Rumors are started by haters. etc.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
The Watchtower Bible and Tract does not sensor what I read. I do reasearch from a lot of different sources.
Based on the content of your posts I highly doubt you research at all. You basically just keep saying the same thing over and over without addressing any arguments directly.

If you were going to do research on a topic such as human sexuality where would you begin? What kinds of sources would you go to? What would be your method for discerning quality information from bad information?
Google

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar. I was born in so I know. You are a liar and you lie to spread your cult. If they will sensor who you talk to, they will sensor what you read. I'm probably the biggest Apostate you will ever have the privilege to meet. I promise you I've brought more out than you brought in.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on the content of your posts I highly doubt you research at all. You basically just keep saying the same thing over and over without addressing any arguments directly.
If you were going to do research on a topic such as human sexuality where would you begin? What kinds of sources would you go to? What would be your method for discerning quality information from bad information?
Allow me to turn your question back on you----where would you turn for answers to such?

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Allow me to turn your question back on you----where would you turn for answers to such?
How about the different societies around the world?
America is not the entire world
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Where did the date 1914 come from?

Charles Taze Russell
(founding father of the Watchtower)

"Thy Kingdom Come" Vol.3
Studies in the Scriptures.

Russell taught that the Great Pyramid was the
"Divine Plan of the Ages in Stone". After
personally measuring various chambers and
passageways within the Pyramid, Russell
considered relationships of involved
combinations of numbers as being particularly
significant. He felt that these numbers were
included in the Pyramid's dimensions revealing
God's plan for the world's salvation.

"Thy Kingdom Come". 1889. pg.342
In the 1889 edition of "Thy Kingdom Come", Russell
taught that the Great Pyramid proves that the world 's greatest trouble was due to begin in 1874:

"Thy Kingdom Come". 1891. pg.342
In the 1891 revision of this same
publication, Russell taught that the
Pyramid measurements conclude that
this time of trouble was due to begin
in 1915. The actual measurements
are 3384.904 inches. Russell was
incorrect in his measurements by 31
inches, then he was off by 72 inches.

"The Time is at Hand".1889.pgs.99,101.
In this publication, Russell
boldly states that it is
"established truth" that the
Kingdom of God will be fully
established at the end of 1914.

http://www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com/1191...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Anthony Smith 17 min candy 4
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 43 min gdave950 146,293
James Gambrel 1 hr ewww 3
hailey roberts 2 hr yepp yepp 4
Stivers Center fixes 5 hr get real 51
Any couples into SCAT??? 5 hr lady ella 12
disability lawyer 5 hr been there 17
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000