Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 138198 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

The Real Truth-T

Hamilton, OH

#95594 Mar 3, 2013
Want to learn about the bible or religion? Visit a church...

Want the education you paid for? Go to your public school...

It's not the state's job to teach you religion and faith.

Fortunately you live in a country where you can choose to do this, or not do this....
It's just that simple.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#95595 Mar 3, 2013
Hey Roamin' great to catch back up with ya!
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#95596 Mar 3, 2013
We_Are_Many wrote:
I've not read all the comments but I think Bible study in school is a good thing. Keep out denomination and just teach the teachings of Christ. People can (and I know some) use scripture to control. Just watch the Book of Eli and you will see most modern churches. The apostles didn't go around giving out titles. Stay in the Bible and leave out man's ideas and opinions. Denomination is dangerous. When we are all living with Christ there will be many there with different back grounds.
why teach about christ tho? what about all the other gods out there that u are an atheist about? just cuz u dont believe in them dont mean others dont. therefore all religion junk should be left out of anything educational (non-fiction). leave all the lies and hate monger for the sunday services and away from impressionable minds of children who have parents that love them enuf to not brainwash them with jewish mythology or any other mythology. in no way will i allow my child to ever sit in a religious based classroom becuz it is against all that this country was built for. ppl came here to get away from the church control they had to face in europe, study the real history and not the churches lies and u will see some real truth about the world.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#95597 Mar 3, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is true faith it is based on reason and your question goes without saying!
Faith in a god has absolutely nothing to do with reason, science or logic, and any statements to the contrary are just futile attempts to reconcile the discrepancies between what you read in man-made holy texts, and reality. The very definition of faith is to believe in something without needing evidence, or to quote Merriam Webster, "Firm belief in something for which there is no proof."

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95598 Mar 4, 2013
Objective Onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith in a god has absolutely nothing to do with reason, science or logic, and any statements to the contrary are just futile attempts to reconcile the discrepancies between what you read in man-made holy texts, and reality. The very definition of faith is to believe in something without needing evidence, or to quote Merriam Webster, "Firm belief in something for which there is no proof."
"Faith" is just what some one believes. It is not substance, not tangible, When some one says "faith" they are saying "I believe".
Faith has no weight

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95599 Mar 4, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
why teach about christ tho? what about all the other gods out there that u are an atheist about? just cuz u dont believe in them dont mean others dont. therefore all religion junk should be left out of anything educational (non-fiction). leave all the lies and hate monger for the sunday services and away from impressionable minds of children who have parents that love them enuf to not brainwash them with jewish mythology or any other mythology. in no way will i allow my child to ever sit in a religious based classroom becuz it is against all that this country was built for. ppl came here to get away from the church control they had to face in europe, study the real history and not the churches lies and u will see some real truth about the world.
What you said here is the truth. The whole basis of freedom is that every one has the same equal rights. The christian cult hates freedom and hates America
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95600 Mar 4, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Public libraries are fantastic sources of information. The Watchtower is unequivocally NOT a good source of information. If you think their writings are well researched then you do not understand what the word “research” actually means. Their writings are intended to make you believe in JW, period and end of story. Truth is not part of their agenda. You do not get at truth by holding a concrete belief and then forcing everything else to fit that belief. Rather, you begin with as few biases as possible and allow the evidence to guide you. According to most theist faiths allowing reason and evidence to guide you is tantamount to giving Satan a key to your house.
Talkorigins has a great little critique of the JW book “Life”, which is a notoriously deceptive anti-science religious text that they pass off as a “science” book.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/jw-book.html
The History Channel is a joke. Ask anyone who knows anything about anything. When you call yourself History Channel and your primary programming is about aliens and pawn shops you have a serious problem. Discovery Channel is just as terrible.
Now, you've revealed some of your sources of information. But the heart of my question to you was how do you determine the merit of information? How do you evaluate a truth claim about the world?
For example, if I said to you “There is probably no such thing as ghosts.” what would be your response? What method would you use to decide if you agree or not? Your sources are important, but they are secondary to your method. Even the Public Library has crap books.
Hey now-there's some good stuff on the History channel (accurate to T's when comparing info from other resources), and Discovery chan at times. And the Library has some good books.

Kinda like thinking because the water anyone drinketh out of a bottle is better than tap, because it's in a plaskit bottle.
Ya just have to know better sometimes.:-)
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95601 Mar 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
This should be a slam dunk then.
<quoted text>
A mere 4,500 years ago.
Still waiting...
Yew think some "particle bending data" will yield some interesting tidbits too?
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95602 Mar 4, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
I can not believe that any one really thinks any of the jewish based religions are true. The christian cult denies its roots so they know that it is fiction, I should say Abrahamic cults because the Muslums are almost as evil as the Jews and christians (almost as evil because they are brain washed from babies while the christian cult makes their religion up as they go)
Do you think the many civilizations that have wrotten historically were just "lying.making stuff up" about everything that has ever been written?

Do you think 2000 years from now, what future generations may find in places such as the Library of Congress, will be IGNORANTLY be deemed as lies, fantasies, ignorantly dubbed as nothing but fallacies of past civilizations?

Because when you post such nonsense, that is how you sound.
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95603 Mar 4, 2013
The Real Truth-T wrote:
Want to learn about the bible or religion? Visit a church...
Want the education you paid for? Go to your public school...
It's not the state's job to teach you religion and faith.
Fortunately you live in a country where you can choose to do this, or not do this....
It's just that simple.
Want to learn more about any of it, to ponder independently for ones own self, w/out having to listen to the ideologies (Or the UNidealogies) opinion of others-go to a Library. One of the RARE services, still basically "FWEE" to the card carrying members of any of the taxpayer supported public institutions of the United States!!
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95604 Mar 4, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
why teach about christ tho? what about all the other gods out there that u are an atheist about? just cuz u dont believe in them dont mean others dont. therefore all religion junk should be left out of anything educational (non-fiction). leave all the lies and hate monger for the sunday services and away from impressionable minds of children who have parents that love them enuf to not brainwash them with jewish mythology or any other mythology. in no way will i allow my child to ever sit in a religious based classroom becuz it is against all that this country was built for. ppl came here to get away from the church control they had to face in europe, study the real history and not the churches lies and u will see some real truth about the world.
The "churches" and the "people of" have been one of the BIGGEST contributors andpreservers to the recorded histories of this Earth, for CENTURIES.

FACT, like it or not.

The Cyrus Cylinder, symbol of Persian tolerance, heads to US

The 2,600 year old Cyrus Cylinder, a promise of tolerance from the ancient Persian King, is heading to the US for the first time.(Peterson, S. CSM. WEB.)3/3/2013

The ancient Cyrus Cylinder is surrounded by cameras at a send-off ceremony to see it travel for the first time to the United States from the British Museum in London on February 19, 2013. One of the most iconic objects of the ancient world and sometimes called the world's first human rights charter, the baked-clay cylinder with cuneiform script is the declaration by the Persian King Cyrus the Great about his peaceful capture of Babylon, and his order that all peoples should be free to return to their lands and worship as they pleased.

"Jesus loves us this we know....."

Like it or NOT.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#95605 Mar 4, 2013
BlahBlahBlah wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the many civilizations that have wrotten historically were just "lying.making stuff up" about everything that has ever been written?
Do you think 2000 years from now, what future generations may find in places such as the Library of Congress, will be IGNORANTLY be deemed as lies, fantasies, ignorantly dubbed as nothing but fallacies of past civilizations?
Because when you post such nonsense, that is how you sound.
I can write a book about my little town and the bridge over the Cumberland river.... If while writing such a book I mention Invisible flying unicorns that poop glitter, using your view, future historians must conclude that invisible unicorns abound because the town I wrote of exists and the remains of the bridge are found .....

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#95606 Mar 4, 2013
BlahBlahBlah wrote:
<quoted text>
The "churches" and the "people of" have been one of the BIGGEST contributors andpreservers to the recorded histories of this Earth, for CENTURIES.
FACT, like it or not.
The Cyrus Cylinder, symbol of Persian tolerance, heads to US
The 2,600 year old Cyrus Cylinder, a promise of tolerance from the ancient Persian King, is heading to the US for the first time.(Peterson, S. CSM. WEB.)3/3/2013
The ancient Cyrus Cylinder is surrounded by cameras at a send-off ceremony to see it travel for the first time to the United States from the British Museum in London on February 19, 2013. One of the most iconic objects of the ancient world and sometimes called the world's first human rights charter, the baked-clay cylinder with cuneiform script is the declaration by the Persian King Cyrus the Great about his peaceful capture of Babylon, and his order that all peoples should be free to return to their lands and worship as they pleased.
"Jesus loves us this we know....."
Like it or NOT.
All around Ireland there are Castle Keeps that have been written of, there are tales of individuals and quests... Including fire breathing dragons and sea monsters.... So according to you, simple because we can find those castle keeps and the graves of the individuals we just have to agree "There be Dragons There"...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#95607 Mar 4, 2013
BlahBlahBlah wrote:
<quoted text>
The "churches" and the "people of" have been one of the BIGGEST contributors andpreservers to the recorded histories of this Earth, for CENTURIES.
FACT, like it or not.
The Cyrus Cylinder, symbol of Persian tolerance, heads to US
The 2,600 year old Cyrus Cylinder, a promise of tolerance from the ancient Persian King, is heading to the US for the first time.(Peterson, S. CSM. WEB.)3/3/2013
The ancient Cyrus Cylinder is surrounded by cameras at a send-off ceremony to see it travel for the first time to the United States from the British Museum in London on February 19, 2013. One of the most iconic objects of the ancient world and sometimes called the world's first human rights charter, the baked-clay cylinder with cuneiform script is the declaration by the Persian King Cyrus the Great about his peaceful capture of Babylon, and his order that all peoples should be free to return to their lands and worship as they pleased.
"Jesus loves us this we know....."
Like it or NOT.
We have found several 1000 clay tablets in what was Sumeria from a time 4000 years before the Egyptians figured out which end of a goat to milk... These tablets tell us all kinds of stuff and we find many places mentioned in those texts... We find mention on pots and other artifacts that show names and places written in those tablets...

So I guess since those parts are correct I can take for granted Humans were genetically created as workers by space aliens from the planet Niburu to dig gold right?
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95608 Mar 4, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I can write a book about my little town and the bridge over the Cumberland river.... If while writing such a book I mention Invisible flying unicorns that poop glitter, using your view, future historians must conclude that invisible unicorns abound because the town I wrote of exists and the remains of the bridge are found .....
Well heya-heya's some NON denomnational links for ya...since you seem to be having trouble staying focused and on "tract" (bahahahahahaha) of the subject mattah at hand--

http://www.bible-history.com/archaeology/pers...

OR for those whho have trouble fathoming that "faith AND Science, CAN and often DO-go hand in hand"

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Cyr...
(quoted below)

The Cyrus Cylinder (c.539-530 B.C.E.) is an ancient artifact consisting of a declaration of religious reform issued by the emperor Cyrus II (the Great), the founder and ruler of the Persian Empire, and inscribed in Babylonian (Akkadian) cuneiform on a clay cylinder. It was discovered in 1879 by the Assyro-British archaeologist Hormuzd Rassam in the foundations of the Esagila (i.e., the Marduk temple of Babylon) and is kept today in the British Museum in London.[1]

The Cyrus Cylinder is among the most significant ancient texts to provide independent support of the historicity of one of the central events of biblical history: the return of the Jews to Jerusalem under the sponsorship of Cyrus the Great to rebuild the Temple. While Cyrus credited the inspiration of the Babylonian deity Marduk for his policy of religious reforms and restoration of the temples of lesser local deities to their "eternal abodes," the Bible sees Cyrus as the agent of the Hebrew God Yahweh. The Book of Chronicles even quotes a supposed edict of Cyrus in which the king names Yahweh rather than Marduk as inspiring his actions. The Book of Isaiah, however, specifically mentions that Cyrus did not acknowledge Yahweh, yet refers to Cyrus as a "Messiah"—God's anointed—called by name by God to achieve a great destiny.

Because of its commitment to religious tolerance and its policy of ending some forms of forced labor, the Cyrus Cylinder has sometimes been described as the "first charter of human rights," although it reflects a long tradition in Mesopotamia where kings began their reigns with declarations of reforms.[2]

Notice how they all contain pert near the same information....

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#95609 Mar 4, 2013
BlahBlahBlah wrote:
<quoted text>
Well heya-heya's some NON denomnational links for ya...since you seem to be having trouble staying focused and on "tract" (bahahahahahaha) of the subject mattah at hand--
http://www.bible-history.com/archaeology/pers...
OR for those whho have trouble fathoming that "faith AND Science, CAN and often DO-go hand in hand"
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Cyr...
(quoted below)
The Cyrus Cylinder (c.539-530 B.C.E.) is an ancient artifact consisting of a declaration of religious reform issued by the emperor Cyrus II (the Great), the founder and ruler of the Persian Empire, and inscribed in Babylonian (Akkadian) cuneiform on a clay cylinder. It was discovered in 1879 by the Assyro-British archaeologist Hormuzd Rassam in the foundations of the Esagila (i.e., the Marduk temple of Babylon) and is kept today in the British Museum in London.[1]
The Cyrus Cylinder is among the most significant ancient texts to provide independent support of the historicity of one of the central events of biblical history: the return of the Jews to Jerusalem under the sponsorship of Cyrus the Great to rebuild the Temple. While Cyrus credited the inspiration of the Babylonian deity Marduk for his policy of religious reforms and restoration of the temples of lesser local deities to their "eternal abodes," the Bible sees Cyrus as the agent of the Hebrew God Yahweh. The Book of Chronicles even quotes a supposed edict of Cyrus in which the king names Yahweh rather than Marduk as inspiring his actions. The Book of Isaiah, however, specifically mentions that Cyrus did not acknowledge Yahweh, yet refers to Cyrus as a "Messiah"—God's anointed—called by name by God to achieve a great destiny.
Because of its commitment to religious tolerance and its policy of ending some forms of forced labor, the Cyrus Cylinder has sometimes been described as the "first charter of human rights," although it reflects a long tradition in Mesopotamia where kings began their reigns with declarations of reforms.[2]
Notice how they all contain pert near the same information....
And again... So what.... I can find a dozen books that speak of places and people that exist... I don't automatically say that magic dragons flamed the country side because those books mentioned names points in greater Britteny .... I can give you 20 plus links to writings of Greek towns, cities and people that also mention Zeus, Apollo and a Demigod on a flying horse... Using your reasoning because those places in those writings exist then Mount Olympus actually was filled with assorted Gods....
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95610 Mar 4, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
And again... So what.... I can find a dozen books that speak of places and people that exist... I don't automatically say that magic dragons flamed the country side because those books mentioned names points in greater Britteny .... I can give you 20 plus links to writings of Greek towns, cities and people that also mention Zeus, Apollo and a Demigod on a flying horse... Using your reasoning because those places in those writings exist then Mount Olympus actually was filled with assorted Gods....
It helps to be able to discern the possible realities, often scientifically studied, from imaginary, ignorant depictions based on nothing but ones own merely CONdescending, self serving opinion.

(And Greek Mythology has been historically pretty clear in descriptives, that such things in which may have been "believed" upon, were not necessarily tangibly "seen".)

Quite trying to DUHM everything down to mere "black and white" just to try ad insult others intelligence to gratify yourself--because that is NOT reality. Even idiots realize, there's a whole big, spectrum of OTHER colors in between.
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95611 Mar 4, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
We have found several 1000 clay tablets in what was Sumeria from a time 4000 years before the Egyptians figured out which end of a goat to milk... These tablets tell us all kinds of stuff and we find many places mentioned in those texts... We find mention on pots and other artifacts that show names and places written in those tablets...
So I guess since those parts are correct I can take for granted Humans were genetically created as workers by space aliens from the planet Niburu to dig gold right?
Sorry, you'll have to reference whatever text you're referencing, as I prefer to read and think for myself.
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95612 Mar 4, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
And again... So what.... I can find a dozen books that speak of places and people that exist... I don't automatically say that magic dragons flamed the country side because those books mentioned names points in greater Britteny .... I can give you 20 plus links to writings of Greek towns, cities and people that also mention Zeus, Apollo and a Demigod on a flying horse... Using your reasoning because those places in those writings exist then Mount Olympus actually was filled with assorted Gods....
Or are you one of those people who don't like people to think for themselves, or have their own opinions and/or beliefs?

That's rather kindly UNconstitutionall UNAmerican, and rather commieTic sounding.....
BlahBlahBlah

Somerset, KY

#95613 Mar 4, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
ist then Mount Olympus actually was filled with assorted Gods....
and no using MY reasoning,(not what you state to be my reasoning) would be that there were people that believed such to be true, but that wouldn't have made such especially true.

Just as with the Cyrus cylinder, an artifact of history that lends credence to fact that there were people of the Persian Empire times, that may have believed in a code of Civil Rights.

(if you ca pull your braincell OUT of grade school level Rainbow Bwight land for uno momento)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Disability Fraud 23 min NoGod 6
lynn camp 1 hr Parent 7
Romeo's restaurant to be on restaurant impossible! 4 hr Sharon 28
Whose the blonde prostitute that walks in town ... 5 hr Bite 1
Where Did The Town Prostitute Go (May '14) 6 hr black homie 12
Scotty Powell Not Reporting Cash Jobs 6 hr Town girl 12
where did wild roses go? 7 hr i know 5
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]