Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,396

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95428 Feb 24, 2013
Evidently some are just very slow learners!
Carl Sagan

Hazard, KY

#95429 Feb 24, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Rumors are carried by HATERS
Spread by FOOLS
and accepted by IDOTS!
The irony in this post, it burns.
so true

Morgantown, KY

#95430 Feb 24, 2013
Oh thou Great Chief,
Light a candle in my heart,
That I may see what is therein,
And sweep the rubbish from thy dwelling place

If your house cant be clean , may we at least have a good heart...
so true

Morgantown, KY

#95431 Feb 24, 2013
Dancing the past away
We push through dreariness
Finding something laid by the side
Three decades past but not forgotten
The new and the old in us mesh
We are and are not who we were
We become new people, old people rejuvenated
Hoping again, not believing, but hoping
No faith, but hoping the music lasts
Dancing the past away

May we all dance just for a little while...
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95432 Feb 24, 2013
Hellfire—Is It Part of Divine Justice?
Have you ever seen someone tortured? We hope not. Deliberate torture is sickening and abhorrent. What, though, of torture inflicted by God? Can you imagine such a thing? Yet, this is exactly what is implied by the teaching of hellfire, an official doctrine in many religions.
Imagine, for a moment, the following horrific scene: A person is being roasted on a hot iron plate. In his agony he screams for mercy, but nobody listens. The torture goes on and on, hour after hour, day after day—without pause!
Whatever crime the victim may have committed, would not your heart go out to him? What of the one who ordered the torture? Could he be a loving person? In no way! Love is merciful and shows pity. A loving father may punish his children, but he would never torture them!
Nevertheless, many religions teach that God tortures sinners in an eternal hellfire. This, it is claimed, is divine justice. If that is true, who created that terrible place of eternal torment? And who is responsible for the excruciating agonies inflicted there? The answers would seem obvious. If such a place really exists, then God would have to be the creator of it, and he would be responsible for what happens there.
Can you accept that? The Bible says:“God is love.”(1 John 4:8) Would a God of love inflict torture that even humans with any measure of decency find revolting? Surely not!
An Unreasonable Teaching
Still, many believe that the wicked will go to a fiery hell and be tormented forever. Is this teaching logical? The human life span is limited to 70 or 80 years. Even if someone perpetrated extreme wickedness for his whole lifetime, would everlasting torment be a just punishment? No. It would be grossly unjust to torment a man forever for the limited number of sins that he can commit in a lifetime.
Who knows the truth about what happens after we die? Only God can reveal this information, and he has done so in his written Word, the Bible, referred to above. Here is what the Bible says:“As the [beast] dies, so the [man] dies; and they all have but one spirit . . . All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust.”(Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20) There is no mention here of a fiery hell. Humans return to dust—to nonexistence—when they die.
In order to be tormented, an individual has to be conscious. Are the dead conscious? No.“The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.”(Ecclesiastes 9:5) It is impossible for the dead,“conscious of nothing at all,” to experience the agonies of hellfire.
Eldred Coot

United States

#95433 Feb 24, 2013
The subject is teaching the Bible; not,teaching religion. The Bible is a great literary work and most of our schools need to teach the students to read. This is not saying the words but to understand the context of what is read. The Bible is an excellent source of ideas, the interaction of various peoples and a view of the history of ancient times. Paul's writings make an excellent source of logic and the presentation of ideas. Students can plainly see that actions have reactions. Bad behavior or not following instructions can have consequences. Family values, social responsibility, and the proper interaction between people may also be gleaned.
In careful reading can educate the student in the true nature of Christianity which is likely much different that some of the views of crack pot self serving preachers.
Todays students need to be able to read material more challenging than, "See Janie run."
creeker

Mount Sterling, KY

#95434 Feb 24, 2013
Teaching The Bible in public schools is wrong because at best it creates certain ambiguities with the fundamental principles of our nation, and at worst coerces impressionable minds and robs them of the choice of faith. This is the key issue at work here, the choice of religion. The problem with teaching The Bible is not that it's a bad text, or would be harmful in any way. It is simply that by teaching it, the school is effectively promoting it, and, subsequently, the religion it represents. Which is something that is expressly forbidden by the First Amendment
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95435 Feb 24, 2013
Baptist
I was raised in the Freewill Baptist Church. My uncle was a Freewill Baptist preacher. I joined the nearby Methodist Church when I was 13 years old. My Baptist uncle was on one side and the Methodist Preacher was on the other side as they put me under. I knew they did not agree. Understandably I wondered for a long time if I was Methodist or a Baptist. I came in contact with Jehovah’s Witnesses when I was 27 years old 1964. I did not become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses until I was thoroughly convinced they had the truth. 1972

The first thing I learned (back in 1964) was Matthew 5:5 and Psalm 37:29 Nobody in the Baptist Church had ever told me I had the opportunity to live here on earth forever. I was told by the Baptists that I only had two choices either go to Heaven or Hell! Nobody to this day has been able to show me where the Bible says that. The second thing I learned is that we don't have an immortal soul as the Baptists teach. Ezekiel 18:4 and 20 Ecclesiastes 9:5,10 So if we don't have an immortal soul there is nothing left to burn in a so-called hellfire!

Then I learned that the only hope for mankind is God's Kingdom Matthew 6:9,10 Isaiah 9:6 and the only hope for the dead depends on the resurrection by Jesus Christ. Acts 24:15 John 5:28,29
This truth I would like to shove down some of my relative’s throat. But the truth won’t go in that way it has to reach the mind and heart.
oh wow

Mount Sterling, KY

#95436 Feb 24, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Baptist
I was raised in the Freewill Baptist Church. My uncle was a Freewill Baptist preacher. I joined the nearby Methodist Church when I was 13 years old. My Baptist uncle was on one side and the Methodist Preacher was on the other side as they put me under. I knew they did not agree. Understandably I wondered for a long time if I was Methodist or a Baptist. I came in contact with Jehovah’s Witnesses when I was 27 years old 1964. I did not become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses until I was thoroughly convinced they had the truth. 1972
The first thing I learned (back in 1964) was Matthew 5:5 and Psalm 37:29 Nobody in the Baptist Church had ever told me I had the opportunity to live here on earth forever. I was told by the Baptists that I only had two choices either go to Heaven or Hell! Nobody to this day has been able to show me where the Bible says that. The second thing I learned is that we don't have an immortal soul as the Baptists teach. Ezekiel 18:4 and 20 Ecclesiastes 9:5,10 So if we don't have an immortal soul there is nothing left to burn in a so-called hellfire!
Then I learned that the only hope for mankind is God's Kingdom Matthew 6:9,10 Isaiah 9:6 and the only hope for the dead depends on the resurrection by Jesus Christ. Acts 24:15 John 5:28,29
This truth I would like to shove down some of my relative’s throat. But the truth won’t go in that way it has to reach the mind and heart.
Interesting ! Do you we r put back on earth to live again after death ?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95437 Feb 25, 2013
Eldred Coot wrote:
The subject is teaching the Bible; not,teaching religion. The Bible is a great literary work and most of our schools need to teach the students to read. This is not saying the words but to understand the context of what is read. The Bible is an excellent source of ideas, the interaction of various peoples and a view of the history of ancient times. Paul's writings make an excellent source of logic and the presentation of ideas. Students can plainly see that actions have reactions. Bad behavior or not following instructions can have consequences. Family values, social responsibility, and the proper interaction between people may also be gleaned.
In careful reading can educate the student in the true nature of Christianity which is likely much different that some of the views of crack pot self serving preachers.
Todays students need to be able to read material more challenging than, "See Janie run."
The Bible is certain an important old book, but it is not necessarily great literature. The poetry of the KJV is pretty awesome but extremely dated. Well worth studying as ancient literature but not very helpful beyond that, IMHO.

In your post you seem to start out suggesting that this would be about a kind of literature class. But then you diverge into morality, logic, and the nature of Christianity. What you're saying is that it should be taught reverently, as a source of genuine wisdom. That would be tantamount to a Sunday School class, clearly a violation of the establishment clause.

I agree that having the Bible be one element of a class about ancient literature would be fine. Or having it be an element of a class about comparative religion (this, I think, would be an excellent source of training in critical thinking). But to teach the Bible on its own, as if what it said was either true or wise would be wrong.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#95438 Feb 25, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Also something that has bothered me from the first time I saw this... Look at the contrails left behind.... there are two separated contrails until the object detonates and then it is a single contrail...
Look at past meteorites and all have a single contrail as you would expect from a ball of rock .... The Only way I can see a object leaving twin contrails while burning through the atmosphere is if it was aerodynamic and produced wing tip vortex causing the trailing contrail to split and rotate around the wake vortex of each wingtip...
I have considered this a lot and cannot find a mechanism for a single stone to cause a twin contrail....
http://youtu.be/VMvvVbQcCBo...
To the naked eye... it looks just like a rock blowing up on entry!
In 1970 @ 5:30am a comet passed over AZ! It was so close, I know it was closer than the moon, the tail spanned 1/4 of the horizon.
I've not found anything about it.
Either we didn't know it was comming, or we did know, and didn't want a panic!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#95439 Feb 25, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>That has been said for hundreds of years and we laugh at you every time because...well we are still here aren't we
Oh yes... we are still here!
Killing Babies... Humping whatever moves, and some things that don't... Satan in the white house...
Society in the gutters, and we're still here!
God is good...
He's giving everyone a chance to change!

I told a 3 time heart attack Non-Believer...
God was keeping him alive, so he could change, and
he said "I never thought of it like that!"
I've not seen him since the ambulance took him away 3 years ago!
I hope he changed!
Peoplechoosethei rpaths

London, KY

#95440 Feb 25, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Baptist
It's pretty simple, there's three kinds of people in this world basically, 1. Ones that choose to try and walk the walk of the imperfect and consistently fight the daily battles, and try to live just and upright, 2. ones that may try theri best, but are weak and stumbling, due to myriads of reasons, sometimes not even of reasons unto themselves, but due to negative influences around them and then there are 3. The ones that don't give a hoot or a consideration, about anything or anyone else around them, out only for themselves and nothing else matters.

No matter the race, CREED or color, the number "three" types are ones to keep good distance away from, as they bring nothing but trouble to others.
ginger

Statesboro, GA

#95441 Feb 25, 2013
this is exactly what world politics does NOT want...christianity is not at top of totem pole in political, power, money world; thus declining ethics & violence increase

schools are not allowed to teach christianity; it is illegal as best i recall...they may teach (for all religions) facts, but not teaching which would lead one to convert or favor one religion....

although Christianity is primary religion in US (and many other countries)(primary religion in world) lawmakers have been able to prevent its teaching in schools, other than bare facts, because of "separation of state and religion"...lawmakers with agendas skewed orig constitution intent and completely took encouragement of christianity belief out of schools (prayer, etc)...

contributions of millions of dollars from Muslim prince/s in countries such as Saudi Arabia (largest donations ever) to Harvard and Georgetown Universities in US with stipulation that Islam be explained in public schools (as facts) further muddies issue.(this was done with guise of increasing tolerance among all)

Choice of faith determines our fate after bodily life (our spiritual fate). Teaching will have to be done at home and in churches.....interesting to note; however, in Middle Eastern countries it is illegal to teach about Christiainity & throughout the country

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95442 Feb 25, 2013
ginger wrote:
this is exactly what world politics does NOT want...christianity is not at top of totem pole in political, power, money world; thus declining ethics & violence increase
schools are not allowed to teach christianity; it is illegal as best i recall...they may teach (for all religions) facts, but not teaching which would lead one to convert or favor one religion....
although Christianity is primary religion in US (and many other countries)(primary religion in world) lawmakers have been able to prevent its teaching in schools, other than bare facts, because of "separation of state and religion"...lawmakers with agendas skewed orig constitution intent and completely took encouragement of christianity belief out of schools (prayer, etc)...
contributions of millions of dollars from Muslim prince/s in countries such as Saudi Arabia (largest donations ever) to Harvard and Georgetown Universities in US with stipulation that Islam be explained in public schools (as facts) further muddies issue.(this was done with guise of increasing tolerance among all)
Choice of faith determines our fate after bodily life (our spiritual fate). Teaching will have to be done at home and in churches.....interesting to note; however, in Middle Eastern countries it is illegal to teach about Christiainity & throughout the country
It is not politicians that stop you from pushing your cult on to children, it is us people who know that there are many religions and many gods so no one religion may be forced on to people

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#95444 Feb 25, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Also something that has bothered me from the first time I saw this... Look at the contrails left behind.... there are two separated contrails until the object detonates and then it is a single contrail...
Look at past meteorites and all have a single contrail as you would expect from a ball of rock .... The Only way I can see a object leaving twin contrails while burning through the atmosphere is if it was aerodynamic and produced wing tip vortex causing the trailing contrail to split and rotate around the wake vortex of each wingtip...
I have considered this a lot and cannot find a mechanism for a single stone to cause a twin contrail....
http://youtu.be/VMvvVbQcCBo...
I ate 3 country ham biscuits, and left a contrail from the kitchen to my recliner.

I think it was a single, but I didn't stick around to examine.

How are ye, you Hillbilly?

Still strum that 6-string? Best regards.
Google

Hazard, KY

#95445 Feb 25, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Baptist
Ha, so you were around for the big lie of 1975 when they said the end would come and the big lie for this generation will not pass away? You've lived through two of their false prophesies yet you still peddle their crap? So when is their next end date? It has to be soon to keep their lie alive doesn't it?

Drink the Kool aid, it doesn't need ice or sugar, its good as is.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#95446 Feb 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I ate 3 country ham biscuits, and left a contrail from the kitchen to my recliner.
I think it was a single, but I didn't stick around to examine.
How are ye, you Hillbilly?
Still strum that 6-string? Best regards.
Hey ya old chicken plucker... I'm peachy... and yea I'm trying to keep the hands working... Got the bike in parts all over the house so the pickens on the back burner at the moment... Same here bud wish you the best of daze......

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95447 Feb 25, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Spread by FOOLS
and accepted by IDOTS!
I'm not usually given to gossip, but the story around the water fountain is that the Jehovah Witnesses are true followers of Jesus and that the Bible is not only accurate, but is actually the indisputable Word of God.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95448 Feb 25, 2013
Google wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha, so you were around for the big lie of 1975 when they said the end would come and the big lie for this generation will not pass away? You've lived through two of their false prophesies yet you still peddle their crap? So when is their next end date? It has to be soon to keep their lie alive doesn't it?
Drink the Kool aid, it doesn't need ice or sugar, its good as is.
Spread by FOOLS
and accepted by IDOTS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HeShe backing warren for judge 7 min Sick boy 6
Is Mike Warren the man for Judge Ex? 1 hr Kristy 19
Family Court Judge 1 hr really 55
Michele Merida got married ? 2 hr Well 2
Posts being removed about Jailer 3 hr Please stay on track 4
who will you vote for as jailer 4 hr FB Friends 40
who got arrested at bville walmart? 4 hr Walmart shopper 3
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville Jobs