Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,554)

Showing posts 91,061 - 91,080 of128,024
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

If reading is a "constitutional right", lmao, why is the goverment not curing blindness like "god in a jesus suit" did.
Napoleon said it best

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

CommonSense101 wrote:
Obvioulsy for many, evolution is their "religion" per say.
Or there wouldn't be a "Society" of it.
I believe in the law of gravity and the theory that explains it. Do you consider that a religion?

If so, then you have diluted the definition of religion to an absurd level in this argument to make a point, and as such have committed a fallacy and your argument is invalid.

If not, then please explain how one scientific understanding can be a religion and the other not, based on your criteria.

Then we could examine your argument and realize that instead of using definitions for all 3 terms, you used one, and then used quotes of individual interpretation of the definition, and your premises for your argument are unacceptable on that basis alone; making your argument completely invalid.

In what world do you think you have made the case that evolution is a religion? You haven't.

Let me further destroy a common argument that evolution being a theory requires as much faith as one who believes in God does and put this completely to rest for you.

Evolution being a theory doesn't require faith...as scientific theories are not merely acts of faith. Let's learn about science:

A scientific law is an observed physical phenomenon that always occurs. I.e. things fall down, things at rest tend to stay at rest, or offspring are different from their parents. These are scientific laws. Note that there is absolutely no explanation for any of these events within the law, only a description of the observation. The explanation is the theory: in this case, the theories of gravity, inertia and evolution.

There is indeed a "law" of evolution, and that is that the genetic composition of a population changes over time (offspring are different than their parents). Every piece of evidence gathered so far from a wide variety of fields has supported the theory of evolution as the explanation for this observed 'law'. There is no point at which a theory somehow graduates to become a law. A theory is either upheld (as evolution has been, time and time again), or it is discarded (as spontaneous generation was).

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
Do you know why people make the mistake of blaming God for all the suffering in the world? In many cases, they blame Almighty God because they think that he is the real ruler of this world. They do not know a simple but important truth that the Bible teaches. The real ruler of this world is Satan the Devil.
He is also mileading you into being an atheist. That is one way he is misleading the whole world.
2 Corinthians 4:4... the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.
That's called insurance against reason. You stick things like that in your religion to make sure smart people think twice about thinking. Don't need no thinkers in the faith.

Also, if God is not powerful enough to prevent suffering then he/she/it isn't the all powerful being it claims to be. You can't have it both ways. God is either not all powerful or he's kind of a dooshbag.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in God or Satan, No one made me become an atheist. What made me become an atheist was my own realization that
a)the stories of the buybull regarding creation were inconsistent with evolution.
b) the lack of proof of a god
c) the reality that the god of the buybull is a cruel autocratic tyrant.
D)the realization that the buybull has many inconsistencies
E) The fact that the buybull is plagiarized from many different sources.
F)The hatred displayed by its followers.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Napoleon said it best wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in the law of gravity and the theory that explains it. Do you consider that a religion?
If so, then you have diluted the definition of religion to an absurd level in this argument to make a point, and as such have committed a fallacy and your argument is invalid.
If not, then please explain how one scientific understanding can be a religion and the other not, based on your criteria.
Then we could examine your argument and realize that instead of using definitions for all 3 terms, you used one, and then used quotes of individual interpretation of the definition, and your premises for your argument are unacceptable on that basis alone; making your argument completely invalid.
In what world do you think you have made the case that evolution is a religion? You haven't.
Let me further destroy a common argument that evolution being a theory requires as much faith as one who believes in God does and put this completely to rest for you.
Evolution being a theory doesn't require faith...as scientific theories are not merely acts of faith. Let's learn about science:
A scientific law is an observed physical phenomenon that always occurs. I.e. things fall down, things at rest tend to stay at rest, or offspring are different from their parents. These are scientific laws. Note that there is absolutely no explanation for any of these events within the law, only a description of the observation. The explanation is the theory: in this case, the theories of gravity, inertia and evolution.
There is indeed a "law" of evolution, and that is that the genetic composition of a population changes over time (offspring are different than their parents). Every piece of evidence gathered so far from a wide variety of fields has supported the theory of evolution as the explanation for this observed 'law'. There is no point at which a theory somehow graduates to become a law. A theory is either upheld (as evolution has been, time and time again), or it is discarded (as spontaneous generation was).
Good post, well stated.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That's called insurance against reason. You stick things like that in your religion to make sure smart people think twice about thinking. Don't need no thinkers in the faith.
Also, if God is not powerful enough to prevent suffering then he/she/it isn't the all powerful being it claims to be. You can't have it both ways. God is either not all powerful or he's kind of a dooshbag.
Yep.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Look it up, long time back.
<quoted text>
The only point standing was to show you had no ideal what my statement was about, and judged me "intellectually shallow".
<quoted text>
You should stop doing it.
I use nazi for one religie and that religie claimed to be a nazi, soooooo, there you go.
<quoted text>
Lol, and how pray tell, might one "argue" in a good way?
Unless you are here to make friends, I for one am not.
But I feel a few on this thread are kindred spirits.
Lmfao.
I wasn't aiming that comment directly at you. I apologize if I offended.

My point was simply that comparisons to Nazis are a good indicator of a person without a sound argument. I didn't read everything you posted on the subject so if I misjudged you I am sorry.

I don't make those comparisons anymore. I have done it in the past but once you go down that road a time or two you kind of realize how futile and pointless it is. Again I'm reminded of a thread a long time back where a guy posted page after page trying to link Darwin to Hitler. It was completely stupid but it demonstrated the point that these comparisons are useless. I think it was when I saw those pages of posts I kind of realized this.

But that's just me. Oh, and the internet... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Good post, well stated.
Yeah, I totally agree. Great post.
Anti-theist

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
You probably just made that person's head explode. Good reply.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't aiming that comment directly at you. I apologize if I offended.
My point was simply that comparisons to Nazis are a good indicator of a person without a sound argument. I didn't read everything you posted on the subject so if I misjudged you I am sorry.
I don't make those comparisons anymore. I have done it in the past but once you go down that road a time or two you kind of realize how futile and pointless it is. Again I'm reminded of a thread a long time back where a guy posted page after page trying to link Darwin to Hitler. It was completely stupid but it demonstrated the point that these comparisons are useless. I think it was when I saw those pages of posts I kind of realized this.
But that's just me. Oh, and the internet... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
lol
I agree, but as I said when a religie claims to be a nazi I will keep reminding them. Apologize, no need, this is topix and I enjoy your posts.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

CommonSense101 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU are the poor "LIAR".
CommieTicsandzealots wrote:
<quoted text>
WTH are you babbling about fool? MY "God" killed no one, nor declared rape as "good", and never demanded any children be killed.
----------
Dangit. Do we have to go though all the references, citations and proof AGAIN just because another Christian doesn't read his Bible and can't even use a search engine?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, but as I said when a religie claims to be a nazi I will keep reminding them. Apologize, no need, this is topix and I enjoy your posts.
Its weird when people claim to be Nazis!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

CommonSense101 wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG. No fact at all to what you jsut typed, only your mere opinion.
MY Opinion however-is different-based on definative meanings of the following words-
Obvioulsy for many, evolution is their "religion" per say.
Or there wouldn't be a "Society" of it.
Religion:
Religions, by which are meant the modes of divine
worship proper to different tribes, nations, or
communities, and based on the belief held in common
by the members of them severally.... There is no
living religion without something like a doctrine.
On the other hand, a doctrine, however elaborate,
does not constitute a religion.--C. P. Tiele
(Encyc.
Brit.).
Community:
2. A body of people having common rights, privileges, or
interests, or living in the same place under the same laws
and regulations; as, a community of monks. Hence a number
of animals living in a common home or with some apparent
association of interests.
[1913 Webster]
Society (See also: Community)
NOUN (4)
1. an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and economic organization;
2. a formal association of people with similar interests;
- Example: "he joined a golf club"
- Example: "they formed a small lunch society"
See the common thread there yet?
But in your definition of religion it begins with the idea of "divine worship".

There is no "divine worship" anywhere in science.

So the idea that evolution is a religion is wrong, even based on your narrow argument from definitions. It is also wrong in every other way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

CommonSense101 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU are the poor "LIAR".
CommieTicsandzealots wrote:
<quoted text>
WTH are you babbling about fool? MY "God" killed no one, nor declared rape as "good", and never demanded any children be killed.
----------
Well, I haven't read all your posts but I assume you are a Christian based on the posts I have read. If that's not true, then you can ignore the rest of what I'm saying.

God did in fact order the killing of children. The Amalekites, to be precise. Read 1 Samuel 15:2-3:

"This is what the Lord Almighty says:I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

So yeah. The God of the Bible did that. Among other things.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

CommonSense101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I've read the Bible cover to cover-and then some (including other works of literature of various faiths) Don't you ever get tired of merely attacking others that have their own opinions, thus leading you to post ignorantly?
Just because I do NOT hold the same ugly, hateful perspective of the book as a whole, as you do, does not mean I do not know anything about it.
It matters not one iota to me, what these other "cult" leaders you rant on about may wish for me not to read-I live in America, where reading is a Constitutional RIGHT. Personally, I have never encountered anyone that even wished to tell me what I could or could not read-nor would I desire to, as I would find such a type of person to be STEEPED in Ignorance, and I have a low tolerance for willfull Ignorance, I call it a personal flaw of mine own.
You however, Might want to try putting down your pitchfork of hate, and you might feel better. why, you might even be able to sa something nice about others rights to individual opinions(besides just your own) then too!!
Please tell me what "god" you are talking about. Dont say jesus now
CommonSense101

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
FACT:
To state that anyone "worships" evolution as a "religion" shines a spotlight on the caliber of scrutiny by which most Christians conduct "Bible Study." It is on par with their inability to comprehend that there is no such thing as "a belief in the religion of atheism." There seems to be some construct of thought by which many of the devout cannot accept that others need not process information within a theological or ideological framework.
Not my problem either.

I just have no tolerance for the lemming herd pack, mindless bobblehead, hyprocrTICal witchhunter types, that don't have a brain enough to realize how badly their own skank, nasty ignorance stinks.
CommonSense101

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I never denied evolution as a theory, I've just merely upheld that it too, is an INcomplete one, still unable to establish a definative basis of 100 percent accuracy, as to "how life, more specifically, humna kind, as we know it" came into existance.

As a matter of FACT, I've been very PROponent of it, as that was the environment-very SPECIFIC to my own upbringing, rather than "winnie the pooh and tiger too, googoohahgah" type entrapment of guilt parlayed, 12 year old Mentality NONsense.

And as for the rest of your post, I already clearly explained my perspective on, but will add, evolution was NOT always a theory, therefore-
Once AGAIN-

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Albert Einstien
CommonSense101

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Please tell me what "god" you are talking about. Dont say jesus now
Okayyy...since you axed-

There's three-they're toads...and they're names are...
Jack Schitt, No Schitt and Youdontknow Schitt.

The moral of their book, "No Schitt, Youdontknow Jack Schitt" is don't throw schitt if you you don't want schitt thrown back, especially if you don't realize your own schitt doesn't stink worse than no schitt becasue you don't know schitt".

So next time your on the terlet, and ya need something tuh think about, "try yer OWN schitt, and don't worry about anyone else's schitt, cause anyone's own schitt is schitt enough!"

From the book of "Schitt fer Schittferbrains" by No Schitt, Jack Schitt and Youdontknow Schitt.

That answer your question?
CommonSense101

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I haven't read all your posts but I assume you are a Christian based on the posts I have read. If that's not true, then you can ignore the rest of what I'm saying.
God did in fact order the killing of children. The Amalekites, to be precise. Read 1 Samuel 15:2-3:
"This is what the Lord Almighty says:I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."
So yeah. The God of the Bible did that. Among other things.
We, that have read the Bible, all know the horror tales within.

I do believe a good and loving God holds better for those who heed in wisdom, rather than ignore out of willful (or even worse-hateful) ignorance though.
CommonSense101

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
But in your definition of religion it begins with the idea of "divine worship".
There is no "divine worship" anywhere in science.
So the idea that evolution is a religion is wrong, even based on your narrow argument from definitions. It is also wrong in every other way.
I'd disagree-Derwin, for one example, worshipped plant life and birds, all his life. As a matter of FACT, he wrote and rewrote his book "The Origin of the Species" five times, in thirteen years, due to constant new findings.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 91,061 - 91,080 of128,024
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

61 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 20 min DITCH MITCH 144,957
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 22 min BIG_STEVIE 16,110
verna warren 1 hr would like to know 3
KC Basketball Coach 3 hr KC Fan 66
verna warren 3 hr would like to know 1
looking for a mini pot belly pig 3 hr har 1
Huge yard sale 4 hr Tiff 1
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 16 hr Butt head 383
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••