Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,855

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#95333 Feb 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you oppose wind and solar power in favor of daqngerous nuke power????
Because they Do Not Work as advertized... First they can produce only a fraction of our requirements, They don't produce power reliably (wind don't always blow and the sun don't always shine), they both require Fossil Fuel or Nuclear Power plants to supply power when the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining ... At this time most large wind mill farms have to have a Fossil Fuel power plant running 24/7 even when not supplying the grid just in case the wind stops..

In order to supply say the Power needed to run my little town we were to use wind power only we would have to have 90 - 400 foot tall windmills and a large fossil fuel power plant, or a fairly large hydroelectric supply as back up for when the wind don't blow...

To supply your average home via Solar you need a 40KW system (20 can do it but over a 5 year period the degradation of the output will drop a 40kw system to a 25 to 30 KW system)..Or completely rebuild your home to Hyper Efficiency... If you have a extra 50 to 100 thousand bucks laying around great... Most people don't....

Also what most people that don't know how the Grid works and why is you cannot run electrical wiring long distances between power plants...

You cannot Build a Power Plant out in the New Mexico desert and power New York ..or St. Louis for that matter... The old Ohm's Law comes into play with Line Loss and if you tried a 50 megawatt plant in New Mexico would not supply the power to light a street light in New York... it's would be lost in the lines... So you have to build power plants in a grid to add current to the lines at regular intervals...

Solar panels on a home in Fl might be feasible but not in Michigan or most states above the 40th parallel....

Now add all those wonderful electrical cars that require charging, more computers, tv's, toasters and microwaves and the idea of replacing even 1% of our power usage with windmills and solar is impossible......

In Texas there are 1000's of 400 foot tall windmills taking up 10's of 1000's of acres of land in huge projects around the state... those windmills produce 10,929 MW of power... But they also have 14 Fossil Fuel Powered plants operating 24/7 to supply power when the wind is not blowing and those plants must run all the time as it can take a week or longer to start up a cold plant... So even when those fossil plants are not supplying power to the grid they have to burn fuel constantly... The Texas System cost around 3.4 Billion dollars to build and the Entire system state wide produces a whopping 6.2% of the states energy requirements....

But that's Texas with lots of wind and vast unpopulated areas...

To supply the Same energy needs, 4 small nuke power plants could replace all the windmills in Texas, not require any fossil plants to be required as back up, cost half as much to build and take up .02% of the land coverage...

Somerset, KY

#95334 Feb 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
And whats so dangerous about a nuke plant... More people died building Hoover Dam than in all Nuke Plant accidents combined...

In Fact More people have been killed by Wind Mills than have died from Nuke Plant accidents in the US... Which is ZERO

Total people that can be directly tied to Nuke accidents World Wide is about 60....

But Windmills are deadly....

Summary of Wind Turbine Incidents (December 2008):
• 41 worker fatalities - includes falling from turbine towers and transporting turbines on the highway.
• 39 Incidents of blade failure - failed blades can travel over 400 meters, killing any unfortunate bystanders.
• 110 Incidents of fire - When a wind turbine fire occurs, local fire departments can do little but watch due to the 30-story height of these turbine units. The falling debris are then carried across the distance and cause new fires.
• 60 Incidents of structural failure- As turbines become more prevalent, these breakages will become more common in public areas, thereby causing more deaths and dismemberment’s from falling debris.
• 24 incidents of “hurling ice”- Ice forms on these giant blades and is reportedly hurled at deathly speeds in all directions. Author reports that some 880 ice incidents having occurred over Germany’s 13-years of harnessing wind power.”

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95335 Feb 21, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
And whats so dangerous about a nuke plant... More people died building Hoover Dam than in all Nuke Plant accidents combined...
In Fact More people have been killed by Wind Mills than have died from Nuke Plant accidents in the US... Which is ZERO
Total people that can be directly tied to Nuke accidents World Wide is about 60....
But Windmills are deadly....
Summary of Wind Turbine Incidents (December 2008):
• 41 worker fatalities - includes falling from turbine towers and transporting turbines on the highway.
• 39 Incidents of blade failure - failed blades can travel over 400 meters, killing any unfortunate bystanders.
• 110 Incidents of fire - When a wind turbine fire occurs, local fire departments can do little but watch due to the 30-story height of these turbine units. The falling debris are then carried across the distance and cause new fires.
• 60 Incidents of structural failure- As turbines become more prevalent, these breakages will become more common in public areas, thereby causing more deaths and dismemberment’s from falling debris.
• 24 incidents of “hurling ice”- Ice forms on these giant blades and is reportedly hurled at deathly speeds in all directions. Author reports that some 880 ice incidents having occurred over Germany’s 13-years of harnessing wind power.”
Since we do not hear how the military needs more money because the nuclear reactors on aircraft carriers and battleships, submarines etc I would say that they can make them to last and they make them safe

Somerset, KY

#95336 Feb 21, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Since we do not hear how the military needs more money because the nuclear reactors on aircraft carriers and battleships, submarines etc I would say that they can make them to last and they make them safe
Yup... even the little rover on Mars has a nuclear reactor on it...

We have had reactors running at full power for decades without a single fault... And in the US our worse reactor accident ever killed 1 person and that was back in the day during the Manhattan Project...

Since 3 Mile Island with all the fear and scare tactics there has been no measurable increase in even cancer rates in the area.... Today Nagasaki and Hiroshima have a lower cancer rate than Denver Colo....
GWB

Roseville, CA

#95337 Feb 21, 2013
The American political process is being hijacked by a reckless, whining dangerous gang of psychologically damaged white men who are far right ideologues.

And the extreme insanity of the right wing rhetoric over the last 4 years, from “birther” to Obama-is-a-Muslim etc., etc., conclusively points to something other than politics.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankschaeffer/2...
Google

London, KY

#95339 Feb 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
“The Time Left Is Reduced”
TIME is running out for this system of things. One reason why many have come to this conclusion is that the very existence of humankind is imperiled. Why, a nuclear holocaust seems so close today that it is said to be just “three minutes to midnight”! Writing on the subject “The Shadow of the Bomb,” Australian journalist Nick Brash stated:“A stick of gelignite weighing half a kilogram is enough to blow a man apart. Yet the nuclear stockpile is the equivalent today of four tonnes of gelignite for every man, woman and child on earth. More than $500 billion has been ploughed into nuclear weapons and more than $40 billion will be spent on weapons around the world this year [1983]. It’s an awesome amount of overkill. Equivalent to spraying a lone mosquito with 10 cans of [the insecticide] Mortein.”—The Sun Weekend Magazine (Melbourne, Australia), April 23, 1983. It is hard to imagine the probable effects of nuclear warfare. Besides the death of hundreds of millions, the pall of global fallout, the ecological impact and the like, there would be incredible disruption of social, political and economic affairs earth wide. In fact, Dr. Brian Martin, a physicist and researcher at the Australian National University, admits:“Simply not enough is known to predict with confidence all the global effects of nuclear war.”
The future seems ominous indeed. But lovers of God, take heart! Although time is running out for the present system of things, mankind will not destroy itself in a chaotic nuclear holocaust. Of that we can be certain, for Jehovah,“the Shaper and Maker” of the earth,“did not create it as a chaos, he shaped it to be inhabited.”(Isaiah 45:18, Byington) Of course, if mankind is to be saved from annihilation, prompt superhuman action must be taken to end this system, as well as its nuclear madness. Happily, the Creator of planet Earth and mankind will soon destroy this wicked, suicidal system. Its time is short because “the great day of Jehovah” is imminent!(Zephaniah 1:14-18) Yet, how comforting to know that during that rapidly approaching day of reckoning,‘Jehovah will guard all those loving him, but all the wicked ones he will annihilate’!—Psalm 145:20.
The JWs are a doomsday cult, always screaming the end is any second now. You're the type that would think God wants you to blow something up just to get things started. You're dangerous and a drain on society.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95340 Feb 21, 2013
Google wrote:
<quoted text>
The JWs are a doomsday cult, always screaming the end is any second now. You're the type that would think God wants you to blow something up just to get things started. You're dangerous and a drain on society.
Revelation 21:3-5 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say:“Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
5 And the One seated on the throne said:“Look! I am making all things new.” Also, he says:“Write, because these words are faithful and true.

Does that sound like doomsday prophecy or a solution to mankinds problems? You decide.
wassup

United States

#95341 Feb 21, 2013
l,l
Google

London, KY

#95342 Feb 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 21:3-5 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say:“Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
5 And the One seated on the throne said:“Look! I am making all things new.” Also, he says:“Write, because these words are faithful and true.
Does that sound like doomsday prophecy or a solution to mankinds problems? You decide.
Millions now living will never die. Now you decide.
Carl Sagan

Hazard, KY

#95343 Feb 21, 2013
Google wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dangerous and a drain on society.
Quoted for the truth.
Google

London, KY

#95344 Feb 21, 2013
When a religion thinks that their God will kill 99.99% of everyone then that's a religion that will think its their responsibility to light the fuse.

Me and my religion is better than everyone and our God will kill those that don't agree with us. That's the good news of the JWs.
Truth

Pikeville, KY

#95345 Feb 21, 2013
This thread is over 3 years old now! I think its time to let it die already. Because after 3 years this hasnt be solved, it prob wont ever be

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95346 Feb 22, 2013
Radiatethis wrote:
<quoted text>
The US has a TON of nuclear plants.
Bet you wouldn't be all on board for the end consumer COST per kilowat-or using one dem dar diviner rods trying find water supplies enough to run 'em...OR the training required to build, maintain and DEionize those suckers after their short shelf life have run out, and the then still active carciogenic spent rods have to be placed somewhere, to glow for continued years radioactively.
Let alone that little, continual hummmmmm, as radiaton fissions...under the DEMAND of continual MELTdown and leakage watches...as the common housefly expands by a few evolutionary milimeters.
PHYSICS REQUIRED.
Yes, you are correct. We have 65 plants, according to Wiki. What I meant to suggest was that we need more. There is a public fear of these plants that curtails our desire to build them. Yet they are far more efficient and cost effective than traditional plants. If you think a nuclear plant has a high cost just compare it to a traditional plant cranking out the same energy. It is off the charts.

I don't understand the rest of your post. WTF are you talking about?

Somerset, KY

#95348 Feb 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
This thread is over 3 years old now! I think its time to let it die already. Because after 3 years this hasnt be solved, it prob wont ever be
All the worlds problems have been solved in this very thread... In Theory..

Somerset, KY

#95349 Feb 22, 2013
And then there is this...

http://youtu.be/LizHgQ44ShI

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#95350 Feb 22, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
I oppose wind and solar power in favor of fossil fuel power, wind and solar make too much pollution per Watt. Manufacture, installation, maintenance, repair, upgrade, replacement and disposal all create dangerous waste. Wind and solar are inefficient because they produce small amounts of electricity and production varies greatly over time. I need electricity when I turn a switch, not when the wind blows of sun is up. Wind power slaughters flying things and solar shades the flowers. I don't see the green, unless you mean government incentives.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#95351 Feb 22, 2013
GWB wrote:
AA Allen Tent Revival
Man with spine and stomach cancer who doctors have done all they can will die unless he gets a miracle from Jesus. Man cannot walk but was wheeled in to faith healer AA Allen. Watch AA Allen heal this man.
http://www.topix.com/forum/state/ky/TEQBSM980...
if u believe in tent revival miracles then u will believe in anything....lol
One God

Harold, KY

#95352 Feb 22, 2013
No one religion should be in schools. JUDAISM! Read it, truly understand it and be surprised.

Somerset, KY

#95353 Feb 22, 2013
One God wrote:
No one religion should be in schools. JUDAISM! Read it, truly understand it and be surprised.
Truth wrote:
"All the worlds problems have been solved in this very thread... In Theory.."

Here, I'll show you... I'll solve one of the world great problems in theory.... All Religions are Cults... Stop It...

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95354 Feb 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
"All the worlds problems have been solved in this very thread... In Theory.."
Here, I'll show you... I'll solve one of the world great problems in theory.... All Religions are Cults... Stop It...
Except mine, I worship the one true god.....oh flash back to my stupid youth

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 20 min TOASTup 404
Need food badly 2 hr Keep trying 24
truck payments 2 hr hunter 9
city of barbourville 3 hr Three losers 15
Rats?? just wondering 3 hr pacman 4
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 4 hr yea 2
hp laptop 5 hr travis 15
Porsche mills 9 hr Prayers 17
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Dexter McCluster out Thursday, likely out Week 17 as well
NBC Sports 2:30 PM
Manziel looking for better showing in second start - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Titans RB McCluster ruled out of game vs. Jaguars - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:47 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick