Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,154

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95308 Feb 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that I can agree with.... In Science the only thing that can be accurately be called Proof is a Mathematical Proof and is a term of art in mathematics.... Other than that the Terms "Proof" & "Proven" are Individual Conclusions and never absolutes...
A single piece of Evidence may cause a individual to say a claim is proven but a 1000 pieces of evidence about the same claim to another individual may not cause they to say the claim is proven...
Take the UFO idea... I have studied 1000's of pieces of evidence and I am not convinced that UFO are extraterrestrial craft, I have even taken a photo of what could be classified as a UFO yet all that Evidence has not convinced me of the claim...
Others have seen just one light in the sky are are absolutely convinced of the claim that UFO are extraterrestrial space craft...
Yep. That's pretty much the gist of it.

And since acceptance of ideas is on the individual level you get a lot of variation even among people who understand and practice what you described above, which I would simply call scientific skepticism.

For example, I tend to lend more trust to mainstream science than you do. We've had discussions about this before. So I accept the general consensus on Climate Change but I think you are not on board with it. As we move forward, if we both apply this thinking as strictly as possible, and if the picture becomes clearer over time, one of us will almost certainly change his position.

Otherwise we're looking not at scientific skepticism, but dogma.

Ask a Christian how many years must pass without Jesus returning to Earth before he'll change his mind about Christianity.
IntelligentDesig n

Somerset, KY

#95309 Feb 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"So you say but cannot demonstrate" - Q
Put your glasses on, and get a microscope or a few out!

(otherwise, I shall consider you BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIII IIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG).

:-)
IntelligentDesig n

Somerset, KY

#95310 Feb 20, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. That's pretty much the gist of it.
And since acceptance of ideas is on the individual level you get a lot of variation even among people who understand and practice what you described above, which I would simply call scientific skepticism.

Otherwise we're looking not at scientific skepticism, but dogma.
Ask a Christian how many years must pass without Jesus returning to Earth before he'll change his mind about Christianity.
Bravo!

Books such as the Bible do NOT belong in any "Science" classroom.

Now how many pages of posts did it take before the IDIOTS that whined about such, in their incessant IGNORANCE, figured out-that is WHY, we do NOT have the "Bible" in ANY SCIENCE classroom.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95311 Feb 20, 2013
The Truth wrote:
It's sad when a forum for debate of a theocratic law is lessened to trivial insults on ones grammar.
"Ones" being the possessive form of one?
I'm reminded of the story of an editor who wanted to publish a book with no spelling or grammatical errors. After exhaustive reviews of the text he was satisfied and the book was published - with a spelling error on the title page.
In some cases it is appropriate to point out when the pot is calling the kettle black.
Debate on "theocratic law?" What is to debate? The notion is evil. The only Christian "country" that is a theocracy is Vatican City, and even it is still subject to the secular laws of Italy.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95312 Feb 20, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a lot smarter than I give you credit for! That is better than saying you are not as dumb as I thought you are! Basically it is saying the same thing. Tee Hee!
I have never claimed to be the sharpest tack in the pack or immune from foibles. In this forum I merely assert that the Bible (or Talmud or Qur'an or Kabbalah or Bhagavad Gita or a Book of the Dead or Tipitaka or Mabinogion...) is nothing more or less than a book and that adherence to a theology is indicative of a mental disorder.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Bimble, KY

#95313 Feb 20, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a teen in the 80s I was pretty terrified of the nukes. I agree that the previous poster's little rant was way overblown, however I would NEVER underestimate the devastation that could follow a nuclear strike. Even if the casualties were relatively small compared to the potential it would still be a very, very bad day. Then there's the aftermath of radiation concerns. I think one of the worst things that could happen is for someone in a position of power to decide to use a small nuke and set a precedent for using them periodically.
Don't get me wrong... Nukes are dangerous.. In the short run they can make for a very bad lifestyle.... But to hear a lot of folks rant one nuke goes boom and it's the end of human kind. Or I always hear the "Enough TNT to blow up every person with x pounds each" thingy and Nukes are not like Parkay you can spread evenly.. Just don't work that way....

And for fallout... If you listen to doom and gloom folks you would think a place would be a waste land for centuries after a nuke never even considering that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were being rebuilt within months of the blasts and today they have a lower cancer rate than Denver Colo... We hear the big screams about 3 mile Island yet No One Died there and the Cancer rates have not statistically changed a fraction... In Chernobyl a group of folks died that were exposed directly but today there is vast areas abandoned that have either no radiation or a few spots that could be cleaned up quickly and put back into production but the Fear Factor caused by the Doom and Gloom world will leave a vast region to waste.. Most don't even know that People still work at the Nuke plant their and that the other reactor that didn't go boom was up and running until a few years ago when it was shut down due to cost because of line loss due to the distance before the power reached populated areas...

Again radiation can be bad but more people were killed building Hoover Dam than have been killed in Power Plant Nuke accidents around the world combined.....
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95315 Feb 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong... Nukes are dangerous.. In the short run they can make for a very bad lifestyle.... But to hear a lot of folks rant one nuke goes boom and it's the end of human kind. Or I always hear the "Enough TNT to blow up every person with x pounds each" thingy and Nukes are not like Parkay you can spread evenly.. Just don't work that way....
And for fallout... If you listen to doom and gloom folks you would think a place would be a waste land for centuries after a nuke never even considering that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were being rebuilt within months of the blasts and today they have a lower cancer rate than Denver Colo... We hear the big screams about 3 mile Island yet No One Died there and the Cancer rates have not statistically changed a fraction... In Chernobyl a group of folks died that were exposed directly but today there is vast areas abandoned that have either no radiation or a few spots that could be cleaned up quickly and put back into production but the Fear Factor caused by the Doom and Gloom world will leave a vast region to waste.. Most don't even know that People still work at the Nuke plant their and that the other reactor that didn't go boom was up and running until a few years ago when it was shut down due to cost because of line loss due to the distance before the power reached populated areas...
Again radiation can be bad but more people were killed building Hoover Dam than have been killed in Power Plant Nuke accidents around the world combined.....
Go to www.jw.org and look for the Watchtower January 2013 "Should You Fear the End of the World"

Somerset, KY

#95317 Feb 20, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to www.jw.org and look for the Watchtower January 2013 "Should You Fear the End of the World"
Naw, I'll pass... Heard the cult crap many times have no need to read it now.....
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95320 Feb 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, I'll pass... Heard the cult crap many times have no need to read it now.....
I'm sure you have but not from Jehovah's Witnesses!
How stupid can you be

Georgetown, KY

#95321 Feb 20, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." quote by, hitler the christian.
Remember the kits that bolted to VW pans?
Hitler (Catholic) was as much of a Christian, as
a VW pan with a kit was an Excalibur!
Jesus said...
Love... Hitler did not LOVE!

Location hidden

#95322 Feb 21, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all on board for nuclear power! If we could build us a handful of big nuclear plants we'd save a ton of resources in the long run. But the specter of the Cold War looms...

Location hidden

#95323 Feb 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
An honest question: what makes you feel like the JW take on things is somehow correct while others are wrong? What element of the religion makes you accept it as truth? What was the argument made by the JW that compelled you to believe in it? What was your method of analyzing the claims, studying the literature, and evaluating it against other claims and other ideas to determine it was the true one?
so true

Morgantown, KY

#95324 Feb 21, 2013
Morning to all....
" live the way you tell yourself to, not what anyone else says, don't let anyone else tell you who you are or who you should be, don't let anyone or anything hold you back from doing exactly what you want to do and where you want to go "

Travel on each of you...
Radiatethis

Somerset, KY

#95325 Feb 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all on board for nuclear power! If we could build us a handful of big nuclear plants we'd save a ton of resources in the long run. But the specter of the Cold War looms...
The US has a TON of nuclear plants.

Bet you wouldn't be all on board for the end consumer COST per kilowat-or using one dem dar diviner rods trying find water supplies enough to run 'em...OR the training required to build, maintain and DEionize those suckers after their short shelf life have run out, and the then still active carciogenic spent rods have to be placed somewhere, to glow for continued years radioactively.

Let alone that little, continual hummmmmm, as radiaton fissions...under the DEMAND of continual MELTdown and leakage watches...as the common housefly expands by a few evolutionary milimeters.

PHYSICS REQUIRED.

Somerset, KY

#95327 Feb 21, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have.... Heard one cult you heard them all... They just use different punctuations....

Somerset, KY

#95328 Feb 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.. Nuke power is the Only source that can supply our long term requirements on this ball.... My motto is "Fission until Fusion"
GWB

Roseville, CA

#95329 Feb 21, 2013
AA Allen Tent Revival

Man with spine and stomach cancer who doctors have done all they can will die unless he gets a miracle from Jesus. Man cannot walk but was wheeled in to faith healer AA Allen. Watch AA Allen heal this man.

http://www.topix.com/forum/state/ky/TEQBSM980...
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95330 Feb 21, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
An honest question: what makes you feel like the JW take on things is somehow correct while others are wrong? What element of the religion makes you accept it as truth? What was the argument made by the JW that compelled you to believe in it? What was your method of analyzing the claims, studying the literature, and evaluating it against other claims and other ideas to determine it was the true one?
That is exactly what we are encouraged to do, "analyzing the claims, studying the literature, and evaluating it against (what the Bible really says) and other claims and other ideas to determine it was indeed the true one."
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95331 Feb 21, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.. Nuke power is the Only source that can supply our long term requirements on this ball.... My motto is "Fission until Fusion"
Why do you oppose wind and solar power in favor of daqngerous nuke power????

Somerset, KY

#95332 Feb 21, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to clarify... There is No Power source known to science that can supply the energy requirements of the Human Species as a technological species that reproduces at even a minimum level to continue the species over a few 1000 years of existence other than Nuclear....

Of our time on this ball the vast majority has been as a non technological species living as a hunter gatherer species (with the remote possibility of a past lost technologically advanced civilization)...

So to continue to enjoy the lifestyles most people enjoy today, and allow those peoples around the world to gain some level of comfort instead of burning cow dung to keep warm and living in mud huts starving to death, we have 2 choices.... 1 kill off several Billion people or 2 build nuclear power plants by the 1000's... Fossil Fuels will someday run out, Solar, Wind and other so called Green Sources cannot supply a small fraction of our usage even if we carpeted the planet with wind mills and solar cells or come up with a completely new energy source unknown to science....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 11 min gator 18
Husbands with friends 30 min john 4
teena Marie mills 35 min john 5
jason hughes 5 hr Cuzzo 9
jessica napier 7 hr hmm 1
brandon bryson 7 hr old friend 4
food stamp office 7 hr Jdp889 15
praying it's all a lie 17 hr Just the truth 5
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match