Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 134,339

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
MadameCurie

Somerset, KY

#95288 Feb 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
The christian cult claims that we can not disprove god, yet we have over and over again.
The earth being round not flat, germs not unclean spirits causing illness, spacecraft going much higher than the tower of Babble, the earth orbiting the sun, powerful space telescopes that show us what is out in space (no angels or heaven)
All are proof that there is no god.
and Biwl Gates invernted yer gooey hexathingy too-uh!

Modern Science can do amazing things sometimes eh?!

(PS: Sowwee, but the telescopes do NOT do black holes well, so there goeth your noeth proofeth-peabraineth!)

Question: Did duh dark one finduh the little clipping in regards to Derwoods manuscript repetitions yet? Do yew has a pointy tale, cloven feet and horns? we seez the forked tongue...just thought we'd ax about the rest of youz!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Bimble, KY

#95289 Feb 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
The christian cult claims that we can not disprove god, yet we have over and over again.
The earth being round not flat, germs not unclean spirits causing illness, spacecraft going much higher than the tower of Babble, the earth orbiting the sun, powerful space telescopes that show us what is out in space (no angels or heaven)
All are proof that there is no god.
All are Evidence..... None are Proof.... Proof is Only in the mind of the Individual....

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95290 Feb 19, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
All are Evidence..... None are Proof.... Proof is Only in the mind of the Individual....
HMMM, that makes sense. All are evidence that there is no god, lots and lots of evidence against, no evidence for.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Bimble, KY

#95291 Feb 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>HMMM, that makes sense. All are evidence that there is no god, lots and lots of evidence against, no evidence for.
Now that I can agree with.... In Science the only thing that can be accurately be called Proof is a Mathematical Proof and is a term of art in mathematics.... Other than that the Terms "Proof" & "Proven" are Individual Conclusions and never absolutes...

A single piece of Evidence may cause a individual to say a claim is proven but a 1000 pieces of evidence about the same claim to another individual may not cause they to say the claim is proven...

Take the UFO idea... I have studied 1000's of pieces of evidence and I am not convinced that UFO are extraterrestrial craft, I have even taken a photo of what could be classified as a UFO yet all that Evidence has not convinced me of the claim...

Others have seen just one light in the sky are are absolutely convinced of the claim that UFO are extraterrestrial space craft...
The Truth

Somerset, KY

#95292 Feb 19, 2013
This would be in direct violation of seperation of church, and state, but also the right of freedom from religion. I can't wait to see the justified lawsuits because of this theocratic bill.

To the people saying are founding fathers were Christian, you need to brush up on your history. Most were deists (excluding George Washington who though Christian criticized religion) Deists believe that there is a god, but he doesn't worry, or mettle in what we do in the world. The god in the bible obviously mettled in the world by burning cities, sending a plague on Egypt, and judging our very human nature to be flawed. In other words the founding fathers did not support your longing for theocracy.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95293 Feb 19, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that I can agree with.... In Science the only thing that can be accurately be called Proof is a Mathematical Proof and is a term of art in mathematics.... Other than that the Terms "Proof" & "Proven" are Individual Conclusions and never absolutes...
A single piece of Evidence may cause a individual to say a claim is proven but a 1000 pieces of evidence about the same claim to another individual may not cause they to say the claim is proven...
Take the UFO idea... I have studied 1000's of pieces of evidence and I am not convinced that UFO are extraterrestrial craft, I have even taken a photo of what could be classified as a UFO yet all that Evidence has not convinced me of the claim...
Others have seen just one light in the sky are are absolutely convinced of the claim that UFO are extraterrestrial space craft...
If there was just one bit of evidence that there is a god and we have life after death it would bring comfort because my belief that when we die we no longer exist, no more chemical reactions and electron flow, can be a bummer. But not even one bit of evidence for god has ever been found

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Bimble, KY

#95294 Feb 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>If there was just one bit of evidence that there is a god and we have life after death it would bring comfort because my belief that when we die we no longer exist, no more chemical reactions and electron flow, can be a bummer. But not even one bit of evidence for god has ever been found
At least no Evidence that can be Verified, Tested and Repeated... And that is what is required for any evidence to be considered valid...
Daisy

London, KY

#95295 Feb 19, 2013
"The Bible" is not an issue. It's the Gospel and Good News of Jesus Christ. For only those who see it as you, would have an "issue". I will be praying that you would have a sound understanding of the Bible.
kellerman wrote:
It's not appropriate to teach religion in school. we live in a diverse society and can't teach all religions in schools. One has to keep these separate, it's up to the parents to inform their children on religious upbringing. I thought this issue was long solved, but i see it keeps coming back up.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95296 Feb 19, 2013
Carl Sagan the GOD wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't even know how to spell "fossil". Argument Invalid.
I was not concerned about spelling when discussing evolution with a moron! I'm surprised you have enough intellegence to notice!

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95297 Feb 19, 2013
Daisy wrote:
"The Bible" is not an issue. It's the Gospel and Good News of Jesus Christ. For only those who see it as you, would have an "issue". I will be praying that you would have a sound understanding of the Bible.
<quoted text>
And I will pray to the good Lord Satan that you read your bible, start with this;
“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”(Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.
2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)
3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)
3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)
3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95298 Feb 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not concerned about spelling when discussing evolution with a moron! I'm surprised you have enough intelligence to notice!
Dont know what the conversation was, but If some one grasp the concept of what is being said spelling is nugatory.
So what if I mispell a word, you understood what I said!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95299 Feb 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not concerned about spelling when discussing evolution with a moron! I'm surprised you have enough intellegence to notice!
I'm sure few of us are surprised that you spelled intelligence wrong.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95300 Feb 19, 2013
Daisy wrote:
"The Bible" is not an issue. It's the Gospel and Good News of Jesus Christ. For only those who see it as you, would have an "issue". I will be praying that you would have a sound understanding of the Bible.
<quoted text>
"...sound understanding of the Bible?" Yes, I've got that and the bonus tee shirt.
You seem to be a nice, pleasant sort of person on the highway of life. But then, I'm seldom impressed with how nicely and pleasantly some people drive.
IntelligentDesig n

Somerset, KY

#95301 Feb 19, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>HMMM, that makes sense. All are evidence that there is no god, lots and lots of evidence against, no evidence for.
Is not "happendstance"
Never was, NEVER will be.

"Phi".

Get used to it.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Bimble, KY

#95302 Feb 19, 2013
IntelligentDesign wrote:
<quoted text>
Is not "happendstance"
Never was, NEVER will be.
"Phi".
Get used to it.
"So you say but cannot demonstrate" - Q
The Truth

Heidrick, KY

#95303 Feb 19, 2013
It's sad when a forum for debate of a theocratic law is lessened to trivial insults on ones grammar.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95304 Feb 19, 2013
“The Time Left Is Reduced”
TIME is running out for this system of things. One reason why many have come to this conclusion is that the very existence of humankind is imperiled. Why, a nuclear holocaust seems so close today that it is said to be just “three minutes to midnight”! Writing on the subject “The Shadow of the Bomb,” Australian journalist Nick Brash stated:“A stick of gelignite weighing half a kilogram is enough to blow a man apart. Yet the nuclear stockpile is the equivalent today of four tonnes of gelignite for every man, woman and child on earth. More than $500 billion has been ploughed into nuclear weapons and more than $40 billion will be spent on weapons around the world this year [1983]. It’s an awesome amount of overkill. Equivalent to spraying a lone mosquito with 10 cans of [the insecticide] Mortein.”—The Sun Weekend Magazine (Melbourne, Australia), April 23, 1983. It is hard to imagine the probable effects of nuclear warfare. Besides the death of hundreds of millions, the pall of global fallout, the ecological impact and the like, there would be incredible disruption of social, political and economic affairs earth wide. In fact, Dr. Brian Martin, a physicist and researcher at the Australian National University, admits:“Simply not enough is known to predict with confidence all the global effects of nuclear war.”
The future seems ominous indeed. But lovers of God, take heart! Although time is running out for the present system of things, mankind will not destroy itself in a chaotic nuclear holocaust. Of that we can be certain, for Jehovah,“the Shaper and Maker” of the earth,“did not create it as a chaos, he shaped it to be inhabited.”(Isaiah 45:18, Byington) Of course, if mankind is to be saved from annihilation, prompt superhuman action must be taken to end this system, as well as its nuclear madness. Happily, the Creator of planet Earth and mankind will soon destroy this wicked, suicidal system. Its time is short because “the great day of Jehovah” is imminent!(Zephaniah 1:14-18) Yet, how comforting to know that during that rapidly approaching day of reckoning,‘Jehovah will guard all those loving him, but all the wicked ones he will annihilate’!—Psalm 145:20.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95305 Feb 19, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure few of us are surprised that you spelled intelligence wrong.
You are a lot smarter than I give you credit for! That is better than saying you are not as dumb as I thought you are! Basically it is saying the same thing. Tee Hee!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Bimble, KY

#95306 Feb 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
“The Time Left Is Reduced”
TIME is running out for this system of things. One reason why many have come to this conclusion is that the very existence of humankind is imperiled. Why, a nuclear holocaust seems so close today that it is said to be just “three minutes to midnight”! Writing on the subject “The Shadow of the Bomb,” Australian journalist Nick Brash stated:“A stick of gelignite weighing half a kilogram is enough to blow a man apart. Yet the nuclear stockpile is the equivalent today of four tonnes of gelignite for every man, woman and child on earth. More than $500 billion has been ploughed into nuclear weapons and more than $40 billion will be spent on weapons around the world this year [1983].
It's not as bad as the Doom and Gloom crowd would have folks believe... Nukes are not as destructive as many would have you think... Some think a single nuke and the world ends... Or that a single nuke would lead to 1000's fired... First the Planet is a Big Place and your average Large High yield weapon of say 2 Megaton would give a initial blast radius of about 1.6miles with a pressure of 15psi.... Yep Dead... but out at 9mile radius the psi is down to 1 and very survivable... A very small number of war heads are that large... 90% are in the 2 kiloton range... A big one can take out a city say the size of Detroit, New York, Chicago... but to Kill All of man as the gloom and doom like to make folks think you would have to launch every weapon in every arsenal of every country and nicely spread them around the globe and there would still be vast areas left untouched by the detonations... But that would of course because the primary targets of the first strikes would be on known launch facilities taking out about 50% to 70% of the war heads right off the bat... and those first go around would use up about 25% of the global stock piles in lesser populated areas where most launch facilities are located... After which secondary launches would be in question as the assorted countries survey the mess... then would come a few weeks of keeping underground or out of fall out areas and life would raise it's head to rebuild a new less technologically based world... Life would go on and planet earth would keep spinning along..... Civilizations would fall and new ones would rise just as has happened many times in our past....

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95307 Feb 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not as bad as the Doom and Gloom crowd would have folks believe... Nukes are not as destructive as many would have you think... Some think a single nuke and the world ends... Or that a single nuke would lead to 1000's fired... First the Planet is a Big Place and your average Large High yield weapon of say 2 Megaton would give a initial blast radius of about 1.6miles with a pressure of 15psi.... Yep Dead... but out at 9mile radius the psi is down to 1 and very survivable... A very small number of war heads are that large... 90% are in the 2 kiloton range... A big one can take out a city say the size of Detroit, New York, Chicago... but to Kill All of man as the gloom and doom like to make folks think you would have to launch every weapon in every arsenal of every country and nicely spread them around the globe and there would still be vast areas left untouched by the detonations... But that would of course because the primary targets of the first strikes would be on known launch facilities taking out about 50% to 70% of the war heads right off the bat... and those first go around would use up about 25% of the global stock piles in lesser populated areas where most launch facilities are located... After which secondary launches would be in question as the assorted countries survey the mess... then would come a few weeks of keeping underground or out of fall out areas and life would raise it's head to rebuild a new less technologically based world... Life would go on and planet earth would keep spinning along..... Civilizations would fall and new ones would rise just as has happened many times in our past....
When I was a teen in the 80s I was pretty terrified of the nukes. I agree that the previous poster's little rant was way overblown, however I would NEVER underestimate the devastation that could follow a nuclear strike. Even if the casualties were relatively small compared to the potential it would still be a very, very bad day. Then there's the aftermath of radiation concerns. I think one of the worst things that could happen is for someone in a position of power to decide to use a small nuke and set a precedent for using them periodically.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joshua vandusen 3 hr Sad 4
Review: Cumberland Outdoors LLC 3 hr William Mahony 1
Brett ledford 6 hr gator 2
Kim Helton in jail!! (Dec '13) 10 hr lol 28
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 12 hr Princess Hey 3,747
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 12 hr Princess Hey 637
flat lick Hammons Brothers Arrested--joseph/w.f... 13 hr Truth Speaker 8
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 13 hr Spur41 72

Winter Storm Warning for Knox County was issued at March 04 at 4:10AM EST

Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:11 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:11PM
Titans Release Bernard Pollard
NFL 4:12 PM
Titans to release safety Bernard Pollard
NFL 6:04 AM
Bernard Pollard thinks Titans need winning attitude
NBC Sports 8:28 PM
Reports: Ted Ginn visiting Titans, 49ers
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Weighing the Pros and Cons of Top Free-Agent Targets