Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
90,961 - 90,980 of 128,669 Comments Last updated 20 min ago

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95137
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

I'll take Maimonides' ethical discussion of the Amalekites over Yiago's.

Christianity isn't the same as Judaism, the God of the New Testament isn't the same as the God of the Torah. Nor is Judaism or Christianity practiced today, the same way it was during their founding.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95138
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
I'll take Maimonides' ethical discussion of the Amalekites over Yiago's.
Christianity isn't the same as Judaism, the God of the New Testament isn't the same as the God of the Torah. Nor is Judaism or Christianity practiced today, the same way it was during their founding.
You think this:

"This is what the Lord Almighty says:“I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.”’"

Means this:

1 Samuel 15

"the commandment of killing out the nation of Amalek requires the Jewish people to peacefully request of them to accept upon themselves the Noachide laws and pay a tax to the Jewish kingdom. Only if they refuse must they be physically killed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalek

If that is truly how you reason then it is not shocking that your posts read like random bits of meaningless bunk. You simply do not know how to read.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95139
Feb 17, 2013
 
The "1 Samuel 15" should have been above the Bible quote, natch. My bad.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95140
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
Christianity isn't the same as Judaism, the God of the New Testament isn't the same as the God of the Torah. Nor is Judaism or Christianity practiced today, the same way it was during their founding.
I agree. The Bible has many gods. But once you accept this your foundation for believing any of it is eroded. Why should we accept any tenet of the Bible if we can reject others?

It is a treasured old book. Not the best story ever told, but pretty cool old mythology. The Christians who demand it to be perfect are making a mockery of the whole thing.

Why can't people just take it as mythology and parable and go on about their business? Why must we use it to bash gays, reject science, and convince people they are going to be tortured for eternity?

It's f*cking stupid.
AReader

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95141
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text> In the following parable, Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.
The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
What the christian cult does not tell you is that everything was only for the Jews, Jesus hated every one else
Interpretation is in the view of the beholder.

In many instances, it sounded more like Jesus disliked the capatilists of the time.(and the lemming herd pack socilaists worshippers of the Pharoahs)

so·cial·ism (ssh-lzm)
n.
1. Any of various theories or systems of social organization in which the means of producing and distributing goods is owned collectively or by a centralized government that often plans and controls the economy.
2. The stage in Marxist-Leninist theory intermediate between capitalism and communism, in which collective ownership of the economy under the dictatorship of the proletariat has not yet been successfully achieved.

Hilter was a T-total Socialist-his roots derived of the German SOCIALIST workers party-Ie: NAZI's (and SS, NOT to be confused with the SA party), in plague lock step reaction/imitation to then Russian COMMIEtic leader Stalin.

ALL poliTICally motivated, out of greed, corruption and meglomaniac desires for POWER of leadership-NOT due to "Christianity". That implication is SOOOO lame-as if the many Poles, Checzs, Italians, Bavarian and any other Christians-delighted in their OWN being sent to gas chambers.
Get a clue-and don't believe everything lunaTIC lemmings try and twisted and distortedy puke out at you.
AReader

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95142
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The Bible has many gods. But once you accept this your foundation for believing any of it is eroded. Why should we accept any tenet of the Bible if we can reject others?
It is a treasured old book. Not the best story ever told, but pretty cool old mythology. The Christians who demand it to be perfect are making a mockery of the whole thing.
Why can't people just take it as mythology and parable and go on about their business? Why must we use it to bash gays, reject science, and convince people they are going to be tortured for eternity?
It's f*cking stupid.
Being extreme, dark age, hung up on old testament junk is stupid.

That's why there's a New Testament.
AReader

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95143
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Satanic Priest wrote:
I have been converted, can you say amen? Now to spread the word of god and the good news of jesus I will need money, lots of money, for my ministry. So send me your donations to;
con jobs are us
bullshit way
brainwash, usa
so that I can spread the word blah blah blah or else god will cause an earthquake and thunderstorm to show his anger
Let's compare-

1.Hitler established a ‘Cult of Hitler Worship’.
He believed that people in Germany needed to see him as a father figure who would take care of them from the ‘cradle to the grave’. This would ensure his continuence as an absolute leader.
2.Hitler used a series of propaganda and threat of terror to achieve his cult status.
Posters were put up everywhere of Hitler, Mein Kampf was given as a special gift to married couples and children on special occasions, his speeches were broadcast all over Germany and the 3.Youth were made to worship him.
(Clare, J. Stalin vs Hitler.net )

See, Twisted and warped needs no religious prerequisite-just corruption and greed.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95144
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Hitler was a religie and some religies are self proclaimed nazis. Actually one self proclaimed nazi still posts on here under a different name but the nazi rhetoric is still there.
AReader

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95145
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

LOL in a suit wrote:
Hitler was a religie and some religies are self proclaimed nazis. Actually one self proclaimed nazi still posts on here under a different name but the nazi rhetoric is still there.
WRONG. Hitler was a sociopathic PAGAN HEATHEN.

In Mein Kampf (1925) Hitler criticized the Catholic Church in its political form, which he said failed to recognize Germany’s and Europe’s “racial problem”. His Party Charter for the nascent Nazional Sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter Partei demanded in Article 24, in contrast to strong Christian control of German’s spiritual life,“complete freedom of religion”(in so far, of course, as that was not a “danger to Germany”)(William Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Arrow, 1991). Indeed, the official “Nazi Party Philosopher”, Alfred Rosenberg,(later to be hanged at Nuremberg), appointed of course with Hitler’s consent, was totally opposed to Christianity. However, Hitler the politician was also aware that to achieve power he would need to win votes from the Catholic Centre Party and could not afford total alienation.

Upon attaining office and enjoying a free hand, what line did Hitler take on religion and the Church? Five days after becoming Chancellor in 1933, Hitler allowed a sterilization law to pass, and had the Catholic Youth League disbanded (Shirer, The Rise). The latter was a measure applied to other youth organizations too, in order to free up young people to join the Hitler Youth. At the same time, Hitler also made an agreement with the Vatican to allow the Catholic Church to regulate its own affairs.(It is probably worth noting here the low value that Hitler placed on written agreements.) Parents were pressured to take their children out of religious schools. When the Church organized voluntary out-of-hours religious classes, the Nazi government responded by banning state-employed teachers from taking part. The Crucifix symbol was even at one point banned from classrooms in one particular jurisdiction, Oldenburg, in 1936, but the measure met with fierce public resistance and was rescinded. Hitler remained conscious of the affection for the Church felt in some quarters of Germany, particularly Bavaria. Later on, though, a wartime metal shortage was used as the excuse for melting church bells (Richard Grunberger, The Twelve Year Reich, Henry Holt, Henry Holt, 1979 and Richard Grunberger, A Social History of the Third Reich, Penguin, 1991).

Hitler’s references to providence and God and the ritualistic pageantry of Nazism were more than likely pagan than Christian. Earthly symbols of German valour and Teutonic strength were to be worshipped - not the forgiving, compassionate representative of an “Eastern Mediterranean servant ethic imposed on credulous ancient Germans by force and subterfuge”(the phrase is Burleigh’s own, in Michael Burleigh, The Third Reich: a New History, Pan, 2001). A Hitler Youth marching song (Grunberger, A Social History) illustrates it:

We follow not Christ, but Horst Wessel,
Away with incense and Holy Water,
The Church can go hang for all we care,
The Swastika brings salvation on Earth.

Get a REAL clue-and stop spreading LIES against innocent people!
AReader

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95146
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

LOL in a suit wrote:
Hitler was a religie and some religies are self proclaimed nazis. Actually one self proclaimed nazi still posts on here under a different name but the nazi rhetoric is still there.
untersuchen Sie Ihren eigenen Spiegel von Selbst, um das zu sehen, dem Sie von sprechen

Or en Englais-

look into your own mirror of self to see that which you speak of
CommieTicsandZea lots

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95147
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

LOL in a suit wrote:
Hitler was a religie and some religies are self proclaimed nazis. Actually one self proclaimed nazi still posts on here under a different name but the nazi rhetoric is still there.
and the PROPOGANDA of!

Those who try and DENY the rights of ALL to-

"Fweedom of religion" and demand in true IGNORANCE, and in disrespect and intolerance for OTHERS, that ALL instead adhere to their way of fweeDUHM "from".

Which is EXACTlY what Hitler, the evile sociopath, tried to do.

GOD Bless AMERICA and true DEMOCRACY.

Because commieTics and the paganism of bites!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95148
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

AReader wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG. Hitler was a sociopathic PAGAN HEATHEN.
In Mein Kampf (1925) Hitler criticized the Catholic Church in its political form, which he said failed to recognize Germany’s and Europe’s “racial problem”. His Party Charter for the nascent Nazional Sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter Partei demanded in Article 24, in contrast to strong Christian control of German’s spiritual life,“complete freedom of religion”(in so far, of course, as that was not a “danger to Germany”)(William Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Arrow, 1991). Indeed, the official “Nazi Party Philosopher”, Alfred Rosenberg,(later to be hanged at Nuremberg), appointed of course with Hitler’s consent, was totally opposed to Christianity. However, Hitler the politician was also aware that to achieve power he would need to win votes from the Catholic Centre Party and could not afford total alienation.
Upon attaining office and enjoying a free hand, what line did Hitler take on religion and the Church? Five days after becoming Chancellor in 1933, Hitler allowed a sterilization law to pass, and had the Catholic Youth League disbanded (Shirer, The Rise). The latter was a measure applied to other youth organizations too, in order to free up young people to join the Hitler Youth. At the same time, Hitler also made an agreement with the Vatican to allow the Catholic Church to regulate its own affairs.(It is probably worth noting here the low value that Hitler placed on written agreements.) Parents were pressured to take their children out of religious schools. When the Church organized voluntary out-of-hours religious classes, the Nazi government responded by banning state-employed teachers from taking part. The Crucifix symbol was even at one point banned from classrooms in one particular jurisdiction, Oldenburg, in 1936, but the measure met with fierce public resistance and was rescinded. Hitler remained conscious of the affection for the Church felt in some quarters of Germany, particularly Bavaria. Later on, though, a wartime metal shortage was used as the excuse for melting church bells (Richard Grunberger, The Twelve Year Reich, Henry Holt, Henry Holt, 1979 and Richard Grunberger, A Social History of the Third Reich, Penguin, 1991).
Hitler’s references to providence and God and the ritualistic pageantry of Nazism were more than likely pagan than Christian. Earthly symbols of German valour and Teutonic strength were to be worshipped - not the forgiving, compassionate representative of an “Eastern Mediterranean servant ethic imposed on credulous ancient Germans by force and subterfuge”(the phrase is Burleigh’s own, in Michael Burleigh, The Third Reich: a New History, Pan, 2001). A Hitler Youth marching song (Grunberger, A Social History) illustrates it:
We follow not Christ, but Horst Wessel,
Away with incense and Holy Water,
The Church can go hang for all we care,
The Swastika brings salvation on Earth.
Get a REAL clue-and stop spreading LIES against innocent people!
I think it is a fallacy to compare anyone to Hitler or Nazis in the first place. It is an intellectually shallow way to argue.

However, when Christians try to argue that Hitler was not a Christian it is just as intellectually dishonest. We know that he claimed to be Catholic and that he used Biblical language and talked of God. We do not know what he truly believed, but that is true of anyone you care to name.

I remember some goofhead on this thread arguing for multiple pages that the Nazis were caused by Charles Darwin. On another thread some idiots have argued that pro-choice folks are like Hitler.

It is dumb as balls to compare people to Hitler because frankly it is just an easy target. He's universally considered to be a symbol of evil so if you want to vilify someone completely you might think of comparing them to Hitler. Don't do it. You'll lose the argument in a split second.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95149
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

AReader wrote:
<quoted text>
Being extreme, dark age, hung up on old testament junk is stupid.
That's why there's a New Testament.
Um...if you are a Christian then the OT is YOUR book. Not mine. If it truly is "junk" then how about we stop using Leviticus to demonize homosexuals? And let's stop using the OT to support spurious claims that Jesus was prophesied to come.

And for goodness sake pleeeeaaaase stop arguing that Noah's Ark was a real boat that held two of every animal.

Can we do that?
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95150
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

AReader wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG. Hitler was a sociopathic PAGAN HEATHEN.
In Mein Kampf (1925) Hitler criticized the Catholic Church in its political form, which he said failed to recognize Germany’s and Europe’s “racial problem”. His Party Charter for the nascent Nazional Sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter Partei demanded in Article 24, in contrast to strong Christian control of German’s spiritual life,“complete freedom of religion”(in so far, of course, as that was not a “danger to Germany”)(William Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Arrow, 1991). Indeed, the official “Nazi Party Philosopher”, Alfred Rosenberg,(later to be hanged at Nuremberg), appointed of course with Hitler’s consent, was totally opposed to Christianity. However, Hitler the politician was also aware that to achieve power he would need to win votes from the Catholic Centre Party and could not afford total alienation.
Upon attaining office and enjoying a free hand, what line did Hitler take on religion and the Church? Five days after becoming Chancellor in 1933, Hitler allowed a sterilization law to pass, and had the Catholic Youth League disbanded (Shirer, The Rise). The latter was a measure applied to other youth organizations too, in order to free up young people to join the Hitler Youth. At the same time, Hitler also made an agreement with the Vatican to allow the Catholic Church to regulate its own affairs.(It is probably worth noting here the low value that Hitler placed on written agreements.) Parents were pressured to take their children out of religious schools. When the Church organized voluntary out-of-hours religious classes, the Nazi government responded by banning state-employed teachers from taking part. The Crucifix symbol was even at one point banned from classrooms in one particular jurisdiction, Oldenburg, in 1936, but the measure met with fierce public resistance and was rescinded. Hitler remained conscious of the affection for the Church felt in some quarters of Germany, particularly Bavaria. Later on, though, a wartime metal shortage was used as the excuse for melting church bells (Richard Grunberger, The Twelve Year Reich, Henry Holt, Henry Holt, 1979 and Richard Grunberger, A Social History of the Third Reich, Penguin, 1991).
Hitler’s references to providence and God and the ritualistic pageantry of Nazism were more than likely pagan than Christian. Earthly symbols of German valour and Teutonic strength were to be worshipped - not the forgiving, compassionate representative of an “Eastern Mediterranean servant ethic imposed on credulous ancient Germans by force and subterfuge”(the phrase is Burleigh’s own, in Michael Burleigh, The Third Reich: a New History, Pan, 2001). A Hitler Youth marching song (Grunberger, A Social History) illustrates it:
We follow not Christ, but Horst Wessel,
Away with incense and Holy Water,
The Church can go hang for all we care,
The Swastika brings salvation on Earth.
Get a REAL clue-and stop spreading LIES against innocent people!
Tea party more like a extremist christian group.

Why should anyone believe you?

Did Christians fight for Hitler sure they did.

Did Boy Scouts of America use the swastika , yes they did.

A white swastika on a black field was the flag of an American Boy Scout Troop from its founding to some point in the 1930's, when the Troop itself voted to discontinue its use, in light of the rise of the Nazi regime.

Hitler said he's a christian.

"God is with us." "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." — Adolf Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95153
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Brian_G wrote:
I'll take Maimonides' ethical discussion of the Amalekites over Yiago's.
Christianity isn't the same as Judaism, the God of the New Testament isn't the same as the God of the Torah. Nor is Judaism or Christianity practiced today, the same way it was during their founding.
I wil grant that no christian has done an animal sacrifice but you still worship the same god that demanded animal sacrifice and demanded that you be joyful as you kill children.
Or do you have a new god?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95154
Feb 17, 2013
 
CommieTicsandZealots wrote:
<quoted text>
and the PROPOGANDA of!
Those who try and DENY the rights of ALL to-
"Fweedom of religion" and demand in true IGNORANCE, and in disrespect and intolerance for OTHERS, that ALL instead adhere to their way of fweeDUHM "from".
Which is EXACTlY what Hitler, the evile sociopath, tried to do.
GOD Bless AMERICA and true DEMOCRACY.
Because commieTics and the paganism of bites!
So what Hitler tried to do, and what the christian cult tries to do is the same.
Yes, Satan bless this land of rights for every one
to huh

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95155
Feb 17, 2013
 
Huh
CommieTicsandZea lots

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95156
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is a fallacy to compare anyone to Hitler or Nazis in the first place. It is an intellectually shallow way to argue.
However, when Christians try to argue that Hitler was not a Christian it is just as intellectually dishonest. We know that he claimed to be Catholic and that he used Biblical language and talked of God. We do not know what he truly believed, but that is true of anyone you care to name.
I remember some goofhead on this thread arguing for multiple pages that the Nazis were caused by Charles Darwin. On another thread some idiots have argued that pro-choice folks are like Hitler.
It is dumb as balls to compare people to Hitler because frankly it is just an easy target. He's universally considered to be a symbol of evil so if you want to vilify someone completely you might think of comparing them to Hitler. Don't do it. You'll lose the argument in a split second.
Hitler was a sociopathic, evile, power hungry, corrupt, thug- that disregarded anything he may have ever learned about HUMANE humanity.

In the top five of the most evil dictators of the 20th century.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely", and liie most corrupt and evil dictators, that was Hitlers ultimate quest.
CommieTicsandZea lots

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95157
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Um...if you are a Christian then the OT is YOUR book. Not mine. If it truly is "junk" then how about we stop using Leviticus to demonize homosexuals? And let's stop using the OT to support spurious claims that Jesus was prophesied to come.
And for goodness sake pleeeeaaaase stop arguing that Noah's Ark was a real boat that held two of every animal.
Can we do that?
you must be confusing me with someone else?

I dislike the OT, but do not discredit it's merit for glimpses into world history. I personally have always held preferable penchant for the NT.
As for Noahs Ark, I never read any such verses as being "exactly literal". For all we know (as we were NOT there) there may have been only ten types of animals in the vicinity of ANY flood.
That's my perspective, it's always been my perspective, and I'm sticking to it.
CommieTicsandZea lots

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#95158
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Tea party more like a extremist christian group.
Why should anyone believe you?
Did Christians fight for Hitler sure they did.
Did Boy Scouts of America use the swastika , yes they did.
A white swastika on a black field was the flag of an American Boy Scout Troop from its founding to some point in the 1930's, when the Troop itself voted to discontinue its use, in light of the rise of the Nazi regime.
Hitler said he's a christian.
"God is with us." "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." — Adolf Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941
Know him personally did you?

What's your point? LOTS of people joined the ranks of the NAZI's, those that weren't condemned to the evil plans of the same anyway.

Hitler had obviously grown AWAY from anything decent learned from "Christianity" into a charlatan, a cretin and one sick in the head, souless, corrupted power hungry, sociopath.

The Boy Scouts made a good choice in denouncing the symbolic of stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

50 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
scott parrott living with another woman...what ... (Aug '10) 27 min friend of friend 12
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 50 min scirocco 146,294
Anthony Smith 1 hr candy 4
James Gambrel 2 hr ewww 3
hailey roberts 3 hr yepp yepp 4
Stivers Center fixes 6 hr get real 51
Any couples into SCAT??? 6 hr lady ella 12
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••