Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,904

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#95185 Feb 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>Biblical law has been the origin of human rights; we are all formed in God's image. Freedom of speech and expression is limited under biblical law; thank God for America. Animal rights are explicitly addressed in the bible, even animals share the Sabbath and you can't work a mule with an oxen to stop animal cruelty.
If we had been following Biblical law, we'd be killing people for working on the Sabbath.

#95186 Feb 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Not for that, for prohibiting men from sacrificing their kids.
.In the buybull, god forces a man o sacrifice his daughter just because he made a promise
http://www.womeninthebible.net/1.9.Jephtahs_d...
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Only if it was thousands of years old believed by billions today.
So it is okay for people to worship books that inspire hate as long as they were made thousands of years ago and are accepted by billions of people?
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Like, that's what I believe?
You believe in a God that admits that he created evil, that he is filled with jealousy, a sexist god who demands that women obey men, a God that condones slavery, a god that believes in murder, a god that killed people for working on Sabbath, a God that killed a man for spilling his seed, a god that killed people just because their king took a census.

#95187 Feb 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus Christ never demanded animal sacrifice and human sacrifice was prohibited in the Old Testament.
Jephthah killed his daughter cause god told him to do it.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>He wasn't Christian.
But he worshiped the same God as you do.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Not sacrificed, there's a difference. Don't take bible study with radical secularists, because they have an agenda.
Jephthah's daughter was sacrificed. But should it matter whether or not they were sacrificed, either way they were murdered.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Again, no sacrifice. People murder for the most inane reasons, why not tell that story in the bible too?
That is precisely why we don't need hate filled books like the buybull encouraging more people to kill.

#95188 Feb 18, 2013
Yiago wrote:
You'll never get a Fundie like Brian to argue logically about anything. However, he is correct that Christians never required animal sacrifices (that we know of). His point is that once Jesus was sacrificed the need for animal sacrifice was gone. So by definition a Christian could only exist after the animal sacrifice requirements were done away with.
However, that is really not the point. The point is that the Christians have a holy book that *must* be 100% true and accurate. And that holy book includes many, many troubling stories and passages that indicate their god is quite the bloodthirsty a**hole.
The slaughter of the Amalekites is often used to demonstrate this fact. And for good reason. Because in that story god commands his warriors to kill everyone. Breaking from the traditional ways of war, he commands them to even kill the little kids. And they are reprimanded when they spare some people.
So the god that said kill the kids too is EXACTLY THE SAME GOD who *is* Jesus Christ. Kind of a problem for Christians who want to take their Bible literally or as reflecting a single god.
Brian continues make excuses like saying that the ancient Jews were not Christians and so Christians are not responsible for their crimes, of course he ignores the fact that Christianity comes from ancient Judaism and that he and his fellow believers still see the Old Testament as a holy and divinely inspired book.

#95189 Feb 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I'll take Maimonides' ethical discussion of the Amalekites over Yiago's.
Christianity isn't the same as Judaism, the God of the New Testament isn't the same as the God of the Torah. Nor is Judaism or Christianity practiced today, the same way it was during their founding.
That is not what your Jewus said. He said that his father was the father of Abraham. He said he came to fulfill the Old Testament.

#95190 Feb 18, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Um...if you are a Christian then the OT is YOUR book. Not mine. If it truly is "junk" then how about we stop using Leviticus to demonize homosexuals? And let's stop using the OT to support spurious claims that Jesus was prophesied to come.
And for goodness sake pleeeeaaaase stop arguing that Noah's Ark was a real boat that held two of every animal.
Can we do that?
They associate and disassociate with the Old Testament at their own convenience. So they have no issues with using the OT to bash gays, or to claim that it predicted Christ,but when it comes to the murderous god and ridiculous laws, all the suddenly they divorce themselves from it again.

#95191 Feb 18, 2013
CommieTicsandZealots wrote:
<quoted text>
you must be confusing me with someone else?
I dislike the OT, but do not discredit it's merit for glimpses into world history. I personally have always held preferable penchant for the NT.
As for Noahs Ark, I never read any such verses as being "exactly literal". For all we know (as we were NOT there) there may have been only ten types of animals in the vicinity of ANY flood.
That's my perspective, it's always been my perspective, and I'm sticking to it.
In other words, you mold your god to what you like. You pick and choose what you want to follow. Your religion and our faith is a fraud.

#95192 Feb 18, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Do you know why people make the mistake of blaming God for all the suffering in the world? In many cases, they blame Almighty God because they think that he is the real ruler of this world. They do not know a simple but important truth that the Bible teaches. The real ruler of this world is Satan the Devil.
He is also mileading you into being an atheist. That is one way he is misleading the whole world.
2 Corinthians 4:4 ... the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.
I don't believe in God or Satan, No one made me become an atheist. What made me become an atheist was my own realization that
a)the stories of the buybull regarding creation were inconsistent with evolution.
b) the lack of proof of a god
c) the reality that the god of the buybull is a cruel autocratic tyrant.
D)the realization that the buybull has many inconsistencies
E) The fact that the buybull is plagiarized from many different sources.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#95193 Feb 18, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you own a confederate flag? What do you think of Obama?
NO, and I found one of his books interesting reading material, and the other to be a rendition of a US History 101 class for the most part.
Nothingbutsmerta zz

Somerset, KY

#95194 Feb 18, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Lmao, truth makes the religies(and self proclaimed nazi religies) a little upset.
Aisle 12 year olds, two fer one on tishues in pwetty, cartoon, sparkel, sparkel, gwitter, gwitter plaskit.

Fwee obammer velveteenage poster for worshipping wit purchase.

Feel better now?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95195 Feb 18, 2013
Why are christians so down on Hitler and the Nazi party? Yes they killed a few million people but the god they worship killed, and demanded the death of, ten times the people Hitler killed so they must be on the same side.
Here is the fact. The christian cult, a small minority of the population, wants to separate themselves from reality. So lets give them Texas and they can do as they please in their schools with their children and we can live in the rest of the USA with equal rights for every one.
Of course we would accept their children when they escape from the asylum.
CommieTicsandzea lots

Somerset, KY

#95196 Feb 18, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I guess we have a different definition of the word evil. Your god killed millions, said slavery and rape are good, demanded for you to kill children (now that is evil) so jehovah is evil and any one who worships jehovah is an evil devil worshipper. All Satan did was give us free will.
Jehovah= evil slavery, Satan = freedom
WTH are you babbling about fool? MY "God" killed no one, nor declared rape as "good", and never demanded any children be killed.

Is that in some Satan poopogranda of "fweeDUHm" the stupid book or something?

Religious freedom=the CONSTITUTION and democracy; Common sense, a brain and sanity="freedom".

Adult reading comprehension (at least 9th grade) required though.
CommonSense101

Somerset, KY

#95197 Feb 18, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Truth, information, and knowledge are the enemies of the christian cult. The Internet was (and still is) thought to be the "anti-christ" because it put information at ones fingertips
Both GOOD and BAD.

And here's an even better CLUE- People *themselves^ CHOOSE what they choose to read AND post on it, so don't even try and blame that on ANY God either.
CommonSense101

Somerset, KY

#95198 Feb 18, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
O my, jesus and the neutered testement was all about love and forgiveness. Lets take a look,
"And the jews passover was at hand, and jesus went up to jerusalem and found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting and when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen and poured out the changers money, and overthrew the tables and said unto them that sold doves take these things hence make not my father's house an house of merchandise."
Maybe he should have just ask them to leave but noooo,
love love love.
And revelations is in the neutered testement last I checked, now theres some love.
Can't stand it when anyone else displays a bit of rebellion?

Too bad, grow up.
CommonSense101

Somerset, KY

#95199 Feb 18, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
Good and evil;
More Baby Bashing
"The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because they rebelled against their God. They will be killed by an invading army, their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women ripped open by swords." (Hosea 13:16 NLT)
Jehovah is evil
See how long WARS have been taking place in this world. And guess what, there's NO such thing as a potus w/a majik warnd that has changed that.

Not even Obammer.

See: Syria, Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan and the list goes on and on.

And all of them are being initiated by humans, for LOTS of different reasons (the BIGGEST one being as usual, POWER grabs.)

Get a clue.
CommonSense101

Somerset, KY

#95200 Feb 18, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Religies are so funny,
Lets compare,
1. christians established a ‘cult of "god in a jesus suit" worship’.
2. christians used a series of propaganda and threat of terror to achieve its cult status.
3. Youth were made to worship this god also.
Lmfao what hypocrisy.
No religious holy books in public schools, they obviously create stupidity in humans.
This is the 21st century-school curriculums have LONG time been based on secular text books, so not to worry no one will make you or any of your offspring, read and translate from one language to another, the Bible.

See, no one will know-you, like MANY these days, couldn't handle the work of it.

Do try to step into the right century though, you're embarrassing yourself with your own ignorance.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#95201 Feb 18, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't.... That's a Logical Fallacy.... I Do Not Believe there is a God, Gods, Goddesses..... I am open to there being such when I find or I am Provided Evidence that can be Validated and Reproduced... Not believing in something never means you believe in something else....
:-) Whatever.... LOL
CommonSense101

Somerset, KY

#95202 Feb 18, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
luke14 kjv
Who decides that? Special understanding?
The one's with right and just spirits and NON-hatefilled hearts.
Matthew 22:39
New International Version (©1984)
And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
New Living Translation (©2007)
A second is equally important:'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
English Standard Version (©2001)
And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"The second is like it,'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.
International Standard Version (©2012)
The second is exactly like it:'You must love your neighbor as yourself.'
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
“And the second which is like it is,'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
The second is like it:'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.'
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
American King James Version
And the second is like to it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
American Standard Version
And a second like unto it is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

(ANYONE can "cherry pick")
CommonSense101

Somerset, KY

#95203 Feb 18, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Who claimed to be a Nazi? I might have missed that post.
Either way the point stands. Comparing your debate opponent to Hitler or Nazis is a sign that you don't have a good argument. I've done it, you've probably done it, lots of people do it. But it is not a good way to argue.
The desperate and vile, will grasp at anything in attempts to twist and distort. And the insane.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#95204 Feb 18, 2013
I've gotta go to work, but
didn't want ya'll to think I've died, and gone to Heaven before ya'll...
I'll try to catch up tonight!
You ALL have a Great day :-)
God Bless!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
German shepard 18 min Jackie 1
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 54 min Junes son Jeff Va... 4
How many kindergarten teachers at Lay? 3 hr question 11
terry smith from the creek 5 hr wondering 4
Brett 6 hr sorry 2
To the Garland family 8 hr Friend 5
Looking for a girl who will POOP all OVER me! ;P (Apr '14) 13 hr gator 15
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 20 hr Get a life 8
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:09 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 2:09PM
RT Eric Winston quickly settling in with Bengals
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Broncos vs. Bengals: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
NBC Sports11:17 AM
Peyton Manning officially questionable for Monday night