Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
90,861 - 90,880 of 130,546 Comments Last updated 17 min ago
comare

Manchester, KY

#95032 Feb 14, 2013
STOP already with religion in public schools! It does not belong there, period. END of story! That is why we have the freedom of choice to send our kids, and ourselves to the house of worship (or not, if we prefer that path) we want. School is a place of the A,B,Cs, and that's it! Tax payers' money is NOT for the teaching of ANY of the 1,000s of religions (just NOT Southern Baptists). Could we please have an Amen and put this to rest already.
WJWP

Indianapolis, IN

#95035 Feb 14, 2013
Yes, who's Bible are we going to choose? Once again we are taking the parents job and making the school do it. Parents don't have to do anything for their kids anymore. It's the government and true schools raising the kids today.
Based Allah

Hazard, KY

#95036 Feb 14, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
The rule of seperation of Church and State was violated when it became law that it was OK to teach the unbelievable religion of evolution in public school! Can you explain why it is ok to teach one single religion at the exclusion of all others?
Did you fall out of the stupid tree, or were you dragged through the dumbass forest? Oh my, I don't even know how to combat this amount of stupidity... Please, never reproduce.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95037 Feb 14, 2013
The Bible does not tell us how long it took Satan the Devil to talk Eve into a rebellion against the God of the universe. HE USES THE SAME TACTICS TODAY! 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95038 Feb 14, 2013
comare wrote:
STOP already with religion in public schools! It does not belong there, period. END of story! That is why we have the freedom of choice to send our kids, and ourselves to the house of worship (or not, if we prefer that path) we want. School is a place of the A,B,Cs, and that's it! Tax payers' money is NOT for the teaching of ANY of the 1,000s of religions (just NOT Southern Baptists). Could we please have an Amen and put this to rest already.
Yes I can say an amen and wait for you to insist that they take the religion of evolution out of the public school system. I see some who insist evolution had been proven but they never post the infallable proof that evolution is any more believable than most other religions. You see them refer to evolution taking place millions of years ago. Where is the proof? If it really happened it should be able to be reproduced but as it is science cannot reproduce (or create) a simple blade of grass. Yet the planet is covered with grass which proves what???? CREATION requires a CREATOR!
Napoleon said it best

Campbellsville, KY

#95039 Feb 14, 2013
Known Fact -
You do not understand science, at all.
A scientific law is an observed physical phenomenon that always occurs. i.e. things fall down, things at rest tend to stay at rest, or offspring are different from their parents. These are scientific laws. Note that there is absolutely no explanation for any of these events within the law, only a description of the observation. The explanation is the theory: in this case, the theories of gravity, inertia and evolution, respectively.
There is indeed a "law" of evolution, and that is that the genetic composition of a population changes over time (offspring are different than their parents). Every piece of evidence gathered so far from a wide variety of fields has supported the theory of evolution as the explanation for this observed 'law'. There is no point at which a theory somehow graduates to become a law. A theory is either upheld (as evolution has been, time and time again), or it is discarded (as spontaneous generation was).
If you truly disagree with evolution.....grab a shovel and dig. Dig down through the layers of Earth and stop when you find say a modern day horse skeleton on the same layer as animals from the Jurassic or Cambrian periods.
You won't. What you will find is exactly what evolution predicts (accurate prediction also exist within the theories of gravity, and inertia); and that is that simple lifeforms existed before more complex lifeforms.
Before DNA was discovered, the theory of evolution suggested biological relationships between species of the same genus. Low and behold chimps and other primates have more genetic similarities with us than say fish, or plant.
Finally your request to reproduce evolution to create a blade of grass, is infantile to say the least. You are correct, science cannot reproduce evolution...as science cannot simulate a billion year process because IT WOULD TAKE A BILLION YEARS!!!
If this is the best argument you can bring, please pray to your God for a better one.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#95040 Feb 14, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I can say an amen and wait for you to insist that they take the religion of evolution out of the public school system. I see some who insist evolution had been proven but they never post the infallable proof that evolution is any more believable than most other religions. You see them refer to evolution taking place millions of years ago. Where is the proof? If it really happened it should be able to be reproduced but as it is science cannot reproduce (or create) a simple blade of grass. Yet the planet is covered with grass which proves what???? CREATION requires a CREATOR!
I'm sorry, did someone confuse you? Here let me Clarify... It's called the Theory of Evolution... And concerning specific is it still theory bolstered by evidence that is readily available for your personal study. Some aspects that are the Basis of the theory have been indeed Proven and can be validated and reproduced simple by making the effort... The Evolutionary concept of Mutation can be studied, verified, reproduced in a study of viruses, bacteria, and human mitochondrial DNA.... The Evolutionary concept of basic changes within a species to produce variation that can better fit the prevailing environment can be validated, reproduced in the assorted birds on isolated islands or in canine and feline body types and variations, plus millions of other species... Not as for Evolution of Species I agree is is not Proven to an Absolute in that the Theory says such specie change requires geological time frames to reproduce and we mortals don't last that long... But the term Proven is a Subjective term and is really not used in science except in mathematics or by those that are using it for the uninformed masses to make points...

A person may see one piece of Evidence.. A bone, a paper, a fossil, a single character written on a wall, a light in the sky, a video ect.. and make the Personal Conclusion that what ever is being claimed is Proven... It's a human bone 50 years old, It's a page from the Bible a 1000 years old, It's a 100 million years old ant fossil, It's Sumerian Writing in Peru, It's a Alien Space Craft or All LAPD cops beat innocent people, ect...

Another Person may see 1000 pieces of Evidence on each of those issues and conclude that the Evidence does not Prove the claims made.... So the Term Proven is a Individual Personal Subjective idea...

To Some there has been produced and studied in the Millions of pieces of Evidence enough for them to Conclude Evolution of Species is Proven... To some there is No Evidence short of seeing a Cat give Birth to a Horse live and in color that they would consider Proving the concept of Evolution of Species, and even then would argue a 1000 reasons it happened had nothing to do with Evolution...

Hope this clarifies thing for you but I doubt it since your view seems to say a Invisible Extra Dimensional Alien snapped his fingers the Trillions upon trillions of Stars in the Billions upon billions of Galaxies scattered across billions of light years of the Universe did it so a tiny speck of dust we call earth would be home for 2 Humans and there offspring... Yea I can see a issue with your understanding of the term "Proven"

#95041 Feb 14, 2013
Napoleon said it best wrote:
Known Fact -
A scientific law is an observed physical phenomenon that always occurs. i.e. things fall down, things at rest tend to stay at rest, or offspring are different from their parents. These are scientific laws. Note that there is absolutely no explanation for any of these events within the law, only a description of the observation. The explanation is the theory: in this case, the theories of gravity, inertia and evolution, respectively.
There is indeed a "law" of evolution, and that is that the genetic composition of a population changes over time (offspring are different than their parents). Every piece of evidence gathered so far from a wide variety of fields has supported the theory of evolution as the explanation for this observed 'law'. There is no point at which a theory somehow graduates to become a law. A theory is either upheld (as evolution has been, time and time again), or it is discarded (as spontaneous generation was).
If you truly disagree with evolution.....grab a shovel and dig. Dig down through the layers of Earth and stop when you find say a modern day horse skeleton on the same layer as animals from the Jurassic or Cambrian periods.
You won't. What you will find is exactly what evolution predicts (accurate prediction also exist within the theories of gravity, and inertia); and that is that simple lifeforms existed before more complex lifeforms.
Before DNA was discovered, the theory of evolution suggested biological relationships between species of the same genus. Low and behold chimps and other primates have more genetic similarities with us than say fish, or plant.
Finally your request to reproduce evolution to create a blade of grass, is infantile to say the least. You are correct, science cannot reproduce evolution...as science cannot simulate a billion year process because IT WOULD TAKE A BILLION YEARS!!!
If this is the best argument you can bring, please pray to your God for a better one.
Well Stated and Dead On....
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#95042 Feb 14, 2013
Napoleon said it best wrote:
Known Fact -
I'm glad you brought up inertia:
1. Physics The tendency of a body to resist acceleration; the tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest or of a body in straight line motion to stay in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.
The very fact that things at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force and or things in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. Since the universe i full of objects on the move my question to you since you are a scientific genus can you explain how all of those got in motion? What was the outside force? Oh a brillant light just went off...maybe just maybe the outside force was the creator of the universe....God himself. True science agrees with the Bible. See Genesis 1:1,2
1&#8194;In [the] beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.

Ah ha the outside force was God's active force.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#95043 Feb 15, 2013
Known Fact: I noticed that you ignored the correction of your false statement that evolution is a religion. Please respond to this and save the subject changing for later.

#95044 Feb 15, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Physics The tendency of a body to resist acceleration; the tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest or of a body in straight line motion to stay in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.
The very fact that things at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force and or things in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. Since the universe i full of objects on the move my question to you since you are a scientific genus can you explain how all of those got in motion? What was the outside force? Oh a brillant light just went off...maybe just maybe the outside force was the creator of the universe....God himself. True science agrees with the Bible. See Genesis 1:1,2
2 Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.
"It is Impossible to have a Rational, Logical conversation with an Irrational, Illogical person" - Q

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95045 Feb 15, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Big Bang. Google it.

Also, there is a fallacy in your post. If we do not yet know the answer to a question it you cannot simply insert "God" and have it be true. Even if every single thing we thought we knew about the universe is proven wrong today you still would not be any closer to having proof of god.

You need actual *evidence FOR God* to have evidence for a god.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95047 Feb 15, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
The Bible does not tell us how long it took Satan the Devil to talk Eve into a rebellion against the God of the universe. HE USES THE SAME TACTICS TODAY! 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works.
Lets asume that the bible is real, Satan gave us free will by talking eve in to eating the fruit of knowledge and Satan killed no one in the bible. jehoava got pissed that we gained free will and killed 25,000,000, people...who is the evil devil?
yeh

Hyden, KY

#95048 Feb 15, 2013
Eternal life without free will and existing just to serve some vengeful god sounds lame. No thanks.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95049 Feb 15, 2013
yeh wrote:
Eternal life without free will and existing just to serve some vengeful god sounds lame. No thanks.
The christian cult wants to ignore the description of what heaven will be like for them in their bible. The bible says that they will lay prone in front of the throne and praise god non stop for eternity, a far cry from the paradise that they want to believe. No being with loved ones or having mansions, just on your knees praising god for ever and ever
Not for me

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#95050 Feb 15, 2013
Secularism has nothing to contribute to morality, teach your children religion if you want them to be good.
ReadingComprehen sion

London, KY

#95051 Feb 15, 2013
Interesting SCIENTIFIC factoid of the day-(or Modern day "fire and brimstone rain".

“Asteroid 2012 DA14 will not impact Earth, but if another asteroid of a size similar to that of 2012 DA14 (about 150 feet across) were to impact Earth, it would release approximately 2.5 megatons of energy in the atmosphere and would be expected to cause regional devastation,” NASA said in a statement on its website.

In 1908, a massive explosion shook a remote region of Siberia and knocked down millions of trees over an 820-square-mile area. Experts concluded that the blast, known as the Tunguska event, was caused by the midair explosion of a 150-foot-wide asteroid falling to Earth.
Courtesy of-

Boyle, A., Deluca, M. "Streaking meteor explodes in Russian sky, injuring nearly 1,000" NBCNews. Web. 2/15/2013
ReadingComprehen sion

London, KY

#95052 Feb 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Secularism has nothing to contribute to morality, teach your children religion if you want them to be good.
Or at least the Golden Rule of "Do Unto others, as one would have done unto themelves"

Pretty simple statement huh.

Have a nice day!

:-)
ReadingComprehen sion

London, KY

#95053 Feb 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Lets asume that the bible is real, Satan gave us free will by talking eve in to eating the fruit of knowledge and Satan killed no one in the bible. jehoava got pissed that we gained free will and killed 25,000,000, people...who is the evil devil?
Why raise hell while on Earth, when peace is SOOOO much better!
Trololol

Hazard, KY

#95054 Feb 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
>Implying you can't be a good person with morals if you're not religious

If all atheists left the United States, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Science, but less than 1% of the prison population.

Look at Sweden and Denmark, who are predominantly atheist. Perfectly fine, peaceful countries... So if you're going to spew ignorance, at least somewhat back it up, you fool.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 4 min Republicans Are S... 1,497
hot girl a the funeral home 7 min steve 8
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 32 min Cornelius Scudmister 151,269
stephanie wallace 1 hr g bounce 1
marsha drury (Jul '11) 1 hr Man 3
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr Ancient Wolf 81,599
2012 Ginseng Prices (Oct '12) 4 hr RobertB 120
Roger Vanover trying to buy perscription medici... (May '12) 20 hr Girl 40
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••