Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,877

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Napoleon said it best

Elizabethtown, KY

#95119 Feb 16, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Christianity's God never required animal sacrifice since He gave His only Son as a sacrifice for our original sin.
Wow. You do realize the coming of Christ is a sequel? In part one (old testament) God did require animal sacrifice.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You always cite biblical law, that parents can call for the execution of their child; that takes the law from the parents and puts it to the community. Now, cite the cases where children have been put to death for disobedience. Zero, biblical law works excellently more often than not.
It is not far fetched to believe that the bronze age barbarians who created or believed such a law, never enforced such a thing. Especially considering we can take a look at countries that operate as theocracies using the old testament laws, to witness parents who have their children stoned to death for being raped, and it doesn't seem unimaginable that they would do it during a time when they thought an eclipse was eating the sun forever.
Biblical law works excellently? For whom? For those who are deeply involved in the church? Sure? For say....women, homosexuals, and those choosing to believe in another religion....not so much.
And where exactly does it excel? Human rights? Freedom of speech and expression? Animal rights? No...none of those. Again, there are those who practice a religion which begins with a translation of the old testament, and they murder their own children for the crime of seducing a man to rape them.
The ethics and moral compass of a bronze age society, have no place in today's world. Enjoy the parables and proverbs, and if you find some personal wisdom within these, more power to you. If you want to tell everyone else how to live under penalty of law, or use a publicly funded forum within a secular society to do so, no thank you.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#95120 Feb 16, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Is this some new concept, God commands we love Him. I don't think S.P. knows much about ethical monotheism.
<quoted text>Christianity's God never required animal sacrifice since He gave His only Son as a sacrifice for our original sin.
<quoted text>You always cite biblical law, that parents can call for the execution of their child; that takes the law from the parents and puts it to the community. Now, cite the cases where children have been put to death for disobedience. Zero, biblical law works excellently more often than not.
<quoted text>There's a modern understanding of ethical monotheism and morality. If you don't buy it, offer something better. All I've seen is hogwash.
Psalms 137 verse 9 tells you to rejoice as you kill babies. And you no longer sacrifice animals because we will hunt you down if you do

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95121 Feb 16, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>We no longer make blood sacrifice to God or your idols.
<quoted text>I don't take bible study with people who don't appreciate the text.
<quoted text>That's not all the people who worshiped Baal did, they sacrificed their children. Do you get it?
The only reason that your cult stopped doing blood ritual sacrifice is because we will not allow you to.
We stopped your cult from killing people but be warned, what your cult has done will never be forgotten
endtime

AOL

#95122 Feb 16, 2013

----#---- NEXT POPE is ANTICHRIST

GWB

Roseville, CA

#95123 Feb 16, 2013
endtime wrote:
----#---- NEXT POPE is ANTICHRIST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mXWcaR0DuWoXX
You guys are scaring the bejesus outta the catholic school kids.
Tryan

Saint Paul, MN

#95124 Feb 16, 2013
You hillbillies dont make a lick of sense but you seem to be pretty good spellers.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#95125 Feb 16, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You evidently have never talked to Jehovah's Witnesses (even small ones)! Give it a try you may be surprised!
Yes I have. They sometimes knock on the door. I usually ask them why God allows babies to suffer and die. They usually answer by handing me a Watchtower tract, which I then toss in the garbage.
rational

Lexington, KY

#95126 Feb 16, 2013
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
I disagree, teaching the bible could cause many people to become atheists. Have you people actually read this thing? Ir just had it preached at you?

Location hidden

#95127 Feb 16, 2013
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny as watching the "atheist" (un)righteouness of rags igonrance hypocrites.
Lump and labelDUHMing them awrl and cawrlz 'ema ll DUH same anywayz lol.
That...I...

Damn, dude, I can't even *read* this gibberish. WTF?

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#95128 Feb 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>We no longer make blood sacrifice to God or your idols.
Still you honor as holy a book in which your god forced men to sacrifice their kids. That is like me praising Mein Kampf while denouncing it's teachings.

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't take bible study with people who don't appreciate the text.
Of course you don't. You don't want any non bias reading of the text. You want everyone to come to the conclusion that the buybull is the holy word without having read it.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That's not all the people who worshiped Baal did, they sacrificed their children. Do you get it?
The reason the buybull gives for why Elijah killed the priests of Baal was because they could not make Baal send a fire from heaven.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#95129 Feb 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Christianity is a product of the Jewish religion so the God of the old testament is the same as the new. That means the God you worship demanded animal and human sacrifices from his slaves.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>You always cite biblical law, that parents can call for the execution of their child; that takes the law from the parents and puts it to the community. Now, cite the cases where children have been put to death for disobedience. Zero, biblical law works excellently more often than not.
Well a daughter was killed by her father because he pledged a vow to sacrifice what he first saw. A group of boys were killed because they made jokes about a prophet. Another was murdered for spilling his seed.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#95130 Feb 17, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
The only reason that your cult stopped doing blood ritual sacrifice is because we will not allow you to. We stopped your cult from killing people but be warned, what your cult has done will never be forgotten
I'm not advocating forgetting the past, just being able to differentiate between it and the present. If you want to credit yourself with stopping animal sacrifice, but in fact, the change came from within religion.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#95131 Feb 17, 2013
Napoleon said it best wrote:
Wow. You do realize the coming of Christ is a sequel? In part one (old testament) God did require animal sacrifice.
So, admit Christians never practiced animal sacrifice.

It is not far fetched to believe that the bronze age barbarians who created or believed such a law, never enforced such a thing.
So, admit no child has been put to death for disobeying his parents under biblical law.

Especially considering we can take a look at countries that operate as theocracies using the old testament laws, to witness parents who have their children stoned to death for being raped, and it doesn't seem unimaginable that they would do it during a time when they thought an eclipse was eating the sun forever.
This refers to Islam, not Christianity or Judaism, where shame isn't communicable and remains between the individual and God.

Biblical law works excellently? For whom? For those who are deeply involved in the church? Sure? For say....women, homosexuals, and those choosing to believe in another religion....not so much.
Works for me.

And where exactly does it excel? Human rights? Freedom of speech and expression? Animal rights? No...none of those. Again, there are those who practice a religion which begins with a translation of the old testament, and they murder their own children for the crime of seducing a man to rape them.
Biblical law has been the origin of human rights; we are all formed in God's image. Freedom of speech and expression is limited under biblical law; thank God for America. Animal rights are explicitly addressed in the bible, even animals share the Sabbath and you can't work a mule with an oxen to stop animal cruelty.

The ethics and moral compass of a bronze age society, have no place in today's world. Enjoy the parables and proverbs, and if you find some personal wisdom within these, more power to you. If you want to tell everyone else how to live under penalty of law, or use a publicly funded forum within a secular society to do so, no thank you.
Our ethics evolved from the bronze age, their ethics evolved from the stone age; that's life.

Don't oversell yourself; modesty is a virtue too.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#95132 Feb 17, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
Still you honor as holy a book in which your god forced men to sacrifice their kids.
Not for that, for prohibiting men from sacrificing their kids.

emperorjohn wrote:
That is like me praising Mein Kampf while denouncing it's teachings.
Only if it was thousands of years old believed by billions today.

emperorjohn wrote:
Of course you don't. You don't want any non bias reading of the text.
Don't take bible study with secular extremists or radical atheists; this is what you get:
emperorjohn wrote:
The reason the buybull gives for why Elijah killed the priests of Baal was because they could not make Baal send a fire from heaven.
Like, that's what I believe?

emperorjohn wrote:
You want everyone to come to the conclusion that the buybull is the holy word without having read it.
I want everyone to study the bible, in school and out.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#95133 Feb 17, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
Christianity is a product of the Jewish religion so the God of the old testament is the same as the new. That means the God you worship demanded animal and human sacrifices from his slaves.
Jesus Christ never demanded animal sacrifice and human sacrifice was prohibited in the Old Testament.

emperorjohn wrote:
Well a daughter was killed by her father because he pledged a vow to sacrifice what he first saw.
He wasn't Christian.

emperorjohn wrote:
A group of boys were killed because they made jokes about a prophet.
Not sacrificed, there's a difference. Don't take bible study with radical secularists, because they have an agenda.

emperorjohn wrote:
Another was murdered for spilling his seed.
Again, no sacrifice. People murder for the most inane reasons, why not tell that story in the bible too?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95134 Feb 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus Christ never demanded animal sacrifice and human sacrifice was prohibited in the Old Testament.
<quoted text>He wasn't Christian.
<quoted text>Not sacrificed, there's a difference. Don't take bible study with radical secularists, because they have an agenda.
<quoted text>Again, no sacrifice. People murder for the most inane reasons, why not tell that story in the bible too?
So the christian cult is a new religion with a new god. You deny the god of the old testament so you created a new god. From your words.

Location hidden

#95135 Feb 17, 2013
You'll never get a Fundie like Brian to argue logically about anything. However, he is correct that Christians never required animal sacrifices (that we know of). His point is that once Jesus was sacrificed the need for animal sacrifice was gone. So by definition a Christian could only exist after the animal sacrifice requirements were done away with.

However, that is really not the point. The point is that the Christians have a holy book that *must* be 100% true and accurate. And that holy book includes many, many troubling stories and passages that indicate their god is quite the bloodthirsty a**hole.

The slaughter of the Amalekites is often used to demonstrate this fact. And for good reason. Because in that story god commands his warriors to kill everyone. Breaking from the traditional ways of war, he commands them to even kill the little kids. And they are reprimanded when they spare some people.

So the god that said kill the kids too is EXACTLY THE SAME GOD who *is* Jesus Christ. Kind of a problem for Christians who want to take their Bible literally or as reflecting a single god.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95136 Feb 17, 2013
I have been converted, can you say amen? Now to spread the word of god and the good news of jesus I will need money, lots of money, for my ministry. So send me your donations to;
con jobs are us
bullshit way
brainwash, usa
so that I can spread the word blah blah blah or else god will cause an earthquake and thunderstorm to show his anger

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#95137 Feb 17, 2013
I'll take Maimonides' ethical discussion of the Amalekites over Yiago's.

Christianity isn't the same as Judaism, the God of the New Testament isn't the same as the God of the Torah. Nor is Judaism or Christianity practiced today, the same way it was during their founding.

Location hidden

#95138 Feb 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I'll take Maimonides' ethical discussion of the Amalekites over Yiago's.
Christianity isn't the same as Judaism, the God of the New Testament isn't the same as the God of the Torah. Nor is Judaism or Christianity practiced today, the same way it was during their founding.
You think this:

"This is what the Lord Almighty says:I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

Means this:

1 Samuel 15

"the commandment of killing out the nation of Amalek requires the Jewish people to peacefully request of them to accept upon themselves the Noachide laws and pay a tax to the Jewish kingdom. Only if they refuse must they be physically killed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalek

If that is truly how you reason then it is not shocking that your posts read like random bits of meaningless bunk. You simply do not know how to read.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is the best looking woman in knox co. (Feb '10) 31 min billy 183
Need food badly 32 min County employee 45
Jessica Napier (Sep '10) 1 hr anna 120
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 2 hr parent 4
from someone that cared 3 hr carous 1
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 4 hr lol 7
Porsche mills 5 hr Well.... 24
To the Garland family 13 hr Well.... 3
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:00AM
Full AFC, NFC Playoff Outlook, Week 16 Predictions
NBC Sports 6:35 AM
Whitehurst: May not look like it, but we can win
NBC Sports 7:29 AM
Marvin Lewis doesn't get Jeremy Hill's touchdown celebrations, but likes how often he's celebrating
NFL 8:22 AM
Bengals player: 'I guess we're afraid of the dark'
NBC Sports 8:27 AM
A.J. Green back to practice after brief illness